ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ProMod is an NCPA player
ProMod supports DLX Technology
I'm giving 50 a try

Hey all!

I was just cruzin' around ANSgear this morning, and I saw that they've got a "super sale" going on; GI50s are going for $199! Anyway, that means that GI50 + kingman rapid loader + 4k case of Formula 13 = ~$300

I'll be putting up a couple of reviews shortly because I'm tired of all these factless .50 cal debates. I think it's a good concept but it's being aimed at the wrong market; more on that later.

**edit**

Punisherspb.com & ANSGear.com both now have the GI50 for $199

**Day 1**
Got my GI50 today and already modded it; (using an SP1 body to vertical-feed it. I made a feedneck insert out of plastic/lexan to keep the ball stack straight, as well as spacers to hold my kingman rapid loader in place) I was shooting Formula 13 (orange shell, pink fill)

First impressions; DAMN! This barrel is heavy as FK. Moving on, I fired a couple of test rounds to check the splatter size. It's definitely smaller than a .68 cal splat, but not too much smaller. When I was looking at the shell remains, they were flexable, almost paper-like, even though the paint was breaking on everything it touched! I've never seen shells this thin fire consistently without breaking in the barrel every other shot. That being said, I did have a few weird barrel bursts; I think the paint is bouncing around on the inside of the barrel and breaking as it hits the muzzle-break. The next shot cleared it out PERFECTLY so I don't think it's going to be an issue in the future. Regardless, DoubleA barrel time? speaking of double, I did have double and one or two triple-feeds. (but no breaks because of it!) I'm going to look into modding the detents to sit farther into the breech, because right now only the very tip (literally, 1mm) of the nub is touching the paintball. After I cleaned the barrel, the marker fired even more accurately; I don't think they cleaned the barrels very well before they left the factory. Regardless, I was putting paint out to 75 feet without any consistency issues.

Day 1 Impression: I'm actually pretty surprised. I really didn't think that the .50 cal was going to perform the way it did. I can't wait to see how it does on the field this sunday!

**Day 2**
So I started tinkering around with the detents and realized they stuck into the breech farther than I originally thought (still not a lot, but then again, it's relative to the size of the paintball; it's scaled down from .68) Anyway, I was getting double and triple feeds on day1 so put a paintball in the breech and noticed it rolled forward and backward like crazy...(flat faced bolt would help....I'm gonna see if I can machine one =D) I came to the conclusion that while the kingman rapid loader is indeed an excellent loader, it puts a little too much force on the ball-stack which was causing double feeding. I grabbed my Pinokio, and made a feedneck insert out of lexan and put it just below the bend-sensor (Eclipse 1-piece barrels and CP barrels come in clear tubes....if you cut them up you can very easily make an insert) BOOM! Problem solved! So just to make sure everything was working, I put my GI50 on 15BPS semi and then 15BPS NXL. In both cases, I fired a full pod of chilled F13 without a single break or double/triple feed. I am now a happy camper

**Day 3**
WOW

That's all I can say. I'm absolutely FLOORED at how well this paint and marker are shooting. Granted, I wasn't able to shoot as far, on our Hybrid field (speedball course with hard cover) I push to the 25, and then the 75, taking out 9/23 people playing on the other team. Every shot that landed on target broke (which its making me crazy; how the hell is this 50 cal breaking so consistently when my .68 is occasionally getting bounces?!?!?!). I filled my Pinokio up (regular nose, not the uber-long one) along with 1 pod. That was enough to WIPE THE FLOOR with the other team, playing both sides of the field. As for accuracy, I was using paint that has been sitting in my air conditioned room for a day or two (did not use the paint that I put in the fridge, or freezer, more on that later) I didn't have a single barrel break or chop the entire day; however I did have 2 balls roll past the detents and out my barrel at one point (pinokio was applying a little too much force I think?)

