Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 AM #1
Blue_Barron
BECAUSE SCIENCE!!!

has been a member for 10 years
Blue_Barron has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Caswell home anodizing kits?

I saw that Caswell sells complete home-scale anodizing setups. Has anybody ever used one of these? Would these be a decent option for starting up an anodizing system at home? Or would it be cheaper to source my own parts and supplies?

http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/pro...cat=190&page=1

http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/lcd-anodizing-kit.html

EDIT: The 20 gal kit is pricey, but the 6 gal kit is more affordable. Would the smaller kit be adequate for anodizing paintball parts?
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM #2
ryd0g

I was at hustle paintball in co talking to one of the lead mechanics there and he was explaining anodizing to me. Its a very complex process and involves stripping the gun, dipping it in acid and neutralizing it in various stages. It sounds pretty complex, you should just pay someone else to do it honestly.
ryd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:38 AM #3
Blue_Barron
BECAUSE SCIENCE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryd0g View Post
I was at hustle paintball in co talking to one of the lead mechanics there and he was explaining anodizing to me. Its a very complex process and involves stripping the gun, dipping it in acid and neutralizing it in various stages. It sounds pretty complex, you should just pay someone else to do it honestly.
I've actually had two markers reanodized already, and I've done a fair amount of research on the anodizing process, so I'm aware of the complexities. Plus I'm a chemist by training, so that certainly helps.

I'm very interested in starting my own anodizing for personal use, and was hoping to get some feedback from any of the experienced anodizers here who might have any familiarity with these complete kits from Caswell (well known anodizing supplier).
Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 PM #4
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Annual Supporting Member
Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
Stepchild plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryd0g View Post
There are probably better people in Colorado to explain the anodizing process than the guys at Hustle. Don't get me wrong I like the guys at Hustle, but non of them anodize, at least that I know of. There are a coupe of people in Colorado that have years of experience anodizing. One of the them has been doing it for over 10 years in the paintball industry.

Anyway, back on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Barron View Post
I've actually had two markers reanodized already, and I've done a fair amount of research on the anodizing process, so I'm aware of the complexities. Plus I'm a chemist by training, so that certainly helps.

I'm very interested in starting my own anodizing for personal use, and was hoping to get some feedback from any of the experienced anodizers here who might have any familiarity with these complete kits from Caswell (well known anodizing supplier).
If you are wanting to do a small personal ano setup, then the caswell set-ups are ok. They are a bit pricey for what you get but you do not have to source everything from different suppliers. It's kind of that way with all of Caswell stuff, it's a little over priced but a one stop shop. It's decent quality and great for people starting up but if you know what you are wanting and were to find it you can normally get better pricing from other places.

Your biggest expenses will be the rectifier/power supply and depending on how you want to do circulation and cooling. Chillers and pumps can get pricey as well. I will tell you what I tell everyone that wants to anodize. 1. Anodizing is easy to do but hard to be really good at. 2. Don't try and start a business doing paintball anodizing, just have fun with it. 3. practice, practice, practice (go to home depot and buy some scrap pieces of aluminum and run those a bunch of times first)

Also, Caswell forums are full of knowledge from so very good anodizers with lots of experience.

www.blitzpaintball.net www.planeteclipse.com www.hustlepaintball.com

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:51 PM #5
Blue_Barron
BECAUSE SCIENCE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
If you are wanting to do a small personal ano setup, then the caswell set-ups are ok. They are a bit pricey for what you get but you do not have to source everything from different suppliers. It's kind of that way with all of Caswell stuff, it's a little over priced but a one stop shop. It's decent quality and great for people starting up but if you know what you are wanting and were to find it you can normally get better pricing from other places.

Your biggest expenses will be the rectifier/power supply and depending on how you want to do circulation and cooling. Chillers and pumps can get pricey as well. I will tell you what I tell everyone that wants to anodize. 1. Anodizing is easy to do but hard to be really good at. 2. Don't try and start a business doing paintball anodizing, just have fun with it. 3. practice, practice, practice (go to home depot and buy some scrap pieces of aluminum and run those a bunch of times first)

Also, Caswell forums are full of knowledge from so very good anodizers with lots of experience.
Thanks very much for the info/advice. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll head on over to the Caswell forums and continue my fact-finding. I'll keep the Caswell kits in mind in case my parts sourcing gets too cumbersome.

I like doing my own DIY custom projects and I'd like to have the ability to do my own anodizing to finish them off. Maybe eventually I'd like to make it a business but not anytime soon. The first marker project I ever did got ruined by an inexperienced anodizer, so I'll never subject somebody else to that frustration.