Community Focus

Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM #1
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna works for a Paintball manufacturer
Thoughts on snatchgrips

Hi gang, it seems I need to make some snatchgrips for Minis. I saw the ones that Ruthless used to sell and I want to make it a little longer then that. If anyone owns one of those please let me know what you think of its shape so I can take it into consideration.
Here's the initial shape I'm looking to use....

Thoughts??

EDIT: updated in post #8.
updated in post #18
updated in post #20
updated more and more in other posts
prototypes in post #81

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".

Last edited by Ydna : 08-11-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM #2
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Looks nice. I don't have one, but that looks sick. Maybe some designs on the sides?

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 PM #3
Skeemask
I like turtles!

Skeemask plays in the APPA D5 division
Skeemask has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
IMHO it could possibly be a bit shorter, but it looks awesome. Maybe a happy medium between the Ruthless design and your initial design. What are your thoughts on material and colors?

Also, my main concern with a snatch grip is getting that back frame screw off of my thumb. That thing always tears me up when I've got a death grip on my gun running to a bunker or when I switch hands. So if you haven't thought about it, I think a more recessed screw opening and no sharp edges would be nice.
*Edit* looked over your drawing again, and it looks as if you've already rounded everything, so ignore this second part. */Edit*

Just my opinions, do with them what you will. I'm excited as hell to get this thing screwed in and tested out.

Last edited by Skeemask : 07-07-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Skeemask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM #4
Teahouser
that one guy

Awesome that you're making a snatch for the mini!

i would personally make it a bit shorter than that, cause for me at least i have my mask pretty close to the back of the bolt guide, so that length would always be poking my mask lens. also it would be nice if the two recesses for the fingers were a bit more defined and deeper.
Teahouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 PM #5
groundzero_88

yeah, what teahouser said. he knows what hes talking about. i still call first dibs!!. make it out of delrin, it seems to be the popular material these days
groundzero_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM #6
KappY!

KappY! supports Team VICIOUS
KappY! has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
KappY! is attending Decay of Nations VI
I'd like to see the snatch blend better into the actual existing rear of the marker. In front of the screw holding the poppit assembly, you have that fillet, I would be interested to see how it would look as an extra "knuckle" of the grip extension.

KappY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM #7
TheEnglishGuy

It's looks a bit .. stubby to me. I'd prefer it to be a bit more sweeping, a bit like if you took the trigger in your picture and turned it on it's side. Maybe with it extended further forward and a more defined trigger finger grip position, that would look good.

Of course, everyone's going to have their own opinion on looks, but the key parts are that it's comfortable to hold while carrying (no sharp edges) and balances the Mini well with standard size tanks attached.

English
TheEnglishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 PM #8
Ydna
timetraveler

I was planning to provide them in anodized aluminum. As mentioned the rear frame screw is recessed into it to hide most of the screw head.

I could shorten it but it would remove some of the leverage for your thumb to sit (if and only if you use the snatchgrip to snapshoot). For carrying the marker around it could be a lot shorter, but at the same time I want to make sure the people that use it for snapshooting can also use it. hmmm more tinkering to do...

Here's a new picture. I made it climb up the back of the frame a little higher, and also made the shape more pronounced slightly.

The one in the picture is half an inch wide. It's wider than some of the snatches out there (NDZ) but not as wide as others (Imperial). Personally I like them wide enough that they're hard to miss with your hands, but I don't want to go crazy. Personally, I like my snatchgrips to be even more pronounced, like the original ones on Angels and Shocker Sports. But it seems most of the industry has moved away from that crazy shape into what we have these days.

Kappy can you describe what you're meaning a little further? Maybe draw a picture?

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 PM #9
Skeemask
I like turtles!

Skeemask plays in the APPA D5 division
Skeemask has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I think the second one looks perfect.
Skeemask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 PM #10
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
I was planning to provide them in anodized aluminum. As mentioned the rear frame screw is recessed into it to hide most of the screw head.

I could shorten it but it would remove some of the leverage for your thumb to sit (if and only if you use the snatchgrip to snapshoot). For carrying the marker around it could be a lot shorter, but at the same time I want to make sure the people that use it for snapshooting can also use it. hmmm more tinkering to do...

Here's a new picture. I made it climb up the back of the frame a little higher, and also made the shape more pronounced slightly.

The one in the picture is half an inch wide. It's wider than some of the snatches out there (NDZ) but not as wide as others (Imperial). Personally I like them wide enough that they're hard to miss with your hands, but I don't want to go crazy. Personally, I like my snatchgrips to be even more pronounced, like the original ones on Angels and Shocker Sports. But it seems most of the industry has moved away from that crazy shape into what we have these days.

Kappy can you describe what you're meaning a little further? Maybe draw a picture?
Second one looks great.

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 PM #11
groundzero_88

yup, im diggin the second one. black anno it is! lol. lookin good ydna, you do some fine work. what program you making these on?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 AM #12
Ken448
Meow

Ken448 is a Supporting Member
Ken448 posts videos on PbNation
Ken448 supports Empire
ID like to see it blend into the arc of the frame better if possible. So, if you hold the marker higher on the frame, you dont get "stuck" between the snatch and the pit of the frame. Plus that will make it look like it belongs more. Right now, looks like its just hangin off the gun
Ken448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 AM #13
Teahouser
that one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
ID like to see it blend into the arc of the frame better if possible. So, if you hold the marker higher on the frame, you dont get "stuck" between the snatch and the pit of the frame. Plus that will make it look like it belongs more. Right now, looks like its just hangin off the gun
i see what you're saying.

i want this:
Teahouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 AM #14
groundzero_88

^^^ word
Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 AM #15
The_Fresh
Doug

plays in the NXL
The_Fresh plays in the APPA D3 division
The_Fresh supports Ninja Paintball
Make it flush with the trigger frame

Boston Siege
The_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM #16
KappY!

KappY! has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
KappY! is attending Decay of Nations VI
Similar to what Teahouser has... continued arch from the frame, then go into what you have.

KappY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM #17
SpeedBallDEVIL
Certified KEE Technician

SpeedBallDEVIL donated to help Peyton Trent
SpeedBallDEVIL owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SpeedBallDEVIL supports Bob Gurnsey
SpeedBallDEVIL supports our troops
SpeedBallDEVIL is reppin' sidebar 4 life
SpeedBallDEVIL has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
This is a great idea I would prefer the second image but, as said above, more flush with the frame. Use the natural curve of the frame and maybe make that into a third arc? You want to make it comfortable.

I also agree with making sure it doesn't stick out too far. It is a Mini, lol a small setup tends to smack you in the googlies every now and then if you have a small tank.
SpeedBallDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM #18
Ydna
timetraveler

I might be able to do something like teahouser's drawing (pic below). It's hard to make the snatchgrip follow the exact shape of the frame though, or at least follow it any further past the mark I have in the pic below. After this we get into the curve of the frame and I'd rather not upset that since it would mean the snatchgrip complexity would increase pretty quick (need another setup on the machine, higher cost). The curve itself isn't a big deal since I can match it if needed, but I'd also need to match the the fillets and rounds.

I shortened it a little tiny bit, but it looks the same in the picture.

I will make some prototypes on monday and see what I can see....

As told by Stobaeus
Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 PM #19
Ken448
Meow

Ken448 supports Empire
That flows MUCH better and looks like part of the gun rather than just a booger hangin off the back. IMO, a single finger snatch may work very well on the Mini
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM #20
Ydna
timetraveler

okay okay I can take a hint you're looking at something like this (the tank iun the picture is a 68-cu)

Because you nag me, I'll make prototypes of each.

As told by Stobaeus
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM #21
Ken448
Meow

Ken448 supports Empire
IMO, that would be PERFECT! I carry my Axe like its got a snatch on it, but adding that 1 extra "finger" would be very nice!