PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-03-2009, 04:21 PM #589
infinital

1. I use premier pro but I haven't posted any of what i've worked on
2. can't answer this really
3. with a DSLR you don't have to buy a 35mm adapter for your camera. The DSLR already uses 35mm lenses so you can control DoF easily. on the flipside you dont have nice things like xlr input or timecode
Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM #590
uknowme
Glorior Nex

thanks for your input, others are welcome
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down

You do not just put ***** on a pedestal, you build a shrine and worship that ****, viewing it as a deity. Never to be approached, touched, or made tangible but requiring daily sacrifices and repentance. - God of the Lost speaking to Potz
uknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:46 PM #591
thaballer1028

thaballer1028 helped look for balloons
thaballer1028 is playing at Living Legends III
thaballer1028 is for the Gunfight
thaballer1028 supports Sherwood Forest
has anyone had any experience with the sony webbie? the regular camcorder not the flip one. im looking for one to use on the boat to film wake boarding and maybe some paintball. any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM #592
uknowme
Glorior Nex

**** i need a camera, ive had quite a few ideas hit me in the last week and all i can do is write them down for now since i cant act on them.

You do not just put ***** on a pedestal, you build a shrine and worship that ****, viewing it as a deity. Never to be approached, touched, or made tangible but requiring daily sacrifices and repentance. - God of the Lost speaking to Potz
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM #593
D:< @ DYNASTY
so pitted.

has been a member for 10 years
D:< @ DYNASTY posts videos on PbNation
1. final cut
2. dunno what ur asking.
3. good: dslr have lenses. dslrs are better in low light. they are small and portable/easy to shoot with. bad: with fast movement they get shutter blur. lack of inputs. sometimes uncomfortable to shoot with... other stuffs.

01' Billy Wing Ironmen + 02' Mark Knop Avalanche jerseys.
2004 Prototype JT Team pants.
Rare flex parts - Celtic, Black Techno + more.
Shocker, Intimidator, 98 Custom.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"
D:< @ DYNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM #594
Blazestorm2
I like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by D:< @ DYNASTY View Post
other stuffs.
Like it's not a video camera?
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:20 PM #595
uknowme
Glorior Nex

ill clarify
question two is referring to lighting setups, camera mounts and so on.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 PM #596
D:< @ DYNASTY
so pitted.

D:< @ DYNASTY posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazestorm2 View Post
Like it's not a video camera?
not gunna lie. imma prob end up with one within this next year.

question 2: i use what i have to make what i want.

01' Billy Wing Ironmen + 02' Mark Knop Avalanche jerseys.
2004 Prototype JT Team pants.
Rare flex parts - Celtic, Black Techno + more.
Shocker, Intimidator, 98 Custom.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"
D:< @ DYNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:16 PM #597
infinital

Quote:

question 2: i use what i have to make what i want.
bamf
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 AM #598
Akira2188 (Banned)

Quote:
1. final cut
2. dunno what ur asking.
3. good: dslr have lenses. dslrs are better in low light. they are small and portable/easy to shoot with. bad: with fast movement they get shutter blur. lack of inputs. sometimes uncomfortable to shoot with... other stuffs.
to clarify number 3, swappable lenses which is not common on dedicated video cameras, shallow depth of field that is difficult on dedicated video cameras, much larger sensors then you would find in many dedicated video cameras. Better low light shooting then many dedicated video cameras. Let me put it this way, im in the middle of working on a 48hr film festival and instead of shooting on a HVX (a very expensive HD camera) we are shooting on a pair of 5d2s and getting much better image quality then we would of had we used the HVX and a 5d2 is much cheaper.
Akira2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:47 AM #599
matrixpballer

"Image quality" is a relative term. Is it "prettier/sexier" on a DSLR? Yeah. People seem to go nuts for the DOF capability, I guess I am one of them.

-BUT-

The way that Canon and Nikon have implemented video features causes many problems. I won't get into super details about things, but basically, the image really is not that great. It just gets masked by the shallow DOF that everyone uses (and overuses in my opinion).

Don't buy one thinking that its the greatest thing ever and its all you need to make good movies, cause it ain't true. There are lots of workarounds, lots of money that you have to invest in secondary gear just to get a properly working rig capable of cinema work, and lots of little quirks to keep in mind.

I've used a one a couple of times now and I can tell you, dealing with their problems will get annoying. Having said that, I'll probably end up buying one soon for specific applications.

