PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM #1
ps7ctr31
Shep

ps7ctr31 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ps7ctr31 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Can walking tanks (and robots and mechs) dodge rockets?

Yes, I know they can as I have done it. But the real question is should it be allowed? The argument has been made that dodging rockets is not "realistic" as real tanks can't dodge real rockets. My arguments for dodging are:
  • What in paintball is realistic?
  • If a real tank crew saw artillery setting up and firing on their position, would the tank sit still and let the artillery shells fall as they may?
  • How can a ref tell the difference between a dodge and normal evasive maneuvers?
  • Players can dodge paintballs. They don't just stand still when they hear someone firing at them. With real bullets you wouldn't even hear the sound, you would just be dead.
  • I made a considerable investment in time and money to design and build a walking tank that is lightweight and maneuverable with the intent of bring a fun and exciting new dimension to scenario paintball.
  • If I call my tank a "mech" instead would dodging be ok?

I am all for keeping the game fair but I don't want some rule that arbitrarily limits what I can do and is impossible to enforce. There are much easier and fairer ways to balance the game between tanks, launchers, and regular players. Some example rules that have been in place for years are:
  • Limit the number of tanks or launchers that can be on the field at one time.
  • Limit the amount of ammo that tanks or launchers can carry.
  • Restrict tanks from certain parts of the field.
  • Change the number of rocket or grenade hits it takes to disable or eliminate a tank.
  • Restrict tanks to special missions during designated times.
  • Mark off fill boxes on the tank so paintballs can eliminate tanks.
  • Allow rockets to take out buildings and bunkers.

These rules can all be worked out between the field, scenario organizer, tanks, and launcher owners before game day to ensure fair and balanced teams. My offer still stands to tape a quarter to my tank so First Strike hits can eliminate it.

To the launcher owners (many of you I count as teammates and friends) I say get off your lazy butts and practice. I am not going to stand still just because you can't hit the broad side of the barn. And remember that if the rules against tanks are so strict that it isn't worth me bringing my tank, you won't have anything to shoot at. You can just leave your shiny new launchers at home.

"I don't always wipe but when I do it’s the field with you."
The Most Interesting Walking Paintball Tank in the World
ps7ctr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM #2
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

I'm an AT guy and have no issues with tanks dodging my rockets. If he's quick enough to see me and move out of the way that's an awesome move in my book. This includes walking tank that can jump out of the way of a rocket.

BTW, great job on your Walking tank.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM #3
hardboy1864

Thats a cool looking tank. Looks very light too. Cant wait to exchange air- mail with you.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM #4
r_clarke
Disposable Heroes

ive seen your work 1st hand, And am a proud LAW MEN...

I would suggest that IF your able to dodge a rocket, then make the rule
1 hit-kill, with no disable feature to balance it out
the "fill the kill box" idea works when neither sides have laws

I'm also a big fan of the
any natural/man made bunker is destroyed with 1 rocket hit.
Animal Custom Paintball Gear_HitMan Gear
Psycho Scenario Mask covers

WEB
www.facebook.com/disposableheroespaintballteam
r_clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM #5
oFant0mo
Commanding Officer (HB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardboy1864 View Post
Thats a cool looking tank. Looks very light too. Cant wait to exchange air- mail with you.
Hehe
MVT- Dark OPs 7/GIJOE 2011/MW: VIETNAM 2011/Phoenix II 2011
oFant0mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM #6
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

I havent yet played against a bot tank. I would think if I was good enough to shoot at it and hit it the rules would apply just like any tank. Perhaps one of the better ways to get it is to let it shoot its load first then go after it. They can only hold so many rounds/rockets before they would have to return to the driver or base. I am assuming the remote driver of the tank is not in play so I cannot shoot this person.

Treaddz
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM #7
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

you wont be dodging my tanks cannon. I'll be sure to fire a purple nerf at you

make sure your screen is quality . it wouldnt be fun to get nailed in the mouth with a 230 fps nerf

so the allies are really trading a motorized tank for a pug this ION

no offense to your screen encloser suit target

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 06-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 PM #8
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

You know BlackangelSS I was just making a general comment and not dissing anyone until you chimmed in. I havent heard that the Allies will be using a pug. Far as I know right now we have only two tanks. But if I get the chance we are sending the pug after you and your other tanks because thats all we'll need to compete with you guys. Maybe I'll send in a slinky tank just in case this one runs out of ammo. I am ready for you just like I always will be. If you get me with your new toys I dont care. Thats part of the game. But you can bet I'll find you somewhere with your Pak 40 or in Hardboys halftrack and reak some havoc on you. Maybe I'll have a vid of it so you cannot say nobody has ever taken me out. I built this tank to survive playing at Skirmish and close shots.

Treaddz
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM #9
rdkcby

rdkcby donated to help Peyton Trent
rdkcby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I saw and played against this tank at the G.I. Joe agame at OTP this last year. He is lucky that due to an uneven law count I left mine in the gear bag. I practice constantly against both stationary and moving targets. The thing is with many law players that I have seen is that they want to stand off at a distance and shoot at the tank from distance. This allows the people in the walking tanks to have time to move or "bunny hop" out of the way. Me personally I like to get in close and use distraction as a key element to take the tanks out. What I have found is that it is some times best if you work as a small hunter killer team of 3-4 people and use the the "infantry" to sucker the tank into position for the law gunner.

I don't care if you are able to dodge or "bunny hop" out of the way it just makes me have to work harder and be more accurate with my shots. A challenge which I accept.

The only thing that I don't like is the mutiple shot rule. 1 shot one 1 tank kill.
rdkcby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 PM #10
ace0007

I hit the said walking tank at GI Joe. A lot of AT people forget it's all about moving into place and position to get the shot. It doesn't matter if it walks rolls or flies. Use the cover to your advantage.

PM me for my facebook!
Newly Contracted RTM player
ace0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM #11
oFant0mo
Commanding Officer (HB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnum Tankerman View Post
You know BlackangelSS I was just making a general comment and not dissing anyone until you chimmed in. I havent heard that the Allies will be using a pug. Far as I know right now we have only two tanks. But if I get the chance we are sending the pug after you and your other tanks because thats all we'll need to compete with you guys. Maybe I'll send in a slinky tank just in case this one runs out of ammo. I am ready for you just like I always will be. If you get me with your new toys I dont care. Thats part of the game. But you can bet I'll find you somewhere with your Pak 40 or in Hardboys halftrack and reak some havoc on you. Maybe I'll have a vid of it so you cannot say nobody has ever taken me out. I built this tank to survive playing at Skirmish and close shots.

Treaddz
I guess its safe to admit that there will be a HellBent tank there.. but we arent disclosing much more than that. Angel is just gonna have to sweat :p
Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 AM #12
ps7ctr31
Shep

How did this thread get hijacked already by ION smack talk? Take it elsewhere.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM #13
ps7ctr31
Shep

The tank vs. law rules are about balancing the game. I'll be the first to admit that I won't stand much of a chance going up against 6 LAWS with 200 rockets all by myself. At GI Joe it was apparent from the forums that Cobra wasn't likely to have a launcher and GI Joe would have several. Luckily Cobra was able to borrow one or the walking tank might not have been allowed on the field and the launchers wouldn't have had much to shoot at.

So I would appreciate any ideas on how to keep the sides balanced when writing the scenario rules so we can all continue to use our toys.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 AM #14
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnum Tankerman View Post

Treaddz
I never said another tank never took us out. We got taken out 6 times. one we had no cannon (big mac JF tank at ion 09), one was from behind(shane msb west point) , 4 we where fighting multipe side my side tanks at the same time( we got more on them than they did on us)( Ed from high energy 6x6 tanks those where some awesome firefights)

Its of course possible that we took a few more hits, but i go by who/what the ref said hit us.I take great pride in taking out tanks with our Hetzer tank destroyer without them hitting us .

We look forward to bringing the pain to your foolish walking and slinky contraptions.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM #15
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by oFant0mo View Post
I guess its safe to admit that there will be a HellBent tank there.. but we arent disclosing much more than that. Angel is just gonna have to sweat :p
actually myself and the other German Panzertruppen are sitting back in our chairs smiling.

See you guys at the game

Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM #16
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

As one of the replies indicated lets take our ION smack talk back to the other threads and let the meaning of this post continue.

My last coment on this post! BlackAngel you have no real idea yet what we have planned for you and the gang. Be for warned now that everything is not as it seems to be. Smile now and your be frowning later. Dont break out the cigar yet!

Have a nice weekend!
Treaddz
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM #17
hardboy1864

Just one more for the smack talk.

Cromag we will celebrate with cigars on your behalf. There are many young panzergrenadiers that will break their cherries , earning the their tank destruction badges off of your hide. LOL.

Treaddz we are going to bust your sack !
Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM #18
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

OK, Move the smack to another thread or PM me. BTW, That tank in the pic is now retired to a local field. The new T-464 will be coming at you guys now!! The bugs and smoke have been worked out of it.

Treaddz
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM #19
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

was the lawnmower 250 like 12 feet tall? lol

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM #20
lemieux68

Let's all just let our play do the talking for us.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:17 AM #21
oFant0mo
Commanding Officer (HB)

I think that it is almost gonna boil down to what the Field is gonna allow you to do. If the field says you can do anything in your ability to dodge the rocket.. thats cool.

But its important to bear in mind that a paintball tank is something built with the role of being paintball proof... we arent driving around M1 - Abrams. So you cant really apply physics of tanks to our paintball tanks..