Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 AM #1
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Trey A supports Team VICIOUS
Trey A supports DLX Technology
I Just Bought My First Gun What Do I Have?

So a friend recently took me to play and let me use one of his spare tippman 98s and it was the most fun ive had i think.. EVER! I went out the next day and bought a tippmann A5 after shooting the marker im very happy with my purchase, coincidently i bought it used and this site says always try to do that. WIN. Now im curious because the guy at the store didnt realize it was an e trigger either and he was almost telling me that i couldnt get it because it did not work lol.. then he tried to say he might have to get more i hassled him about it because i had already left once and went to the atm. So i got it for the 150 like he said original and i also bought a 14" ceramic barrel because i felt the stock one was just to small.

So my question to you is..
What grip do i have? (Ill be posting the pic in an edit after i post this)

I want to upgrade it some more pretty quick here because the people im playing with are using mid grade guns upgraded so i figured it would help either way im the type that likes to have the best of everything but im not buying a $1300 dye marker either.

I was looking at getting a few things and seeking help with what i should get. (if im not aloud to post sites like this im sorry I am new and didnt see it in the post that i read before posting)

Upgrading the cyclone feed
http://www.punisherspb.com/rap4-tipp...grade-kit.aspx
I was originally looking at getting this because it came with the paddles but then i noticed there pretty much the same as the stock paddles so it didnt appeal so much anymore.

http://www.punisherspb.com/new-desig...mbo-black.aspx
Would this be a better choice? and i could also throw in the techt squishy paddles.

I have to get a new mask because my buddies spare is completely donezo I cant see a thing. I was going to pick up a $25 one at dunhams 2 of my buddies got them and they said they work great dont fog or anything. But after reading peoples opinions on this site about buying cheap masks Ive second guessed it any recommendations?

Is it worth buying the 4500 psi tank to replace the 3000 i have? (On the valve for this tank the little screw on it says 3k so im assuming that its a 3000 psi otherwise it says nothing about it anywhere)
Trey A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM #2
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
and i have no idea if this is the egrip that had 5 different settings ive tried hitting the trigger when the light was flashing havnt tried to to much but it didnt seem much different ill have to look into that again but im pretty sure for the 150 i paid with this egrip i got a good deal and i paid 50 for the 14" barrel

*EDIT* After messing with the button for a few minutes for real now i found out it is the egrip with 5 settings and the button is inside the grip it has the full auto 3 rnd turbo ramping all those so im GEEKED and im thinking upgrading my cyclone feeder next will be a good move

Last edited by Trey A : 03-21-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM #3
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
if it has a light flashing it is an e-grip. Now stop, and before you do anything else, do not buy that 25$ mask!!! The mask is the most important piece of equipment. Look around on here and find one you like if you wish to buy used. Dye i3/i4 are great as are empire e-vents as are jt flex's along with some others but you can not go wrong with the masks listed. Spend the dough and you will not regret it. As far as the tank, I would buy a mask and then re-evaluate your finances and if you have the cash then sure get a new 45 tank, it will be slightly lighter and give you a few more shots. Hope this helps and welcome to paintball
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM #4
13thLucky

I'm afraid I can't give you too much advice on the tippman; never used them myself, but a few bits of advice on the mask and tank.

For a mask you can get cheap ones for around $25 but I would strongly advise against it. You will want a mask that has a "thermal lenses". Cheap masks with regular lenses fog up very very easily; you're breathing hot air into one side of the mask and there is cooler air on the other which causes condensation. Thermal lenses actual have two layers that allow for a more gradual change in temp between your breath (and the heat coming off your face) and the air on the other side of the lenses. I think I speak for most players when I say that a thermal lenses is an absolute necessity!! You can get pretty good used masks right here on PBN that will have be thermal but still close to your price range. EDIT Zippin gives a pretty good list of the best brands above

Getting a 4500 tank will increase the number of shots you get per fill, but depending on the amount of paint you carry and the efficiency of your gun, it may be overkill. My advice would be to go out and play several times with the tank you already own. If you find that you are running out of air in the middle of games while you still have paint on you then you may want to consider an upgrade (remember you should make a habit of refilling your tank after EVERY game). If you are finding that the 3K tank is enough to get you through a game then there are better places to invest your money right now (for example a mask that wont fog up on you ).
13thLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM #5
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Yeah we all go fill em up before we play. but ill be getting a mask soon one of the listed ones more than likely prolly whichever i like most obviously lol.

as for other upgrades to the marker im going with the complete techt set for the cyclone feed from what ive researched its ALOT better than the originals.

but i got this for 150 and im pretty sure its a was e trigger which r like 100 if im not mistaken the A5 is still going for 200 so i got it half of what it worth, plus i already got a S2 14" ceramic barrel with the cyclones upgrades ill have a nice marker for 300 total
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM #6
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I run an A5 with a 14" Stiffi and few other external things, but no internal upgrades. I figure, though, with an E-trigger, you're going to want a good paddle kit and ratchet upgrade to withstand the high rates of fire you'll put it through.
TechT makes a good internal bolt kit, as well as a few other things. I would get the internal upgrades if you think that you'll put a lot of paint through it in a day, but if you'll just be using 3-round burst or something similar you shouldn't need an upgrade.

