Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM #22
Naut
T M G

Naut plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbster View Post
I have owned ions and other range of markers...they are great and easy to fix..I believe its the people who do not know how to take care of their own markers that hate Ions.

Tell ur friend to get one as a starter and enjoy.
^ this
- Virsix|Apparel - PM me to get a Kwiky rotor speedfeed!
***RaT-PacK***
Naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM #23
KeithF

KeithF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The problem with ions is they were a gun that ended up being more cp or other after market parts than actual smart parts. It was a 400 dollar gun that required an additional 150 to just shoot and feel okay
KeithF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM #24
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Rancid1845 is playing at Living Legends VI
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D5 division
Rancid1845 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithF View Post
The problem with ions is they were a gun that ended up being more cp or other after market parts than actual smart parts. It was a 400 dollar gun that required an additional 150 to just shoot and feel okay
^^This^^ Plus the general hatred towards SP in general.

With that said I played on a College SP Sponsored team in 2005 and there was one member of our team that shot a upgraded yellow ion and it shot great. He took lots of flack from everyone on the team since we all shot Shockers but it got the job done.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
If it Shoots its "the ****"
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM #25
BravoSquadPB
Bravo Squad Paintball

BravoSquadPB owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BravoSquadPB posts videos on PbNation
BravoSquadPB supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeUsedToBE View Post
get sponsored by ansgear (they will sponsor ANYONE) and a brand new g4 is $250... please dont tell ansgear i told you that
you need to have tournament experience. i didnt add that, and yea.
Ninja Paintball The World's Best Air Systems!
Paintball Sports Inc. NY First and Longest Consecutive Running Paintball Field!
Bomber Paintball, the #1 retailer of Paintball goods!
BravoSquadPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM #26
Trixer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
They're terrible markers stock.

Their feedneck wont fit most loaders, rendering the marker useless.
To maintain or clean the marker, you have to take the entire thing apart (take barrel off, unscrew all 3 frame screws, unhook eye harness, unscrew two banjos, slide out body, unscrew firing can, and you're finally at the bolt)
The ergonomics are terrible. The trigger is terrible, the ASA puts the tank at an odd place, even the button is very difficult to press
They use a regulator that requires non-standard tools to adjust. Yes I know it's just a wrench, but no one I know carries the wrench required to adjust an Ion regulator, and I know an awful lot of paintball players.
The board is terrible, even for recplay. In addition to the lack of modes, it also doesn't have key features like first shot drop off protection or debounce. Combine that with the terrible maintenance and you end up with a headache at the field when you break that first ball.

Overall they're extremely terrible markers. Oh, and I actually own two Ions myself that I use. The thing is, they have zero stock parts. Everything on that list can be changed with aftermarket accessories, but unless your a tinkerer, it's not worth the time. Never buy a stock Ion. Also never buy a half-upgraded Ion. Everything has be changed on it before it becomes actually decent.

Wait you mean a marker made almost 10 years ago does not have features of markers only made in the last couple of years? WOW....

Dude for 100 bucks he will not find a better marker, point blank and simple ions are the most bang for the very low buck! Tell your friend to get one and call it good.. feed necks are cheap and easy to fix.. a new reg is nothing... and there are tons of tutorials for relocating the power switch....

Do not let the ion pass you up if its a good deal, yeah they are a ***** to keep clean but taking apart your marker (and the ion is very easy compared) is something you should do with an ion so you know better with other markers!

I will never trade for, answer questions, or do I want anything to do with a marker that looks like a real weapon, they are a plague on the paintball community.

We are a sport and we must represent our selves that way, or immature and irresponsible people will ruin us!

The only thing a paintball player fights for is respect. Respect for the game, respect as a player, and respect as a team. We are not soldiers, warriors, or fighters. We are survivors!
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
Trixer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM #27
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:

To maintain or clean the marker, you have to take the entire thing apart (take barrel off, unscrew all 3 frame screws, unhook eye harness, unscrew two banjos, slide out body, unscrew firing can, and you're finally at the bolt)
The ergonomics are terrible. The trigger is terrible, the ASA puts the tank at an odd place, even the button is very difficult to press
They use a regulator that requires non-standard tools to adjust. Yes I know it's just a wrench, but no one I know carries the wrench required to adjust an Ion regulator, and I know an awful lot of paintball players.
The board is terrible, even for recplay. In addition to the lack of modes, it also doesn't have key features like first shot drop off protection or debounce. Combine that with the terrible maintenance and you end up with a headache at the field when you break that first ball.

Overall they're extremely terrible markers. Oh, and I actually own two Ions myself that I use. The thing is, they have zero stock parts. Everything on that list can be changed with aftermarket accessories, but unless your a tinkerer, it's not worth the time. Never buy a stock Ion. Also never buy a half-upgraded Ion. Everything has be changed on it before it becomes actually decent.
This guy makes some good points, but you don't need a FULLY upgraded ion. The stock board isn't that bad and will work great for recball.
the stock bolt is fine and lower maintenance than the l7 and hollow point.
the regulator is incredible. SUPER low maintenance, fast recharge, and ultra consistent. Yes it requires a wrench to adjust, but SP was nice enough to include one.

