PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 AM #1
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
New NME owner

Hey everyone.....if your still here, lol.

Ever since my teammate picked up an NME LE back in the day I've wanted one. Well, I finally broke down and bought a mint black/red NME LE off the nation.

It's all stock except a virtue board. Now, system x claimed 35 cps out of this thing. I've got an sl74 that will kick out a consistent 27 bps with a rotor. However, the NME on unlimited ramp doesn't sound like more than 20. It sounds a little faster than 15, but not raging fast like my SL. Anybody know why? any tips for more bps? I know I don't need it to be faster....but, I want it to be faster.

dwell at 10
lpr at 60ish

Thanks for any help.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 AM #2
Nemo128

Nemo128 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
First, LPR is too low. I'd bring it up to 75ish if it's totally stock.

Also, check the board settings. Whoever had it before you might have limited the cycle speed. Happened to me when I got my NME LE with a Predator board.

For Sale: CP Gen3, Eclipse OOPS
Nemo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM #3
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
CPS is different than BPS...

Max CPS when refering to a marker is how fast the marker can fully cycle the firing mechanisim. This is different than how fast the marker can actually fire (BPS). Most markers will have a much higher max CPS than max BPS. Once you add paint and turn on the eyes, things slow way down...

As Nemo suggested, check the board settings. The electronics are most likely the issue.

I have three NMEs and I run their LPRs anywhere from 65 - 75 depending on the marker. Every marker is different. Some run around 65, some need it higher.

Your LPR setting is most likely not the issue. If the LPR was low enough to make the marker noticably slow, you would most likely be suffering from FSDO.

If there aren't some settings capping the board, I would check with Virtue and see if they can upgrade the board to the latest software.

The biggest thing currently limiting performance on the NME is lack of a modern board.

By replacing the stock WAS board with a Virtue ETEK 2 board, or a good PMR board, my marker drastically changed. It's like a whole new marker. Neither of those is a drop in replacment though. Modification is needed.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 PM #4
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Virtue is set to uncapped, so I don't think it's the board. I'll kick the lpr up a little, but I doubt that's it.

Doesn't matter much either way, it's still shooting great. Super smooth and pretty quiet.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM #5
Nemo128

Nemo128 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
To be certain, reset the board to default. Also, are you shooting paint or dryfiring? The board may be set to Eyes Off Capped. My Predator also did that to me, Virtue has the same setting in it. Mine was Eyes Off capped at 12BPS when I got it.

For Sale: CP Gen3, Eclipse OOPS
Nemo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM #6
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theVicious1 View Post
Virtue is set to uncapped, so I don't think it's the board. I'll kick the lpr up a little, but I doubt that's it.

Doesn't matter much either way, it's still shooting great. Super smooth and pretty quiet.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Although the board is uncapped, it most likely IS the board. You're comparing a 2k4 (if it's not an LE) or early 2k5 marker to a 2k7 marker.

Even though the stock board has been replaced, the NME Virtue board has been out of production for quite a few years.

If the Virtue is still running the original code, it could be slower than if it had the latest code. Even after being upgraded, it may still be slow. It's an old board. There are nothing but old boards available for the NME. All NME boards have been out of production for many years.

As I mentioned before, I've moded two of my NMEs to accept a modern board. One has a Virtue Etek 2 OLED baord. It's leaps and bounds faster with that board than either of my other NMEs. One of the others has had a PMR board and an Etek 2 stock board. With either of those boards it is much faster than the stock board (not as fast as the Virtue OLED though).
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM #7
THE MEANSTREAK
TEAM MEANSTREAK

THE MEANSTREAK owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE MEANSTREAK owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE MEANSTREAK supports Team VICIOUS
THE MEANSTREAK has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs0349 View Post
Although the board is uncapped, it most likely IS the board. You're comparing a 2k4 (if it's not an LE) or early 2k5 marker to a 2k7 marker.

Even though the stock board has been replaced, the NME Virtue board has been out of production for quite a few years.

If the Virtue is still running the original code, it could be slower than if it had the latest code. Even after being upgraded, it may still be slow. It's an old board. There are nothing but old boards available for the NME. All NME boards have been out of production for many years.

As I mentioned before, I've moded two of my NMEs to accept a modern board. One has a Virtue Etek 2 OLED baord. It's leaps and bounds faster with that board than either of my other NMEs. One of the others has had a PMR board and an Etek 2 stock board. With either of those boards it is much faster than the stock board (not as fast as the Virtue OLED though).
Hey tjs do you have a thread on how you did the mod for the Etek OLED board. Was it very hard. That is something I would love to do to my NME.
THE MEANSTREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM #8
rzhukov

rzhukov is playing at Living Legends III
rzhukov owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
rzhukov supports Bob Gurnsey
rzhukov has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I know, you never posted write up or even pictures of your oled NME, it would be very interestign to see
rzhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM #9
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
I'll see if I can take some pictures soon. The screen stopped working on the board recently, so I have to send it back to Virtue to be fixed, so I won't be able to take any pics with the screen on at the moment.

I think I did post a write up about it, but not really a full tutorial or anything.

It's fairly basic, but there are two things that could be difficult for someone that is not an experienced DIYer or modder.

The board pretty much drops right in, so no hard part there

You have to replace the NME trigger with an Etek trigger which also drops in.

The tricky parts are:

You have to buy some Etek 2 eyes and transfer the eyes from the NME wiring harness to the Etek 2 harness.

You have to put a molex connecter on the solenoid wires so it can plug into the Etek 2 board.

You *MAY* have to relocate the power button on the board so it lines up with the power button in the frame, or rig something that will connect to the button in the frame and press the button on the board when you press it (like a piece of a paper clip or something). This will depend on your specific frame and how well the board lines up when you install it. Another option would be to cut some of the excess material off of one end of the board to make it line up correctly.

You have to cut a window in the grip frame for the OLED screen. This can be fairly easy if you have the right tools. I did it with a dremmel. While not the ideal tool, it got the job done. I just went slow and kept checking it.

If you use a non-OLED Etek2 board, everything is the same except for cutting the window in the frame.

If you use a PMR board, pretty much the same except no window, and use PMR parts (eyes, trigger, etc.).

I'll see if I can get some pictures up.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 AM #10
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Damn, this marker is a beast. I love it.

My only problem I've had consistently is the ram adjustment screw unscrewing as I fire. 2 pods in the screw backs all the way out and it starts chopping every other shot. How do you guys keep it from moving? Im thinking teflon tape, but is that enough to hold it over the course of a few pods, let alone a 2 day scenario (3-4 cases).
Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM #11
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Blue loctite will do the job.