PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 AM #1
twhitt139

Open Play in MN??

Where is the best place to play open play? And when?
twhitt139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM #2
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
indoor? outdoor? competitive / tournament style or more recreational? What are you looking for?
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:58 PM #3
underdog2987
superhero for hire

Now that we're getting into late fall/winter, Air Assault will be your best bet for open play.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:22 PM #4
eclipse9719

eclipse9719 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
eclipse9719 supports DLX Technology
Where are you located?
eclipse9719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 PM #5
WldWzl
Limp Gawd

Annual Supporting Member
WldWzl donated to help Peyton Trent
WldWzl supports Bob Gurnsey
WldWzl supports our troops
I was also curious about walk on play this time of year, looking at Air Assaults page it looks like they are only "low impact" (.50 cal), except for Friday nights.

In past years a few other outdoor fields have had winter big games (rec).
WldWzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:50 AM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
We might be able to work around it by scheduling a "private group" for any day you want, and getting people to sign up in advance here and through other social media.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 AM #7
WldWzl
Limp Gawd

Annual Supporting Member
Sounds reasonable, frankly I am surprised there aren't more options, but I guess it is slow season, bad time to pickup my M2 I guess.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:06 PM #8
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Sadly it often feels like AA only seems to care about the extreme ends of the player spectrum.

Fresh new player who's scared of getting hit? No prob! Got these new .50 cal guns that sting less.

Uber extreme tournament player who wants to only play against the best of the best? Great! Here's a bunch of tournaments, some scheduled practices, and special Advanced Play nights where they'll give you discounts.

Middle of the road player who wants some friendly non-tournament style games without bunkering or ramping modes, and wants to use their own moderately priced gear? Er, well, here's a couple hours.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:43 PM #9
WldWzl
Limp Gawd

Annual Supporting Member
Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Target your target market and exploit the hell out of it, just sucks when you aren't in that targeted focus
Old 11-08-2015, 11:59 AM #10
twhitt139

Thanks for the replies everyone!

DriverJ, I'm looking for some indoor/outdoor speedball open play, competitive/tournament style.
twhitt139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:40 PM #11
el pengo

el pengo plays in the PSP
el pengo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
el pengo plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Sadly it often feels like AA only seems to care about the extreme ends of the player spectrum.

Fresh new player who's scared of getting hit? No prob! Got these new .50 cal guns that sting less.

Uber extreme tournament player who wants to only play against the best of the best? Great! Here's a bunch of tournaments, some scheduled practices, and special Advanced Play nights where they'll give you discounts.

Middle of the road player who wants some friendly non-tournament style games without bunkering or ramping modes, and wants to use their own moderately priced gear? Er, well, here's a couple hours.
Having done this for more than 8 years running over 100K customers, those "couple hours" are more than we can afford to offer Mr. "Middle of the road".

But yet, we do it. We set up a time frame for those players that want to PLAY paintball, we set up a non-tournament layout and actively work to keep the sharks out of the pool and, low and behold, we get keyboard warriors complaining on some irrelevant forum instead of actively seeking a solution or making a plan for success.

Rinse and repeat.

Maybe you can get out of your comfort zone and try something new. .50 paintball is easily the funnest paintball I've played since the stock class resurgence of the early 2000's.

--Brent Allan Kotchman
Old 11-10-2015, 02:23 PM #12
PD6343

PD6343 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I think everyone can appreciate having an indoor place to go to in the winter and play ball even if it isn't the most convenient hours for everyone. In the end, they have to do what is going to keep their doors open even if it goes against some of the customer base.

My only question and concern is what was the major thinking behind the change to the yearly memberships? I understand getting more people in and playing with rentals but for gun owners now a case of paint is very expensive. Are there thoughts of bringing back the gun owners membership to help mitigate some of those costs? As in, could you offer both? I would legitimately like to know a way gun owners could work with AA to help find a happy medium for both sides.

Thanks,

Philip
PD6343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:10 PM #13
fryloq
#1 in the hood G

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pengo View Post
Having done this for more than 8 years running over 100K customers, those "couple hours" are more than we can afford to offer Mr. "Middle of the road".