As for ergonomics, It is a very comfortable marker. Great reg to grip spacing, and no sharp/hard edges to hit when switching hands.

Things to change are the feedneck, asa, and add a QEV. QEVs are the single biggest performance upgrade for the ion. You can drop the dwell from 48 beeps to around 15, making the marker much smoother, quieter, and more efficient. The trigger is preference, but not a bad idea. Most places offer these upgrades for CHEAP because every company flooded the market with upgrades and then the SP went out.

You can easily find an ion with most, if not all those upgrades for around 100. new triggers, feednecks, and asa can be had for about $10 each. That is a great marker for the price.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM #28
Nuked
Evol Genius

Nuked is playing at Living Legends V
Nuked posts videos on PbNation
Nuked supports Pev's Paintball
Nuked has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Nuked is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Yeah... Stock Feedneck is garbage. I think I threw mine in the trash immediately after purchase.

Quote:
This is only true with the original Ion. If anyone was lucky enough to grab an Ion XE prior to SP taking a dump, then cleaning was Stupidly easier. Bolt Out Back, breech and bolt cleaned and lubed within 10 minutes.

Quote:
That's preference... The trigger was... ok. Ergonomics lacked, but for me it felt good. As for the ASA... that was the second thing to go after the feedneck.

Quote:
While true... once you get it set to 280-300 (or whatever you find works best..) leave it alone. carry an adjustable wrench in your bag. No different than carrying 32 allen keys "just in case".

Quote:
I actually found that the modes on the board were fine for rec play - but that lack of first shot drop off and debounce was a deal breaker... The unfortunate painful thing about the board was that it didn't have tournament modes, just other firing modes for rec play. God forbid we want to program it to lock at 12.5 or 15.4... setting the dwell and rof was the only way.
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM #29
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Annual Supporting Member
Rancid1845 is playing at Living Legends VI
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D5 division
Rancid1845 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSquadPB View Post
you need to have tournament experience. i didnt add that, and yea.

$50 off of a gun is not a great sponsorship deal. When I was sponsored by Warped SportZ we got Dark LCD's for $850.00 (1600 retail) and Dark Cockers for $350.00 (650.00 retail I think) With the Smart Parts sponsorship I paid $700.00 for my team shocker, choice of maxflow tank, and jersey and pants. The only things they did not give us in that deal were masks and hoppers.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
If it Shoots its "the ****"
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM #30
Maximum
Xfactor paintball park

Maximum owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Maximum supports Pev's Paintball
Maximum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Maximum has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The only thing I hate about the ion is the way its built:
Cheap because it's smart parts
The solenoid is built into the board
Maximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM #31
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

Ions are exactly what they were ment to be. In 2005 ions "At the time of its release, the Ion was the first fully electropneumatic marker to target entry-level players, at a price point previously inhabited only by Spyders and other mechanical blowbacks. The Ion has generally been credited with making high-rate-of-fire electropneumatic markers available to the masses, at a time when electropneumatic markers were considered out of reach of most casual or budget players." When they were released by Smart Parts in 2005 they were praised on all levels of the playing field. i knew pros that would keep 3 or 4 of them in the gear bag bec when his shocker would go down he would grab a ion. So my point is ions were only disliked when companies started infringing on Spart Parts pattents. Companies like icd ( indian creek Designs ) infringed on smart parts properity and smart parts gave them the options to pay a value of every gun made. this shuting down icd and other as well i think.
for anyone who think this is a silly lawsuit. how would you feel if a prouduct you invented and pattened. was then being used by me and you weren't getting any profit expecially when your companie was slowly loseing money due to over sponsorships and paintball media.

So what it comes down to is Smart parts made a great gun for the money. Very comperable to how tippman works. Both companies put out a ton of upgrades if you wanted them. both markers shot fine out of the box. but people dont like them because there misinformed on silly lawsuit mumbo jumbo.
( whats funny to me is the people you see slaming Smart Parts but there on the field shooting a luxe. )

Just my .02 - Tom
Please excuse any typos im on my Ipad at lunch break.

Tpa Paintball, Where the best players in Ohio play.

1 of Alot Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R
ImpulseFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM #32
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseFreek View Post
Ions are exactly what they were ment to be. In 2005 ions "At the time of its release, the Ion was the first fully electropneumatic marker to target entry-level players, at a price point previously inhabited only by Spyders and other mechanical blowbacks. The Ion has generally been credited with making high-rate-of-fire electropneumatic markers available to the masses, at a time when electropneumatic markers were considered out of reach of most casual or budget players." When they were released by Smart Parts in 2005 they were praised on all levels of the playing field. i knew pros that would keep 3 or 4 of them in the gear bag bec when his shocker would go down he would grab a ion. So my point is ions were only disliked when companies started infringing on Spart Parts pattents. Companies like icd ( indian creek Designs ) infringed on smart parts properity and smart parts gave them the options to pay a value of every gun made. this shuting down icd and other as well i think.
for anyone who think this is a silly lawsuit. how would you feel if a prouduct you invented and pattened. was then being used by me and you weren't getting any profit expecially when your companie was slowly loseing money due to over sponsorships and paintball media.