As for a mask, I like my JT Flex 8. I also LOVE my GameFace mask that I got at Wal-Mart. It was about $20, but it's actually one of the more comfortable masks that I've ever used.
It's all preference, I suppose...
You sure got a deal on that A5! I traded an AutoCocker for mine, and I paid $40 for the 'Cocker, so I really got the A5 for $40! It needed a little work, but now it shoots like a champ!

I would also look into getting an inline regulator. My friend and I both have regs on ours and our air efficiency has doubled (despite the nay-sayers in the Tippmann forum, I really do get 1000 shots a fill!) and the shots are more consistent.
Good luck and good hunting!
Noah
Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM #7
ballin4

in my mind both of those are a waste of money and are not worth it.
ballin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM #8
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I run an A5 with a 14" Stiffi and few other external things, but no internal upgrades. I figure, though, with an E-trigger, you're going to want a good paddle kit and ratchet upgrade to withstand the high rates of fire you'll put it through.
TechT makes a good internal bolt kit, as well as a few other things. I would get the internal upgrades if you think that you'll put a lot of paint through it in a day, but if you'll just be using 3-round burst or something similar you shouldn't need an upgrade.

As for a mask, I like my JT Flex 8. I also LOVE my GameFace mask that I got at Wal-Mart. It was about $20, but it's actually one of the more comfortable masks that I've ever used.
It's all preference, I suppose...
You sure got a deal on that A5! I traded an AutoCocker for mine, and I paid $40 for the 'Cocker, so I really got the A5 for $40! It needed a little work, but now it shoots like a champ!

I would also look into getting an inline regulator. My friend and I both have regs on ours and our air efficiency has doubled (despite the nay-sayers in the Tippmann forum, I really do get 1000 shots a fill!) and the shots are more consistent.
Good luck and good hunting!
Noah
what is the inline regulator is it where the tank hooks to the gun or is that just an air fitting? if its not the reg that the tank screws into where is the reg on the gun
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM #9
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

An A5 uses a standard threaded adapter called a Tombstone. This is found on the bottom of the marker where the air line is attached. If you unscrew the air line, it becomes a vertical ASA!
Now, most inline regulators screw into vertical ASAs, and most regs on the market will work with a standard ASA.
The A5 doesn't come stock with an inline regulator, so you have to buy an aftermarket one, but it'll save you big money on refilling tanks.

The small, silver tube in between the foregrip and the trigger is an inline regulator (where the macroline fitting is attached). This is my marker, and I slapped a WGP inline regulator from a Prostock AutoCocker on there. Now the efficiency is doubled and I can get more shots from a fill!

Any other questions?
Noah
Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM #10
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
egripped A5's are pretty sweet. other than that, i have no imput on them.

as for a mask, avoid the "cheap" ones if you can, remember, this is your Vision and Hearing you are talking about here, both of which are fairly important to future life if you don't want to be concidered "Disabled" for the rest of your life. Try on several masks before you make a decision, evaluate for ear coverage, and like was stated above for a thermal Lens.

If you choose to go into the world of Vforce masks(I have been using them since their inception) you do not necessecarily NEED a thermal lens. I have NEVER had any of my VForce masks fog. Ever. that is probabally why they just recently started producing Thermal Lenses. If you do choose to go down this road, and you have a Larger, or more full(read as fat) head, the Profiler would be a good choice. If you have a smaller head, the Grillz are probabally a good choice.

Grillz = Best mask I have ever used.

Depew Decepticonz/Lancaster ILLNatured - Coach
RIP USPA, AXBL, NYXL, NYPS
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM #11
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
@Noah that is a very nice marker so I am going to be looking to switch out t to the inline reg like yours any way you could link me to a place I could get one thats good for a good for a good price and the part behind the foregrip the extender piece that is the inline reg am I correct and the macroline is Wat runs from that to the air valve ur tank hooks to but im think I need a new air thing thay has the vert asa on the bot of it correct? Let me know
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 PM #12
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
@illnatured yea my head is smaller so I think I might go with the vforce grillz I havnt looked at them im at work on my phone. and I wanted to post first but thanks for ur input much appreciated all of you
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM #13
serafin_X
the Lumberjack

serafin_X is playing at Living Legends VII
serafin_X is an NCPA player
serafin_X supports DLX Technology
A couple of other 'cheap' goggle choices that aren't bad:

The Empire Helix is only like $30 and comes with a thermal lens. If you decided to get a 'high' end goggle later you can swap the same lenses with the $100 E-vent they make too.
http://empirepaintball.com/paintball...goggle-thermal

The JT Proshield is a classic. Its similar to the Pro-flex (and the aforementioned Flex8 above). It has a thermal lens but doesn't have the quick release system of the Helix/Event but it will breathe better and should be better for hearing. And its parts and pieces are compatible with the other JT goggles just mentioned.
http://empirepaintball.com/paintball...thermal-goggle

Empire is releasing a new goggle that's basically a combo of both the high end versions of the above goggles. So that could be an option for you too.

