PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 PM #1
Kaiser1504

Unhappy Paintball Gear Suggestions?

Hello all!

While I'm not new to paintballing, I'm new to getting my own gear.
I'm also lacking in the whole paintball types/parts/functions vocab, so if anyone would like to fill me in on all that stuff it would be awesome <3

But this post is about the gear im eyeing and your suggestions for me LOL
Ill list them:

Tiberius T8.1 Pistol
Tiberius T9.1 Sniper
Gen-X Global GXG Paintball Lightweight Vest
Tiberius Arms Remote Air Adaptor for Tiberius Pistols
And this set for the not so serious plays... and the extra stuff:
Tippmann Gryphon Titanium Zephyr Paintball Gun Package
It includes:
Caliber: .68 caliber
Action: Semi-Automatic
Power: Air assisted blow back
Hopper Capacity: 200 paintballs
CO2 Capacity: Depends on tank preference
Feed rate: Gravity Feed
Capable Gases: Compressed air, Nitrogen, or CO2
Firing rate: 8 Balls Per Second (Est.)
Trigger: Manual
Finish: Glossy Painted, Anodize
Barrel length: 9.7"
Barrel Thread: A5
Length: 19.8"
Weight: 2.046 lbs
Effective Range: Adjustable (typically 150+ ft.)
Titanium Package Includes:
20 oz Co2 Tank
GenX Stealth Anti Fog Paintball Mask (Brand may Vary)
Maddog 6+1 Deluxe Paintball Harness
6 - Heavy Duty 140 Round Pods
Maddog Designz Jerk Squeegee
Spring Loaded 200 Round Hopper
1 oz Maddog Drool Gun Oil

Now, since all the gear is out, feel free to bash me with suggestions, criticisms and what not lol

I do have a few questions though:
Will the remote air adapter linked in this post work with both the Tiberius T8.1 and T9.1?
Will the T8.1 and T9.1 both capable of taking CO2 and Nitrogen?

Also do I have permission to PM some of you if I have more questions? LOL

Thanks in advance to all who respond <3

Last edited by Kaiser1504 : 07-20-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Kaiser1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2015, 07:22 AM #2
masiman

masiman is playing at Living Legends VIII
masiman owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Figure out how much you can spend total for your gear, then it will be easier to get suggestions for specific items. After you've spent for your gear count on $40-$60 per outting (paint and entry).

I'd rent at your local field a couple times if you have not already to solidify where you want to go with paintball. Think of the markers as consumable. You will likely go through a few of them in your first year or two. Not because they break but because you will want something else. Mask, tank, hopper, pack will likely stay the same though.

You'll want to consider getting a HPA tank (High Pressure Air) rather than CO2.

A mask should be one of your highest priorities. You will want something you like wearing, is comfortable, does not fog, easy to clean. I would try on others masks and that Platinum package mask before committing to it. For instance, I have a Sly Profit, that many do not like. I really like the mask but I am finding that I need a different mask for hot weather. The Profit is too padded and too confining in hot weather.

If you are not sure about the guns, research them a bit then look on the used market. There are some good deals out there.

I am guessing you are going for the milsim look. In my area, I see a few of them out there but not consistently. It makes me wonder if they get all the stuff and then decide they don't like it. People seem to prefer lighter setups, and milsim is not.

I can't comment on the remotes, I don't see them too often. But I have seen them fail on a few occasions. The look is cool but the reliability does not impress me.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:19 PM #3
jweav151

^^^ All good stuff; I'll fill in a bit more with the remote line though, as I love my remote and would never consider going back to tank on gun. I have gone through some headaches getting it to this point and I've also seen people reluctantly give up on them because they couldn't get their gun to work with it.

The most important thing about remote lines is: buy from an actual paintball shop after you have your gun, not a WalMart, Target, Sports Authority, etc. It's going to cost you a little more but this is a major "get what you pay for" scenario. There are two reasons to buy from a dedicated shop:

1) They probably aren't going to stock the crummy ones with a tank side adapter that actually blocks the flow of air off if you screw it in too much. In general, as long as you don't get a no-name brand off the internet you shouldn't have this issue.

