Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 PM #1
SPIFFIN101

Im 16 and newbie trying to make a list

Hi everyone very new to all this, my brother used to play semi pro speedball and i was really young at the time so idk everything i need. I have some left over gear from my brother but recently i just bought a red proto matrix rail 2011 edition for 125$ and i had a few ?'s or rather a list. I have about 100$ for small upgrades to the gun and an electronic hopper. I can get a halo too hopper for 40$ so thats like 60ish left over heres a list of things i thought i needed:
- on/off asa
- barrell
Also my brother claims for this gun to work right i need a carbon fiber tank, but i was wondering if id be good renting until i save up thr right amount of money for a carbon fiber. If you guys can reccomend anything else please do. So my main question is do i cheap out on a 14" barrel or do i even need a carbon fiber tank or is there a cheaper alternative that will still make my gun perform
SPIFFIN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 AM #2
Kable
Sheepdog

Kable has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Kable supports Ninja Paintball
Hey there! Welcome to paintball.

I see that you did not mention a mask/goggle system. Did you already have one from your brother? That is immensely important and should be your first purchase. If you can not see.. you can not shoot effectively.

A Halo Too is a fine hopper and will do well so that is a good choice, little upgrades like a speedfeed should be easy to find and rather cheap.

About the whole tank issue. It is not that you need a "carbon fiber" tank, it is that you need an compressed air tank instead of CO2 which is still common even today. You can find yourself a used steel or aluminum tank for pretty cheap here, or even new with the First Strike HPA tanks. I think a 62ci/3000psi "rounded tank"(which looks like a higher end tank) is somewhere around $60 new and will probably do well for you. But you will need to be filling it up more often depending on how much you shoot while playing of course, and it will be significantly heavier than a carbon fiber tank from say Ninja or GI Sportz.

Do not stress on the barrel, get what you need to play before you upgrade that gun. I always recommend taking that $40 that would go to a new barrel and spend it on paint at the field.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me bud.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:33 AM #3
SPIFFIN101

Hey thanks for being so cool about it dude i cant pm yet but yea thank you. Currently i have a cheap pair of mask and goggles whats a really nice one around the 30$ range or should i take a trip to like ebay and see if any one has or used gear sets?
SPIFFIN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 AM #4
cyberpyr8
Team Dixie Wrecked

cyberpyr8 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
cyberpyr8 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
$30 might find you a used mask. You really want a thermal lens or dual pane lens in the mask. I would rent a tank and find a good mask first.

Your rail should be fine as it is. I would 1. Get a good mask, 2. Rent a tank and maybe even just do a gravity hopper if you have to until you start playing and see how you like it. Look at other player's equipment and don't be afraid to ask them how they like their equipment. That's a better way to get what you like without wasting money.
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 AM #5
Nosaj2189

Annual Supporting Member
Mask: Definitely a good mask before anything else. You can find decent used ones for $40-$60. Something like the empire helix is $30 will do just fine if you want new. It has the thermal lens even and is pretty decent for the price point but isn't as comfortable as a more expensive mask and has hard plastic. Great beginners mask.

Hopper: A velocity or Velocity Jr. will do just fine. I used one for quite awhile before upgrading and I still have it as a back up. You can find these used for another $30-$40.

Tank: If you wish to rent one, that is great. If you do find you like the sport and are still low on money. Pick up a cheap 48/3000 for the time being. Again, I've seen them on sale for $30 before but typically they are $40.

New Helix mask - $30
Cheap electro hopper - $35
New 48/3k Tank - $40
Total: $105

Don't be rushed to buy things. Do a search here on the forums for used stuff before you make the plunge.

After you accumulate all of the above items. On/Off or barrel would be next.
One thing i HATE is going to a field with one barrel and the paint not even close to the bore of my barrel and it going all over the place. Really made me feel useless at times. (especially stock barrels)
Then I won a freak kit with deadly winds carbon fiber barrel for $65 on ebay so no more problems
Nosaj2189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM #6
smy1

smy1 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
smy1 supports Ninja Paintball
smy1 supports Empire
Buy a mask and just borrow a HPA tank from the field and save the money to get a good HPA tank.
smy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:56 PM #7
ekkthree
Hurry up and relax

Annual Supporting Member
ekkthree owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ekkthree plays in the APPA D5 division
ekkthree has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree supports Ninja Paintball
+1 to Kable

#1 is mask. always the mask.

if the gun is shooting well now, don't worry about any upgrades to it (asa, barrel, etc.) all that stuff is pretty far down the line.

once you've got the mask squared away, you can look for a high pressure air (HPA) tank. the lighter ones are carbon fiber but it's really the hpa (not co2) that's important, and probably what your brother was referring to.

tbh, if it were me, i'd get a decent hopper before a tank. you can get by with a heavier tank for quite a long time. but a bad loader day will be quite memorable.

Rotor shell
GoPro Hero3 Black
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5507321
ekkthree is offline   Reply With Quote