I'm not against Vforce or anything (in fact I love their rental goggles - from a field manager's perspective) but the Grillz, while comfy, lack the vertical visibility some of the other goggles have due to the Grillz's narrow lens. They are perfect or x-ball/speedball where you have on plane of vision to be concerned with but in woodsball with varying terrain height they aren't as optimal. And there is no substitute for a thermal lens in my opinion.

Best thing you could do is go to a proshop if you have one nearby and just try on goggles, you want one that you would feel comfortable in.

On the A5, the best upgrade for the Cyclone is the TechT parts. NewDesignz makes some new stuff but they don't have as comprehensive upgrade kit as TechT. First thing for the cyclone you will need with the egrip is a metal ratchet. Squishy pattles are nice if you are shooting fast all the time, helps prevent paint blending. The speed upgrades I would do last. I'm a firm believer in focusing on shooting the least paint to get an elimination than just to dump a ton of paint at someone and praying they are out.

Fiber wrapped 4.5K tanks are nice if you are running the tank on the gun, but if you upgrade to a stock then a remote line with a vest will negligate most of the weight advantage. Number of shots is a different story. I wouldn't bother trying to carry more than two pods with you for extra paint with a stock A5 (efficiency wise) while running a 3K tank.

But all that said, the A5 as is should be a great gun for you. I'd save your money for now (sans goggle purchase) and just go out and play a bit before dropping a ton on upgrades you likely won't notice improving your game just starting out.
As an extra note: a couple of weeks ago, the field I work for had a kid that brought some friends to play with out. This kid has a PMR with a Rotor and full clothing and gear while his friends all used our Tippmann rentals. This kid would literally just dump paint every game and wouldn't hit hardly anyone. Then when they ended the day playing 1 on 1's, he used a rental to make it fair against his friends. Still used to just shooting tons of paint, he went out and would empty his hopper every game and use it as an excuse why he lost every round. Please don't be that kid and think just because your equipment allows you to drop tons of paint per second that it makes you a better player. Its an expensive path to follow. /endrant.
serafin_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 AM #14
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Yea I've already considered the paint issue since we all throw in on paint and only get rr
About 4000 balls for a few hours although I really like the turbo rampin It gives me the single shot option to hit that o.e that counts while also gkving me a good cover fire for myself while transitio.ing to a new obstacle al when they stand up and I go nuts on my trigger they will get lite up like a pine tree in december. Thanks for ur input I think ill hold out one the cylone kit until I go play a few times with it but I plan on buying the whole set when I do upgrade the cyclone
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 AM #15
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Anyone got an inline regulator link for my a5?
I really like the empire helix fora mask proly gojn to have that shipped today I want to get a remote line and a vest with a 4+1 on the back I was look at a rap for vest on punisherspb.com should I uy the tippman remote line or will the geurilla one be fine?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 AM #16
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

The Guerrilla one should be just fine.
I have the Tippmann Patrol Vest with a PMI remote, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll send you a link or two for buying an inline reg!
Yes, you are correct that the extender-thing is the regulator. What the tank screws into is called the ASA, on the bottom of the gripframe. You shouldn't need to replace anything, but if you're getting a remote line, you should see if you could put the line directly into the bottom of the regulator rather than screwing it into the ASA. Just personal preference...I'll be sending you a PM with a few links for buying the reg!
Noah
Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM #17
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If you ever plan on getting into speedball at all, specifically tournament airball, I wouldn't sink too much money into that a5, BC if you start playing airball, you're going to want to get rid of that thing REAL QUICK. However, if you are just starting in woodsball, or that's all you ever plan on playing, the a5 will do just fine and you can upgrade it with anything YOU think you need.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM #18
Bruce_Leeroy

What the dude said above holds true, if you're a rec woodsball player an a5 with a few upgrades is all you'll ever need. I have a Empire Axe and I still use my old a5 with flatline in the woods sometimes
Bruce_Leeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM #19
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintman15 View Post
If you ever plan on getting into speedball at all, specifically tournament airball, I wouldn't sink too much money into that a5, BC if you start playing airball, you're going to want to get rid of that thing REAL QUICK. However, if you are just starting in woodsball, or that's all you ever plan on playing, the a5 will do just fine and you can upgrade it with anything YOU think you need.
I Have 2 words that render this statement moot:

Tippmann Effect

Depew Decepticonz/Lancaster ILLNatured - Coach
RIP USPA, AXBL, NYXL, NYPS
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM #20
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_ILLNatured View Post
I Have 2 words that render this statement moot:

Tippmann Effect
Well played, well played...
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM #21
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member