Community Focus

Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM #1
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
31 Americans, 7 Afghans killed

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-06-06-27-19

Quote:
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- A military helicopter was shot down in eastern Afghanistan, killing 31 U.S. special operation troops, most of them from the elite Navy SEALs unit that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, along with seven Afghan commandos. It was the deadliest single incident for American forces in the decade-long war.

The Taliban claimed they downed the helicopter with rocket fire while it was taking part in a raid on a house where insurgents were gathered in the province of Wardak late Friday. It said wreckage of the craft was strewn at the scene. A senior U.S. administration official in Washington said the craft was apparently shot down by insurgents. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the crash is still being investigated.

NATO confirmed the overnight crash took place and that there "was enemy activity in the area." But it said it was still investigating the cause and conducting a recovery operation at the site. It did not release details or casualty figures.

"We are in the process of accessing the facts," said U.S. Air Force Capt. Justin Brockhoff, a NATO spokesman.

One current and one former U.S. official said that the dead included more than 20 Navy SEALs from SEAL Team Six, the unit that carried out the raid in Pakistan in May that killed bin Laden. They were being flown by acrew of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because families are still being notified.

President Barack Obama mourned the deaths of the American troops, saying in a statement that the crash serves as a reminder of the "extraordinary sacrifices" being made by the U.S. military and its families. He said he also mourned "the Afghans who died alongside our troops."

The death toll would surpass the worst single day loss of life for the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan since the war began in 2001 - the June 28, 2005 downing of a military helicopter in eastern Kunar province. In that incident, 16 Navy SEALs and Army special operations troops were killed when their craft was shot down while on a mission to rescue four SEALs under attack by the Taliban. Three of the SEALs being rescued were also killed and the fourth wounded. It was the highest one-day death toll for the Navy Special Warfare personnel since World War II.

With its steep mountain ranges, providing shelter for militants armed with rocket-propelled grenade launchers, eastern Afghanistan is hazardous terrain for military aircraft. Large, slow-moving air transport carriers like the CH-47 Chinook are particularly vulnerable, often forced to ease their way through sheer valleys where insurgents can achieve more level lines of fire from mountainsides.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Saturday gave the first public word of the new crash, saying in a statement that "a NATO helicopter crashed last night in Wardak province" and that 31 American special operations troops were killed. He expressed his condolences to President Barack Obama.

The helicopter was a twin-rotor Chinook, said an official at NATO headquarters in Brussels. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he was receiving his information from an Afghan officer in Kabul.

The crash took place in the Sayd Abad district of Wardak province, said a provincial government spokesman, Shahidullah Shahid. The volatile region borders the province of Kabul where the Afghan capital is located and is known for its strong Taliban presence.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement that Taliban fighters downed the helicopter during a "heavy raid" in Sayd Abad. He said NATO attacked a house in Sayd Abad where insurgent fighters were gathering Friday night. During the battle, the fighters shot down the helicopter, killing 31 Americans and seven Afghans, he said, adding that eight insurgents were killed in the fight.

There have been at least 17 coalition and Afghan aircraft crashes in Afghanistan this year.

Most of the crashes were attributed to pilot errors, weather conditions or mechanical failures. However, the coalition has confirmed that at least one CH-47F Chinook helicopter was hit by a rocket propelled grenade on July 25. Two coalition crew members were injured in that attack.

Meanwhile, in the southern Helmand province, an Afghan government official said Saturday that NATO troops attacked a house and inadvertently killed eight members of a family, including women and children.

NATO said that Taliban fighters fired rocket propelled grenades and small arms fire at coalition troops during a patrol Friday in the Nad Ali district.

"Coalition forces responded with small arms fire and as the incident continued, an air strike was employed against the insurgent position," said Brockhoff. He added that NATO sent a delegation to meet with local leaders and investigate the incident.

Nad Ali district police chief Shadi Khan said civilians died in the bombardment but that it was unknown how many insurgents were killed.

Helmand, a Taliban stronghold, is the deadliest province in Afghanistan for international troops.

NATO has come under harsh criticism in the past for accidentally killing civilians during operations against suspected insurgents. However, civilian death tallies by the United Nations show the insurgency is responsible for most war casualties involving noncombatants.

In south Afghanistan, NATO said two coalition service member were killed, one on Friday and another on Saturday. The international alliance did not release further details.

With the casualties from the helicopter crash, the deaths bring to 365 the number of coalition troops killed this year in Afghanistan and 42 this month.

