Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jonezed7 plays in the APPA D5 division
Jonezed7 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller View Post
so a clean wipe and fresh install of lion is kinda nice.
How are you liking lion? I'm still skeptical about upgrading.
Jonezed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM #45
AznPballin
FORTUNE

has been a member for 10 years
AznPballin is an NCPA player
AznPballin plays in the APPA D4 division
AznPballin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonezed7 View Post
Same here. But maybe it is because I have the old black macbook so I really don't enjoy the extra benefits of it that much.

Otherwise from that, I am going to wait until more apps can be fine tuned to work under Lion since I like to modify a lot of things.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 AM #46
PuNisHeR--
OGPT CREW

Lion is ill, i absolutely loved it for the two seconds I had my mac before I returned it.

I had tried out lion the the early 2011 Macbook pro 15 inch. The specs I had were as follows.

15 inch
4 GB RAM
2.2 GHz quad core processor
750 GB 5400 rpm hard drive.

The battery life on that just was so ****ing ****ty I was beyond pissed. I had a 2 hour lifetime, and then it would die. I returned that and now I'm just browsing around. I had called 2 apple stores near me and they both said they had exactly what I wanted so I went in to the first store, and the clerk was telling me what i wanted was not what i needed. She was basically telling me that I'm retarded for wanting what I wanted. Needless to say, they didnt have the mac I wanted. I went into the next store, and the clerks there were nothing but nice. But they didnt have the ****ing macbook I asked for. I specifically called ahead to make sure I didnt have to make the drive to see if they had it. And they didnt, that made me beyond pissed. I had to pay 25 dollars to park for 30 mins. Manhatten is an absolute *****.

I'm calling apple now and explaining this complaint in much more detail to some sort of manager that they have on call. I'm going to try my best to squeeze in anything and everything from them.

Have you tried lion yet? All i was doing was some editing, a lot of multi tasking, and playing small rpgs like runescape. I just want something that is pretty much not going to be slow at all and not give me problems. I get pissed off so easily by the piece of **** im working on now and i dont want to be frustrated throughout college.
PuNisHeR-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM #47
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player
pa1ntball 56 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuNisHeR-- View Post
Lion is ill, i absolutely loved it for the two seconds I had my mac before I returned it.

I had tried out lion the the early 2011 Macbook pro 15 inch. The specs I had were as follows.

15 inch
4 GB RAM
2.2 GHz quad core processor
750 GB 5400 rpm hard drive.

The battery life on that just was so ****ing ****ty I was beyond pissed. I had a 2 hour lifetime, and then it would die. I returned that and now I'm just browsing around. I had called 2 apple stores near me and they both said they had exactly what I wanted so I went in to the first store, and the clerk was telling me what i wanted was not what i needed. She was basically telling me that I'm retarded for wanting what I wanted. Needless to say, they didnt have the mac I wanted. I went into the next store, and the clerks there were nothing but nice. But they didnt have the ****ing macbook I asked for. I specifically called ahead to make sure I didnt have to make the drive to see if they had it. And they didnt, that made me beyond pissed. I had to pay 25 dollars to park for 30 mins. Manhatten is an absolute *****.

I'm calling apple now and explaining this complaint in much more detail to some sort of manager that they have on call. I'm going to try my best to squeeze in anything and everything from them.

Have you tried lion yet? All i was doing was some editing, a lot of multi tasking, and playing small rpgs like runescape. I just want something that is pretty much not going to be slow at all and not give me problems. I get pissed off so easily by the piece of **** im working on now and i dont want to be frustrated throughout college.
That may be due to your settings and what you were running - turn your brightness down when on battery power and the back lit keyboard off unless its dark - did you try to recalibrate the battery? i had the same issues with my macbook pro when new with the time it displayed till dead - I recalbrated and it helped a lot.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM #48
2k2nastyimpy
CFD #17043

2k2nastyimpy is a Supporting Member
2k2nastyimpy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2k2nastyimpy supports Team VICIOUS
So I restarted my macbook pro today for no reason, went to log in and got this error " Your home folder, which is protected by filevault, didnt open. It needs to be repaired" I clicked ok to reapir it and then get this error "You are unable to log into account at this time, logging into this account failed because an error occured."

