PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 PM #1
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

Good marker for under $300?

Im looking to get into some paintball....it has always looked fun and my brother has done it for a while. We live on a farm and I will probably mainly use the gun around here with friends and have small games in our junkyards. I've been looking around the forum for a few days mostly in the electronic markers FS sections and most of what I see is over what I'm looking to spend. Im not new to spending money on hobbies and Im fully aware what a top of the line gun costs, im just looking for a decent marker that has the ability of 3 and 6 burst and full auto for under $300. So if you guys could point me in a good direction of what to stay away from and maybe throw some pics or links up of some markers, I would appreciate it. And im not opposed to buying used either. Thanks
White Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM #2
PaintBawlNewb

PaintBawlNewb plays in the APPA beginner division
PaintBawlNewb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Uhh, sounds like you want a milsim type gun, you could always go to http://www.rap4.com/ and look at some of their stuff. Make sure you get a good mask too, don't skimp on a good mask, and make sure you go to a store to try them on. It is better in the long run.
PaintBawlNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM #3
Mephysteaux
Pronounced Meh-Fist-Oh

Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
3 round burst is a fairly common setting, but isn't a fire mode that a lot of people use, and I hardly ever hear about 6 round burst. Personally, I would recommend disregarding those fire modes and just sticking to semi auto, since that's the only mode most recreational fields allow. You can shoot pretty fast with semi, and if you get decent with it, you can play elsewhere without losing your burst fire as a crutch.

That said, is $300 for your entire setup or just for the marker?

I'd say if you're playing at home, I'm guessing you won't have air fill capability, so you'll want to look into something that's air efficient. Poppet valve markers typically are more air efficient, but in reviews you'll often find some good specs on efficiency.

Also, for a beginner, I would avoid RAP4. They're mostly about looks, and when you buy a RAP4, you're typically paying about 3 times as much as you would for one with equivalent performance.

Hellkatz present: Blues Brothers - May 11, 2013 - LVP South, Hatfield PA

Join Fitocracy, the free online social fitness game.
Mephysteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM #4
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

I got the 6 round burst thing from one of my brother guns, a spyder electra. But like you said im not sure if ill use that a lot but would defenitley be nice if it could do 3 round burst. And im fairly positive ill have the ability to fill bottles here once I find a proper adapter to hook up a bottle and find a pressure regulator system. We have the ability to get almost any gas including CO2 and oxygen, we do a lot of fabrication here and have the ability to do a lot of things ourselves.

And the $300 figure would be nice If I could get a bottle and maybe a decent electronic hopper in there for around that total. I know thats not a very big budget for good quality parts but I am planning on just using this as another toy, something to do every few weekends or something. But if there is a gun in my range that would work great for me and you could help me out with that, that would be great. Im not sure what to stay away from, or much at all.

One question I do have is what are the advantages or disadvantages of using CO2 or compressed air?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 PM #5
neo2000x

neo2000x supports our troops
Compressed air is more consistent than CO2. CO2 is in liquid form and expands into air but requires the warmth from the air. That's why CO2 isn't very consistent in colder weather. When I say consistent, I mean less velocity spikes. However, CO2 tanks are easier to get filled (any sporting store) while compressed air is typically only available at paintball stores.

Whether you go with CO2 or compressed air is going to be the biggest factor in what type of marker you get. A lot of the high end electrical markers won't work with CO2 because the liquid can freeze and ruin their parts during high rates of fire.

If I were you I'd get the GOG Excty for $250. It's electric, has the modes you want, and can work with either CO2 or compressed air. It also shoots really well and can hang with the high end markers.
neo2000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM #6
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

Wouldnt the compressed air just be as easy as getting an oxygen tank, like used for oxy acetelyne cutting or welding and re-filling the bottles? If so I could easily do that here. The reason I asked is becasue of what you said about the CO2 being in liquid form and expanding into a gas farm, my though is that the CO2 would be a stronger or more powerful energy source than the CO2, but if they are comparable then I could get a hold of oxygen easily enough.

And I'm wanting a full size marker, not a mini, and not necessairly a sniper or a tactical looking marker either. But I would like it to look good, with good colors and cheesy things like that.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM #7
k-nasty239
4 hire

tippman 98 customize it!

(insert new team here)x3
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM #8
Yeti6669
www.YetiPB.com

Annual Supporting Member
Yeti6669 donated to help Peyton Trent
Yeti6669 posts videos on PbNation
Yeti6669 supports our troops
Yeti6669 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Yeti6669 is a top reviewer
Yeti6669 is Boss
I'm liking the DP G4 at the under 300 price point.
Yeti6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM #9
joshdj17

joshdj17 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
joshdj17 is for the Gunfight
gog excty
joshdj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM #10
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

I looked at that GOG Excty, I really like the lines and shape of that gun and it seems to have the right stuff. Is it easy to find different customizations for this gun? Different parts in different colors and barrels in colors and things like that?