---

Associated Press writers Kimberly Dozier, Lolita C. Baldor and Mark S. Smith contribute to this report from Washington.

2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

WHAT THE ****
Death_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 AM #2
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
yeah... lets try this again....
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 AM #3
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

ty for cleaning that up
Death_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 AM #4
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
I thought it best to just pull your post out and start fresh.

Im not pro or anti war and i think we have plenty of misguided intentions as always. I really cant justify some of the things that were said against US soldiers in that mess of flaming and trolling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone has the right to free speech but lets atleast talk rationally and intelligently about the subject. If you dont like the war, you have a couple of options:

-Vote often
-Write your congress person
-Leave

Dont wish the death of soldiers because they signed up to do a job that congress and the president tells them to do. Be mad at congress and the president that sends them there.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 AM #5
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
I can accept that.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 AM #6
Hufen

RIP fallen warriors.

and

Send hundreds of skinnies to their virgins in their name.
:::/
::/
Hufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM #7
saunders182

saunders182 supports Team VICIOUS
RIP to the SEAL's, my thoughts and prayers go out to their families and their loved ones. Unfortunately even the enemy gets lucky once in awhile. They will pay though.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM #8
AceOfHearts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44088691..._central_asia/
AceOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM #9
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

I saw that but I honestly doubt they got the people who did it. There is just really no way of knowing.

G.S.P
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM #10
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunders182 View Post
RIP to the SEAL's, my thoughts and prayers go out to their families and their loved ones. Unfortunately even the enemy gets lucky once in awhile. They will pay though.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/09/chi...ort/index.html

Quote:
A week ago, 10-year-old Braydon Nichols started to think about his dad and how much he missed him.

Army Chief Warrant Officer Bryan Nichols, a helicopter pilot, had been deployed for two months in Afghanistan.

The little boy, in the car with his mother running errands, brushed back his dirty-blond hair and ran his hand over his cheek.

Jessica Nichols looked over when she heard sniffles. Her son was crying.

"When is Dad coming back so we go camping?" he asked her.

Soon, she assured him. "Your dad is off fighting for this country."

The boy replied, "As soon as he gets home, we're going to go on a camping trip, just me and him."
Let us not forget that it was not only SEALs on that helicopter.
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:35 PM #11
AceOfHearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
I saw that but I honestly doubt they got the people who did it. There is just really no way of knowing.
My post below is OBVIOUSLY purely speculation

The AF has a field (Remote Sensor Op I think), that usually goes out on these missions in a small aircraft, cant remember what the craft is and views the field, relaying information. I would imagine they saw whom was firing at the chopper, tracked their movements and determined the general area of where they could be located, IE their "grid"...and bombed the **** out of any insurgents they saw in the area.

Even if those ****ers specifically are not dead, I would imagine that anything in that area is on lock down and will be aggressively hunted by fellow SOF soldiers, while I believe they are dead, there is a chance they are not, but every day they better be on the run if they somehow survived.

Still, RIP Warriors.
AceOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM #12
Carson19
FreeAgent

I want to help those guys meet their virgins!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM #13
NorKaLKiLLa
Seen a lot of combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfHearts View Post
blah blah blah
civilians.. just facepalm
Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 PM #14
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorKaLKiLLa View Post
civilians.. just facepalm
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 PM #15
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3658570

G.S.P
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 PM #16
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
It is Alex Jones, man. He does some neat stuff every now and then.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM #17
evotyson775

evotyson775 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
evotyson775 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
evotyson775 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfHearts View Post
My post below is OBVIOUSLY purely speculation

The AF has a field (Remote Sensor Op I think), that usually goes out on these missions in a small aircraft, cant remember what the craft is and views the field, relaying information. I would imagine they saw whom was firing at the chopper, tracked their movements and determined the general area of where they could be located, IE their "grid"...and bombed the **** out of any insurgents they saw in the area.

Even if those ****ers specifically are not dead, I would imagine that anything in that area is on lock down and will be aggressively hunted by fellow SOF soldiers, while I believe they are dead, there is a chance they are not, but every day they better be on the run if they somehow survived.

Still, RIP Warriors.
^ i agree and i beleave that they got what came to them, which was a 105mm
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM #18
Dynamopbers

Oh how atrocious it is the things said here. It is sad that 38 people died, regardless of anything.
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM #19
mikej0341

Seals bit the bullet on this one, RIP
mikej0341 is offline   Reply With Quote