Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM #274
HBlack (Banned)

Day for night could work, but it'll be blatantly obvious if you try mixing it with footage actually shot at night. Assuming you're still going the street light route, I'd use a lot of cuts so you don't need to show more than 2 light pools at once so you don't need as many lights. Also, is a generator really necessary? Try talking to the people who live in the area and see if they'll let you plug into the outlet on the outside of their house, which they're bound to have. Just make sure you've got some long extension cords.
HBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM #275
mitch likes pumps
inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlack View Post
You use blue gels for that, also know as CTBs. They come in varying strengths. I find 1/2 makes a yellowish light close to daylight white/slightly bluish, and a full CTB is best for the full night effect.

EDIT: Correction, with the lights I'm using 1/2 makes it white, full makes it daylight blue, and more than that can be used for blue night of varying intensity.
Oh, righto. I asked because I know you can do a day to night thing in After Effects - is this just as effective?
mitch likes pumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 PM #276
HBlack (Banned)

Depends on what effect you're going for. If you want it to look like a blue light source, then definitely use a blue light source. You can colour correct your footage, but doing it with your lighting always looks better. An example of this is in my fight video. You'll notice some of it has a blue tone. I used blue gelled lights shining in through the window for this to simulate outdoor light, as most of it was shot after dark.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 AM #277
takenyouth
hmm?

Quote:
Day for night could work, but it'll be blatantly obvious if you try mixing it with footage actually shot at night. Assuming you're still going the street light route, I'd use a lot of cuts so you don't need to show more than 2 light pools at once so you don't need as many lights. Also, is a generator really necessary? Try talking to the people who live in the area and see if they'll let you plug into the outlet on the outside of their house, which they're bound to have. Just make sure you've got some long extension cords.
well our scene is shot on a road which has no houses on it, so the generator is kind of necessary. Plus the shot would be filmed in the back of a truck driving at around 15 mph. So, i dont htink an extension chord could really work . Well we really only used the lighting to amplify the effect of a street light, so i'm gonna try editing it to look a little bit more natural.

I have a JVC GY-HD110u how would i go about shooting a day for night? Like how would i change the exposure? Do i change the shutter? What should i change to make "darker" I already know that i have to white balance to a yellow card to make it look "blue," but making it look dark is what im having trouble with.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 AM #278
HBlack (Banned)

Day for night is something that's done in post, there aren't any camera setting's that'll do it properly. All you really need to do is shoot in the right conditions for it. Dusk works best, but any time where there aren't harsh shadows will do. Check out videocopilot.com for their tutorial. I've done it and it was passable, but actually shooting at night is always better in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 AM #279
takenyouth
hmm?

Quote:
Day for night is something that's done in post, there aren't any camera setting's that'll do it properly. All you really need to do is shoot in the right conditions for it. Dusk works best, but any time where there aren't harsh shadows will do. Check out videocopilot.com for their tutorial. I've done it and it was passable, but actually shooting at night is always better in my opinion.
most of it is shot at night, just for the budget and all i need to shoot the full out spring shot during the day.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM #280
HBlack (Banned)

Well, good luck. It's going to take some intense motion tracking and CC work if you want it to look passable. Post it when you're finished.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM #281
takenyouth
hmm?

i'm gonna need a of advice with this shot? mind if i can contact you HBlack?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM #282
HBlack (Banned)

Sure, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to help. I don't think I'd be able to do this decently myself which is why I'm advising against it, but I'll help out however I can.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 PM #283
takenyouth
hmm?

Quote:
Well, good luck. It's going to take some intense motion tracking and CC work if you want it to look passable. Post it when you're finished.
whats motion tracking and CC? i use final cut studio 2. so im not really sure what those are.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 PM #284
HBlack (Banned)

Motion tracking would be required for doing a streetlight effect within a day for night conversion, but if you don't know what it is then I really doubt you'll be able to do it effectively enough for the effect. It basically involves tracking objects within the frame and doing your effects relative to that data.