Don't let this discourage you cause it's your money to do what you please with, but I would suggest learning on an actual video camera first if you're serious about it. Or at least reading up on the subject extensively.

Here is a good article about DSLR video and its capabilities/pitfalls.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/article.php/20

flickr

Derder
United States Navy

Last edited by matrixpballer : 12-06-2009 at 04:44 AM.
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 AM #600
Blazestorm2
I like me

Yea, there are specific applications is where I can see a DSLR being used, but being used the ENTIRE time may not be the best route.

But it doesn't replace video cameras... atleast not in their current form...

What will probably happen is a sorta hybrid... like what RED is doing... DSLR/Video in one... atleast that's what I think I read somewhere...

I'm most likely going to get a 7D... it's fast for standard pictures ... 18mp @ 8fps, and it does 1080p30/24/25 and 720p60... and it's under $1900... yea it's not full frame but meh...
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM #601
matrixpballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazestorm2 View Post
Yea, there are specific applications is where I can see a DSLR being used, but being used the ENTIRE time may not be the best route.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that, because if it fits the bill for what you need then it can be a great tool that produces great pictures. You just have to be aware of the things you need to avoid to keep the picture from falling apart.

Also, if you normally only use auto focus on video cameras, good luck trying to get your manual focusing right on a DSLR without a bunch of practice.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
Old 12-06-2009, 12:49 PM #602
Blazestorm2
I like me

Like I said... "may" not be the best route... it may be though...

I'd say you should only be using auto-focus if you're shooting something unpredictable (Sports / Live whatever). But if you already know what you should be shooting and are setting up shots, then you obviously should be using manual focus...

I'm quite terrible at manual focus for anything but a static shot though... then again I don't shoot all that much and when I do it's usually paintball and I use auto-focus until I setup a shot then I frame/set manual focus and leave it there, then switch back to auto when I follow a player / whatever... seems to work for me...
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM #603
Akira2188 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixpballer View Post
"Image quality" is a relative term. Is it "prettier/sexier" on a DSLR? Yeah. People seem to go nuts for the DOF capability, I guess I am one of them.

-BUT-

The way that Canon and Nikon have implemented video features causes many problems. I won't get into super details about things, but basically, the image really is not that great. It just gets masked by the shallow DOF that everyone uses (and overuses in my opinion).

Don't buy one thinking that its the greatest thing ever and its all you need to make good movies, cause it ain't true. There are lots of workarounds, lots of money that you have to invest in secondary gear just to get a properly working rig capable of cinema work, and lots of little quirks to keep in mind.

I've used a one a couple of times now and I can tell you, dealing with their problems will get annoying. Having said that, I'll probably end up buying one soon for specific applications.

Don't let this discourage you cause it's your money to do what you please with, but I would suggest learning on an actual video camera first if you're serious about it. Or at least reading up on the subject extensively.

Here is a good article about DSLR video and its capabilities/pitfalls.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/article.php/20
I agree about the quirks and difficulties, but you also need to consider the amount of image quality you are getting for the price. Also the magic lantern firmware and the canon firmware updates fix many of the quirks in the camera. The 5d does have af during video recording, but it is not very good. Ive used video cameras too and the majority of the time i manually focused anyways. I dont really know what you are talking about in terms of image quality, many people i have talked to who I am sure are way more knowledgeable then you, love the image quality. Dslrs are not a replacement for dedicated video cameras, but it is a new useful function and something that will be used for more and more video work, as people begin to use less film and more digital. Its a great compromise for someone who wants to use digital, but cant afford a red.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 PM #604
matrixpballer

I am fully aware of the cost/benefits of the DSLRs. And at the price point its a very powerful tool. Like I said, I'll probably be buying one very soon.

But the Magic Lantern firmware only helps to get rid of AGC, which doesnt help you unless you have a secondary XLR adapter ($$), and the Canon firmware only gives you manual control - those are far from "fixing" the many quirks of the camera. Especially the 30p, not 29.97 of the 5DmkII. Not to mention the horrid skewing that most people don't seem to account for when shooting - although this aspect seems to be getting better with each generation.

AF on these cameras during video is a joke, don't even bother using it, it'll just end up ruining a shot.

The image is, in comparison with dedicated video cameras, not great. The video used by Canon and Nikon, while high in bandwidth in terms of compression, shows A TON of artifacting under what would be considered totally normal shooting circumstances. Also, that "1920x1080 resolution" you think youre getting...forget about it. The actual effective resolution of the 7D is about 600 lines, way below HD. Even little prosumer HD cams are sharper than the DSLRs. This has to do with the physical structure of how they are made (as still cameras!), and how the camera downscales (or really doesnt - it line skips) to HD specs.

