Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM #1
thisoldman

Some advice needed

Yep -- I AM old. In retirement, I am always looking for new things to keep my mind and body active. Was interested in paintball awhile back, but you know the story -- job, kids -- priorities.

I am one to go into things prepared, so I've done my research on the 'net (articles, youtube) and am aware of the basics of equipment, play, etc.

There is an indoor place about an hour's drive from me. Thinking about going up sometime soon.

So -- back to advice. Assuming I should call ahead, what questions should I asking (I know a little bit that I got from their website, like hours and cost)? Anything else I need to do before I go? Should I go up just to watch and learn the first time? What should I be looking for if I do? What questions might I ask when I get there?

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.
thisoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM #2
aclark364

aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
welcom.
i say get in and play. my guess is youre going to rent. if there are other renters playing you shoud have a lot of fun. dont be afraid of getting hit. only thing i would think that would keep you from having a good time is if there was team practice the day you went. if so it would be harder to get one the field and if you did you may have to play against much more experinced players. i would call ahead of time and ask.

Pump OT
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 AM #3
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
look online for a waiver or be prepared to fill one out. as stated above make sure you know what type of play there is that day. if it is renters and recballers you should be okay. if you happen to go when there are a lot of teams there it will make is not as much fun. usually a field will divide you by skill level depending on numbers. if you are renting get there early as possible so you get a good selection of masks. rental masks are not the greatest so you want to find one that fits you well. pay attention to the safety video/instructions. biggest part to remember is barrel plugs on anytime masks are off. welcome to the addiction i hope you enjoy your stay.
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 PM #4
Poz1007
POZ

Annual Supporting Member
Poz1007 is playing at Living Legends VII
Poz1007 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Poz1007 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Poz1007 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
call and just ask for everything REQUIRED, have that and otherwise learn as you go
Poz1007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 AM #5
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
These guys have covered pretty much all the basics. Just go play. Only thing I can add is always, Always, ALWAYS keep your mask on until you are in an area the park has designated as a mask off safe zone. The dead box USUALLY is not a safe zone so if you are shot out and standing in the dead zone, unless told during the safety briefing otherwise, leave your mask on.

If your mask fogs up on the field...and if you're renting chances are it will...don't remove it to clear it. At best, get down behind a bunker and kind of "pump" the mask away from your face by a few millimeters with the strap still on your head a few times. This will circulate a big of air through there and help clear the mask.

If your mask gets knocked off...no matter how "safe" of a place you are in on the field, cover up your face and head with your arms, hug the ground, and yell at the top of your lungs that your mask is off. If the refs are good they will call a cease fire and get in front of you to protect you until the firing stops and they can get your mask back on.

I don't care what others do. I don't care what the refs do. If you're not in a designated safe area like the pit area do not take off those goggles. It may seem like a "no duh" but you'd be surprised what you'll see on the field. I've seen players have their masks off during a firefight (only to get hit right in the lenses milliseconds after they put it back on), referees taking their masks off in a hot zone, players taking off their masks to defog them then look down the barrel of a loaded and hot paintball gun to see why it is firing poorly...so please, keep your mask on when you're supposed to.

Other than that, go out, shoot people, have fun, repeat.

Last edited by Robotech : 10-21-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM #6
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends III
7paintball supports Sherwood Forest
Play and have Fun
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote