Community Focus

Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 PM #1
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
Novster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Novster supports Team VICIOUS
Need advice

Alright guys, Its time I started taking better care of myself. Iv been a bigger man for a good portion of my life, Im still young and Id like to get into better shape, now im not asking for any miracle pills or supplements, im asking on advice where i should start first. Iv never been or worked out at a gym so the thought of going there can be a little discouraging and over whelming on where to start first. Id like to say Im a 5 outa 10 on a scale of fitness. My focus for getting in better shape isn't for paintball for but overall health, so Its weird im posting here but I enjoy the positive community here.

Id like to drop weight and gain better upper body strength, Theres a local gym about 2 blocks away from where I live.

Any advice on where to start first and what steps I should take would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Novster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM #2
Smart Parts Player12

Eat less, move more.

For real. How much do you weigh?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 PM #3
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
I'm 6'3 240
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM #4
Smart Parts Player12

Post pictures. That's not terribly heavy for that height.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 PM #5
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
I never said I was super heavy. I do have more body fat on my upper body then I should mainly on the chest. I'm not an inactive person. I work full time and don't have a car so I ride/bus to work. I do not eat as heathy as I should but I'm healthier then I appear.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM #6
Smart Parts Player12

I would just get on a beginner's lifting program. I wouldn't say starting strength but a lot of others would so that's up to you.

Just find your caloric baseline and work with that. Nothing really crazy to do, you can either bulk now and then cut, or cut now and then bulk.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM #7
Patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novster View Post
Id like to drop weight and gain better upper body strength,
The best advice I have is to not focus on the scale if you start lifting because you run the risk of getting discouraged when the scale doesn't move (or moves in the wrong direction). If you're focusing solely on fat loss and are going to wait to start lifting, that's different. As soon as I started lifting (and I'm not lifting much at all, relatively speaking)... I stopped losing weight. I'm still losing fat, but the scale doesn't show that in numbers due to gaining muscle. Does that make sense?

I count my calories and keep them within 1200-1550 each day. However, I'm 5'4" and don't have much muscle mass to maintain. I'm more concerned with cutting fat than I am gaining muscle at this point, anyway. If you're interested in calorie counting, I would recommend signing up to SparkPeople or using a calorie tracking app on your phone, if applicable. SparkPeople really has kept me on track in regards to staying within my calorie range, although their phone app leaves much to be desired. hehe

I can give you advice in regards to weight loss in general and what has worked for me, but that's about the extent of my knowledge at this point.

Good luck and let me know if I can help!
― Pema Chödrön

fashoooow: i could seriosly jack off to your voice, can you moan for me?
Squirrelly Wrath: Well I'll be damned. Patience was right.
Pirate Mafia: No hospital visit no gain, bring a defib with you on each run
Patience. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM #8
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
My goal is not weight but fat. I'm not concern about my weight but visual fat and building a stronger core/upper body.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 PM #9
Smart Parts Player12

well try that for a few months and then come back when it does not work.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM #10
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
Thanks the positive comment. If you wish to be an ******* take it somewhere else. Next time post something constructive.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM #11
Smart Parts Player12

Quote:
Thanks the positive comment. If you wish to be an ******* take it somewhere else. Next time post something constructive.
I did post something constructive. Just working your "core and upper body" doesn't work. What the **** is "visual fat"? I guess if you stare at the spots you want to lose weight hard enough it will come off.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM #12
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
Apparently I was wrong to post here expecting people to offer better advice. Oh well what was I thinking.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM #13
Smart Parts Player12

Quote:
Apparently I was wrong to post here expecting people to offer better advice. Oh well what was I thinking.
Jesus christ dude I gave you good advice. If you want to lose weight you know what you can do? Eat less food, and move around more.

As you acknowledged in your first post, there is no secret to losing weight. Your body doesn't get ripped or strong because you want it to, it does because it needs to adapt to survive.

Do you want to lose fat? Then exercise a lot, and brainblast! Your body will dip into fat stores for energy.

Do you want to gain muscle? Then lift a lot of heavy weight, and brainblast! Your body will create new muscle to sustain heavier loads.

The male body stores fat first on the chest and abdomen. Lose fat, and it will eventually come off.

You asked the broadest question.

Want a rundown of steps?

1. Determine your caloric baseline (oh wait I already said this)
2. Get on a beginner's program (oh wait, I said that too)
3. Join a gym
4. Eat good food at a responsible caloric level.

Last edited by Smart Parts Player12 : 07-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Smart Parts Player12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM #14
Novster
Ghost Busters!