Youre mistaking what Im saying for an attack on DSLRs or something. I'm not attacking them. I'm going to buy one. But this guy who asked for the pro's and con's should know what he's getting into before he buys one.

Still dont believe me over you "more knowledgeable" friends? Read up on the subject. That article I linked to is a good one.

Just to reiterate, I'm not calling these cameras crap. They are great, especially for the price, as has been pointed out. Just know what your'e buying.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy

Last edited by matrixpballer : 12-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 AM #605
uknowme
Glorior Nex

Quote:
Youre mistaking what Im saying for an attack on DSLRs or something. I'm not attacking them. I'm going to buy one. But this guy who asked for the pro's and con's should know what he's getting into before he buys one.
see this is good, i completely understand what you are saying and that was a pretty good link, it helped a lot. every time i keep pulling toward the dslr i remember what the link and you have been saying and since i want to stick to video almost completely than i see no point in getting the Dslr (yet). i need to work on technique first and foremost. then i will get the dslr to play around with and learn more and cooler ways to film.
thanks to everyone that has helped with my questions. Hopefully ill be able to get a camera before i move out to vegas where there are more fields to go around to. that and i need some practice before i do some colab work with Mr. Sean Suriano.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 AM #606
Akira2188 (Banned)

Quote:
I am fully aware of the cost/benefits of the DSLRs. And at the price point its a very powerful tool. Like I said, I'll probably be buying one very soon.

But the Magic Lantern firmware only helps to get rid of AGC, which doesnt help you unless you have a secondary XLR adapter ($$), and the Canon firmware only gives you manual control - those are far from "fixing" the many quirks of the camera. Especially the 30p, not 29.97 of the 5DmkII. Not to mention the horrid skewing that most people don't seem to account for when shooting - although this aspect seems to be getting better with each generation.

AF on these cameras during video is a joke, don't even bother using it, it'll just end up ruining a shot.

The image is, in comparison with dedicated video cameras, not great. The video used by Canon and Nikon, while high in bandwidth in terms of compression, shows A TON of artifacting under what would be considered totally normal shooting circumstances. Also, that "1920x1080 resolution" you think youre getting...forget about it. The actual effective resolution of the 7D is about 600 lines, way below HD. Even little prosumer HD cams are sharper than the DSLRs. This has to do with the physical structure of how they are made (as still cameras!), and how the camera downscales (or really doesnt - it line skips) to HD specs.

Still dont believe me over you "more knowledgeable" friends? Read up on the subject. That article I linked to is a good one.

Just to reiterate, I'm not calling these cameras crap. They are great, especially for the price, as has been pointed out. Just know what your'e buying.
I didnt mean to come off as attacking, obviously you know what you are talking about, ive litterally slept 10hrs in the last 48hrs. My background is in photography, and 95% of what i do is photojournalism and having the ability to shoot video in a package and with a look that I am used to, without having to really carry additional gear is a huge advantage to me. I am in the middle of an international 48hr film competition that we are shooting all on 5d2s and although the editing has been difficult, the product that we are producing is turning out awesome. I read through the article and see what you mean about the aliasing. I am content with the limitations of the 5d2, but i can see how people would prefer a traditional system. Basically i think it comes down to using what you want. My focus is on stills. I am happy with the 5d2 footage, it has its limitations and I understand that.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:17 AM #607
paintball_kidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilted_bunker View Post

My raynox HD 6600 pro just came in today. I have been stalling on getting one and finally got around to it. I would like to pick up a JAG35pro soon.
Don't get one, maybe its just mines, but it was a POS, gave nice DOF but there is like imperfection on the condenser which leaves a black spec on my image, which cannot be cleaned off. Lesson learned, Im going to invest in more qaulity stuff next time despite the cost. Sold it off and got a rode videomic.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 PM #608
stressfire II (Banned)

can we post videos in this thread? i call this one the "lovestorm" cuz this badass texas storm we witnessed had a heart-shaped cloud in the skies. i wonder if tricking my lens to lock the aperture would have made the "blinking" stop. but check it out.

stressfire II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM #609
Blazestorm2
I like me

It might have helped, the other issue is what sensor your camera was using...

CMOS sensors will cause weird effects with fast lighting (like camera flashes or lightning)