Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 PM #1
bubbleboy016
is ****in amazing.

has been a member for 10 years
bubbleboy016 donated to help Peyton Trent
Need guidance...

Trained for two years, four years ago, before herniatin my L4/5 disc and requiring surgery, took two years off because I was scurred.

Got back into the gym last October and I was probably 180lb at 20-23%bf, I had before picture but i deleted it by accident. I started lifting bar only for 2-3 weeks to get in the habit of going to the gym again and to make sure all my forms were good.

Since then I slowly ramped up my calorie intake and I'm currently eating 7-8cups cooked brown rice, 1lb chicken, 1-2 english muffins, ~8tbsp of peanutbutter, and 1/3 gallon whole milk with russian bear 5k mixed in. No other supplements.

My current stats:
25y/o
5'10"
195lbs
12-14% bf

Lifts:
Squat 275 x5
Bench 225 x3
Deads 385 x3
Overhead Press 135 x5

My squat lagged behind because I negelected to do them as often as required for the past month. I've gone back to doing them every other day adding 5lbs each day, so it should catch up fairly quickly.

But my dilemma:
I initially started lifting because my goal has always been to join the 1000 club, and I'm not too far off. But i've kind of hit a wall and I dont know what to do.

I've stalled out on gaining weight, I'm currently at a maintenence level and cant seem to break past 195-198 with my current diet. I'm getting sick of stuffing my face, its been about 2.5-3mo straight of this diet and its tiring. Now its becoming frustrating since my weight isnt going up, either.

I was thinking about cutting since summer is around the corner and living on the beach means I should probably not be at 12-14%bf for beach aesthetics.

But my dilemma is that I havent hit my numbers yet, which is pretty important to me, but so are womens.

So, my question is, if I switch to a cutting diet and only cut 3-800 calories per day to drop body fat, will I have the energy to continue increasing my lifts or will I lack energy due to being on a caloric defecit?

Secondly, after very quick reading, it seems like 170-180lbs at 6-8%bf is the average max muscle potential for someone at 5'10, natural. Which means that my 195 at 12-14% puts me roughly at 168-170lb at 6-8%bf. How is it possible that ive reached my max muscular potential after only 4mo of training, or am I being deceived by numbers, somewhere?
╚═╝

Last edited by bubbleboy016 : 03-05-2015 at 09:22 PM.
bubbleboy016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 PM #2
Hawke

First question:
If you diet correctly, yes you will have the energy to increase your lifts while cutting. I would recommend consuming a significant amount of your total carbs the meal prior to lifting.

Second question:
You haven't. The numbers aren't deceiving, they're wrong.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 PM #3
bubbleboy016
is ****in amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Second question: You haven't. The numbers aren't deceiving, they're wrong.
My numbers or the numbers from the interwebs?

But basically I should keep doing what I'm doing and simply adjust my diet to fit my goals at this point?
╚═╝
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 PM #4
Hawke

It's impossible to determine a max muscle potential and so that number is incorrect.

And yes. If you want to lose weight, eat less. If you want to gain weight, eat more. If you want to get stronger, I would not recommend eating less. While it is possible to do, it will be a struggle.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50 AM #5
spaz22colon
thats ery day

First off, if you are looking to lose BODY FAT you need to focus on INCHES. NOT WEIGHT. Weight just shows you how much you weigh (obviously) but does not tell you how much muscle or fat you have. That can be figured through a body composition test (NOT BMI). As you are working out you will gain muscle and because it is more dense than fat, it will appear you aren't losing weight as quickly. Thats because you are putting on muscle. So if your clothes are fitting better then you are losing fat.

As far as cutting; you don't and i would highly recommend NOT decreasing your caloric intake. Fat loss is determined by a very simple formula: as long as your Energy Out is greater than your energy intake, you will lose the fat. So simply speaking, just up your workout regimen and you will lose the fat.
spaz22colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 PM #6
bubbleboy016
is ****in amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz22colon View Post
First off, if you are looking to lose BODY FAT you need to focus on INCHES. NOT WEIGHT. Weight just shows you how much you weigh (obviously) but does not tell you how much muscle or fat you have. That can be figured through a body composition test (NOT BMI). As you are working out you will gain muscle and because it is more dense than fat, it will appear you aren't losing weight as quickly. Thats because you are putting on muscle. So if your clothes are fitting better then you are losing fat.

As far as cutting; you don't and i would highly recommend NOT decreasing your caloric intake. Fat loss is determined by a very simple formula: as long as your Energy Out is greater than your energy intake, you will lose the fat. So simply speaking, just up your workout regimen and you will lose the fat.
This was terrible.

A) you argue I need to be concerned with inches and not weight, only to continue to explain how body fat works and the differences between muscle and fat. Completely ignoring your initial argument/statement that inches matter. What.

B) "cutting" comes from the process of decreasing caloric intake to lose weight, aka, cutting calories.

C) "simply increasing my workout regimen" is terrible advice. Increasing metabolism as a result of working harder is infinitely harder than simply controlling the diet. Sage advice: bodies are torn in the gym ad sculpted in the kitchen.

Do more research please.
╚═╝