PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 AM #484
demonic_dimebag v2
I'm back, *****es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z3R0- View Post
Never had that problem with a Windows install before. The only time I've seen that is when I play with my partitions and the tables don't quite match up anymore. I've only had that problem with Linux partitions though, so I don't know how to approach it happening to a Windows partition. Are you using Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows? Are you sure you're using a version of Windows supported by your version of Boot Camp? Is your Boot Camp up to date?

If you're using BCA, try installing without it. If you aren't using BCA, try using it. Using the Boot Camp Assistant is basically foolproof, so I won't bother explaining how to do that. If you're already using it and want to try installing without it, then just open Disk Utility and check that the partition that BCA made is still present. If it is, perfect, close Disk Utility. If it isn't there then go ahead and create a partition for it now (be careful you don't erase the existing OS X partition). The partition should be there though, otherwise something went wrong with Boot Camp, and that could probably be a reason your Windows installation disk seems confused lol.

Next step, insert the install disk and go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, and choose to restart from the Windows installation disk. Then restart from that prefpane and go through the Windows installation normally. After the computer restarts, be sure to select the correct partition for Windows to install into, and also reformat said partition to NTFS. Let it run its course and then report back.
Thanks man! I'll try that later and let you know what happens.
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM #485
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jonezed7 plays in the APPA D5 division
Jonezed7 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitmatt
Macbook Pro (2010) Question?

My charger stopped working a while ago, and i ordered one off of ebay for 19.99 about a few days ago and just received it. My apple wont turn on, since it's dead, and it seems as if the charger won't work. (bought it off a reputable seller who has sold many). Yet when i hit the indicator light, it flashes multiple times with just the far left one blinking. Why won't it charge or turn on?
Try to borrow a friend's before you send it back.
Jonezed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM #486
demonic_dimebag v2
I'm back, *****es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z3R0- View Post
Never had that problem with a Windows install before. The only time I've seen that is when I play with my partitions and the tables don't quite match up anymore. I've only had that problem with Linux partitions though, so I don't know how to approach it happening to a Windows partition. Are you using Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows? Are you sure you're using a version of Windows supported by your version of Boot Camp? Is your Boot Camp up to date?

If you're using BCA, try installing without it. If you aren't using BCA, try using it. Using the Boot Camp Assistant is basically foolproof, so I won't bother explaining how to do that. If you're already using it and want to try installing without it, then just open Disk Utility and check that the partition that BCA made is still present. If it is, perfect, close Disk Utility. If it isn't there then go ahead and create a partition for it now (be careful you don't erase the existing OS X partition). The partition should be there though, otherwise something went wrong with Boot Camp, and that could probably be a reason your Windows installation disk seems confused lol.

Next step, insert the install disk and go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, and choose to restart from the Windows installation disk. Then restart from that prefpane and go through the Windows installation normally. After the computer restarts, be sure to select the correct partition for Windows to install into, and also reformat said partition to NTFS. Let it run its course and then report back.
Did everything you said, still not working. Just getting the blinking cursor on the black screen whether I do the startup disk method or BCA. I don't get it.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM #487
-Z3R0-

-Z3R0- donated to help Peyton Trent
Hm... well, time to check all the stupid things I guess (ie things that shouldn't be happening). The disk is still in the drive after the computer restarts, yes? Also, try holding down "C" as the computer boots (before the Apple logo comes up) to force it to boot from the disk. Maybe for some reason it partially installs to the HDD and then tries to boot from the incomplete system there rather than continuing from the ODD... ? The other alternative to holding down C would be to hold down Alt/Option and select the CD/DVD to boot from - again, while the screen is all white/grey and the Apple hasn't shown up yet.

I'll try to think up other explanations but I'm not really sure what's going on with this. Can you hear/feel the optical drive spinning up after the computer reboots at all?

EDIT: You might as well use BCA to do this since it seems it probably isn't the issue. I've actually never bothered to use BCA myself because it always tells me it can't find the right drivers for Windows, so I have to install Windows first and then install the drivers from another disk. I think BCA does that for you though to start with, right?
-Z3R0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM #488
legitmatt

legitmatt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonezed7 View Post
Try to borrow a friend's before you send it back.
i got it to work, the charger works fine, it was just asleep and wouldn't wake the **** up haha

"Originally posted by SUR3: kid's legit, listen to him"
legitmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM #489
LGibson
?

LGibson helped look for balloons
anyone know where i can pick up a replacement power button for a 20" intel iMac?

LGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM #490
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)

paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Any reason why picking one of these up would be a bad idea?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Pr...#ht_607wt_1114

I'm just going to be using it as a media server running plex and a few other programs. Nothing too crazy. I was looking at just getting a Mac Mini, but I want one of the 2010's because I want a CD drive.

Plus, I just think the Mac Pro's look sexy as hell.
paintballking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 PM #491
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72
Any reason why picking one of these up would be a bad idea?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Pro-Desktop-August-2006-9-GB-RAM-250-GB-Drive-/180778818214?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item2a1741daa6 #ht_607wt_1114

I'm just going to be using it as a media server running plex and a few other programs. Nothing too crazy. I was looking at just getting a Mac Mini, but I want one of the 2010's because I want a CD drive.

Plus, I just think the Mac Pro's look sexy as hell.
Meh to running a mac pro for a media server there are getter options,Core 2 minis are fine for running plex or Boxee, as long as you aren't compressing video , I don't remember the last time I use a CD
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM #492
paintballking72

I just want a CD/DVD drive to rip my DVD library, and or for the occasional red box.

Like I said, not finding to many of the 2010 mini's that aren't more expensive than when they first came out. I know the core 2's can handle it because my MBP can handle it just fine.

I was just looking at the Mac Pro as an alternative, and since its like a 2007, wasn't sure if I would run into compatibility issues or anything.

If I get the Pro I may use it for more than just a media server. I mean, for less than $100 more than a mini, would there be any downfall to it? I would rather get more power than I need and never use it, than get too less and need more in a few months.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM #493
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
I just want a CD/DVD drive to rip my DVD library, and or for the occasional red box.

Like I said, not finding to many of the 2010 mini's that aren't more expensive than when they first came out. I know the core 2's can handle it because my MBP can handle it just fine.

I was just looking at the Mac Pro as an alternative, and since its like a 2007, wasn't sure if I would run into compatibility issues or anything.

If I get the Pro I may use it for more than just a media server. I mean, for less than $100 more than a mini, would there be any downfall to it? I would rather get more power than I need and never use it, than get too less and need more in a few months.
Compressing video on a mini is no good unless it's the quad i7
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM #494
paintballking72

So I would be better off getting the Mac Pro if I plan on doing a lot of rips?

Doing some googling, the only thing I see that would be a downfall would be the amount of power the pro consumes. Not a huge deal imo.

Just wanted to make sure the pro will be compatible with most apps, and possibly Lion, however I'll probably keep it on SL.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:46 PM #495
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
So I would be better off getting the Mac Pro if I plan on doing a lot of rips?

Doing some googling, the only thing I see that would be a downfall would be the amount of power the pro consumes. Not a huge deal imo.

Just wanted to make sure the pro will be compatible with most apps, and possibly Lion, however I'll probably keep it on SL.
Not sure if the Mac pro especially it being a single Xeon is it a Xeon is single core ?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM #496
paintballking72

The one I posted has 2 dual core Xeons.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 AM #497
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
Hi so my mom's ipad 1 for whatever reason doesn't charge anymore. I tried turning it on/off again, different chargers, and different outlets. I know nothing of apple products, any suggestions guys? Thanks.

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:32 PM #498
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jonezed7 plays in the APPA D5 division
Jonezed7 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JimJims2.0
Hi so my mom's ipad 1 for whatever reason doesn't charge anymore. I tried turning it on/off again, different chargers, and different outlets. I know nothing of apple products, any suggestions guys? Thanks.
How old is it? If its still under warranty take it to an Apple store. Sounds like the battery is bad.
Jonezed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 AM #499
Thor06

The fan in my MBP has been on all of yesterday, and overnight to today. It wasn't being used for the last 9 hours, and I woke up to the fan still spinning. Anything I can do to fix/help?
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 AM #500
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor06
The fan in my MBP has been on all of yesterday, and overnight to today. It wasn't being used for the last 9 hours, and I woke up to the fan still spinning. Anything I can do to fix/help?
Open it an clean the fan
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM #501
pballin77
Oatmeal makes you healthy

pballin77 helped look for balloons
pballin77 is playing at Living Legends III
pballin77 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballin77 supports Team VICIOUS
Any of you who know a good amount about installing bootcamp and windows wanna get on aim and help me out with something? I just wanna play SW:TOR
ASM Council
ST: Music: Guitar thread: OG
pballin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM #502
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

qu1cks1lver56 is playing at Living Legends III
qu1cks1lver56 supports Team VICIOUS
qu1cks1lver56 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
qu1cks1lver56 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg View Post
Open it an clean the fan
Makes me think I need to clean my fan, my MBP seems to get hotter than it used to.
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM #503
paintballking72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballin77 View Post
Any of you who know a good amount about installing bootcamp and windows wanna get on aim and help me out with something? I just wanna play SW:TOR
I heard that SW:TOR won't run correctly on a windows booted mac.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM #504
pballin77
Oatmeal makes you healthy

pballin77 helped look for balloons
pballin77 is playing at Living Legends III
pballin77 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballin77 supports Team VICIOUS
I am going to cry.
ASM Council
ST: Music: Guitar thread: OG
pballin77 is offline   Reply With Quote