PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM #1
MrBluE!
Bob Saget

Infantry BOLC and lifting

My current situation is I'm going to Infantry BOLC in November and I don't know if I should be cutting right now or still be trying to bulk; I'm trying to bulk right now due to lack of lifting this past semester

My PT score is anywhere from a 285-295 depending how much I'm running.
I'm maxing my push-ups and situps and running my 2 mile in high 13s/low 14s
My current lifts are:
Bench- 255
Squat - 295
Deadlift - 385

As you can see, I still have a bit of fat on me and im weighing in at around 175. My concern is that I'm going to have little time to be consistently lifting at BOLC and will be running quite a bit.

Should I just cut right now and try to get rid of the remaining fat? Or just keep doing what I'm doing and more than likely lose some fat at BOLC ?

TEXASTECH
MrBluE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM #2
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
Focus on APFT, 5-mile run and ruck sparingly before.

You will melt fat in IBOLC without trying once you hit field ops, so don't worry about cutting. IMO, don't lift heavy from now until after you graduate...take my advice on this one.

Your priority concerns should be:
1. Running, pushups, situps and 5-mile endurance (13 or below, Max to Ranger standard, max, 35 minutes or below)
2. Rucking (you will ruck long and heavy; focus on light and long to build up stabilizers and back strength)
3. Graduating IBOLC

Not:
1. Body composition
2. Ranger school
3. Lifting #'s and lifting heavy

GL, don't fail, don't get hurt and enjoy it. Don't be a buddy ****er. Don't let anyone tell you it's easy, because it's not. Squad STX, Platoon OPs, Urban OPs and Leader Forge will kick your ***.
Thank me for the gravel later, it used to be dirt and grass.

Tips for IBOLC/Columbus:
1. Go to downtown Columbus once, never again.
2. Go to Auburn instead.
3. Go to Atlanta.
4. Don't drink and drive.
5. Exit 6, 8 and 10 are your main exits.
6. Don't live at Independence Place.
7. If you ignored 6, don't stay there on weekends.
8. Get Nike boots with RED SOLE inserts.
9. Get Garmont T-8s.
10. Don't think about Ranger school until you get there.

Last edited by Death_Taco : 08-05-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Death_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM #3
MrBluE!
Bob Saget

Thanks DT that's some damn good advice. I'm going to incorporate more rucking and running now that I have literally nothing to do until BOLC since I graduate this week. I guess I'll just keep my current levels of lifts and focus more on what you said.

My 5 mile time is pretty weak right now. It's around 40 minutes.

What's funny is that 3 guys that I know stayed at Independence Place and highly recommended it haha. Guess ill find something elsewhere.

Oh, and T8s are boss.

Thanks for your help man.

TEXASTECH
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM #4
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

It's not bad, if you enjoy being surrounded by male Infantry and Armor LTs 24/7.

Check out Exits 8, 10 and 12 for apartments. It's a longer drive to PT, but you'll appreciate it more on the days off and weekend.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM #5
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

DT, how do those T8's compare to the Oakley's? Specifically, these:

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/sias...ot8height.aspx

EDIT: Also, this is what came up when I googled "red sole inserts". Is this right?

https://secure.yoursole.com/us/footbeds/softec-ultra/
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.

Last edited by black_angus : 08-09-2013 at 09:15 PM.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM #6
solrflare

solrflare is a Supporting Member
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
T-8s ****ing rock every boot I've ever worn.

Seriously, they are durable, comfortable, dry quickly while wearing them, and most importantly, they look good when bloused low.

DT's advice is ****ing solid. Wish I could've seen it before I went to IBOLC.

Only thing I'll comment on is the RED SOLE inserts. Go to sick call, tell them your arches are hurting (or some other foot-related complaint). Get a sick call slip stating that you can go to the brace shop and have inserts made. 100% free, and customized exactly to your foot. They'll make them for a few pairs of boots.

Try on the Nike SFBs before you buy them. My toes curl inward, and the Nikes curl upward - making it very uncomfortable for my toes to sit in.

I'd keep your strength up by lifting ~3 days a week. It also feels good to go to the gym and throw some weight around after you've been in the field for a week or when you've been doing ruck/run/Crossfit/etc for the entire damn week. Take advantage of your time off in the LTO (HHC 2-11).
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM #7
solrflare

Oh, and--the further you are from post, the closer you are to Atlanta.

Just depends on what your priorities are, really. I lived on exit 12 (Grand Reserve) when I was a lieutenant, and on exit 10 (Greystone Main Street) when I was a captain...both enjoyable experiences.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM #8
MrBluE!
Bob Saget

Definitely appreciate all the advice guys. Ive been doing a lot running and rucking lately while still lifting 4 days a week. In the month that i've started actively training my ruck and run, ive gotten quite a bit faster on both and even lost some weight without trying.

Oh, and T8s are boss.

TEXASTECH
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 AM #9
solrflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBluE! View Post
Oh, and T8s are boss.