But yet, we do it. We set up a time frame for those players that want to PLAY paintball, we set up a non-tournament layout and actively work to keep the sharks out of the pool and, low and behold, we get keyboard warriors complaining on some irrelevant forum instead of actively seeking a solution or making a plan for success.

Rinse and repeat.

Maybe you can get out of your comfort zone and try something new. .50 paintball is easily the funnest paintball I've played since the stock class resurgence of the early 2000's.

--Brent Allan Kotchman
Everyone in the community deeply appreciates having an indoor place to play in the tundra that is MN. I appreciate all of the hard work you and your team does for ALL of us. It is necessary for the new, middle, and advanced players to continue to GROW the sport in MN and give rentals an in-road to being involved further.

I wouldn’t note PBNation is an irrelevant forum considering it’s one of the only outlets for people to communicate about paintball or that people giving feedback is a negative, but should be a chance to learn, grow, and change people’s perceptions.

However the fields and hours currently held are 100% catered to rentals, (I understand you need to be profitable). You sell .68 guns, gear, and other items of which it profits from the entry, middle of the road, and advanced customer but yet only has 3 hours during 6-9pm Friday night that .50 cal rentals can cut into that limited playtime, people are just off work and typically don’t have energy, or have social engagements? And then you tell people to spend more money to rent after they paid money for gear to use to actually play on top of expensive paint costs?

Tournaments are impossible to prepare for as well due to the hours held, field layout, and prices. Also, why not have different dates for both Vintage/AA series? Wouldn’t having two series help drive more people to your stores and grow the community as a whole??

I can't help but feel there is a disconnect from growing the local paintball community in these situations. It feels blocked off, exclusive, and uninviting.

I live local and prefer to play at your fields because it’s easier but no one shows up during the open times and I wonder if that’s because of the situations outlined above. I am with PD6343 on wanting to know how we as gun owners can help close this gap, find a solution, and make a plan for success.

Sincerely,
Fry
fryloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:58 PM #14
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Right, like I said, you don't care about that demographic. Heck, you don't have to run tournaments, or sell any high priced gear at all, but you do anyways, because you DO care about that.

Quote:
But yet, we do it. We set up a time frame for those players that want to PLAY paintball, we set up a non-tournament layout and actively work to keep the sharks out of the pool
No you didn't. Well, you didn't SAY that you did.

I've been keeping an eye on your site and announcements. I love the concept of the Advanced play day to, like you said, "keep the sharks out of the pool", but the way it was laid out you basically just gave them a better pool. Big discounts, free prizes, better reffing. (still too short of play time though, for me a day of play tend to mean an actual full day if I can help it, but that's for another long rant)

Now I'm looking for a place to take my nephew where he can use the Spyder SE his Mom recently picked up for him. I'm obviously NOT going to take him to a ramping electro hose fest (if that's your thing go for it), but Saturday (at the time) had no discounts, no prizes, and reffs where I was explicitly told were there ONLY to make sure goggles stayed on and NOTHING ELSE.

Plus the Advance play was advertised to "avoid the shortcomings of standard recreational 'open' or 'walk-on play.'" (quote taken directly from the site), implying that there was something "wrong" with my prefered style of play.

Obviously, I felt like a second class citizen of the paintball community.

But I've always felt field specialization was actually a good thing, so I kept an eye on the Splatball site (since it's part of the same organization, but not the "tourney" field), hoping for a matching "Rec Ball Saturdays" deal, but sadly no dice. Now that field is apparently rental only, so for me and my needs has become a non-entity. Nothing wrong with that, may even suggest it if the Boss wants to schedule a company team building exercise or something, but not what I'm currently looking for.

Quote:
...and, low and behold, we get keyboard warriors complaining on some irrelevant forum instead of actively seeking a solution or making a plan for success.
Hey now, I'm a Keyboard Captain. Got promoted, orange title and badge and everything.

And I did suggest a solution, booking private parties. I got leads on mag fed players looking for a place to play, pump players, scenario ballers, and more. Most looking to play specifically with like minded players. You could, possibly, if you felt like it, say "get at least 10 (12? 6? whatever number works for you) pre-paid players and book any kind of game you want, rotated in between the rental groups like any other private reservation" and that would open up all kinds of possibilities. Plus, you don't have to take any risks. Let us players worry about finding enough like minded people to get that one specific style we're looking for.

Quote:
The problem is that for me, that's only half of paintball. I'm a gear head, a tinker freak, mod crazy, and a gun hoarder and collector. You don't have a .50 cal pistol for me to use. I got two .68 cal pistols ready to go (and one .50 cal pistol almost ready to go, a classic Crosman 3357, but that doesn't seem to be allowed either). You don't have any mag fed options for me, that's one of my current builds. No pumps, no guns in a crazy splash anno pattern, no vintage oddities. And especially nothing with the grips swapped out, a barrel of my choice, and a small drop forward to get that tank in just the right position for me that makes the gun feel like it's a part of me. I don't play paintball to "get better", most of the time I play to see if this crazy mod or newly acquired vintage gun actually works.

There are plenty of outdoor places that fulfill my needs (maybe even your own, Jordan is unfortunately outside of my usual driving range), and hopefully, someday, there will be an indoor option that cares about my preferred style of play. Maybe you guys, maybe somebody else.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 AM #15
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

Annual Supporting Member
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Having done this for more than 8 years running over 100K customers, those "couple hours" are more than we can afford to offer Mr. "Middle of the road". But yet, we do it. We set up a time frame for those players that want to PLAY paintball, we set up a non-tournament layout and actively work to keep the sharks out of the pool and, low and behold, we get keyboard warriors complaining on some irrelevant forum instead of actively seeking a solution or making a plan for success. Rinse and repeat. Maybe you can get out of your comfort zone and try something new. .50 paintball is easily the funnest paintball I've played since the stock class resurgence of the early 2000's. --Brent Allan Kotchman
Is this seriously how you run your business? You patrol "irrelevant" forums to find "keyboard warriors" that say they wish they had more opportunity to play at your field and you tear them down? What a ****ing joke. You clearly cater to the bachelor party/birthday party rental crowd and when someone says that this is a little upsetting because they own their own gear and like the sport and want to play regularly you troll them? Again, what a ****ing joke.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 PM #16
f8al
MIDWEST CLOTHING

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al donated to help Peyton Trent
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
f8al posts videos on PbNation
f8al supports our troops
Air Assault now has open play (gun owner's hours) on Sunday's from 1p to 5p and starts this Sunday. You guys asked for more and we are happy to give it!

Gun Owner's Hours Link
f8al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:31 PM #17
eclipse9719

eclipse9719 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
eclipse9719 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by f8al View Post
Air Assault now has open play (gun owner's hours) on Sunday's from 1p to 5p and starts this Sunday. You guys asked for more and we are happy to give it!

Gun Owner's Hours Link
Great news! What is the price of entry and paint?
eclipse9719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:04 PM #18
f8al
MIDWEST CLOTHING

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al donated to help Peyton Trent
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
f8al posts videos on PbNation
f8al supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse9719 View Post
Great news! What is the price of entry and paint?
All information is posted on the website, if you have any questions please feel free to give us a call!
f8al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 PM #19
tlarsen47

Are there any fields in the north east metro? Like Forest Lake area? I know know that its below freezing airassault is the place to go. Ive been out of the sport for a few years and am looking to get back into it.
tlarsen47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM #20
underdog2987
superhero for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarsen47 View Post
Are there any fields in the north east metro? Like Forest Lake area? I know know that its below freezing airassault is the place to go. Ive been out of the sport for a few years and am looking to get back into it.
Splat tag would be the closest to there, but that's still 20 min.These days your other options are Annandale, MN pro, Vintage, APPG and AA.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 PM #21
tlarsen47

Thanks
tlarsen47 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups