PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM #1
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Ballerofpaint29 is playing at Living Legends III
Ballerofpaint29 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
To everyone who is a vet/ mass breader of leopard geckos, please read.

Alright, so I got another juvenile leopard about 3 days ago, it's freaking amazing, but there's always got to be one perk right?

It has a dislocated/possibly broken back right leg. I have no clue how this could have happened, is there any way i could fix it myself?I was told by people at a local pet store it could possibly be $80-$190 to take it to the vet, I'm 16, and don't have the money to do it. I really want to help this animal.

I've been giving it calcium supplements on crickets and mealies, I don't know how this happened.

Someone help
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 PM #2
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
do you keep it with others/put it in a tank with other leos? they are very territorial and could have attacked it. or do you have any thing in the enclosure that it could have climbed on then fallen off or anything like that?

also you should be giving it calcium all the time not just when they are sick.

post up some more info so we can help.
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 PM #3
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

I'm pretty sure it fell, I give all of my leos calcium supplements every day, I don't see how that one got ****ed up.

Any suggestions on what I can do?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:03 AM #4
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

you didnt answer my question? if its in a tank with other leo's (like it shouldnt be unless it was a breeding group even then it HAS to be all females or females + ONE male) it most likely got attacked seeing as leos fall all the time from heights with no problem(not saying it couldn't have happened but its highly unlikely)

and no, unfortunately all you can do is take it to the vet unless you want it to be in a lot of pain and have it end up possibly deformed

and hate to be the bad guy, but you should be prepared to spend money on vet bills if you plan on keeping a pet, especially since you say you have multiple geckos.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 AM #5
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

It was with another one it's age, same size, minutes older.

i just can't see one the same size doing that.

I'm taking it today though.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:13 AM #6
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
All of this depends on the experience of the keeper in terms of how to go about treating this. As stated above, if you plan on owning a pet, be prepared for vet bills, or to practice euthanasia. Every now and then an animal in a breeding collection gets hurt, and for those of us who make a living from selling herps- paying a ton of vet bills simply isn't a viable or economical option.

That being said- based on your experience level (not much, just saying), you have 2 options:
Vet
Euthanasia
Both are 100% viable. As for the second- it isn't cruel or mean in any sense, and is in my opinion a far better method for any small herp you feel you can not treat yourself. Reptiles are very hard to treat, and you could be throwing money somewhere with absolutely no affects and the leo could still end up deformed or dieing regardless. As a zoology/vet student, I can assure you that at no time in my studies or vet classes have we ever learned or had experience setting and fixing a leopard gecko leg, it simply isn't a common thing, so in all reality- a well versed herp keeping friend would probably do a better job than 99% of vets out there.

You can take him to the vet and see what they say, wouldn't be my choice at all, personally I'd either set the leg myself and splint it with a small piece of toothpick- or I would simply dispatch the animal, learn from my mistakes, educate myself, and try again when I feel the time is right.

Hope this helped.

-Mike
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM #7
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballerofpaint29 View Post
It was with another one it's age, same size, minutes older.

i just can't see one the same size doing that.

I'm taking it today though.
how can it be minutes older when you just got him 3 days ago and had previously owned the other leo? and like i said that doesn't matter...

and i can assume then you just stuck the new leo in with the old one without re-arranging the set up and without quarantining the new leo and obviously not introducing them in a neutral environment? If you would have done some research you would have learned that leo's, like pretty much every other lizard, are extremely territorial and like to be on their own except when breeding and even hatch mates who have never been separated their whole life can turn around and fight for dominance one day and one can kill the other.

lastly, if you plan on keeping it and getting more, do some proper research on keeping them. www.geckoforums.net is a great place to start.

can you post a pic of your set up too? hopefully you don't have sand and are using an UTH instead of a light because lights can stress them out.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 PM #8
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oc_rage

how can it be minutes older when you just got him 3 days ago and had previously owned the other leo? and like i said that doesn't matter...

and i can assume then you just stuck the new leo in with the old one without re-arranging the set up and without quarantining the new leo and obviously not introducing them in a neutral environment? If you would have done some research you would have learned that leo's, like pretty much every other lizard, are extremely territorial and like to be on their own except when breeding and even hatch mates who have never been separated their whole life can turn around and fight for dominance one day and one can kill the other.

lastly, if you plan on keeping it and getting more, do some proper research on keeping them. www.geckoforums.net is a great place to start.

can you post a pic of your set up too? hopefully you don't have sand and are using an UTH instead of a light because lights can stress them out.
No, I got 2 juveniles and I put the 2 in a 10 gallon, my 1 1/2 year old Leo is in a 20 gallon.

As for the set up for the juveniles they have paper towels In the bottom, as well as the UTH tube light or whatever it's called and heat pad along with the overhead lamp.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:31 PM #9
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1tanrush
All of this depends on the experience of the keeper in terms of how to go about treating this. As stated above, if you plan on owning a pet, be prepared for vet bills, or to practice euthanasia. Every now and then an animal in a breeding collection gets hurt, and for those of us who make a living from selling herps- paying a ton of vet bills simply isn't a viable or economical option.

That being said- based on your experience level (not much, just saying), you have 2 options:
Vet
Euthanasia
Both are 100% viable. As for the second- it isn't cruel or mean in any sense, and is in my opinion a far better method for any small herp you feel you can not treat yourself. Reptiles are very hard to treat, and you could be throwing money somewhere with absolutely no affects and the leo could still end up deformed or dieing regardless. As a zoology/vet student, I can assure you that at no time in my studies or vet classes have we ever learned or had experience setting and fixing a leopard gecko leg, it simply isn't a common thing, so in all reality- a well versed herp keeping friend would probably do a better job than 99% of vets out there.

