mitch likes pumps
inactive

Thanks dawg.
mitch likes pumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM #254
HBlack (Banned)

I've got 18 people who say they're coming to the audition so far, having the crew over this weekend to do some test shooting and practice, and I'm picking up the breakaway glass tomorrow. This zombie movie's going to be rediculous.
HBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 PM #255
OrbitalDeath127
whitewashed

has been a member for 10 years
OrbitalDeath127 is playing at Living Legends V
OrbitalDeath127 is an NCPA player
OrbitalDeath127 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch likes pumps View Post
Hey guys: thoughts on this boompole?

I'm looking for something under 100 $. Thanks.

P.S.: will it work with this shockmount?
That's the same one that I'm looking at to possibly pick up.

*Edit - The boom pole I mean.
OrbitalDeath127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM #256
optionboarder81
BANGBANG

does anybody know what would be a good camera for under or around $500. I would be filming skateboarding/snowboarding/sports and for just entertainment. I would either get a minidv or hdd. Brands arent that much of a priority, but id probably be leaning towards jvc,canon,sony or panasonic.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM #257
Cfarr3
Cole Farr

I'm playing at the Camp Blanding scenario game in February and I want a helmet cam to film the action. Willing to spend around 200. I will also use the camera to catch the action during practice. I have been looking at the ATC-2000 because it's a self-contained unit, but is there something better that I HAVE to get instead? Thanks for any advice!
Cfarr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 PM #258
HBlack (Banned)

Posted this on dvxuser, but figured I might get some advice here.

I need to light a basement.

Looking for advice on lighting schemes, as well as general tips to doing this. I've got three 1k redheads, have access to some 750watt fresnels if necessary (no stands for those), 3 1/2 CTBs and a CTO (none of which will probably be used, but I thought I should mention it). I was planning on putting the key wherever it looks best for the shot, and putting the fill close enough to achieve the desired amount of shadow.

One problem is diffusion. The lights are very bright, and I don't have the money for real diffusion, so I've been using pillow cases. They work well enough, but decrease the amount of light very significantly. Any ideas on diffusion that can either be found in a household or bought for nearly nothing, that I can layer to achieve the right brightness level? I want to pick up a few of those $10 dimmers, but again, 0 money at the moment.

Any tips on how you would go about lighting this with the tools I have available would be great. It's a horror, so I'm going for a high contrast look while still making it (at least somewhat) suit the practicals. For the majority of it, there is one person sitting to one side (to the right of the guy with a gun in the picture linked below), a dead guy sitting to his left, and one character who walks around. There are parts where both living characters are walking around.

Pictures of the basement.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=99f1h1&s=3
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mnm5at&s=3
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 PM #259
Primal Gnomes
Cardboard

Black what are you doing for zombie effects?
Primal Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM #260
HBlack (Banned)

Not sure I follow. Do you mean makeup or other visual effects?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM #261
Primal Gnomes
Cardboard

Makeup / how are you making the zombies look like zombies.
Primal Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 PM #262
HBlack (Banned)

I'm hoping I'll be able to get a makeup artist onto the project, but failing that I'll be doing it myself. I'm going to experiment with lightening their skin tone to make them more pale, exaggerating shadows in the face, and mottling with greens and blues to make them look more sickly. I don't want to go too over the top with it. All blood will have a motivated purpose, with likely only one injury per zombie and occasionally some on the mouth and hands.

I'm also going to use the videocopilot tutorial on eye removal to white out their eyes. This could take hours, but it'll be a great effect.

A huge part of it is the sound the zombies make. In the outdoor scenes the actors can make whatever noise they want, because I'll be creating every single sound for that after the fact. For the indoor scenes, I'll make the one visible zombie (sticking its hand into the small window) mouthing whatever noises its making and add it in afterwards. I'm not sure how I'll be making the zombie noises, but I'll be messing around with some noises my friend can make as well as maybe some animal snarling.

Anyone have any advice on my lighting question?

Last edited by HBlack : 01-21-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 PM #263
mitch likes pumps
inactive

I'm sorry I can't really help Black, I'm kind of learning the whole lighting currently myself, and don't really wanna give bad advise.

Just a general question about lighting: is the blueish colour some movies have (especially night scenes) caused by the lighting setup or is it done in post production?

I need to film a scene in a small chemistry lab, and I'm aiming for that look.
mitch likes pumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 AM #264
HBlack (Banned)

You use blue gels for that, also know as CTBs. They come in varying strengths. I find 1/2 makes a yellowish light close to daylight white/slightly bluish, and a full CTB is best for the full night effect.

EDIT: Correction, with the lights I'm using 1/2 makes it white, full makes it daylight blue, and more than that can be used for blue night of varying intensity.

Last edited by HBlack : 01-23-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 AM #265
OrbitalDeath127
whitewashed

OrbitalDeath127 is playing at Living Legends V
OrbitalDeath127 is an NCPA player
OrbitalDeath127 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlack View Post
Posted this on dvxuser, but figured I might get some advice here.

