Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM #1
loki1313
I NEED MY MAKER'S

has been a member for 10 years
loki1313 plays in the PSP
loki1313 posts videos on PbNation
loki1313 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
**HOW TO** Polish Your DM/PM Bolt and Beer Can **HOW TO**

Well guys since i have been laid up a little recovering from eye surgery i figured i give the whole polishing the bolt and beer can a try. heres my step by step process WITH PICS. Hope yall like it and it seems to have done exactly what its supposed to and am very happy with the results.

DISCLAIMER- I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR OWN GUN OR GUN PARTS THIS IS MERELY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES AND TO MAYBE HELP SOME PEOPLE OUT. THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR GETTING THIS DONE PROFESSIONALLY.

Ok so to start this out let me say one thing, after doing this for the first time i have learned a few things and will add them in where they are applicable. Now this is a proven mod to most any spoolie type marker to help you lower both your dwell and LPR. This in turn will help with your efficiency and smoothness of your marker. I personally havent done any efficiency testing so please dont ask(im sure someone will though). Only thing i can say for sure is that right now is that i was able to lower both the LPR and dwell and it shoots smooth and consistent, i was getting +-5 for 99% of my shots shooting at 290FPS.

So on to the good stuff. Heres the items i used to complete this project:

Any PM/DM Bolt and Beer Can
1/2 inch wooden dowel
1-Microfiber Rag(mine was used but not dirty, needs to be clean of dirt, grease, and debris)
1-Can of Easy Off Oven CLeaner(I used the heavy duty kind, just saying)
1-Jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish(Available any Walmart or autparts store)
Electric Drill
Scissors
Pliers(needle nose work great)
Knife or other whittling type tool
Small Plastic Cup(anything plastic will do i just had it sitting around and it worked great, just make sure its tall enough to get most of the bolt in it)
Lots of Paper Towels
Bucket of Water or Sink With Running Water
Degreaser/Cleaner
and i think thats it.

Here a few pics of things needed:

To start of remove all orings from your bolt and beer can then use your degreaser/cleaner to remove all the grease/oil on them, get them squeaky clean. Once clean set them aside and grab your 1/2 inch dowel and Drill. Cut your dowel down to around 6 inches long then take a knife( and be careful and dont cut yourself) or whatever and cut one end down so that it will fit into your drill chuck. Try to do it so that the dowel doesnt wobble to much when spinning, a little wobble is fine. LIKE THIS

Now take your Microfiber rag and scissors. Cut one of your rag side off with the strip being about 2 inches wide, and then cut another strip. Take which ever strip your want and then cut it into fourths. Then you will have what looks like this but with four smaller pieces.

Now on to the De-Anodizing. Grab your clean parts, Easy Off Oven cleaner, Pliers, Water, and plastic container. One note on the container, the closer to the sixe of the part the less oven cleaner you will have to use. Start with your Beer Can and place it in the middle of the container, now spray the Easy Off in it and around it till the bubbles completely cover it. Like This:

Now the total time it took for my anodizing to completely come off was 10min. BUT after 5min i would take you pliers and shake it around in the container then pull it out and rinse it with your water. Look at it and see if the anodizing is gone or if it needs more time "baking". Like i said mine took 10min. Once done it looked like this. Notice the difference between the can and bolt in the first pic.

Once the can is done grab it with your pliers and shake it in the cleaner again then rinse it off with water. Take your paper towels and dry it best you can. Now heres a step i found out in the middle of all this. Take your extra Microfiber rag and really wipe it good. Stick it in the inside of the can especially and use some pressure. You will actually wipe off some residue and the can will become a brighter silver color.

Now take the bolt and do the same thing with it. Now i will say what i did was stand it up in my cup and i sprayed it to cover up to the point where the bolt gets the thinnest. I didnt actually cover the whole bolt with Easy Off. Since the end of the bolt doesnt need to be polished i left the anodizing on it for protection, just cause i could. Either way is fine, i just wanted to try it.