You can take him to the vet and see what they say, wouldn't be my choice at all, personally I'd either set the leg myself and splint it with a small piece of toothpick- or I would simply dispatch the animal, learn from my mistakes, educate myself, and try again when I feel the time is right.

Hope this helped.

-Mike
Well that makes me feel a lot better about this, thank you,

What do you mean by dispatch, euthanize?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM #10
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

Quote:
No, I got 2 juveniles and I put the 2 in a 10 gallon, my 1 1/2 year old Leo is in a 20 gallon.

As for the set up for the juveniles they have paper towels In the bottom, as well as the UTH tube light or whatever it's called and heat pad along with the overhead lamp.
10 gallon is too small for 2 geckos, and like i said, unless both female hatchlings you have to have separate tanks otherwise they WILL fight(still might as females) and its already happened causing your new leo to have a hurt leg.

next, leopard geckos dont need a UVB bulb at all if thats what you mistook UTH for (which stands for under tank heater), and they also dont need an overhead lamp and in fact having all those lights are bad, they are nocturnal creatures and having a bunch of light can stress them out. they live better on just belly heat because they dont benefit at all from heat from above.

and whats your adult on?

please, do your research.

Quote:
Well that makes me feel a lot better about this, thank you,

What do you mean by dispatch, euthanize?
he means get rid of it/put it to sleep/kill it.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM #11
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oc_rage

10 gallon is too small for 2 geckos, and like i said, unless both female hatchlings you have to have separate tanks otherwise they WILL fight(still might as females) and its already happened causing your new leo to have a hurt leg.

next, leopard geckos dont need a UVB bulb at all if thats what you mistook UTH for (which stands for under tank heater), and they also dont need an overhead lamp and in fact having all those lights are bad, they are nocturnal creatures and having a bunch of light can stress them out. they live better on just belly heat because they dont benefit at all from heat from above.

and whats your adult on?

please, do your research.

he means get rid of it/put it to sleep/kill it.
OHHHH damn yeah I have heating pads. Lol

Ok so I'll take the overheads out. So even the red lights are bad?

But now I'm confused. I just got crickets on my way home from work about 20 minutes ago, I put my calcium substrate on them and fed them to the hurt gecko, it ate 8 of them, and the one mealie I gave it. Does that mean the pain is going away?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM #12
T1tanrush
Team Green

Animals are very good at hiding pain. In the wild- the animal that shows weakness will be obvious to predators 'hey I'm hurt eat me', so they will act normal, behave normal, regardless of pain/injury/sickness, just so they don't get picked off as easily. It means nothing.

Yes, red lights are bad as well, I used 0 lights on my geckos when I had them, they are nocturnal, they don't need it.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM #13
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Quote:
Animals are very good at hiding pain. In the wild- the animal that shows weakness will be obvious to predators 'hey I'm hurt eat me', so they will act normal, behave normal, regardless of pain/injury/sickness, just so they don't get picked off as easily. It means nothing.

Yes, red lights are bad as well, I used 0 lights on my geckos when I had them, they are nocturnal, they don't need it.
Well it has been eating at all.

Alright. Us it just because it will burn itself?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 PM #14
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Well it has been eating at all.

Alright. Us it just because it will burn itself?
It has nothing to do with burning itself, it has to do with the fact that leopard geckos should not have lighting. They are nocturnal lizards, using lights on them is stressful and unneeded. I yell at people all the time who keep various nocturnal animals with heat lights, its just a bad idea for the animal.

As for your housing- 10 gallons is indeed too small and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure where exactly you got all of your leopard gecko keeping knowledge- but I'm guessing from a poor source and you need to scrap it and read up.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 AM #15
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Quote:

It has nothing to do with burning itself, it has to do with the fact that leopard geckos should not have lighting. They are nocturnal lizards, using lights on them is stressful and unneeded. I yell at people all the time who keep various nocturnal animals with heat lights, its just a bad idea for the animal.

As for your housing- 10 gallons is indeed too small and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure where exactly you got all of your leopard gecko keeping knowledge- but I'm guessing from a poor source and you need to scrap it and read up.
From a crappy source. That I will. I'm buying a 90 gallon tank today.

Thank you guys for helping me notice I'm a ******* and fix it.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 AM #16
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

what? 90 gallons is WAYY to large for one gecko. you shouldn't house more then one in a tank like i said. what i would recommend is getting 32quart steralite tubs from your local hardware store and setting up each gecko in one of those. they cost about 8$ and are MUCH better for leo's then glass tanks and are much cheaper. get 1 for each leo and 1 heating pad for each, just make sure NOT to stick the pads to the tank, have it so they are barely resting on them because they get really hot for plastic tubs. ill take some pics of how im keeping mine in a sec.

edit- here are some pics.

how i have them aligned. far right is my new pacman frog i just got at the reptile show today.

how i heat them. i only put the plastic tub on like 2/3rd's of the heating pad because of how hot they get.

how the insides look, first is my high yellow

next is my super hypo with an awesome 4spot pattern on its head

happy gecko

and my new pacman frog

he's slightly larger then a quarter.

the leo's will be getting 32qt bins when they are adults, they both still have plenty of growing to do

Last edited by Oc_rage : 06-20-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 AM #17
Ballerofpaint29
Pantalones?

Hey guys, i just wanted to say thanks for all the help, i splinted my gecko's leg with a piece of toothpick and athletic tape and it's completely healed, my leo is eating without me handfeeding it and is walking normal.