Community Focus

Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM #1
Nah 85
- muted -

Nah 85 supports Team VICIOUS
Quick question on Tripods

Barska deluxe tripod

Slik insta lok tripod 960 g-ql

I found these two tripods locally at good prices and no idea which one is the better brand, was hoping for input please?

If I'm not asking in the right place, let me know. The FAQ thread mentions camera only.

For a dslr canon camera btw

Last edited by Nah 85 : 12-15-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Nah 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 AM #2
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

has been a member for 10 years
Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Both are absolute vapor ware; they're junk. The natural progression of tripods is to buy something cheap as hell just to have one. Then the buyer will realize they bought junk and will step it up to the midrange. If the tripod is used with any kind of frequency they'll realize that even the mid range ($100-$250) is filled with compromises thus comes the jump to Gitzo and RRS. Now I know you're not going to jump from looking at $40 tripods to $1k tripods, but when doing your research online you're going to be hardpressed to find any recommendations other than RRS and Gitzo for the reasons listed above.

I'd strongly suggest to spend the money and get into the mid-range by looking into Manfrotto. All of their models are decent and you get good bang for buck. Making the jump into the mid-range right away will save you from wasting your money on junk that you'll hate within days. Many people buy Manfrotto and stick with it for years. Others who use a tripod more often or have more demanding use will jump to the high end. Bottom line, for getting your feet wet, you can't go wrong with any of Manfrotto's offerings.

Edit - I assumed since you're asking about such a cheap tripod that you're not putting a pro body or pro glass on it, BUT if you do have expensive gear. Do you really want $40 holding up $2k+ in gear? When you think about that, those $1k legs and $300 heads don't seem so ridiculous.
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'

Last edited by Rebeltilldeath3 : 12-15-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 AM #3
Nah 85
- muted -

Nah 85 supports Team VICIOUS
Thanks for the reply, good points as it's about protecting the gear. I looked at those brands and expensive, don't have expensive lens just a simple and casual user. Which is why I'm looking cheap as it's something that would rarely use but should the situation call for it.
Nah 85 is offline   Reply With Quote