PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 AM #1
Yervand

Pants vs Knee Pads?

Hello...

I have a question about the paintball pants. I am going to be buying ether V-Tac Zulu ACU or V-Tac Zulu V-CAM pants for woodsball scenario games. I am a new player and I've never been wearing paintballs pants or the knee pads. Now my questions are:

1. I never like knee pads. Not when I was skateboarding at least. Yet with paintball (unlike skateboarding) you do have a need for getting on your knees on purpose, so you do that often and often times it hurts. Now what I am of doing the following... I am not going to get knee pads, but I'll buy paintball pants (Valken ACU or V-Cam). My question is - will that give me enough support and comfort level to kneel down to the ground/concrete while playing. I am not planning on sliding or anything of that sort. Just standing on my knees, shooting, and feeling comfortable.

2. Which ones are better? ACU or V-CAM? What would you suggest?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Yervand : 08-01-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Yervand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 AM #2
Mephysteaux
Pronounced Meh-Fist-Oh

Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I own a pair of Valken Redemption pants, which I think have similar knee padding to the V-Tac pants. I've knelt on rocks and logs, didn't have a problem with the fronts of my knees, but the sides of my knees were sore after a day of low crawling on the rocks. I'd say if you want those pants, grab them, and if you find the padding inadequate you can always add knee pads later.

Also, skateboard knee pads are a bit different from good paintball knee pads. IIRC skateboard pads usually have straps and hard shells, paintball pads are more like sleeves with dense foam pads. If you get the opportunity, you could try a pair on, run around with them, see how you like them.

Hellkatz present: Blues Brothers - May 11, 2013 - LVP South, Hatfield PA

Join Fitocracy, the free online social fitness game.
Mephysteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 AM #3
Yervand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephysteaux View Post
Also, skateboard knee pads are a bit different from good paintball knee pads. IIRC skateboard pads usually have straps and hard shells, paintball pads are more like sleeves with dense foam pads. If you get the opportunity, you could try a pair on, run around with them, see how you like them.
Thanks for your reply. The idea was that I don't like something wrapped around my knees. It just annoys me - doesn't matter hard-shell or dense foam. Thanks a lot for your reply! Going to a local store to try the pants on. Although I'll have to be driving back and forth, I am kind of hesitating to buy pants only for sizing reasons. Just got to try those on first before deciding.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 AM #4
JD9940
Forever an AA's Fan

JD9940 supports Cereal Killerz 2
JD9940 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JD9940 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
JD9940 plays in the APPA D4 division
JD9940 supports DLX Technology
I really recommend paintball specific knee pads if you go with regular ACU's.
The ACU's will hold up well, but it's worth getting used to paintball knee pads for the rocks. I would avoid the skateboard knee pads as well.

Action Star Games
JD9940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 AM #5
Yervand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD9940 View Post
I really recommend paintball specific knee pads if you go with regular ACU's.
The ACU's will hold up well, but it's worth getting used to paintball knee pads for the rocks. I would avoid the skateboard knee pads as well.
By regular ACU do you mean the sierra line?

I have another question. For this specific pants. Does the V-CAM/ACU pants in zulu line have better protection of knees over sierra line?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM #6
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I've played tournament paintball for the better part of a decade and I never used knee pads. As long as you use proper sliding technique (don't do double knee slides) and pay attention to where you go, it shouldn't be a big problem. Many players that don't like the feel of paintball specific knee pads have enjoyed reasonable success with volleyball pads, which are lighter and generally less obstructive than paintball pads. Unless you're diving all over the place, the paintball pads may not be necessary. I've also heard of people stitching extra padding onto the inside of their pants so that they get the extra protection without the fabric constantly squeezing your knees.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM #7
crippy02
Dat Coonass

crippy02 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
crippy02 is for the Gunfight
crippy02 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i have some V-Tac sierra pants. the padding on the knees is VERY thick and I have a bad knee, so I can say, I have not needed knee pads with these pants. You should be fine with just the valken pants and no extra knee pads.

You air up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball

CK MAFIA
crippy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM #8
nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
hi

nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz supports Team VICIOUS
nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz supports Pev's Paintball
I've heard some people use volleyball kneepads, but honestly, I would avoid skateboard kneepads.
nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 AM #9
Yervand

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz View Post
I've heard some people use volleyball kneepads, but honestly, I would avoid skateboard kneepads.
I have no idea why you guys are saying it, but I've never even intend to use them. I don't even have them. If I decide to use knee-pads it would be paintball knee-pads, but my goal is to keep them away from me =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippy02 View Post
i have some V-Tac sierra pants. the padding on the knees is VERY thick and I have a bad knee, so I can say, I have not needed knee pads with these pants. You should be fine with just the valken pants and no extra knee pads.
Would you say that zulu has more padding then sierra? I really like the zulu ones, but the price difference is tremendous. If it has better knee-padding then sierra line, then I will consider spending extra. Problem is I have to decide quickly as it is time to order so that it gets delivered before private-party that we arranged next week.