I need to light a basement.

Looking for advice on lighting schemes, as well as general tips to doing this. I've got three 1k redheads, have access to some 750watt fresnels if necessary (no stands for those), 3 1/2 CTBs and a CTO (none of which will probably be used, but I thought I should mention it). I was planning on putting the key wherever it looks best for the shot, and putting the fill close enough to achieve the desired amount of shadow.

One problem is diffusion. The lights are very bright, and I don't have the money for real diffusion, so I've been using pillow cases. They work well enough, but decrease the amount of light very significantly. Any ideas on diffusion that can either be found in a household or bought for nearly nothing, that I can layer to achieve the right brightness level? I want to pick up a few of those $10 dimmers, but again, 0 money at the moment.

Any tips on how you would go about lighting this with the tools I have available would be great. It's a horror, so I'm going for a high contrast look while still making it (at least somewhat) suit the practicals. For the majority of it, there is one person sitting to one side (to the right of the guy with a gun in the picture linked below), a dead guy sitting to his left, and one character who walks around. There are parts where both living characters are walking around.

Pictures of the basement.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=99f1h1&s=3
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mnm5at&s=3
Have you tried using tissue paper to diffuse light? I mean it works pretty nicely and you can get different colors. In addition, it's really cheap and you can layer it if you need to diffuse the light more.
OrbitalDeath127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 AM #266
HBlack (Banned)

I'm 98% sure that would light on fire. Regular paper burns in about 2 minutes with these lights.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 AM #267
takenyouth
hmm?

finally a thread for cinematography and videography. i've been away from pbn for a while and havn't really been checking. ive actually been to busy filming and editing my movie. i've mostly been posting on another forum for cinematography. but since theres finally a thread for this, i'm back! haha
Old 01-23-2008, 02:37 PM #268
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlack View Post
I'm 98% sure that would light on fire. Regular paper burns in about 2 minutes with these lights.
go to a place that embroiders clothes. The back that they use when the machines are stitching might work. Plus they come in 4 foot wide rolls, and you could layer. It is like a thick cotton/paper texture. Not sure if it would burn or not.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/78/4d/35af_2.JPG about $50/roll but you might be able to score some for free from a local shop.

Last edited by benji25 : 01-23-2008 at 02:42 PM.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM #269
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDeath127 View Post
Have you tried using tissue paper to diffuse light? I mean it works pretty nicely and you can get different colors. In addition, it's really cheap and you can layer it if you need to diffuse the light more.
Anything but gels will either melt or light on fire.

Gels are cheap, and extremely safe.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM #270
HBlack (Banned)

I wouldn't say cheap. They're $7 each, and If I want to layer them on 3 separate lights that adds up. Come to think of it that is cheap, but I'm completely broke financing this thing. I think I'll try to get some electric dimmers.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM #271
takenyouth
hmm?

Last week we shot some shots outside. Lucky for me it was 20 degrees and we ended up having to stay for about 6 hours. But here are some pics of the shoot. We were trying to make it look like a street light.

But now we have to do a scene where our main character is running at a full sprint. We were planning on doing this buy setting up a tripod in the back of a pickup and drive in front of him. The thing is this scene needs to be at night. and i was wondering if it would be better if i just shoot a "day for night," instead of setting up a generator, lights, camera, all in the back of a movie truck. Any ideas?\

Btw last week i just got a new editing program, but it happened to be during my exam week so i just editing something really fast. And also it looks really choppy because i had to compress the hell out of it. So just try and imagine its in HD haha.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HNC_4Nt_f0M
Btw the story probably doesn't make sense to you, but bassically he took her purse when she left it at school and brought it to school really early so she wouldn't notice, and when he does that he imagines her there, but she really isn't.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM #272
HBlack (Banned)

Composition was hit or miss. Most of the shots with the girl in it were pretty good, but I didn't like the handheld stuff. Handheld's good when it suits the mood, which it doesn't here. Sound of putting down the backpack should be replaced. Didn't like the black cuts. Fading quickly in and out of the black could be better, but I think much less obtrusive transitions would be best. Something like one transition to mark coming into and out of the imagination sequence.
Overall not bad though.

Last edited by HBlack : 01-23-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM #273
takenyouth
hmm?

thanks. i was just kinda messing around with some shots. thats not gonna be whats in our movie, because that wasn't exactly the movie edit. It was just shots i might use. But thanks for the criticism, ill keep it in mind :]

can anyone help with this though?

we have to do a scene where our main character is running at a full sprint. We were planning on doing this by setting up a tripod in the back of a pickup and drive in front of him. The thing is, this scene needs to be at night. and i was wondering if it would be better if i just shoot a "day for night," instead of setting up a generator, lights, camera, all in the back of a movie truck. Any ideas?\

Last edited by takenyouth : 01-23-2008 at 09:05 PM.
takenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote