Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM #85
Warwitch
Corvus corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by D:< @ DYNASTY View Post
no but i will take that comment into consideration
I may be missing the point on that shot Greg. To be honest, if someone else posted that same image they would probably be heckled.

Reality is for people with no imagination
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM #86
skiier08
IH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedSaint View Post
before someone comes in here and tells you to post these in the WDYS thread (which everyone should do) Ill tell you youre on the right track. All look like proper exposures and focus aswell as decent developing except you seem to have a problem with keeping your film clean. Minimize dust and use hypoclear/hand squeegee if youre having problems with water droplets showing up before drying. Do that and keep experimentig

oh and dont use that scanner software, check out vuescan so you can get the proper colour/blacks/whites out of your prints. Unless you have a nicer photo specific scanner, then use the included software.

EDIT: 2 reminded me of something out of 8 1/2
It seems like water spots were inevitable in my first few rolls. I was really careful with the roll I'm currently in the process of printing so hopefully I don't have too many this time around. Few questions: What does WDYS stand for and what do you mean by the second picture reminding you of 8 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post

I like 2 especially. These are a bit better than the "I just got a ____ and here's some photos" thread. I'd suggest posting in the WDYS thread but this one isn't an utter failure. Got anymore scans at least?

I only scanned a few, but I do have a few more I didn't post. I think the prints i'll be making tomorrow night are going to be a lot better than these so I'll post those up once I get back from class tomorrow night.

Old Feedback
New Feedback
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM #87
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

StosPhotography is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
you can post some more...of the girls :semidodgy:
pretty please? where are the pics of them splashing around?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM #88
jedi1354

jedi1354 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
maybe post in What did you shoot and not your own thread.
read the rules. also none of your shots are good. they are all snapshots
Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM #89
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Where are the sodafans????

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM #90
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiier08 View Post
It seems like water spots were inevitable in my first few rolls. I was really careful with the roll I'm currently in the process of printing so hopefully I don't have too many this time around. Few questions: What does WDYS stand for and what do you mean by the second picture reminding you of 8 1/2?
WDYS stands for what did you shoot (today) its a thread that you're supposed to put pictures of this nature in. 1. youll have more eyes looking at your work and 2. youll have better (and harsher) criticism in there. My reference to 8 1/2 is a film by Federico Fellini (8 1/2).
Chubs is right, though; they are just snapshots, but then again so are 60% of artsy photos. Composition and finding a meaning/correlation of the items in your frame is what'll make a snapshot into a halfway decent photo. Like I said in my first post, keep exploring and experimenting
blog.

Last edited by PaintedSaint : 08-09-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM #91
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwitch View Post
I may be missing the point on that shot Greg. To be honest, if someone else posted that same image they would probably be heckled.
I viewed it as a public offering of his process. It looks like a fp-100 negative peel. The setting looks like hot lights were used - hence the soft subject [iso100 film needs a lot of light - more than what hots can usually put out].

Whether that's all true or not, the process he's used has created an interesting image. While I don't think it's as aesthetically pleasing as other work of his I've seen... I can see how the same process could be used in a different circumstance and yield overwhelmingly positive results. It's now a matter of finding what subject it would work best for.

I was silent on my critique because I had no suggestion as to what it could be used for - that's something that he'll figure out as time goes on. And now that he knows this aesthetic exists and how to manufacture it, it is totally in his court. I can't critique process; that's something only the creator can determine for themselves. And to me, this picture is a public display of process rather than something to be considered as an artwork for intense, deliberative critique.

The photo I'm posting below is also a part of process - me learning how to use available materials and subjects to create interesting portraits in a limited amount of time. There are some problems with it: I don't particularly like the composition (the hose should have come out of the right 2/3rds bottom of the frame, not the middle) and I wish I would've peeled it sooner to reduce the contrast. However, I'm happy with it because it serves as a reminder for me to look at things like that more closely.

Perhaps discussion of the photo above is similar in that it serves as a reminder for Greg in some way.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.

Last edited by therealmr : 08-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 PM #92
potato

potato is a Supporting Member
potato donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2188 View Post
personally i like them alot, and I think that having the background gives you context and tells you more about what is going on in the background. But again, that is just my personal opinion.
Ya thanks man that was the approach I wanted. It was a rail jam event inside of a hockey rink not a studio shoot. But the colors aren't consistent along with exposure and I think that's what bugs me most. Probably should have also had the crowd in a shot or two.

Some newly processed but over sharpened from flickr-

nuclear eyes

Last edited by potato : 08-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM #93
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Skiier08, moved your thread to the WDYS. Like Painted said, you'll get harsher criticism in here, but I can't think of anyone that posts in this thread that hasn't gotten better when they listened to what everyone was saying about their photos. Listen, learn, improve
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM #94
Warwitch
Corvus corax

Erik: that makes sense. It just didnt come with any dialogue. And the combination of processing/subject left me kind of perplexed.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM #95
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
It did for me, too. But then with your and the others' responses, I thought it would be a good idea to explain what I thought about it... because not everything I like is based in solely aesthetics. And describing why this happens is difficult to understand and articulate. It was good practice for me.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM #96
JamesCoon
JCoonPhoto

Well guys, here goes nothing...

Shot my first paintball event this last weekend, even if it was only a few of the teams. NAPL E2 in Central New York at Action Sports Park. Enjoy, hopefully. Also, CC please and thank you!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcoonph...7627396136024/

(First post in years, hopefully I didn't mess up the links and embeds)

Last edited by JamesCoon : 08-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM #97
D:< @ DYNASTY
so pitted.

D:< @ DYNASTY posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwitch View Post
well.... i'll just retype this because I submitted it last time right as pbn went down :/

I wasn't blowing off your response.

1. It was indeed a test shoot. I am working on some paper negative portraits (close to iso ~3) with hot lights. It is soft. That is because a high person is sitting there for 30 seconds trying not to move. It is "overexposed". I tested multiple exposures (2min, 1min, 30 sec, 15 sec) without a meter. But I like it that way.

2. I posted it because I was very excited about the results. I am very happy that you said what you said though. I wasn't really paying attention to her as much as the process but in the end I guess the process doesn't mean squat if I am making very attractive girls look like, well, like, not girls. I am glad you said that because I did in fact give the picture a second look but ya, it's not the best.

01' Billy Wing Ironmen + 02' Mark Knop Avalanche jerseys.
2004 Prototype JT Team pants.
Rare flex parts - Celtic, Black Techno + more.
Shocker, Intimidator, 98 Custom.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM #98
skiier08
IH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1354 View Post
maybe post in What did you shoot and not your own thread.
read the rules. also none of your shots are good. they are all snapshots
I'm taking Photo100, i've shot 3 rolls of film and i just learned what an f-stop is 3 1/2 weeks ago. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the right light exposure settings and making sure everything is in focus. I'm sure my compositions will improve over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedSaint View Post
WDYS stands for what did you shoot (today) its a thread that you're supposed to put pictures of this nature in. 1. youll have more eyes looking at your work and 2. youll have better (and harsher) criticism in there. My reference to 8 1/2 is a film by Federico Fellini (8 1/2).
Chubs is right, though; they are just snapshots, but then again so are 60% of artsy photos. Composition and finding a meaning/correlation of the items in your frame is what'll make a snapshot into a halfway decent photo. Like I said in my first post, keep exploring and experimenting
My fault man, I didn't really realize there was a thread for this, but it seems kind of obvious now. I'm trying to get into the "artsy" mindset when taking these photos, but i'm not really used to looking at normal objects that way. I thought the shadow cast over the pool of water and floating flower was being artsy . Guess not.

Edit: The assignment that week was to take pictures with shadow and different lighting.

Old Feedback
New Feedback

Last edited by skiier08 : 08-09-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 PM #99
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
just keep at it man. Seems like you got the basics down. Just keep at it and keep posting! You'll get better if you want to. I came in here a couple years ago and posted crappy photos.

Now I'm the best photographer in here
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 PM #100
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
just keep at it man. Seems like you got the basics down. Just keep at it and keep posting! You'll get better if you want to. I came in here a couple years ago and posted crappy photos.

Now I'm the best photographer in here
Dis bish aint got **** on me, yo!
blog.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 AM #101
Rea[P]er
A Devil In God's Country

Sighh rainy night, desperately wanted to get out and shoot something -- anything other than the usual sodafans O.o

Got kicked out of a garage, but managed to fire off a single test shot playing with my shiny new 580 ex II..

I feel like I could've gotten a better image with a few adjustments but rent - a - cop was getting antsy.. oh well.

...and here (kinda a work in progress): Squarespace
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 AM #102
Warwitch
Corvus corax

Quote:
well.... i'll just retype this because I submitted it last time right as pbn went down :/

I wasn't blowing off your response.
No worries. I assumed you were waiting for a few responses to get a feel for reaction. Ill be curious to see what your expirements lead too.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM #103
paintblob
Didnt quit...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM #104
Warwitch
Corvus corax

NIK_6462 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM #105
JamesCoon
JCoonPhoto