Last edited by Yervand : 08-02-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 AM #10
p8ntcheck101
NW Baller

p8ntcheck101 supports Cereal Killerz 2
I'm the same as eforce in the sense that I have never worn kneepads in 7 years of the sport. However I have played on grass or turf 95% of the time. The ground you play on will determine whether or not you need them but it's a good idea to invest in kneepads so when the time comes that you may need them, at least they are at your disposal.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM #11
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yervand View Post
I have no idea why you guys are saying it, but I've never even intend to use them. I don't even have them. If I decide to use knee-pads it would be paintball knee-pads, but my goal is to keep them away from me =)
What we're saying is that if you don't like the feel of traditional knee pads, you can try volleyball knee pads which are designed to be very light and unrestrictive, plus they're much cheaper than paintball pads. You may like them a lot better and when paired with paintball pants they will provide adequate protection.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM #12
Yervand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
What we're saying is that if you don't like the feel of traditional knee pads, you can try volleyball knee pads which are designed to be very light and unrestrictive, plus they're much cheaper than paintball pads. You may like them a lot better and when paired with paintball pants they will provide adequate protection.
It is not about that. I am trying to avoid them, by using pants with builtin knee-protection. If Valken zulu pants are adequate I will go with them, if not then maybe
http://www.criticalpaintball.com/BT-...opants2011.htm
Old 08-02-2011, 02:41 PM #13
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

I think it would be a good idea for you to visit your local store/field and see the various designs yourself. What one person here perceives as the superior design may seem like a bad one to you. That's why equipment purchases are a matter of personal preference. Although we can give you general facts, nothing replaces the experience of trying something yourself. What I can tell you is that if you stick to any of the mainstream brands, you'll generally get a good product. That includes Dye/Proto, Eclipse, Empire/Invert, and similar brands. I haven't seen Valken pants lately but when I went to their product line preview I noticed that the padding isn't good until you get up to their middle/upper product lines.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM #14
Yervand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
I think it would be a good idea for you to visit your local store/field and see the various designs yourself. What one person here perceives as the superior design may seem like a bad one to you. That's why equipment purchases are a matter of personal preference. Although we can give you general facts, nothing replaces the experience of trying something yourself. What I can tell you is that if you stick to any of the mainstream brands, you'll generally get a good product. That includes Dye/Proto, Eclipse, Empire/Invert, and similar brands. I haven't seen Valken pants lately but when I went to their product line preview I noticed that the padding isn't good until you get up to their middle/upper product lines.
That's actually what I am trying to do right now. There aren't much stores in Los Angeles. There are some, but they don't really carry much stuff. A lot of markers, but very few pants. I found one that sells Valken Sierra pants, and to be honest I wasn't not very happy about the material quality that they use. It doesn't look as good as it seems on the website... I hope Zulu looks better.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 PM #15
jimbo69ny

[quote=Yervand;72438389 Would you say that zulu has more padding then sierra? I really like the zulu ones, but the price difference is tremendous. If it has better knee-padding then sierra line, then I will consider spending extra. Problem is I have to decide quickly as it is time to order so that it gets delivered before private-party that we arranged next week.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever find out if the Zulu pants have more knee padding than the Sierra?

I have the Sierra pants and I like them a lot but like you, I want more knee padding. I always kneel on my left knee when I am shooting. At the end of a long day of play my knee is pretty sore.

I too loathe knee pads and refuse to wear them.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM #16
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Def. get Knee pads, the padding in pants wont even compare
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 PM #17
Yervand

I got these Empire kneepads:
http://www.ansgear.com/Empire_2009_0...rokneepads.htm

I love them, but I hate them.

They are very soft and falling on them doesn't not hurt at all. They are great protection, but they ruin my paintball experience. They keep falling down. I am wearing them on top of pants (not paintball pants), obviously this might be the reason.

I found these pants:
1. http://www.ansgear.com/BT_Profession...btpropants.htm
2. http://www.ansgear.com/BT_2011_Profe...pantsterra.htm

I am thinking of getting them. Not only they are paintball pants, but they have decent knee pads. They might not be as soft because there is not going to be as much padding, but they are of a hard material, so they will be a good protection.

I will sell my current knee-pads. I don't think I want to wear both.

Gonna go to the store to try on both pants and see which one matches my vest well.

I might end up keeping both the kneepads and the pants, but I really hope that these pants will have enough kneepads to get read of my empire ones.

What do you guys think? Any comments before I go to the store to check em out and possible buy one of them?

"I am new to the sport and the forum. I've recently been posting topics with questions, asked for suggestions and opinions. People on this forum helped me a lot and keep helping me. This is very inspirational and gives a sense of friendliness and support in the sport. Thank you all very-very much."
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM #18
Oneofthemuppets
2k8 stuck in a 2k11

Oneofthemuppets owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oneofthemuppets owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
IF you dont have bad knees, and the place you play at isnt rocky, and is well maintained, then you dont need knee pads.
But...
I would rather buy 40 dollar knee pads and be able to use thrift store pants to play in instead of buying 150 dollar pants.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 AM #19
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
Def. get Knee pads, the padding in pants wont even compare
As I said before, there is no comparison. Your knee pads should be worn directly on your knee/skin, not over a pair of pants. If you are having issues with them falling off I would just get some compression wraps to keep them on.

The padding in the pants will be at best 1/4 (more like 1/10 or even less) of what you get on a knee pad, I like most players wear both knee pads and pants.... up to you... I strongly advise new players to wear knee pads as I feel they are a required piece of gear. Paintball pants are more of an optional piece of gear...

Think of it this way, I have 08 Dye knee pads and if I slipped and landed on my knee on concrete I would be fine.. If I was just wearing my PB pants (NXe or Invert) my knee would get damaged there really is not any protection in the pants.

Last edited by JC001 : 11-03-2011 at 08:43 AM.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote