PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM #1786
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

has been a member for 10 years
the drain plug in in the bottom flat of the pan. it is also the fill port. you pump it in til it begins to drain, insert plug. connect VCDS and find the MVB for transmission fluid temperature. start the car and run it through the gears. with engine running, remove drain plug and let the fluid temp come up. correct fluid level will begin to drain at approx 40* fluid temp.

I see now, I see."
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM #1787
Borg-Omen
TCUP

Annual Supporting Member
Borg-Omen is a Supporting Member
Celsius
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 PM #1788
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

thought i added that. must have been auto corrected. thanks duder.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 AM #1789
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

DillonT is reppin' sidebar 4 life
DillonT has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
sounds like a pain in the butt. guess ill see what happens. going from the front of the car to the back. so control arms and brakes are first.
i got the front end taken off tonight. one of the hex bolts for lower timing cover was too far away for my hex sockets. i got those, and the 12 point/triple square for my birthday a few days early from my parents today.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 AM #1790
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

Last edited by DillonT : 10-11-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM #1791
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worr, the wee tot. View Post
While we're on the subject of things that are annoying as hell, I've got a relatively faint coolant smell coming from under the hood, and it's in the cabin when I crank the heat. No warning lights, no smoke coming from the vents, no drips that I can see, and the level is good (haven't lost anything yet). To be clear, the smell was present before I had the heat on, but turning the heat on brings the smell into the cabin. I ran it about 70 miles last night and there was no smell, then I went to the bank this morning and noticed the smell in the parking lot...hoped it was someone else, but nope.
Quote:
TSI 2.0 (2009), my good sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post
water pump/thermostat housing. under the intake manifold, rear of engine above transmission/starter. plastic housing. it's driven by it's own little timing belt off the balance shaft and is a mother****er, but check there first.
I'm not seeing anything I'd consider unusual, certainly no leaks.

Should the upper radiator hose be soft/flaccid when hot? I drove it about an hour, then left it running and poked around. The hose is soft, and the radiator cap threads are crusty - low pressure?

This is probably unrelated, I can also see a line in the reservoir where the coolant was originally green. About 6 months ago the dealership topped it with red and it's sitting on top (oil/vinegar type idea).
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM #1792
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
I'm not seeing anything I'd consider unusual, certainly no leaks.

Should the upper radiator hose be soft/flaccid when hot? I drove it about an hour, then left it running and poked around. The hose is soft, and the radiator cap threads are crusty - low pressure?

This is probably unrelated, I can also see a line in the reservoir where the coolant was originally green. About 6 months ago the dealership topped it with red and it's sitting on top (oil/vinegar type idea).
if you're smelling it, it's leaking somewhere.

no. it's not holding pressure because it's got a leak somewhere, or it's been venting pressure because the system is getting plugged up.

if the coolant is mixed you need to have it chemically flushed, very thoroughly, (think 2-3 times) before that **** turns into elmers glue somewhere. the pink stuff is far better in every aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonT View Post
[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/577237_380412568702168_2051684282_n.jpg[/IG]
[img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/254500_380412578702167_714250445_n.jpg[/ig]

why in the blue hell did you take the whole radiator support off and not just service position?

I see now, I see."
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 PM #1793
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post

why in the blue hell did you take the whole radiator support off and not just service position?
Dude. ive never done this or anything like it before. i really couldnt see how to get it into service position. taking the support off really isnt that bad, and its making the job very easy.

found a cracked vc gasket,
and for anyone wondering about 1 piece head light swaps. plugs 100% arent the same, and the fender needs to be cut.there was talk of this earlier in thread

annnddd. i got a question... why does everyone say that the water pump is turned by timing belt?

Last edited by DillonT : 10-11-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM #1794
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

service position is is when you pull the 7 or 8 T45's and couple T30's that hold the core support on. then it hangs off the bumper arms, radiator hoses, snub mount, and harness. it gives you approx 8 extra inches at the top to work.

it is on 1 piece headlight cars.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 AM #1795
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

ohhh. i kinda get it. but this was nice. made life easy, and i got to get in and clean/ take my time. but if i ever have to do it again, or an alternator or w/e ill do it that way.

n00b question. snub mount. is that the rubber bushing thing on the bottom of the radiator support that goes into the, front of the car?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM #1796
Watermelondrea
Ridin' in that 'Gatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomstone2262 View Post
Rob do this

Sooooo hot.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 AM #1797
Not AzaTuR
Wax On Wax Off

Okay boys..... My VR6 was running really strong. Started leaking oil but I gradually put more in it. I coudn't find the leak. Recently it leaked all of the oil overnight. I put more oil in it but it wont start, it's making a really nasty sound when it trys to run. Check engine light is NOT on though. What do?

XBLAzaTuR
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 AM #1798
Alan777
Tree Fitty

snub mount=front engine mount
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM #1799
Watermelondrea
Ridin' in that 'Gatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not AzaTuR View Post
Okay boys..... My VR6 was running really strong. Started leaking oil but I gradually put more in it. I coudn't find the leak. Recently it leaked all of the oil overnight. I put more oil in it but it wont start, it's making a really nasty sound when it trys to run. Check engine light is NOT on though. What do?
vr6t or bust.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 PM #1800
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

timing belt, water pump, tstat, coolant flush and 1 piece headlights / hid's done. took longer then expected lol

hid/1 piece swap went very smooth. crazy how bright hid and projector is. i didnt have to cut or splice any wires either

how long should i expect to take to do control arms, and front brakes? or the rear axle seals/drain and fill?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 PM #1801
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

atleast an hour each per control arm, 1.5 or 2 for the brakes, 3 each for the rear axle seals and atleast 2 for the drain and fill

I see now, I see."
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM #1802
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

I really don't know if your serious or not.seems like such a long time. Well..guess not enough time today.

Also mildly contemplating skipping ctrl arms until spring and do coils at same time,but i've got a front passenger clunk .for most part only happens going forward with brakes applied at low speed...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 AM #1803
Borg-Omen
TCUP

Annual Supporting Member
Borg-Omen is a Supporting Member
do you have an air hammer?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 AM #1804
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonT View Post
I really don't know if your serious or not.seems like such a long time. Well..guess not enough time today.

Also mildly contemplating skipping ctrl arms until spring and do coils at same time,but i've got a front passenger clunk .for most part only happens going forward with brakes applied at low speed...
i gave you book time on the arms and slightly adjusted book time on everything else since you're working on the ground.

working on a lift with my tools i can knock out a set of control arms in like 30 minutes.it's only 4 bolts to get the strut out and then a bolt a piece for the arms.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 AM #1805
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

alright cool. and yeah, ive got an air hammer, and an impact. but i have a crappy craftsman impact. my buddy let me borrow his snap on impact guns. so hopefully that will make control arms easier. gonna do them on tuesday.

oh.. and through whole timing belt ordeal... everything worked great. except i lost a clip that holds the radiator hose to radiator on the top. and i lost the 2 brackets that hold the condenser to the radiator. i fabricated some condenser mount, but im having a ***** of a time with the hose clip. looks like car quest will have one monday. under a vw part number.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 AM #1806
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

as long as you didn't lose it behind the timing cover.

I see now, I see."
Closed Thread