PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 PM #1
Paintballin_Dan
New Earth Army

has been a member for 10 years
Cav Troop

Okay, i recently got sent to a cav squadron and we are going to deploy soon. I have no idea what the **** im doing in a cav troop, being as i just came from a light infantry unit, and my section leader is not very helpful. all i know is that i was assigned to be a gunner. it would be appreciated if any 19D could explain the ins and outs of cav operations, like what a gunners responsibities are, and how things work when dismounted. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

11B1P
"Another ****ty day in the Double 'A"

"Originally posted by Dr Chewy: 92% of ST can't even spell simple words correctly. The chance of them grasping quantum mechanics is impossible."
Paintballin_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 PM #2
CptMotivator
14/f/cali

Dont worry, you're just going to work on vehicles and do **** details.
CptMotivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM #3
solrflare

Annual Supporting Member
solrflare is a Supporting Member
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
Are you at Lewis?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM #4
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMotivator View Post
Dont worry, you're just going to work on vehicles and do **** details.
Our 19d's didn't even sign for vehicles. They did 5-15k dismounted patrols daily when I was downrange.
Animal_Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM #5
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
This is the newest new Army. Most people don't even patrol anymore.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM #6
kida2
To The Strongest

kida2 is a Supporting Member
WTF? Why the **** do they send 11Bs to Troops and stick me in an HHC?

Anyway. Are you on a Bradly? If so you are going to need to learn the track (something I know nothing about so I can't really help you).

If you are on a truck you will need to learn how to operate and maintain your weapon (should be obvious but you asked), I'll assume it's going to be a 240 or .50. From my experience with 11serise guys I'll assume you don't really know the .50 or MK19 but neither are difficult to master. If you have a MK19 be nice to it and make sure that everything is nice and smooth and well maintained at all times (no burs or **** to catch on the ammo during the feeding cycle) as a jam on that weapon is a pain in the ****ing ***. But yea, 240, .50, MK19... shouldn't be an issue.

If you are on a Stryker you may have to learn the CROW system (should be sent to an official class on it)... or if you are on one of those crazy variants then whatever it is you have on top of your truck (I call them trucks because they have wheels).

Your driver will take care of most of the vehicle maintenance but there isn't any reason you can't help out.

You need to know your radios, how to fill them, work them, trouble shoot them. You need to know what antenna goes to what radio, where the antenna wires are routed, if you have one or two power amps and what radio is powered (if you only have one) so you know what radio to use for PLT and what to use for Troop comms.

Being a gunner can be bad ***... I had a lot of fun as a gunner. Just make sure you know your radios and your weapon system. If you have a good driver and TC then you don't have much to worry about it. Think of it as "your turret" and set it up so it so it works for you. Scrounge some ammo cans for extra mags/ smoke/ grenades/ clp/ VS-17 panel and bungee cord them up there with you. Make sure you have a 9-line taped up there. If the TC goes down it's on you to fight the truck.

As far as "cav operations" in my experience we are either used as PSD or just like wheeled infantry. The "big war" stuff we are supposed to do doesn't really come into play.... much to my

I hope that helped... if you have more/ more specific questions let me know. I'm not the only 19D around but lets face it... I'm badass
I want to rage against the world. I want to beat it into submission. I want it to see the hate in my eyes, to feel the rage pouring out of me in blow after blow delivered in a fury that could only be fueled by insanity. I want to shake it so violently that it's afraid it may break and I want to scream with such primal ferocity that it reaches back into the darkest parts of an age when men cowered in caves at the sound of demons. Then, after the wave has subsided and I let go I want to watch it slump into a broken mass, whimpering. When the word "why?" crosses it's bloody swollen lips the only reply that will come is "yes... why?".
kida2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM #7
CptMotivator
14/f/cali

Walk by and see that one of my guys didnt have a 9 line taped up, makes for a very unhappy me.
CptMotivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM #8
KingTomis

KingTomis supports our troops
Given where your at I'm assuming you are referring to the 9 different places your can order dinner from.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 PM #9
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMotivator View Post
Walk by and see that one of my guys didnt have a 9 line taped up, makes for a very unhappy me.
I not need no 9 line.

Low
Flying
pilots
eat
tacos

salsa
makes
nachos
nasty

G.S.P
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM #10
CptMotivator
14/f/cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTomis View Post
Given where your at I'm assuming you are referring to the 9 different places your can order dinner from.
touche.

I meant when I was actually doing something productive.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM #11
Jennifer Lopez

Half of my troop is 11b, our new csm is 11b, we do alot of 11b stuff. your welcome
Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 AM #12
kida2
To The Strongest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
I not need no 9 line.
Better to have a copy that you can write on so you aren't trying to call it up and are all.... um.... and.... line 5: um...
I want to rage against the world. I want to beat it into submission. I want it to see the hate in my eyes, to feel the rage pouring out of me in blow after blow delivered in a fury that could only be fueled by insanity. I want to shake it so violently that it's afraid it may break and I want to scream with such primal ferocity that it reaches back into the darkest parts of an age when men cowered in caves at the sound of demons. Then, after the wave has subsided and I let go I want to watch it slump into a broken mass, whimpering. When the word "why?" crosses it's bloody swollen lips the only reply that will come is "yes... why?".
Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 AM #13
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Merely saying I don't need it because I know it. Of course I'd write it down but I can do that on a scratch piece of paper. The codes I don't know but I wouldn't call those in anyway even if I had them.

G.S.P
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM #14
kida2
To The Strongest

Brevity codes are retarded and only used when you are worried about your coms not being secure. You would be wasting your time using them because it's unlikely that the booger eater in the TOC will know what they are anyway.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:11 PM #15
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kida2 View Post
You would be wasting your time using them because it's unlikely that the booger eater in the TOC will know what they are anyway.
That's exactly why I wont.

G.S.P
Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 AM #16
ohherrohans
(b^.')

ohherrohans supports Cereal Killerz 2
i'm in a cav sqn right now, i'm even deployed right now (30 days left).

we have one troop completely filled with all of our 11B's. They basically take all of the mission the 19D's tend to cry about.

Our SCO (squadron commander) is an 11B (dude is the biggest tree hugger ever)
Our CSM is a 19D who's been hiding in TRADOC for the past 13 years
Our BDE CMDR is a 11B and absolutely loves our 1 troop of 11B's. they get tasked all the time for "special missions"

... you're gonna hate it.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM #17
Paintballin_Dan
New Earth Army

yeah i already do. if every cav squadron is like the one im in now, idk how you guys get **** done. ever.

11B1P
"Another ****ty day in the Double 'A"

"Originally posted by Dr Chewy: 92% of ST can't even spell simple words correctly. The chance of them grasping quantum mechanics is impossible."
Paintballin_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote