Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 PM #1
Brandonv09

Question I studied up, but I need suggestions before purchasing (Bores & CP Barrels)

I'm finally getting back into paintball after many years, and the last thing I need is barrel(s) for my Axe. I have a scenario game I'm going to next weekend and want to know what bore size I should buy for the game. I might eventually get the Freak kit, but I don't have the money for that at the moment, so I was looking at purchasing one or two CP Barrels for the game so I can match the paint accordingly. I understand I may not to get it precise, but I am wondering what two CP barrels I should get to try to get as close as possible. I do not know the field paint that will be there that weekend, but the weather says clear skies and ~75 high. That and are CP Barrels a good buy?

tl;dr
- Are CP Barrels a good budget barrel until I fork in for the Freak Kit?
- Without knowing the paint I'll be using next week, what would be a good bore size to purchase for ~75 dry weather (Options: .685 .689 .693)?
- I might be able to fork in for two CP Barrels (If they're suggested). If so, what TWO bore sizes should I buy? (Options: .685 .689 .693) Or should I only get one?
- How precise do I need to be when pairing paint to barrel? Is it better to go slightly bigger or smaller on the barrel?

Bonus question:
- How fast does ActionVillage ship?

I'd greatly appreciate elaborated answers

Thanks y'all
Brandonv09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 AM #2
Cracker with a gun
- Logan -

Annual Supporting Member
Cracker with a gun supports Cereal Killerz 2
Cracker with a gun plays in the APPA beginner division
Cracker with a gun is Legendary
Cracker with a gun supports DLX Technology
cp barrels are great for price, and imo under rated lately.

I'd recommend a smaller bore, paint has gotten a little smaller over the last couple years. Also it's been proven a slight underbore (.003ish) will prove the best barrel (not insane underbore like a .010ish, as it will put spin on the ball and could affect accuracy). So i'd reccomend a .685 and either 1 larger bore or 1 smaller bore, your choice. I'd go into a local pro shop and see what size the paint is in your area.

Have you thought about, if you can afford it, a Deadly winds fibur barrel. It's not as expensive as a freak, but you still get the benefits of the freak insert, and its carbon fiber so its much lighter.

Another option is to find a barrel you like and you can have it bored for freak inserts by a guy named Super Stanchy... from Super_Stanchy Customs
Cracker with a gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 PM #3
Brandonv09

Thanks for the reply!

Then should I get the CP .685 and the .689? Or since my stock 12in Empire Exe barrel is .689, should I then get the CP .693. Or should I avoid using the stock barrel?

And thanks for showing me that Dealy Winds barrel. I didn't know about that so I'll have to remember that one once I fork in the money to buy a freak barrel
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM #4
Cracker with a gun
- Logan -

Annual Supporting Member
Cracker with a gun supports Cereal Killerz 2
Cracker with a gun plays in the APPA beginner division
Cracker with a gun is Legendary
Cracker with a gun supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonv09 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Then should I get the CP .685 and the .689? Or since my stock 12in Empire Exe barrel is .689, should I then get the CP .693. Or should I avoid using the stock barrel?

And thanks for showing me that Dealy Winds barrel. I didn't know about that so I'll have to remember that one once I fork in the money to buy a freak barrel
well if you still have the stock barrel, which is .689, then go for a .685 and a .683...
Cracker with a gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM #5
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Get both Lurker barrels for your Axe. Almost as cheap as the CP ones, and way more worth your money.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM #6
Brandonv09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker with a gun View Post
well if you still have the stock barrel, which is .689, then go for a .685 and a .683...
If I go with the CP One Piece Barrels, I only have .685 .689 & .693 to choose from.
Edit: Assuming I purchase through ActionVillage those are the only bore options. I just realized I could purchase straight from CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Get both Lurker barrels for your Axe. Almost as cheap as the CP ones, and way more worth your money.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'd love to check them out, but looks like the Lurker website is down currently.

Last edited by Brandonv09 : 09-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 PM #7
Brandonv09

Yea I give up. I'm just going to buy a Freak JR Barrel and some inserts. Better safe than sorry. Plus I know they can be trusted and the barrel looks nice IMO

Thanks for the help though
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM #8
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Thanks for the heads up on the site - You can order direct through me if you like.