CC stands for colour correction.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:45 AM #285
takenyouth
hmm?

Quote:
Motion tracking would be required for doing a streetlight effect within a day for night conversion, but if you don't know what it is then I really doubt you'll be able to do it effectively enough for the effect. It basically involves tracking objects within the frame and doing your effects relative to that data.

CC stands for colour correction.
yea i've been using Final Cut Studio 2 and it has a program called Color. Its works pretty good. I tried messing with some shots yesterday for a day to night conversion and it look alright. Not nearly as good as Andrew Kramer, but i think it might able to pass.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 AM #286
matrixpballer

has been a member for 10 years
So since this is the movie thread and HBlack shared a script earlier, I thought I would post the end sequence of the very last scene from what I am currently working on.

[Over the shoulder of Drew, camera tracks forward with him as he walks towards Jon's body on ground.]

[POV shot from Jon, looking into sky from ground. Drew's face comes into frame. we hear Jon groaning quietly.]

Ben:
"Ooooo...sorry, Jon. But...[pauses]...business... [Drew raises gun into frame], is business." [camera rack focuses to gun barrel - fires. cuts to black.]

Still in pre-production, and I havent completely got the script at where I want it, but it should be cool.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM #287
takenyouth
hmm?

Post it when its done. i actually have a script i'd like to share, but its 20 pages long...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 AM #288
HBlack (Banned)

woo auditions this friday. Only 13 people have confirmed they're coming so far, but I'll deal.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 PM #289
HawaiianStyle (Banned)
SILVER SPOON

...from a movie im working on. Pretty bad ***... The location is sketchy as ****. We found a syringe on the floor of one of the rooms.

HawaiianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM #290
matrixpballer

has been a member for 10 years
Your lighting needs work in those. Its probably the number one killer of independent movies (besides $$), especially those filmed in dark settings.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM #291
HBlack (Banned)

Lighting does need work. Shoot progressive if you can, or at least de-interlace. In the first two it's not even obvious he's holding a gun unless you really look at it. Just getting a rim light on the gun would help. The last one is blurry/splotchy, and I don't like the framing. Find a way to bypass your camera's gain entirely, and raise your shutter speed. This could involve living with a darker image, or making the effort to light it.
If you're shooting in auto, stop. If not, you really need to work on getting your exposure right. Even if your camera doesn't have much manual control, you can usually lock exposure off of something bright and bring it down from there to avoid gain.

Also, why is a kid with mop hair in a suit dead in a chair? If the only actors you have are your friends, make your roles age appropriate. Reservoir Dogs would have lost some of its credibility if its actors were 16.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM #292
HawaiianStyle (Banned)
SILVER SPOON

Quote:
Lighting does need work. Shoot progressive if you can, or at least de-interlace. In the first two it's not even obvious he's holding a gun unless you really look at it. Just getting a rim light on the gun would help. The last one is blurry/splotchy, and I don't like the framing. Find a way to bypass your camera's gain entirely, and raise your shutter speed. This could involve living with a darker image, or making the effort to light it.
If you're shooting in auto, stop. If not, you really need to work on getting your exposure right. Even if your camera doesn't have much manual control, you can usually lock exposure off of something bright and bring it down from there to avoid gain.

Also, why is a kid with mop hair in a suit dead in a chair? If the only actors you have are your friends, make your roles age appropriate. Reservoir Dogs would have lost some of its credibility if its actors were 16.
Yeah, i do need to learn better lighting techniques, im actually taking a class JUST about lighting. So that should be dank. And there was no power in the crack house

we are not done. I will post it when we are done.

He is not dead in a chair. you need to see what happens to get it.

and the actors were 18-20.

I think they are hella blurry just b/c i prnt screened the video. :-\
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM #293
HBlack (Banned)

What were your camera settings for that?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM #294
HawaiianStyle (Banned)
SILVER SPOON

everything was on manual, exp was kinda cranked, WB,

this is all natural light too btw, old abandon house in the woods.