So what it comes down to is Smart parts made a great gun for the money. Very comperable to how tippman works. Both companies put out a ton of upgrades if you wanted them. both markers shot fine out of the box. but people dont like them because there misinformed on silly lawsuit mumbo jumbo.
( whats funny to me is the people you see slaming Smart Parts but there on the field shooting a luxe. )

Just my .02 - Tom
Please excuse any typos im on my Ipad at lunch break.

Bingo. at the time, you could not buy another marker with electropneumatic operation, eyes, and an adjustable regulator for less than $800.

there were no pmr's, no G3's, no etek's, no protege's, and azodin wasnt around so you were stuck with a spyder or tippman.

the ion started the whole low/medium range market. a lot of the reason people dont like them is simply because lots of people who bought them since they were affordable, werent old enough to responisbly maintain them and they were always breaking down. im not saying the maintenance is hard, i had one, it was a great little gun. it just took a bit longer to take apart and put back together. yea, they could have designed it to be easier to take apart, but that means added time and features during production, which makes it cost more.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM #33
ToBeUsedToBE
Terrence Morton

ToBeUsedToBE is for the Gunfight
ToBeUsedToBE plays in the APPA beginner division
ToBeUsedToBE has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
Bingo. at the time, you could not buy another marker with electropneumatic operation, eyes, and an adjustable regulator for less than $800.

there were no pmr's, no G3's, no etek's, no protege's, and azodin wasnt around so you were stuck with a spyder or tippman.
but, now there is guns like pmrs and g3s. slgs etc. so buying an ion does not always make the best of sense today, unless the price relatively low.
for the people who are still alive
ToBeUsedToBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:59 PM #34
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

tell me where you can find a marker as good as that for that cost ($75).

1 of Alot Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R

Last edited by eforcegtid00d : 07-21-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: please do not sell gear in the new players forum. - eforce
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM #35
Rique98
Gun Whore in Training

Rique98 plays in the PSP
Rique98 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Rique98 posts videos on PbNation
Rique98 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
The main reason is smart parts, sued other companies causing LOTS of hate on the name and the ion is considered to be noobish, which it is!

Rique98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM #36
IceColdCricket
Silent But Deadly

IceColdCricket is an NCPA player
SP was an innovator in the paintball industry.

The ION is not unlike any other marker that was ever built. No matter what marker you buy, whether that be a matrix, shocker, ego, or <insert random thing here> it will have its own specific quirks.

Can you get a higher performance marker for more money? Yes.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM #37
Bigfatts

To say that a certain gun is "noobish" is- well, never mind. 3 of the guys I play with regularly play with Ions, from mildly upped to full on custom. I only sold mine recently and I miss it. The only stock part in it was the board. It shot ridiculously well. As smooth as my Techt'd Spec R and crazy accurate. Efficient too. For $200 or a little more these days you can build an Ion that will perform with just about anything out there. Parts that used to cost $150 or so can now be had for maybe $30. It may be old but the Ion is still a solid gun.

I need to buy some stuff:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3716800
Marqs to fund a Vic or MacDev:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post73530832
Bigfatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:08 PM #38
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

Quote:
To say that a certain gun is "noobish" is- well, never mind. 3 of the guys I play with regularly play with Ions, from mildly upped to full on custom. I only sold mine recently and I miss it. The only stock part in it was the board. It shot ridiculously well. As smooth as my Techt'd Spec R and crazy accurate. Efficient too. For $200 or a little more these days you can build an Ion that will perform with just about anything out there. Parts that used to cost $150 or so can now be had for maybe $30. It may be old but the Ion is still a solid gun.
PREACH!

1 of Alot Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM #39
jach707

I am biased, I would rather go with a Trilogy over an Ion.
jach707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM #40
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jach707 View Post
I am biased, I would rather go with a Trilogy over an Ion.
I would rather have a trilogy with an ion.

oh.

yeah, the marker that I owned that had the most soul was my first Ion. Nothing at all was stock. shot phenomenally. even when I tortured it.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM #41
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Easily put, an ion is a good solid marker that is perfect for playing rec or entry level events. Make sure it has upgrades in the feedneck, asa, and trigger, and has the QEV installed. If you can get it cheap, go for it. If you want something different later, you can sell the ion or just keep it as a backup. Either way, you win.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM #42
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver View Post
Oh alright, if people hate smart parts, why do Freak barrels get a lot of praise, they are smart parts/gog
Those who hate(d) Smarts Parts usually won't have anything to do with Freak barrels for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballerfolife21 View Post
id recommend a g3 or g4...easy mantenence, super easy board to program and when upgraded they shoot amaazing u can find used ones around 150
Good advice, but I would differ on one small detail. My G3 (stock except the board) shoots very nicely. You can probably find a used G3 for $150.00 with a little effort, and the G3 is very good for that price. You may be able to find a used G4 for $225. Both the G3 and the G4 are cocker-threaded, so there are innumerable barrel options.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
custar is offline   Reply With Quote