2) You want to see how the gun side fitting screws into your ASA. Depending on the dimensions and configuration of the ASA, if the fitting screws into the ASA too deep or has a narrow opening on the gun side it can block the air passages in the ASA and cause the gun not to operate correctly. This is the most common reason why a remote setup doesn't work. A descent shop should let you try a remote on your gun with an air tank before you buy it. Don't test with CO2, though, it could work with CO2 just fine and not with HPA.

If you don't have a shop near you, buy online and get either a Ninja, Guerilla, Valken or Tippmann. If possible, buy from Amazon Prime or a site with a very good return policy, as you may need to trial and error different ones if you have the second issue described above.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:23 PM #4
Kaiser1504

Thanks for your lengthy and informative responses. I really do appreciate it

Actually, I have a pretty big budget to throw at this sport, so I'm actually considering getting all that was listed. But I will definitely keep the mask in mind.

Quote:
You want to see how the gun side fitting screws into your ASA. Depending on the dimensions and configuration of the ASA, if the fitting screws into the ASA too deep or has a narrow opening on the gun side it can block the air passages in the ASA and cause the gun not to operate correctly. This is the most common reason why a remote setup doesn't work. A descent shop should let you try a remote on your gun with an air tank before you buy it. Don't test with CO2, though, it could work with CO2 just fine and not with HPA.
As for the HPA, I was looking at ninja tanks on amazon, and apparently investing in a scuba tank for compressed air would pay off more in the long run, so I'm definitely looking at that.

I havent seen any youtube videos of anyone hooking up a remote line to any of the tiberius arms guns, so im pretty concerned whether or not its possible or how to achieve this.

I'm looking at the HPA tank from Ninja, a 90ci/4500PSI for a storage before i get a scuba tank, and a ninja 50ci/4500PSI for normal play. This was suggested to me, so im laying it out here to see what kinds of opinions you guys have. (If you guys can give me an approximate amount of paintballs i can shoot before both of these tanks go empty, that would be awesome lol)

As for the tanks, Im confused between an ASA and a Regulator, do I need either or both?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 PM #5
Sobo17
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser1504 View Post
for the tanks, Im confused between an ASA and a Regulator, do I need either or both?
The regulator is on the tank and regulates the pressure of the compressed air released into the gun. The asa is on the gun and is what the tank (or remote line) screws into. You need both.

As a rule, I usually recommend against purchasing package "deals" like the one you list because there isn't much value there. The included equipment is typically lower quality stuff that you'll want to replace after the first few times playing. A decent mask is essential if you want to enjoy yourself. If you can't see anything because your goggles are fogged up and you head and face hurt from the way the mask fits, you aren't going to have a good time.

I would also recommend holding of on purchasing more than gun starting out. Wait until you have played a few times before making the decision to throw more cash at another gun. This way you can figure out what features you want your next gun to have based on your experience playing with your first gun.
Sobo17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:37 PM #6
msteve22

msteve22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
msteve22 is an NCPA player
msteve22 plays in the APPA D5 division
Where do you plan on playing? If you are playing at an established field having a 90/4500 and a 50/4500 will be pointless for days of play. Generally all-day air-fills are included with your entry fee. If you are playing out on some land you or a friend own, then you will need the scuba tanks and what not. As for how much paint you can shoot will vary depending on the air consumption of a gun. A good estimate for the 50ci tank with a full 4500 fill I'd say is around 1000. The 90 you might push 1500 paintballs out of. But again, air efficiency can have a high effect on that.

According to Tiberus Arms's website you can use a tank in the stock, remote line, or a 12 gram cartridge. That is for the T9.1

The T8.1 pistol uses either the CO2 cartridge or a remote line.

Google Bro. Google.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying again.
msteve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM #7
Kaiser1504

Thanks for responding sobo17! Ive used the tiberius t9.1 sniper before and it was amazing. But the configuration was set up with my friend's preferences. This is why im looking into getting my own.

The package was meant to look for a gun that was affordable and something that i wouldnt be afraid of beating up or being a bit more rough with.

Perhaps i should just get the marker on its own and invest in the other parts individually?

Im still looking at the HPA tank from Ninja, a 90ci/4500PSI for a storage before i get a scuba tank, and a ninja 50ci/4500PSI for normal play. This was suggested to me, so im laying it out here to see what kinds of opinions you guys have. (If you guys can give me an approximate amount of paintballs i can shoot before both of these tanks go empty, that would be awesome lol)

Ty again!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:59 PM #8
Kaiser1504

Thanks for getting back to me msteve22!

