Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM #1
zijin_cheng

How to set adjust red dot sight

I got a red dot sight and it is excellent in fast target acquisition as far as being accurate left/right

at close range, the left/right and up/down accuracy is excellent, however, past 30ish feet the red dot doesn't quite line up with the paintball hit, and i'm trying to adjust my sight as far down as it will go, and it won't go down anymore, any suggestions?
zijin_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM #2
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Red dots are useless with paintball guns, cause paintballs never fly the same flight path. All the red dots are good for is looks.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 AM #3
5alivepaintball

paint balls are not like bullets they follow a complete different branch of physics
5alivepaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 AM #4
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5alivepaintball View Post
paint balls are not like bullets they follow a complete different branch of physics
No they still follow ballistic trajectories but paintballs typically vary too much for a red dot to be consistent from shot to shot. You can dial one in to get in the neighborhood but you're better off saving that money for paint and learning to aim without a sight.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM #5
cdinger8
11 Bravo

cdinger8 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
their is to many variables to count on an accurate mark every time. little things like the different types of paint, the amount of air used each shot. things like that. theres a reason why people use different size backs for barrels because there are differences in paintballs between companys. which will change the flight of the paintball. you could probably get it somewhat accurate but in order to make it more consistant i would make sure you get a good reg and use the same paintballs everytime you play with it.

Ebay feedback
cdinger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM #6
cdinger8
11 Bravo

cdinger8 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by zijin_cheng View Post
however, past 30ish feet the red dot doesn't quite line up with the paintball hit, and i'm trying to adjust my sight as far down as it will go, and it won't go down anymore, any suggestions?
also you have to remember that paintballs are ALOT different than bullets. they have alot more surface area and alot less propellent than bullets do. and they are round vs. a bullet that is designed to cut through the air, paintballs are caught by the wind and able to be pushed around easier.

Ebay feedback
cdinger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
blah blah blah

Lets see if we can actually answer the question (how to adjust a red dot to point lower). Once you get it zeroed so it points at a happy medium range then you just aim a bit low at close range, aim a bit high at father range, and just pray at extreme lobbing range.

To answer the question properly I'll need two bits of information. I need to know what gun you're using it on (or more precisely, the style of sight rail on the gun, but if I know the brand and model of the gun I can figure that out). I also need to know what brand of red dot you're using.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM #8
Trixer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
No they still follow ballistic trajectories but paintballs typically vary too much for a red dot to be consistent from shot to shot. You can dial one in to get in the neighborhood but you're better off saving that money for paint and learning to aim without a sight.

Paintballs do indeed follow a different path of physics and almost everything that applies to a bullet is completely different when it comes to a paintball...

Even steel balled muzzle loaders are not the same as paintballs...

I will never trade for, answer questions, or do I want anything to do with a marker that looks like a real weapon, they are a plague on the paintball community.

We are a sport and we must represent our selves that way, or immature and irresponsible people will ruin us!

The only thing a paintball player fights for is respect. Respect for the game, respect as a player, and respect as a team. We are not soldiers, warriors, or fighters. We are survivors!
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
Trixer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM #9
5alivepaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
..You knew what i meant; even though they both apply to projectile motion the aerodynamics alone separate true bullets and paint balls. Not to mention the velocity, acceleration, mass and consistency of projectile which all add up to the precision of paintball to be nothing like bullets.
5alivepaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM #10
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5alivepaintball View Post
..You knew what i meant; even though they both apply to projectile motion the aerodynamics alone separate true bullets and paint balls. Not to mention the velocity, acceleration, mass and consistency of projectile which all add up to the precision of paintball to be nothing like bullets.
Which is all irrelevant to the question at hand.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM #11
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixer00 View Post
Paintballs do indeed follow a different path of physics and almost everything that applies to a bullet is completely different when it comes to a paintball...

Even steel balled muzzle loaders are not the same as paintballs...
No but the trajectory will still be ballistic. I didn't say "identical to a bullet" I said "ballistic":

bal·lis·tic/bəˈlistik/Adjective
1. Of or relating to projectiles or their flight.

Sounds like a paintball to me unless paintballs are no longer projectiles. The point is you will get the parabolic shape of any projectile but it will not be as consistent as an actual bullet and therefore the red dot will not be very useful.

As for adjusting your sight well if you have it as low as it goes and it's not low enough then I think your out of luck. Red dot sights are designed for bullets typically.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM #12
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Really, it depends on the particular sight. If it's mounted by rings you can place shims between the sight and the rear ring to raise up the rear of the sight (I've had to do this with my First Strike firing T9, and that those things shoot much, much flatter and farther than normal balls, but at a tradeoff off high cost per shot). Depending on how the sight rail is mounted to the gun you can place shims under the rear of the rail to raise up the rear a bit. If the gun has tactical rails on top you can get something like this...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...MOUN T_SYSTEM
Or this...
http://www.rockstartactical.com/product_p/kj-apr.htm
or this...
http://www.rockstartactical.com/Tibe...b-fsr-rail.htm
to give you a greater amount of vertical adjustment.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM #13
Goshawk
Deep South Baller

Annual Supporting Member
Goshawk owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Goshawk owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
blah blah blah

Lets see if we can actually answer the question (how to adjust a red dot to point lower). Once you get it zeroed so it points at a happy medium range then you just aim a bit low at close range, aim a bit high at father range, and just pray at extreme lobbing range.

To answer the question properly I'll need two bits of information. I need to know what gun you're using it on (or more precisely, the style of sight rail on the gun, but if I know the brand and model of the gun I can figure that out). I also need to know what brand of red dot you're using.
Thank You! I don't know you but, you are now one of my favorite people on this site! Yes, red dots do work decent with paintball. I had one on an A5 and it worked pretty good! Listen to what Fubarious said. Adjust the sight to a good medium distance. Practice shooting with the sight and get comfortable using it at that distance. Then learn to aim higher for longer shots and lower for closer shots. As Fubarious also stated, you may need to add shims. I had mine mounted on a rail and did not need to shim it as it adjusted low enough.
Goshawk is offline   Reply With Quote