Also what would be a good affordable electronic hopper?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM #11
neo2000x

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rider View Post
Wouldnt the compressed air just be as easy as getting an oxygen tank, like used for oxy acetelyne cutting or welding and re-filling the bottles? If so I could easily do that here. The reason I asked is becasue of what you said about the CO2 being in liquid form and expanding into a gas farm, my though is that the CO2 would be a stronger or more powerful energy source than the CO2, but if they are comparable then I could get a hold of oxygen easily enough.

And I'm wanting a full size marker, not a mini, and not necessairly a sniper or a tactical looking marker either. But I would like it to look good, with good colors and cheesy things like that.
None is more powerful, the tank regulates the pressure so they output about the same. Compressed air is definitely the better of the two due to consistency. If you have access to compressed air definitely go that route. A lot of people use scuba tanks with an adapter to fill their paintball tanks. You just gotta be okay with lugging the scuba tank around.

I still say get the GOG Excty. A great marker for the price, full sized, and shoots way better than any mechanical (Tippman, Spyder, ect). Very smooth shooting gun. Also, I think they are going to release body kits so you can change the colors.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 PM #12
MiniMaster423
Proud Luxe 2.0 Owner

Annual Supporting Member
MiniMaster423 plays in the PSP
MiniMaster423 plays in the APPA D5 division
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
well good luck getting "full sized" with the modes you want but like the other guy said GoG Exctcy, Halo B Hopper, co2 tank, proflexes for a mask would be pretty cheap for what you want but still over your budget it would be about...
$385
MiniMaster423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM #13
yOGi420
OD Original Danksta

check ebay or craigslist for a good set up. I recently bought 2 off craigslist that came with tons of extras and i just completely disassembled them a did a complete service and lube job. they work like a dream.

-Dubee aka Sugawolf Pimp
yOGi420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM #14
MiniMaster423
Proud Luxe 2.0 Owner

Annual Supporting Member
He wants the whole setup for $300 not just the gun i think and i dont think you can get much cheaper setup than what i said unless you got like an azodin or spyder
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 PM #15
neo2000x

Ansgear has Viewloader Vlocity Hoppers on sale for $40, great deal for a great hopper. One of the lightest electric hoppers on the market.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM #16
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

I do like the GOG Extcy and I think that marker would fit me well, I understand that I probably wont get what I want for the price I want but that was just a ballpark number.

As far as bottles go, is there any difference in a CO2 bottle and an oxygen bottle besides just what is inside of it? And do all tanks fit all markers? Or are there actually some tanks that wont fit some markers?

Im on zephyrsports right now and hoping I can find everything on there
Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM #17
neo2000x

All tanks fit all markers. Here are your tank choices:

CO2 tanks come in different sizes, 20 oz is probably the one you want to get. They are made of steel, inexpensive ($20), and light.

There are 2 types of compressed air tanks, aluminum and carbon fiber. Aluminum tanks are pretty cheap ($30-$50) however they are heavier. Carbon fiber tanks are a lot more expensive ($120+) but very light. The tanks come in different shapes and sizes for different people's arm lengths.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 PM #18
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

http://www.zephyrsports.com/product/...-2010-EXTCYBLK

http://www.zephyrsports.com/product/...k-Package.html

So that is what I found on zephyr, does this seem like a decent setup? The hopper and bottle are in a package so it seems like that would be my best bet if that hopper is worth anything. But let me know if I should go with something different in that department
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 PM #19
MiniMaster423
Proud Luxe 2.0 Owner

Annual Supporting Member
That package is great cuz the hopper is $70 alone id do that its a halo invert too hopper its great but you need a mask too
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM #20
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

Another question, how do you know what barrels fit what markers? Are some markers labeled as a certain thread pitch and size and will only accept this brand of barrel? I would like to get a longer barrel in the 2 peice design but I have no idea what fits what. Or is that another deal where almost anything will fit almost anything?

I know im asking a lot of questions but I would just like to educate myself a little in every area of the marker before I purchase. Thanks for all the answers so far
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM #21
White Rider
8SEVENTY3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMaster423 View Post
That package is great cuz the hopper is $70 alone id do that its a halo invert too hopper its great but you need a mask too
Okay thanks for the feedback on that package deal, I'll look around at masks too.