PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM #1
peeingfish

has been a member for 10 years
AMG ACS bolt?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows if the ACS bolts will fit an amg such as this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-Semi-Auto...ht_2706wt_1185

And if not do they still make aftermarket bolts for the amg? I'm looking to upgrade mine as a project. Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM #2
StarfuryTH

...why? ACS bolts are a downgrade, IMO. If you're chopping balls, you need a faster loader, not a new bolt.
StarfuryTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 PM #3
reepneep
Be the ball. Nununun...

You could check out Alamo City Paintball. They make multiple styles of delrin bolts for just about any spyder you could name. Though, as Starfury said, the bolt doesn't have much to do with whether a gun chops or not.

Those ACS bolts also make the marker de-cock when they prevent a chop. Thats no bueno either.
reepneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM #4
MagFan
Schoolin' Fools Since '98

I've been using the same ACS bolt for years and it's always recocked. It takes FOREVER to break the spring in, though. Your spring could have been too stiff and wasn't allowing the action to move as smoothly as necessary.

As far as AMG ACS bolts go, I'm pretty confident the top or side cocking bolts work. They've always worked well in my older Spyders, but I know the AMG has a few quirks about it.
Joshua 24:15
"But if you don't want to serve the Lord, you must choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord."

~PROUD member of the NRA~
MagFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM #5
xXBloodLustACXx
The EM1 Collector

xXBloodLustACXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagFan View Post
I've been using the same ACS bolt for years and it's always recocked. It takes FOREVER to break the spring in, though. Your spring could have been too stiff and wasn't allowing the action to move as smoothly as necessary.

As far as AMG ACS bolts go, I'm pretty confident the top or side cocking bolts work. They've always worked well in my older Spyders, but I know the AMG has a few quirks about it.
Yeah, the bolt is supposed to re-cock once the spring is worn-in enough, but it takes forever as you said. Some people used to sit and manually wear in the spring when they were bored, others would leave it compressed between two hard surfaces, etc... mine was never worn in so I can't say whether it actually works, but I always had the uncocking issue.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM #6
MagFan

That's what I did. When sitting at home I'd either compress the bolt with my hands when watching TV, I'd shove a wooden spoon in the breech when I slept and kept the gun decocked, and at work I'd leave it compressed in a vice. Still took a few months to wear it in. But it's worked beautifully since. That's why I still use it.
"But if you don't want to serve the Lord, you must choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord."

Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM #7
peeingfish

has been a member for 10 years
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not having a problem with the balls chopping it is just a matter of what upgrades can I throw onto this gun? As I said before it is a project gun and I am just looking to build it up with aftermarket parts for fun, including giving it an aftermarket bolt. I saw the ACS bolt for pretty cheap on Ebay and I thought it would be a decent aftermarket bolt but since my issue isn't balls chopping what aftermarket bolt would you guys recommend? I checked out alamocity as suggested and they look to be quality bolts.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:45 PM #8
MagFan

Bolts are bolts, really. Just go delrin and don't get a venturi. They just reduce airflow.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM #9
xXBloodLustACXx
The EM1 Collector

xXBloodLustACXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah, you don't need to upgrade the bolt, but a delrin bolt from somewhere like Alamo City isn't a bad idea. Or you can modify your stock bolt, there are tutorials out there.

Best upgrade for a Spyder? A lighter trigger switch. I know SundragonPPS used to sell them; stock switches have 250g or resistance whereas you can get a new switch for less than $10 that has 50 or even 25 grams of resistance. I've heard 25g switches are prone to mechanical bounce, though, so I'd go with 50g. And a new trigger might be nice, too. You can also pick up an old T-board for cheap if you're lucky enough to find one used... even if you get one that is semi-only it will probably help because the board has a faster processor which allows it to check the switch more often and skip fewer pulls. But that's not really necessary unless you care about speed.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 PM #10
MagFan

^^ Speaks truth. I was able to find a 70g switch locally for around $3 and I soldered it in myself. It was nice and snappy, and light enough for me. I also had a t-board in a Spyder at one point. VERY nice. I actually just sold it not too long ago. One may be hard to find, but it will be cheap. I let mine go, frame and all, for $25 shipped.

A weird upgrade that I've always had luck with was a longer volumizer. They originally slapped 'em on to reduce turbulance and thus solve all kinds of velocity issues and increase efficiancy. I used a long (32*, I think, maybe KAPP) one for a while and it got me an extra pod off of CO2. Might be worth a look if you can find a good looking one for cheap. I'd spend no more than $10 shipped on one, and I'd still have to sleep on it. Lol.

Let's see, what are some other decent upgrades? The Bandit valve (or any other high flow valve, for that matter) is a great call. Polish and cup the striker. That will add some FPS. I've always wanted to try one of Alamo City's delrin (or nitril?) strikers.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 AM #11
Cakeslob

Could probably find a nice Shocktech supafly bolt for sale on the cheap. By cheap I mean closeout cheap. They made them for about every spyder
Cakeslob is offline   Reply With Quote