Now that your parts are De-Anodized we can start the polishing. So grab your De-Anodized parts, Mothers Mag polish, Microfiber strips and squares, drill, dowel, and the extra piece of rag. Place the dowel in the drill, if you havent already. Take one of the squares and wrap it on the tip of the dowel. Take your Mothers polish and dip your finger in it and wipe it onto the Micro fiber on the dowel. You dont have to put alot of the polish on the cloth a light layer rubbed into the cloth works fine. Also you dont have to cover the whole piece of cloth with it, just enough that when the can is place on there it will have polish in it all the way. Heres a couple pics:

Now take the can and place it on the Microfiber wrapped dowel. Best way i found was to have the microfiber hang over the tip a little bit so you can push it into the can then turn the can onto it. Once on you are ready to start polishing. Place your drill on high if it has it. Grab a hold of the can firmly and pull the trigger. One little note, make sure the dowel is turning the opposite direction that you wrapped the dowel. So if you are looking at the tip of the dowel and you wrapped the Microfiber onto it clockwise you need to have the drill turn counter-clockwise. This will keep the Microfiber from wadding up in the can and the polish will stay in contact with it. Now only polish for about 5 seconds MAX. One other thing is to move the can back and forth a little bit while polishing. Pull the can off and using your extra piee of rag clean the inside of the can out. You will notice some pretty good difference, but your not done. Turn the piece of Microfiber over and repeat the process again. Wrap it, put polish, on put can on, polish and then clean it out. I did mine 3 times like this and its pretty dam shiny and smooth in there

Now clean it up best you can getting into the oring spots and you are done with it. Now onto your bolt. Take the dowel out of the drill and cut a small piece of the square rags you used so that it will wrap around the end of the bolt. Wrap it around the end and then stick it in your drill and tighten it up pretty good but not enough to gouge it or scratch it. Kinda lIke this:

Now grab the strip of Microfiber and place some of the Mothers polish on one end, make sure you put enough so when you wrap it around the bolt there is polish all the way around. You are only polishing the tip of the bolt at this time, not the whole thing. It will end up looking like this:

Now grab the Microfiber firmly and start polishing. Again only for 5 sec MAX and move the rag back and forth a little bit. Also try to place pressure evenly across the rag so you arent putting alot of pressure in one place. Cleanit off with the extra rag and repeat process till you feel its polished enough. I did mine twice and it seemed pretty good.

Now for the rest of the bolt. I want planning on polishing the whole bolt only the parts that touched orings while moving. So i cut the strip in half and did the same thing to the middle part that needs polishing. Same process as the tip. I did end up lightly polishing the rest of the De-Anodized bolt just for looks. You might be able to see the difference from the polished part and the still anodized part at the end:

Now that the polishing is done, CLEAN YOUR HANDS. Seriously, you will have polish on your hands and it needs to be gone. Once your hands are clean take some paper towels or another clean rag and clean your bolt and can off. Replace your orings, put bolt assembly back together, lube it with your preferred grease, I like Slick Honey, and put it back in your gun.

Now go tune your gun and enjoy a smooth operating bolt. With this being the only mod my PM7 has on the internals i was able to lower the dwell to 13, and lower my LPR to 2.5 or 3 turns, cant remember which. It shoots smooth and is still pretty consistent.

I hope you enjoyed this and it helps some people out. If you have any questions ill answer them as best i can. Later Guys
GREED #13

my feedback http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=869074
loki1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 PM #2
dyepb_16

Annual Supporting Member
dyepb_16 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dyepb_16 is an NCPA player
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i can finish my gun!!
dyepb_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 PM #3
loki1313
I NEED MY MAKER'S

no prob man. thought I did good for both my first polished part and how to on here
GREED #13

Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 PM #4
dyepb_16

Annual Supporting Member
dyepb_16 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dyepb_16 is an NCPA player
yeah i just read through it and you did a really good job on directions super clear and good pics. I'm polishing my dm8 body and was having trouble figuring out how to put the final shine on but this should do it. You should post this up in the dm forum also.
dyepb_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM #5
loki1313
I NEED MY MAKER'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyepb_16 View Post
yeah i just read through it and you did a really good job on directions super clear and good pics. I'm polishing my dm8 body and was having trouble figuring out how to put the final shine on but this should do it. You should post this up in the dm forum also.
its in the DM forum now thanks
GREED #13

Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 PM #6
krazynuttz23

Awesome write up!!! Looking forward to do this tomorrow!!
krazynuttz23 is offline   Reply With Quote