I did google, heck i even youtubed. What im concerned about is more of how to achieve it. Sorry if it was poorly worded lol I have yet to see someone use tibs with a remote line.

As for where we're going to play, our group does a combo of both speedball and woodsball, so yes, i would use the 50 and 90ci there... partially why im considering getting a scuba tank (if you know of any good ones, lemme know pls <3)

Im also a bit unsure of what size tank people usually use for the tippman, or rather, what a good size to stick on there for the max play potential. I'm used to renting gear and having to refill every other round or so... something i might like to do a little less often.

Sorry for being difficult...and probably such a big noob when it comes to this stuff. Just trying to understand everything before i get into the sport.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:20 PM #9
jweav151

A rental set up is not a good gauge for how much air you should expect to use, unless you are going to get a 98C or an A5. Tippmann blow-backs are notorious air hogs, and the 98C which is the standard rental gun is the worst.

A Gryphon is similar to the 98C but the parts are lighter weight and the housing is plastic so it should be a little more efficient but I'm not sure how much. Based on what I used to get out of my A5, a Gryphon should get at least 700-800 out of a 50/4500 tank. Any other blow-back, except the Chronus, will probably get 25% more and a spool or poppet will get at least double.

If you're considering running a remote you may want to try a rental tank (3000 psi) before you drop close to double the money on a 4500 tank. I use a 72/3000 tank mounted on my upper back and I barely notice it's there, so it's not worth it to me to buy a 4500 tank. I'm also out of shape and using a tank that weighs a few pounds less isn't going to help me move faster anyway.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:25 PM #10
Kaiser1504

Quote:
I use a 72/3000 tank mounted on my upper back and I barely notice it's there, so it's not worth it to me to buy a 4500 tank. I'm also out of shape and using a tank that weighs a few pounds less isn't going to help me move faster anyway.
I was under the impression that higher psi would yield more shots. I didnt even think about the weight :o
Can I ask roughly how many shots you get out of your tank?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 PM #11
jweav151

With my Phenom I could probably get around 1500 with that tank, but I really can't recall running out of air with it, so I don't know for sure. I only carry 3 pods plus my hopper so I usually run out of paint first. I can tell you that with my A5 and the same 3 pods and a hopper of paint (~600 rounds), when I ran out of paint I was down to like 1000 psi, so a few hundred shots left.

You're correct a 4500 psi tank will shoot more than a 3000 psi tank of equal size; my 72/3000 tank gets about the same number of shots as a 50/4500 tank. However, my 72/3000 weighs like 5-6 pounds full versus a 50/4500 that probably weighs like 2-3 pounds full.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:35 PM #12
Kaiser1504

I see....
Do you have any recommendations for tanks that size?
Most bang for buck?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 PM #13
jweav151

Quote:
I see....
Do you have any recommendations for tanks that size?
Most bang for buck?
The 72/3000 was disproportionately expensive $100 when I bought it, versus the 62/3000 that is my go-to tank and cost like $60.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:14 PM #14
msteve22

msteve22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
msteve22 is an NCPA player
msteve22 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me msteve22!

I did google, heck i even youtubed. What im concerned about is more of how to achieve it. Sorry if it was poorly worded lol I have yet to see someone use tibs with a remote line.

As for where we're going to play, our group does a combo of both speedball and woodsball, so yes, i would use the 50 and 90ci there... partially why im considering getting a scuba tank (if you know of any good ones, lemme know pls <3)

Im also a bit unsure of what size tank people usually use for the tippman, or rather, what a good size to stick on there for the max play potential. I'm used to renting gear and having to refill every other round or so... something i might like to do a little less often.

Sorry for being difficult...and probably such a big noob when it comes to this stuff. Just trying to understand everything before i get into the sport.

Thanks!
It sounds like you play at an established field, not on private property? SO why do you need a scube tank? Maybe I'm just not understanding something lol. I geuss I never got into the whole pistol/sidearm stuff so to me it seems pointless. I've seen people do it, I just don't get it. One gun is enough for me.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying again.
msteve22 is offline   Reply With Quote