As for speedball today, I played 3 games with the .50 cal. First game, I got 3 confirmed (9v9), with only one problem of someone "not feeling" the hits (he took a few pack hits, the hit on the head woke him up xD). For the other two games, I got 1 and then 2 kills (3v3s). Hits were very easy to see from across the field, pink fill works well. Additionally, people had no trouble feeling the shots this time. Clothing shots resulted in all breaks (cross field shots from S2 to DCorner; S2 is about at the 30, with DC being at the 95) and hopper hits splattered nicely .... Brandon would know

Overall I've quite impressed with .50 cal. It definitely shoots a solid 20-30 feet short of .68, but I usually get closer to people before I start wailing on them anyway; Max range doesn't apply to me xD.

If you guys have any questions, PLEASE ASK ME!

**Day 4**

Really slow day at the field because it rained in the early morning. Humidity/heat were a killer combo, and we only had about 40 people the entire day (we've had weekends of 180+ people o_0 ) Considering that the humidity was so high, I was a little surprised that I only had a couple of bounces throughout the day. I was shooting GI's 2star and GI's 3star. (2star was purple with white fill, 3star was green with orange fill) The 3star bounced a couple of times, probably because I was using it later in the day and it heated up a little bit. However I didn't have a single bounce with the 2star; again, probably because it was kept a little on the cold side and it was used immediately.

Keep in mind, this same effect happens to .68 cal also. If anything, I would say that .68 is just as bad as .50 cal when it comes to swelling and bouncing in the heat.

Craig, one of the refs at out field volunteered to be shot with both .50 and .68 cal to check splatter size, pain level, and mostly for sh!ts and giggles. (Videos will be posted soon)
Originally posted by msonic- Think of Simon as Paintball's Tony Stark. For real.
"...Looks Like A...." earns you an instant NEWBIE tag. Don't be a newbie.

Last edited by ProMod : 08-08-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Edited to add each day
ProMod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM #2
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
go for it any new 50 cal info is good for the public
Vanquish 1.5, Ice cuba luxe, Protégé, Cleanest 05 ego on PBN all FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post82434857
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM #3
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
My thoughts exactly. I shot 50 cal briefly before but that was with some else's setup. (one of the local guys at my field had a nano so I got a locklid's worth of 50 to play with) I don't remember going home and looking into 50 cal setups, but I do remember thinking about the pros and cons.

I'll update my first post with my review and info (and possibly links to videos) as I make them.

I have a couple of initial thoughts (remember, initial means before any testing is done; these are my preconceived notions)
50 cal might be good for:
~ Rental Setups (Just ask the guys over at NVP Paintball in Rochester)
~ Small Fields, Indoor Fields, CQB Fields
~ Hybrid Fields (speedball-like setup, but with hard, randomly scattered cover)
~ Holding it Down (HK Style)
~ Woodsball (More specifically, smaller fields with a lot of brush that 68 normally breaks on)
~ Economy players (I normally play with .68; I spent about $300 and now I have a decent .50 setup (new marker, hopper, and 4k shots.....tanks are universal, no need to get another one) Cases start at $25 for 2k shots!!!

50 cal might not be good for:
~ Tournaments (this is assuming that the splatter marks are indeed exponentially smaller than .68 cal splats; I'll test this sooner than later and get a couple of local reffs to judge hits and wipes)
~ Long Ballin' (I was an AP physics student last year; I'm going to do a few theoretical calculations once I get my paint to figure out trajectories and then compare them to what the actual trajectories end up being)
~ People who think .50 cal is out to rule the world (Really guys? )
Originally posted by msonic- Think of Simon as Paintball's Tony Stark. For real.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM #4
ArchAngelIon
VSBGODB

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Hmm... closeout prices on 50 cal gear? Maybe this means the format will be abandoned and you will be stuck with a paper weight.

Looking for Classic video games, will trade dollars: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post82009777
ArchAngelIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM #5
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
nah honestly i think you will be able to buy 50 cal paint for awhile mabe not the nano tho. I have stayed away from buying a 50 cal gun specific but i figure worst case scinario i could just sell the 07 im shooting 50 cal out of and my losses would be nothing
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 PM #6
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelIon View Post
Hmm... closeout prices on 50 cal gear? Maybe this means the format will be abandoned and you will be stuck with a paper weight.
Not really a closeout, just a sale. Just like all of last years DMs and NTs. Would you say that Dye is going out of business as well because their markers are on sale? no? So basically you're a caliber nazi. Not to mention, 50 cal paint has been around for decades. It's not going to stop being made just because GI Sportz/GI MilSim dies, it's just going to be harder to find (IE I'll have to goto sports authority instead of the paintball shop); they had 50 and 43 cal paintballs in stock before I even started playing paintball....and they still get new shipments of them in!

Last edited by ProMod : 07-22-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM #7
Trixer00

Honestly, I think 50 cal should be the way to go... now do I currently own a 50 cal marker.. naa.. just because I already have one marker and I dont need another...

But, given the benefits of 50 cal why is everyone wall whiny about it?

If they had an axe conversion kit I would totally be shooting .50 cal..

I think more paint for less money is the way to go.. I mean people are complaining that paintball is expensive and blah blah blah... then when something new comes out that might lower the cost even a nudgen people are like NOOOOO GO AWAY!

I will never trade for, answer questions, or do I want anything to do with a marker that looks like a real weapon, they are a plague on the paintball community.

We are a sport and we must represent our selves that way, or immature and irresponsible people will ruin us!

The only thing a paintball player fights for is respect. Respect for the game, respect as a player, and respect as a team. We are not soldiers, warriors, or fighters. We are survivors!
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
Trixer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM #8
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixer00 View Post
...But, given the benefits of 50 cal why is everyone wall whiny about it? ...
While there are a bunch of benefits from using 50 cal, there are also a handful of downsides;

~ Marker compatibility (If you don't own an EGO, you're going to be buying ($$$) a new marker to shoot 50)

~ Distance (20 ft can make a difference)

~ Mark Size (smaller splats mean more work and player monitoring for referees)

~ Energy Carried/breaks to bounces ratio (.68 we've gotten down to a science; it breaks 99.999% of the time.....50 cal needs to do a little catching up to minimize bounces)

~ Industry backing (Currently only Kingman, GI MilSim/Sportz, and Planet eclipse have modern markers that can fire .50 cal ... at least that I know of.....If Dye, Macdev, and Bob Long all made 50 cal markers, I think there might be a significant shift in opinion.)

Last edited by ProMod : 07-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 PM #9
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Added Day1 Impressions
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 PM #10
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
what kind of paintball are you going to be playing with it. Xball, NPPL, woods or what
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM #11
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayteam120 View Post
what kind of paintball are you going to be playing with it. Xball, NPPL, woods or what
Hybrid (Speedball-layout with hard cover like trees/tires/spools/refrigerators/forklift/etc.) and possibly 3v3 or 5v5 airball if I can find a few pps who actually know what they're doing
Old 07-28-2011, 12:29 AM #12
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

dynamomark owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
dynamomark supports our troops
i recently grabbed 2 50 cal markers (1 Spyder Advancer, 1 Gi Micro50), 2 kingman loaders, 6000 paintballs.
its really fun and way less kick then their .68 cal counterparts. a full loader and 2 pods adds up to about 1000 balls of ammo to let loose.

still 50 cal just doesnt fly as far or as long as the 68 cal. that is just the way it is. i even let a member of team infamous go a few rounds with it and he liked it for playing around but not competition at all. He and I noticed that at long ranges you really have to lob the balls and they didnt always break and when they did break many players didnt really feel the hit. new players would pick up the hit but more experienced players are so use to getting hit by the .68 cal balls just dont recognize the .50 cal hit most of the time or they just think its a bounce. I used the kingman classic and supreme and the booth worked really well and even better when chilled. super thin shell on both and i have shot about 3000 round with less then 5 breaks total. the thing I liked the most is the loader holds so much paint (around 350 balls) you really have to resist the urge to reload at times because it still packed with balls when you think you gona run dry. its so nice to play a long game and only reload once or twice.
if you play rec ball i would really recommend .50 cal
the mech Spyder Opus is under $70
electro Spyder Advancer is under $120
GI FM50 is $200ish and it can be mag fed or loader fed
GI has other markers but they are a pretty penny for rec-ball setup

so to sum it up .50 cal great for low cost rec ball but not tournament level where .68 cal is standard like here in the states.

