Community Focus

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM #1
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Why the hate on IONs?

So my friend wants to get an ion for his first gun, off the top of my head I can't think of anything bad about it besides the velocity change. So why do so many people hate a good beginner gun?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 PM #2
cstylz31
HYFR

cstylz31 is playing at Living Legends V
cstylz31 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cstylz31 supports Sherwood Forest
cstylz31 posts videos on PbNation
cstylz31 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
because its made by smart parts........
cstylz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM #3
aerosaaber

aerosaaber supports our troops
Nothing wrong with them, people hate smart parts, this means he can get an ion (possibly with ups) for like $100. they're finicky when the battery gets low or if you don't have brand name new batteries. They're a pain to take apart the first couple times, then it's easy. Go check out the smart parts/ion specific forum for more information and insight.
I play woodsball/scenario but I don't hate on speedballers.
aerosaaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM #4
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Usually, the trash talking is more about Smart Parts than the Ion itself. Smart Parts was involved in some unpopular lawsuits with other companies. You'll be hard pressed to find another gun for less than $100 used that generally operates like a high end.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 PM #5
Rubbster

I have owned ions and other range of markers...they are great and easy to fix..I believe its the people who do not know how to take care of their own markers that hate Ions.

Tell ur friend to get one as a starter and enjoy.
Rubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 PM #6
jacobj9

People hate ions because of smart parts there like apple filling un necesasary lawsuits
jacobj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM #7
paintballoliver

Oh alright, if people hate smart parts, why do Freak barrels get a lot of praise, they are smart parts/gog
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM #8
LotusElise

LotusElise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
They're terrible markers stock.

Their feedneck wont fit most loaders, rendering the marker useless.
To maintain or clean the marker, you have to take the entire thing apart (take barrel off, unscrew all 3 frame screws, unhook eye harness, unscrew two banjos, slide out body, unscrew firing can, and you're finally at the bolt)
The ergonomics are terrible. The trigger is terrible, the ASA puts the tank at an odd place, even the button is very difficult to press
They use a regulator that requires non-standard tools to adjust. Yes I know it's just a wrench, but no one I know carries the wrench required to adjust an Ion regulator, and I know an awful lot of paintball players.
The board is terrible, even for recplay. In addition to the lack of modes, it also doesn't have key features like first shot drop off protection or debounce. Combine that with the terrible maintenance and you end up with a headache at the field when you break that first ball.

Overall they're extremely terrible markers. Oh, and I actually own two Ions myself that I use. The thing is, they have zero stock parts. Everything on that list can be changed with aftermarket accessories, but unless your a tinkerer, it's not worth the time. Never buy a stock Ion. Also never buy a half-upgraded Ion. Everything has be changed on it before it becomes actually decent.

Last edited by LotusElise : 07-18-2011 at 08:09 PM.
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM #9
paintballoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
They're terrible markers stock.

Their feedneck wont fit most loaders, rendering the marker useless.
To maintain or clean the marker, you have to take the entire thing apart (take barrel off, unscrew all 3 frame screws, unhook eye harness, unscrew two banjos, slide out body, unscrew firing can, and you're finally at the bolt)
The ergonomics are terrible. The trigger is terrible, the ASA puts the tank at an odd place, even the button is very difficult to press
They use a regulator that requires non-standard tools to adjust. Yes I know it's just a wrench, but no one I know carries the wrench required to adjust an Ion regulator, and I know an awful lot of paintball players.
The board is terrible, even for recplay. In addition to the lack of modes, it also doesn't have key features like first shot drop off protection or debounce. Combine that with the terrible maintenance and you end up with a headache at the field when you break that first ball.