What to do? If I reinstall OSX would I love everything I had on my desktop and what not? Some advice please and thanks!
2k2nastyimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM #49
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2nastyimpy
So I restarted my macbook pro today for no reason, went to log in and got this error " Your home folder, which is protected by filevault, didnt open. It needs to be repaired" I clicked ok to reapir it and then get this error "You are unable to log into account at this time, logging into this account failed because an error occured."

What to do? If I reinstall OSX would I love everything I had on my desktop and what not? Some advice please and thanks!
Did you have a time machine backup?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM #50
2k2nastyimpy
CFD #17043

I don't. I dont own one
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM #51
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznPballin View Post
Same here. But maybe it is because I have the old black macbook so I really don't enjoy the extra benefits of it that much.

Otherwise from that, I am going to wait until more apps can be fine tuned to work under Lion since I like to modify a lot of things.
I have a black macbook as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 PM #52
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2nastyimpy
I don't. I dont own one
Time machine = external hard drive for backing up, only other thing i could think of is to use your boot disk to repair permissions etc
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM #53
2k2nastyimpy
CFD #17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg View Post
Time machine = external hard drive for backing up, only other thing i could think of is to use your boot disk to repair permissions etc
If I swap my harddrives out and mount the one that is having problems into a external housing, could I access the data via USB cable?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 PM #54
2k2nastyimpy
CFD #17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg View Post
I've followed this method that is a few posts down with success until I get to step #7 and have no luck. I'm back into the computer with most of my applications but no photos etc

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM #55
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky Wizard View Post
Are there alternative RAID setups?

For the storage space the overall cost seems great compared to a used XServe or a Mac Pro Server.
Think about it this way. The drives in that $2,000 unit.... are $119 each RETAIL.

hop on newegg and there are plenty of enclosures that can be had for under $200. Now granted, you might be stuck with something as "lowly" as SATA, but do you really need the extra speed?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 AM #56
maddog91
I hate this name

maddog91 donated to help Peyton Trent
So my girl lent me her old windows laptop while I figure out my laptop situation..God I CANT wait to hop on my Apple bandwagon again lol...the air is going to be mine and im to pumped..everyone keeps telling me to NOT get it, but to be honest the less I have had access to a laptop the more I use my iPhone4 the MORE I realize how much time we actually waste on laptops..I figured out that with literally just ONE app I get 95% of my work done...

Pulse..It has all the sites I visit so all my news is on there,spend few min on it several times a day and Im good..Insane how much time I waste on a laptop,now i KNOW that I will be more than golden with it..As long as it puts up with pictures,music management and dl of movies I think ill be fine..and yea school work and **** like that..

Anyways,anyone recommend a good external drive? I need one where I can have my time machine backup but also store movies and stuff I might not want on my laptop..Something cheap but Im thinking 500gb is enough..Also portable.
maddog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 AM #57
jrmiller
••Swing the hammer••

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonezed7 View Post
its mah. i dont like it to much after using it for a while. maybe after some updates it will be better. might be because im on a black macbook too. gonna get a macbook pro soon though. not to sure which one
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 AM #58
Diametunim

Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
The only decent feature of Lion is multiple desktops other than that, it's completely worthless.
Diametunim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM #59
Kinky Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
Think about it this way. The drives in that $2,000 unit.... are $119 each RETAIL.

hop on newegg and there are plenty of enclosures that can be had for under $200. Now granted, you might be stuck with something as "lowly" as SATA, but do you really need the extra speed?
Eh, I might. The server would be for video storage, I edit a lot of uncompressed HD.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: drewzkie
AIM: k1nk33w1zz3rd
Kinky Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM #60
Kinky Wizard

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/09/...-in-the-world/

Phase 1 is complete...

Xbox LIVE gamertag: drewzkie
AIM: k1nk33w1zz3rd
Kinky Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 PM #61
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky Wizard
I saw that today too. Also, apple has more money than the us gov. Haha
Old 08-10-2011, 05:32 PM #62
maddog91
I hate this name

maddog91 donated to help Peyton Trent
So much money,yet so little savings passed to the user...Apple you ***-wipes..They can seriously cut the prices on their SSD and MAYBE take a small hit on each one..Idk why they wont do the nice favor.
maddog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 PM #63
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog91 View Post
So much money,yet so little savings passed to the user...Apple you ***-wipes..They can seriously cut the prices on their SSD and MAYBE take a small hit on each one..Idk why they wont do the nice favor.
because they don't like you.