Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM #211
HBlack (Banned)

I poured it on his arm and let it drip down freely. I don't have too much of a problem with the blood, it's the overall composition that I think might need a bit of work. Apart from the text at the bottom which I'll change up a bit though, I'm pretty happy with this.
HBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 PM #212
mitch likes pumps
inactive

This is being a bit picky, but the shadows from his hand / gun on the background are bugging me.
mitch likes pumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 AM #213
Minigoth1
I'm not goth...

has been a member for 10 years
I like it.

and I see what you mean about the blood thing. it's cause he moved his finger and moved the trail of blood around with his knuckle.

I dig it man. good job.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM #214
Cheap
Zesty

I think the composition is fine, but I'm still unsure about the blood. I understand how you did it and the look you're going for, but the problem is that there's just not enough blood on the hand. I just kind of thinly streeks down and pulls a hairpin turn towards your fingers. I think you either need more blood or a wider shot of the hand/gun to show more of the blood's path from your arm.

Secondly, the shadows are really harsh and look off. I think the problem is that there's really no shadows on the top of the hand, but the shadows on the fingers are very harsh. This could be corrected by not taking the pictures straight down on the hand; maybe have the hand hanging down holding the gun, which would allow for a more realistic blood flow and could allow for better shadows across the entire hand.

for the project though, it sounds really cool.
Cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 PM #215
Fatty
Super Pimp

Fatty is a Supporting Member
Fatty is a founding member

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr
Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM #216
Fatty
Super Pimp

I did this with my webcam and two desk lamps, so I bet you can do a lot better with that DSLR. Use a couple sources of light and move em around til you get some cool shadows.

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr

Last edited by Fatty : 01-06-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM #217
HBlack (Banned)

I used the flash of the camera as well as a 100watt lamp coming from above and to the side. Don't think I'll get to reshoot that though, it required borrowing a friend's camera and testing my dad's patience at how long we could play with the .45 for. That Beretta's not real is it?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM #218
Fatty
Super Pimp

Never use camera flash, man. Never ever ever. Its the worst lighting possible, unless you're trying to get the "snapshot" look... which is generally undesireable.

I was gonna say, that gun looks totally real and awesome. My beretta is airsoft

edit: what do you think of my edit?

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr

Last edited by Fatty : 01-06-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:44 PM #219
HBlack (Banned)

Yeah, can't wait until I'm 18 and I actually legally own that thing.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 PM #220
Minigoth1
I'm not goth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Never use camera flash, man. Never ever ever. Its the worst lighting possible, unless you're trying to get the "snapshot" look... which is generally undesireable.

I was gonna say, that gun looks totally real and awesome. My beretta is airsoft

edit: what do you think of my edit?
truth. a flash on a professional camera is about as useful as a light on a camcorder.

it really does throw off the balance of the lighting and adds a weird shadow outline sort of thing to it all.

you're initial attempt with the lamp would have been better if you put another lamp on there, or maybe even used the white backround as a bounce board and shot some light from under. then it could have been a bit over-exposed, but in photoshop you can dim it down. I think that'd be kind of a cool effect.

I sort of rambled, but I hope you know what I'm trying to say. as far as the blood goes. more, sure. and some on the backround too, maybe.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 PM #221
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minigoth1 View Post
truth. a flash on a professional camera is about as useful as a light on a camcorder.
gotta disagree with that
When used properly a flash can be very useful.

Let's play a game of "find the shadow in the picture being lit by a single on camera mounted speedlite."

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Last edited by Drex17 : 01-06-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM #222
Minigoth1
I'm not goth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
gotta disagree with that
When used properly a flash can be very useful.

Let's play a game of "find the shadow in the picture being lit by a single on camera mounted speedlite."

at the feet.

anyone see that commercial for "Americas best dance crew"? I think it's really cool.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM #223
HBlack (Banned)

Fatty, I like the general tonality of it, but the correction is too heavy for my tastes. It's kinda got that "heavily colour corrected" look that a lot of indy films have, but you never see in major movies. I might do something like that and make it a bit more blue in the final version, but not quite as much.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM #224
Minigoth1
I'm not goth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlack View Post
Fatty, I like the general tonality of it, but the correction is too heavy for my tastes. It's kinda got that "heavily colour corrected" look that a lot of indy films have, but you never see in major movies. I might do something like that and make it a bit more blue in the final version, but not quite as much.
it's really just a simple filter. and a lot of movies have that sort of filter or filter effect. from what it seems, it's just an easier way to keep control over the apeture(sp).
Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 PM #225
HBlack (Banned)

It's blue, but it's not excessively blue. Note that the blacks are still intact. Could you find a screenshot of a movie that changes the colour as drastically as that poster edit? (Excluding experimental films, dream sequences, or Natural Born Killers)
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 AM #226
Fatty
Super Pimp

The SAW series...

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr
Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 AM #227
matrixpballer

So im attempting to create my own do-it-yourself 35mm adapter for my videocamera. Any of you guys done this with success?

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 AM #228
killakid

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixpballer View Post
So im attempting to create my own do-it-yourself 35mm adapter for my videocamera. Any of you guys done this with success?
Take a milling shop class at college Drew....haha
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 AM #229
Minigoth1
I'm not goth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
The SAW series...
I lol'd.

when things change that drastically, and colors change, that just means the filter is still there, but the original lighting is different. sometimes it sucks how crucial lighting is. I was filming a pilot series once and it took us nearly 4 hours to set up a 30 second shot because of all the lighting, hiding wires, bounce boards.

in the end....it's worth it.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 AM #230
HBlack (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixpballer View Post
I was considering this, but I don't think it's worth it. What kind of camera do you have? This stuff can get expensive fast. You're going to have a hard time pulling focus on a moving person without a follow focus, and pulling focus properly on an HD camera without an HD monitor is extremely difficult. Those start at around $500 at the very least.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM #231
matrixpballer

I have a canon xl1s, its more of a "lets see if I can do it" project. Just for fun. I already have all the lenses I need, I only have to buy the ground glass and then figure out the engineering of it.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote