Community Focus

Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM #1
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
webcast camera views

90% of the time they're talking about somebody getting hit, the video is on a close up of a guy who is not getting hit. I understand why they want to do close up shots, but can't they have a split screen so i can see the entire field at the same time?
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM #2
Hedhunter
Assassinspaintball.net

I understand what you are saying but that was hands down the most watchable event they ever put on and it was .... FREE.
Hedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM #3
klettis33
Custom Fiberglass King

klettis33 plays in the PSP
klettis33 is an NCPA player
klettis33 plays in the APPA D4 division
klettis33 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah the webcast was amazing, so what if there are small things like this.

CHI TOWN FURY
klettis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM #4
saunders182

saunders182 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedhunter
I understand what you are saying but that was hands down the most watchable event they ever put on and it was .... FREE.
It's free. Can't get to picky unless your paying for it.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post83927609
saunders182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 PM #5
hosscat5511

hosscat5511 plays in the APPA D4 division
hosscat5511 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hosscat5511 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintball is a great sport but to all those who diss a camera veiw when the webcast is free is not a true paintballer and that is weak..... Sorry but its a great thing that those people take so much of their time money and energy to make sure us poor people who cant make it to those events still get to be a part of it. So if you gonna complain about psp webcast turn on your tv and watch soap operas and shut up...
hosscat5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 PM #6
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
it was great and free, i'm not going to argue about that. It would have been great though, if they had shown the playing field more. I very much enjoyed it.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 PM #7
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Split screens don't work, there are a bunch of reasons for that that I can't go into right now cos they'd take ages to explain. Same as why they have no D side cams. Sufficed to say I do camera angles and shot composition professionally and so I know. The split screen they use for some of the breakouts is kinda cool, but I'm glad that's as far as they take it.

The best way to get around this problem would be to have a 1-3 second delay on the webcast so that the livecut director could cut to a camera even just after something happens, but we'd see what happened on that same camera 3 seconds before. It's apparently quite difficult to set that sort of system however and some people don't like it because it means it's not 100% live. I don't see what the problem is when webcasts almost always have a few seconds delay anyway, but the extra cost and equipment is probably the real issue.

All that said, the fact is that this webcast is awesome. It's the best live coverage of paintball that has ever been. Ever. They're doing a phenomenal job.

Last edited by vijil : 06-27-2011 at 12:08 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 AM #8
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
replays, like you suggest, would have been even better, but seeing how it's free there's no argument to be made there.

i was just frustrated at the announcers talking all the amazing shots and kill that we couldn't see because we were watching some guy reloading.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 AM #9
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

I'm not suggesting replays, I'm suggesting delayed cuts - big difference. It would work even better than replays.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM #10
Enderle

Enderle is Boss
it was definitely amazing, AND you didnt pay for it- quit complaining.

I thought their split screen breakout was cool

I bet you were *****ing about the bug crawling on one of the wide angle views the whole time too
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM #11
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
wow, now i remember why i dont' post here often. people are constantly out to get me when i'm trying to offer constructive criticism.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 AM #12
Enderle

Enderle is Boss
I didn't see anything constructive in your criticism, i'm sure it is a widely held view, but trying to flip cameras on a live webcast when things are happening all over the field is more difficult than it looks. I think you'll see a lot more of what you're looking for when people like Social Paintball, ETV, and pbfashion's Chicago compilation movies come out
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 AM #13
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

If you cannot recognize that he was simply suggesting an improvement for the webcast then you must be extremely dense. Just because the PSP put it out for free does not mean it is safe from any sort of judgment. I understand that this isn't an easy thing to put together but there are still things that can be improved.

I can understand if he had gone out of his way to insult the people involved or had just been blatantly ignorant on the topic, but that is just not the case. I would say that the people posting in this thread giving him **** are more at blame than anyone.

Play nice kids.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM #14
byrontech
J.R.

byrontech plays in the PSP
byrontech plays in the APPA D3 division
The camera team just needs better timing. Someone to say "Switch to camera 2" "Switch to camera 1" at the time something's happening. Meh...It was free though, so you can't complain too much lol.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM #15
Ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post

The best way to get around this problem would be to have a 1-3 second delay on the webcast so that the livecut director could cut to a camera even just after something happens, but we'd see what happened on that same camera 3 seconds before. It's apparently quite difficult to set that sort of system however and some people don't like it because it means it's not 100% live. I don't see what the problem is when webcasts almost always have a few seconds delay anyway, but the extra cost and equipment is probably the real issue.
THIS. I've been thinking this since they started doing webcasts. Even if we see things after the commentators say it, it would be nice- They see something, the director/ whoever is in charge of which camera feed is on switches to the camera after it's happened, but the camera feed is on a delay so we see what just happened 3 seconds ago. I hadn't thought it would be very costly, but I guess it must be then. Still something possible for the future maybe.
Amazing webcast as always!
Ahhhh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM #16
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Quote:
Even if we see things after the commentators say it
Easy enough to delay the commentator feed to match anyways. Everything would have a three second delay except the camera cuts. That'd make for a much more watchable game.

Like I say though, probably a real pain/expense to set up. I'm not that familiar with the hardware and software side of it all as I generally work in 3D animation, not live action.

Last edited by vijil : 06-27-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM #17
klettis33
Custom Fiberglass King

klettis33 plays in the PSP
klettis33 is an NCPA player
klettis33 plays in the APPA D4 division
klettis33 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Split screens don't work, there are a bunch of reasons for that that I can't go into right now cos they'd take ages to explain. Same as why they have no D side cams. Sufficed to say I do camera angles and shot composition professionally and so I know. The split screen they use for some of the breakouts is kinda cool, but I'm glad that's as far as they take it.

All that said, the fact is that this webcast is awesome. It's the best live coverage of paintball that has ever been. Ever. They're doing a phenomenal job.

There is def a delay, I had 4g at the field on my phone so I pulled up the webcast while sitting in the stands. A good ten second delay. So maybe they are doing composing already, either way thumbs up to PSP for a world class event and webcast.

CHI TOWN FURY
klettis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM #18
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

A 10 second delay is fairly normal on webcasts whether they add a delay or not.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM #19
kdells

Sunday night as we packed up our field i had a chance to Talk to Tim the head guy from PSP as far as reff's go and i told him i hadn't been able to attend at all while the event was going due to running our home fields but i had been able to watch via the web.

Personally i thought it was an awesome thing to be able to see and even commented that i love the BO split screen.

I asked Tim if they were going to keep doing the webcasts and hey said definetly for the rest of the seasons events so we can look forward to more of it. He thought his guys did a great job because of a few things as far as the webcasts go explaining in a game that fast paced where people are being shot out so quickly that trying to be a cameraman to that is madness.

He brought up a good point that the cameramen at a football game are very well in tune to what formations a football team will use and then know that "Hey pan in on the wide reciever for this play", yet in paintball teams don't use a formation coming out of the gate so they try to find hotspots of battles going on within the field and try to get those shots.When that gunfight is over on two guys they then try and find the next one and so on.

He said they have had this system for a few years but it is super expensive to do it so keep in mind that just doing the webcasts is costing them a lot of coin,upgrading it will more then likely come down the road.

To me to be able to find a shady spot at my home field and watch the event while waiting for customers to show up(i think everybody was in Chicago we were dead this weekend) was a very cool thing to be able to do!

Edge Paintball Feilds,Janesvile Wisconsin

Last edited by kdells : 06-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.
kdells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:48 PM #20
eracism

EEK! I just posted a thread similar to this... Can't wait to get yelled at.
eracism is offline   Reply With Quote