][nvert Mini / Infinity Legend / ICD B2K4 w/ pds / Tippmann A5 / 2011 Mokal Aura / Spyder Advancer / GI Micro50 / Spyder Imagine / WGP Outkast Pump / WGP Prostock / DP E1 / Azodin Kaos
dynamomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 AM #13
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
I'm really not worried about the range of .50 cal; the fields I normally play on are a little too long for 1-balling with .68 cal, let alone .50 ... I like to get a little bit closer before I get trigger happy anyway

Good stuff though; I'm thinking that when this is all done I'm going to sell the GI50 and pick up a Micro50 for long term use. I predict that laning with .50 cal is going to get me trigger happy (Good thing I'm only using a single trigger right now; NXL time it is).
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 PM #14
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Day 2 added
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM #15
Demondestroyer
Master Tech

Annual Supporting Member
Demondestroyer is playing at Living Legends VII
Demondestroyer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Demondestroyer supports Team VICIOUS
Demondestroyer plays in the APPA D5 division
just figured i would throw this tidbit out there, bob long did make .50 cal markers for his whole woodsball team for the first UWL event, but they all switched to their .68 cuz the ref's were not calling the hits and players wouldn't leave, i know i personally would love a BL conversion kit and he does have alot of faith and belief in .50 cal

World Ballas Vice President
VICIOUS OT
"Let's play a game of go **** yourself, you first..."
Demondestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM #16
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demondestroyer View Post
just figured i would throw this tidbit out there, bob long did make .50 cal markers for his whole woodsball team for the first UWL event, but they all switched to their .68 cuz the ref's were not calling the hits and players wouldn't leave, i know i personally would love a BL conversion kit and he does have alot of faith and belief in .50 cal
Very true! I called the store line and talked to matt if I recall correctly. He politely told me that there were no plans to make .50 cal victory conversions unless there was more industry support. Which makes perfect sense; why invest in something unless you're reasonably sure it's going somewhere?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:40 AM #17
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

in any case pick a .50 cal marker up, its fun as hell

][nvert Mini / Infinity Legend / ICD B2K4 w/ pds / Tippmann A5 / 2011 Mokal Aura / Spyder Advancer / GI Micro50 / Spyder Imagine / WGP Outkast Pump / WGP Prostock / DP E1 / Azodin Kaos
Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 AM #18
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark View Post
in any case pick a .50 cal marker up, its fun as hell
way ahead of you; I've got a GI50 with a vert. feed SP1 body; Pinokio is taking care of loader duties, and a SLP 68/45.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM #19
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Posted Day 3 results. I'm going to try to get some good videos for next weekend
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM #20
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMod View Post
way ahead of you; I've got a GI50 with a vert. feed SP1 body; Pinokio is taking care of loader duties, and a SLP 68/45.
i took out my micro 50 today and shot some for tuning purposes but i didnt play. sill the smoothest gun I have yet to shoot. i get crazy looks from the advance players so I let them trow a few out and they all seem quite amazed how it shoots.

I do like the tactical look of the gi50 over the micro, I just cant wait to get a full day off work so I can wow face with my .50 cals

Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM #21
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark View Post
i took out my micro 50 today and shot some for tuning purposes but i didnt play. sill the smoothest gun I have yet to shoot. i get crazy looks from the advance players so I let them try a few out and they all seem quite amazed how it shoots.

I do like the tactical look of the gi50 over the micro, I just cant wait to get a full day off work so I can wow face with my .50 cals
ahh! If I could have dropped more for the micro or the nano, I would have....kinda tight money-wise right now. I think I'm gonna be shooting .50 cal more often though, cause today (Day3) was just.plain.amazing. I dunno what it was, but I felt that I got a hell of a lot more kills through small nooks and crannies than my normal bunker-everyone-on-snakeside-while-shooting-crossside method.

Bold statement is totally true btw, I had a bunch of people ask to shoot a couple of round out of it and they all seemed a little taken-back by how well it shot. That's not to say it's perfect by any means, it's just a little different. Some like it, some hate it