Annual Supporting Member
There we go a helpful post. Your first post were helpful but the negative post was not necessary or constructive.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM #15
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I would help but I think your little feelings might get hurt if I say something negative, so I'll just tell you to man up and just do it. That's all there is to it.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM #16
Bayne
Trucks? Haha, 7/8/08

Suck it up, *****. Read through the lines of bull**** and maybe you'll be able to succeed in fitness, or perhaps even; Life?

ST: Photo- Rimjobs and tummy rubs all around.
I am heaven sent, don't you dare forget.
Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM #17
Patience.

Quote:
Stop it. Just ****ing stop it right now. This community is very supportive to those who put in the effort and don't come in thinking they know it all, but you're also going to have to sift through some negative comments along the way.

Not knowing your head from your *** in regards to fitness can be overwhelming for some people - I get that, I really do! A lot of these guys (from what I can tell) didn't have to deal with fat loss as much as some of us (me, possibly you, some others)... so I feel like sometimes they don't (and can't) truly understand how different the journey FEELS to us when we're beginning. The REALITY is that it all works the same, really, no matter what foundation we begin with. Eat less, move more... etc etc etc.

If you want to build strength and gain muscle, you have to eat enough. From what little I understand about lifting (which isn't much!), you can't gain muscle while running on a calorie deficit... which is what you need to lose weight (not fat - WEIGHT - which is why I said not to focus on the number). So, sure, it can be confusing. But for ****'s sake... don't allow yourself to get discouraged before you even begin. That won't get you any respect around this place.
― Pema Chödrön

Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM #18
Smart Parts Player12

I would say a lot of us know what being holocaust skinny is like. I weighed like 115 pounds going into my senior year.

I can't say that was better/worse than being fat but it surely sucked.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 PM #19
Patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
I would say a lot of us know what being holocaust skinny is like. I weighed like 115 pounds going into my senior year.

I can't say that was better/worse than being fat but it surely sucked.
Yeah... what sucks for me in regards to being here (but I've come to accept it)... is seeing all of you guys consuming thousands of thousands of calories... and I'm like "omg... so hungry." haha
― Pema Chödrön

Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 PM #20
FHS JewFro
black AND white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
Jesus christ dude I gave you good advice. If you want to lose weight you know what you can do? Eat less food, and move around more.

As you acknowledged in your first post, there is no secret to losing weight. Your body doesn't get ripped or strong because you want it to, it does because it needs to adapt to survive.

Do you want to lose fat? Then exercise a lot, and brainblast! Your body will dip into fat stores for energy.

Do you want to gain muscle? Then lift a lot of heavy weight, and brainblast! Your body will create new muscle to sustain heavier loads.

The male body stores fat first on the chest and abdomen. Lose fat, and it will eventually come off.

You asked the broadest question.

Want a rundown of steps?

1. Determine your caloric baseline (oh wait I already said this)
2. Get on a beginner's program (oh wait, I said that too)
3. Join a gym
4. Eat good food at a responsible caloric level.
Reading that reminded me of pelto

Quote:
Tbh, ari is one of the nicer posters around here so just remember that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayne View Post
Suck it up, *****. Read through the lines of bull**** and maybe you'll be able to succeed in fitness, or perhaps even; Life?
I sense a lot of truth in this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience. View Post
Stop it. Just ****ing stop it right now. This community is very supportive to those who put in the effort and don't come in thinking they know it all, but you're also going to have to sift through some negative comments along the way.

Not knowing your head from your *** in regards to fitness can be overwhelming for some people - I get that, I really do! A lot of these guys (from what I can tell) didn't have to deal with fat loss as much as some of us (me, possibly you, some others)... so I feel like sometimes they don't (and can't) truly understand how different the journey FEELS to us when we're beginning. The REALITY is that it all works the same, really, no matter what foundation we begin with. Eat less, move more... etc etc etc.

If you want to build strength and gain muscle, you have to eat enough. From what little I understand about lifting (which isn't much!), you can't gain muscle while running on a calorie deficit... which is what you need to lose weight (not fat - WEIGHT - which is why I said not to focus on the number). So, sure, it can be confusing. But for ****'s sake... don't allow yourself to get discouraged before you even begin. That won't get you any respect around this place.
lold a little
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 PM #21
iizmatts
Me Gusta

iizmatts plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
There we go a helpful post. Your first post were helpful but the negative post was not necessary or constructive.
i'd say just don't bother wasting your time, it's clear from your attitude that you will just fail and give up within a matter of weeks, and that is being generous.

Now if you want some "advice" just go on Keto & an EC stack if fat loss is your goal. Since you have no muscle to begin with it won't be terribly detrimental and you can always bulk up in a few months when you've lost the weight.
iizmatts is offline   Reply With Quote