Overall they're extremely terrible markers. Oh, and I actually own two Ions myself that I use. The thing is, they have zero stock parts. Everything on that list can be changed with aftermarket accessories, but unless your a tinkerer, it's not worth the time. Never buy a stock Ion. Also never buy a half-upgraded Ion. Everything has be changed on it before it becomes actually decent.
Thank you, this was the kind of answer I was looking for, but most of the ions on nation don't have all the stock parts anyway. All he has is $150 so its between this and Azodin blitz
Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM #10
Depression
Learning PB

Depression is for the Gunfight
Wow that was a dumb question a ion vs a blitz, easily go with the blitz its great overall and can shoot up to 20 bps stock. you might be able to find a used one with some for under 150 if your lucky, or you might find just the marker barrel included for under around 150 which is more common.
Depression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM #11
dyepaint17

dyepaint17 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dyepaint17 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I just traded mine fully upped for a fusion 7, check my recent treads for a guy names Tyler j? Something like that. Also, check proshops. They sell them a lot used for a fee for their customers.
dyepaint17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM #12
paintballoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depression View Post
Wow that was a dumb question a ion vs a blitz, easily go with the blitz its great overall and can shoot up to 20 bps stock. you might be able to find a used one with some for under 150 if your lucky, or you might find just the marker barrel included for under around 150 which is more common.
Ok, than what would be a good gun in a $200 range. I really want him to get into paintball cuz he has played with my G6R and he tore up the field.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM #13
LotusElise

LotusElise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
A used ETek1 is my general recommendation for new players on a budget. They're cheap, reliable, and overall great markers for the price.
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM #14
dontflamemeplox

dontflamemeplox owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depression View Post

listen to lotus elipse not this guy...he didnt give any facts except it can shoot 20 bps (most people dont even shoot faster than around 15).

an ion fully upped would be a great beginner gun and with an upgraded board will shoot faster than 20 bps anyways.

blitz reviews that i have read havent been to great either.

swaffle-what do you not understand? it is the hitting of a man in the face with your p***s
dontflamemeplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 PM #15
pballerfolife21
Livin Luxeurious

pballerfolife21 posts videos on PbNation
pballerfolife21 is Legendary
pballerfolife21 supports DLX Technology
id recommend a g3 or g4...easy mantenence, super easy board to program and when upgraded they shoot amaazing u can find used ones around 150
Mile High Saints #21
pballerfolife21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 PM #16
ToBeUsedToBE
Terrence Morton

ToBeUsedToBE is for the Gunfight
ToBeUsedToBE plays in the APPA beginner division
ToBeUsedToBE has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballerfolife21 View Post
id recommend a g3 or g4...easy mantenence, super easy board to program and when upgraded they shoot amaazing u can find used ones around 150
get sponsored by ansgear (they will sponsor ANYONE) and a brand new g4 is $250... please dont tell ansgear i told you that
for the people who are still alive
ToBeUsedToBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 AM #17
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Also, look into an invert mini. For the 200$ price range they're a great steal. Stock they're great, up'd they're even better.

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 AM #18
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
Lol I actually have one in my toolbox just because of this. I don't even own an Ion anymore.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 AM #19
EP1C33
J-Dawg™

Annual Supporting Member
EP1C33 plays in the PSP
EP1C33 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
EP1C33 posts videos on PbNation
EP1C33 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
EP1C33 plays in the APPA D4 division
I just got an ion as my starting "high end" marker and I love it! ran it with a v35 halo and 4500 tank and didnt have a single problem with it the whole day! Never even chopped a single ball. My hopper actually jammed once though.

eBay Feedback!
EP1C33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 AM #20
sbpdood
Most Dope

sbpdood is playing at Living Legends V
sbpdood supports Team VICIOUS
sbpdood is for the Gunfight
sbpdood posts videos on PbNation
sbpdood supports Pev's Paintball
sbpdood has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver
Oh alright, if people hate smart parts, why do Freak barrels get a lot of praise, they are smart parts/gog
Cuz the freak kit fits the luxe.
sbpdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM #21
Pr1m0
Givin' um the Switch

Annual Supporting Member
Pr1m0 plays in the PSP
Pr1m0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Pr1m0 supports DLX Technology
^and shoockers.

Has Anyone Seen My Nods?
Probably the only Active SF guy still competing in Paintball -__-