Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM #1
mp783smm

New paintballer needs advice!!!

well im a new paintballer and im trying to find hoppers and pod packs and other items that can get me started i dont need a marker pants or mask.... any ideas would be appreciated
mp783smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM #2
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
look here on pbn, but only buy from people with 50+ feedback that you know are legit. Or buy from like ans or someone like that. as far as hoppers idk what kind of play you will be doing but here is the break down of hoppers IMO

Great:
ROTOR
Prophecy
Pinokio

Good:
VLOCITY

OK:
invert 2
halo
ect

Packs, you cant go wrong wih any of these my faves are

1. NXE
2. Valken
3. EMPIRE
2 Cyborg 6s, Vanquish 1.5, Ego11, Protégé FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post84973761
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM #3
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
lul @ pinokio being good.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM #4
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayteam120 View Post
look here on pbn, but only buy from people with 50+ feedback that you know are legit. Or buy from like ans or someone like that. as far as hoppers idk what kind of play you will be doing but here is the break down of hoppers IMO

Great:
ROTOR
Prophecy
Pinokio

Good:
VLOCITY

OK:
invert 2 I don't know what your talking about, I use this hopper and would choose this over a roter, only because I have never had it jam on me once, the battery life on 4 AA's is amazing, and it feeds at around 33 bps. The only pain in my butt is taking it apart, the roter has it beat there. I would put this in between good and great.
halo
ect

Packs, you cant go wrong wih any of these my faves are

1. NXE
2. Valken
3. EMPIRE
My response in red.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 PM #5
Armoredcorpse1
Give in to your hate!

Armoredcorpse1 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Gotta agree with paintballoliver on the invert 2. Its a great hopper that can more than handel any marker. I would call it great because it cost less than half of what you would get a rotor for.
Armoredcorpse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 PM #6
paintballoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredcorpse1 View Post
Gotta agree with paintballoliver on the invert 2. Its a great hopper that can more than handel any marker. I would call it great because it cost less than half of what you would get a rotor for.
So true! It was my first electric hopper, and probably my last until it breaks on me, then I might buy another. No way I would pay $200 for a roter that is a joke!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 PM #7
shpak10

shpak10 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shpak10 supports Sherwood Forest
just buy a rotor you wont regret it. ive owned a halo and its just ok at best than the prohecy didnt really impress me kinda overhyped. i use nxe pod packs i like them but its all ive used so i wouldnt know about the other brands.
shpak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 PM #8
shpak10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver View Post
So true! It was my first electric hopper, and probably my last until it breaks on me, then I might buy another. No way I would pay $200 for a roter that is a joke!
and thats why you buy rotors used ive seen rotors for sale on here for 60 but get bought quick than you can buy them all day around 90 used.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 PM #9
LotusElise

LotusElise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If you're looking to buy new on the cheap, I would recommend the Invert Halo TOO, a Valken or NXE pod pack, and a Ninja 68/4500 tank. In addition to that make sure you have the necessary maintenance items like all the allen keys for your marker, lube, microfiber cloths (found in the automotive section at Wal-Mart or even the Grocery store), and almost any bag will do as a gear bag. I also strongly recommend getting cleats. Baseball/Soccer are good all around cleats, but if you want to trade flexibility for more ankle support football cleats are a good option as well.
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM #10
Armoredcorpse1
Give in to your hate!

Armoredcorpse1 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpak10 View Post
and thats why you buy rotors used ive seen rotors for sale on here for 60 but get bought quick than you can buy them all day around 90 used.
Its true that you can buy a used rotor as low as $60, but then again i've seen the invert too go for as low as $15 used. It all depends on how much your willing to spend. If you can shell out the cash for a rotor or prophecy do it because they are better. But for those of us on a budget, the invert too is more than enough.
Armoredcorpse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM #11
shpak10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredcorpse1 View Post
Its true that you can buy a used rotor as low as $60, but then again i've seen the invert too go for as low as $15 used. It all depends on how much your willing to spend. If you can shell out the cash for a rotor or prophecy do it because they are better. But for those of us on a budget, the invert too is more than enough.
not saying the invert is a bad hopper but if you wanna put up more money get a rotor if not get a invert for a cheaper price. wouldnt recommend prophecy wasnt to happy with mine.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM #12
fatboyslimmy
The Verminator

fatboyslimmy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
wouldnt anyone like to have a defect-free hopper? Based on my experience id say buy the rotor by the best one out there.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3598551
fatboyslimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 PM #13
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp783smm View Post
well im a new paintballer and im trying to find hoppers and pod packs and other items that can get me started i dont need a marker pants or mask.... any ideas would be appreciated
Look at the orange link in my signature.

Since you're a beginner, that probably means you're under 20, and on a budget.

For starters, why the hell do you even NEED to spend anywhere NEAR $100 for a hopper yet? you aren't trying to shoot fast, you're not in a tournament, and you probably will have a tough time affording the rest of your gear if you buy a Prophecy or whatever. VLocities and eVLutions have an atrocious battery life and are bulky.

For a hopper, a JT ReVLution, or "Revvy" is a phenomenal option. No, it doesn't feed 100000 bps, but you don't need that. It can feed a consistent 13bps, quietly, while only needing 2 9volt batteries every 8 or 9 months. It's ridiculously durable, as most of us know. It's a simple electronic hopper that will run forever. Period. Cleanup is stupid simple, loading is very easy, it's low profile, and super light.

Best part is, it only costs about $25.

Lets worry about masks first as that's by far the MOST vital part of your equipment to have in good shape. Stick to buying used or new on this. I would avoid these brands (because of various reasons): Dye i4, Proto Axis, Vforce Vantage, ANYTHING Extreme Rage, Tippmann, Invert, the Cheap SLY masks... stuff like that. The most popular masks I know of are the Vforce Profilers/Grills (if you don't live somewhere which drops below 50*) and the Jt Proflex. The Proflexes are by far my favorite with Empire Events as a close second. They are light, super breathable, have a wide range of view, durable lenses, and provide a high amount of protection. They are also the most comfortable, so you don't have to constantly mess with adjusting the mask. It stays in place and does its job well.

If you pick up a VForce or JT mask (never get the QLS), make sure to get a second strap for it, just for comfort and safety's sake, and if you're young. Your head may be small (no offense) and it'll cause the mask to bob around and whatnot.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM #14
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayteam120 View Post
Top:
ROTOR
Prophecy

Great:
VLocity
Empire Magna
Empire B
Halo B
Invert 2

Decent enough:
Revvy

Lol:
pinokio
gravity fed
50round hopper
egg
quantum

Packs, you cant go wrong with any of these Irish's favorites are.

1. NXe (CP and Eclipse are also made by NXe fyi, same damn pack, dif design)
2. Dye/Proto
3. Extreme Rage [the older version]
4. Empire
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Lets worry about masks first as that's by far the MOST vital part of your equipment to have in good shape. Stick to buying used or new on this. I would avoid these brands (because of various reasons): Dye i4, Proto Axis, Vforce Vantage, ANYTHING Extreme Rage, Tippmann, Invert, the Cheap SLY masks... stuff like that.

If you pick up a VForce or JT mask (never get the QLS), make sure to get a second strap for it, just for comfort and safety's sake, and if you're young. Your head may be small (no offense) and it'll cause the mask to bob around and whatnot.
Why would you avoid dye i4s or a proto axis? Everything else I can understand...
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 PM #15
paintballoliver

I used a rotor for about 3 months or so, needless to say I switched back to the Invert 2 no problem.
I love the sleek look of the rotor compared to the Invert.
However, for me, the Invert didn't jam nearly as much.
Sure with the rotor it would be about 1 time every 2 cases, but that is alot more than 0 times out of 40 cases!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 PM #16
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
You're welcome.

Why would you avoid dye i4s or a proto axis? Everything else I can understand...
i4s are expensive and have little protection. It's a great mask, just not exactly helpful for beginners to get shot in the side of the face.

Pain is only helpful when you're experienced enough to handle it.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM #17
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
i4s are expensive and have little protection. It's a great mask, just not exactly helpful for beginners to get shot in the side of the face.

Pain is only helpful when you're experienced enough to handle it.
ehh yeah more or less. Both proto Axis' are good imo.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 AM #18
manwee
Explosive Kittens

manwee supports Team VICIOUS
^^ it depends on the player. If hes small then he should be looking at something like the I4s and such. They only offer little protection to bigger faces

"Are they my balls all over your face?"
Karma Police 12 - "OMG IT has the worlds first ever SLPR (super-low pressure lpr) cause its gonna run at negative psi. worlds first ever anti-matter marker."
SquareDorito,"I shoot and it's going right at them, then the wind comes in and is like LOL JK!!"
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face......."
lucasicool is my best friend. I call him Rocky
manwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 AM #19
shpak10

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwee View Post
^^ it depends on the player. If hes small then he should be looking at something like the I4s and such. They only offer little protection to bigger faces
i would prefer overall good protection. i got shot in the ear while wearing my events and holy **** that hurt and i could only imagine what would happen if i had i4s.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 AM #20
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwee View Post
not exactly true, I have a fairly small face, still... like I look like a 12 year old when I wear Grills small. The i4 still doesn't cover some of my face, my temple, my ears (a bit) and the rear of my jaw. All of which kinda, actually, REALLY suck getting hit at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpak10 View Post
i would prefer overall good protection. i got shot in the ear while wearing my events and holy **** that hurt and i could only imagine what would happen if i had i4s.
It sucks. really bad. really, really bad.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM #21
KeithF

KeithF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I wear I4s as a 6'2 200 lb guy and they cover my face fine.
KeithF is offline   Reply With Quote