Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM #1
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Exclamation Letter from California Paintball Safety Coalition Concerning California Bill SB798

The following letter has been sent by the new California Paintball Safety Coalition, and does an excellent job explaining the importance of this issue:

California Paintball Safety Coalition

Concerning California Bill SB798

Dear Paintball Manufactures, operators, and enthusiasts,

As you may or may not know California State government is looking to pass a new law that will affect paintball in California. Bill SB798 is intended to eliminate an exemption to the current “imitation firearms” law. Currently this exemption allows the Airsoft, BB, and Paintball industry to manufacture black markers/guns that could be considered “look-a-like” firearms; and depending who you talk to, anything that is black with a barrel is a “look-a-like” firearm. A small group of manufactures and operators have become aware of the law and have pulled together to begin fighting the passage of the law or having it amended to exclude paintball from Bill SB798.

Current Working Group:
The current industry group has formed into the California Paintball Safety Coalition (CPSC), which includes following companies: KEE Action Sports, Tippmann, DYE, Kingman, Giant Paintball/Hollywood Sports, and Mercury Public Affairs. Mercury is an outside lobbying firm that the group has retained to help us navigate our complex political system. The owners, CEO’s, and senior executives of the group are all dedicated to making sure paintball is protected and continues to be played in the exciting manner we have all come to love. Add your own business name to the bottom of this letter to show your support and then please forward this letter on.

We need your help
In order for our voice to be heard we need to take the following actions together: first we have developed two generic letters that you as a paintball operator or player can fill out and send into your local representative and state senator. We also have an active Facebook page “Save Paintball in California” please become a friend and pass the link to other players and operators. Also on this page is information on how to find your local representative to mail the letter to as well as a link to the actual bill. The links and info will also be available on the websites of each of the paintball companies listed above. We are also creating posters and handouts that will be available to all California paintball businesses for display.

Is this a real threat?
The answer is yes. The bill has been fast tracked through multiple levels of state legislature and is preparing to go up for a vote on June 14th. Once it passes there will be no going back and a new era of recession will hit both industries, which is why we must issue a call to action to players and industry members alike.

What not to do
It is important that we conduct ourselves in a professional manner as we deal with this issue. This is why we have gone to great lengths to create a form letter for all parties which everyone can use. Our message must be clear and concise if it is to be effective. We are portraying paintball as a recreational game and sport in order to make sure we have a strong position that the political system can stand behind.

Resources:
• Facebook Link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/S...llinCalifornia
• Letter Template (Player) Link: http://bit.ly/BillSB798FormLetter
• Letter Template (Dealer) Link: http://bit.ly/SB798BusinessLetter

Sincerely,

Author Chang (Kingman Corp.)
Billy Ceranski (KEE Action Sports)
Dave DeHaan (DYE Precision)
Dennis Bukowski & Giovanni D’Egidio (SC Village, Hollywood Sports Park, California Paintball Park, Giant Paintball Alpine and Giant Paintball Lakeside)
Howard Kosick (Tippmann Inc.)
John Robinson (KEE Action Sports)

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field

Last edited by raehl : 06-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2011, 05:48 PM #2
Robbieisbobert

Where has it been sent to?
Robbieisbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:24 AM #3
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Anything out of staters can do to help?
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:38 AM #4
Xtreme_Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
Anything out of staters can do to help?
out of staters can also sign the letter and pass it on.
Xtreme_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 AM #5
doochnikka™
Penguins

Whoever dummied up that letter wrote it like a child.

Well **** you too System.

WTB Your Old Markers
doochnikka™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 PM #6
SFBallerF5 (Banned)

SFBallerF5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintball gun's are nothing like bb guns or real fire arm's. I concur that they can be dangerous but even placing a barrel in someone's eye and pulling the trigger will not cause death. The tanks are more deadly then the actual gun. A multitude of company's will take profit losses including ANSgear due to this bill. This whole political bill is nonsense. Airsoft and bb guns are one thing since they are replicated to look like actual fire arms but a paintball gun with a tank and hopper sticking out look nothing like real gun's.

Even without a tank and hopper how many real fire arms do you see with double trigger's? None that's right no real fire arm's have double trigger's. This bill will only cause paintball's popularity to decrease further and within 10 years maybe make it non existent. This can and will aggravate paintball players around California some of which use paintball as an outlet. This will lead to finding other perhaps illegal outlets to replace paintball. Thier is 1 in 100 injuries per paintball player. this whole Bill need's to be reconsidered and considering Paintball Does Not promote violence but provide's an outlet unlike the Governor of California who has been in countless Violent movies such as Terminator and Commando. If gun control is a real issue in California then Making colored paintball gun's is not the anwser. the anwser lie's in what people view on T.V. as well as how people grow up.

If we want to gain attention politically we need to have this argument presented to each and every member of the board in California involved with this bill. Thank You
SFBallerF5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM #7
Mars47
The Right To Arm Bears

Annual Supporting Member
Mars47 donated to help Peyton Trent
Mars47 supports Bob Gurnsey
Mars47 supports our troops
Mars47 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Mars47 is Boss
So....make non-black markers?

Unless I'm reading it wrong....
Mars47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM #8
Madsmokey12

i love the "If I had to play with an orange or pink paintball marker, I would probably lose interest in the game."
Madsmokey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM #9
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsmokey12 View Post
i love the "If I had to play with an orange or pink paintball marker, I would probably lose interest in the game."
Do you play in the woods?

How fun would a scenario game be if everyone was using a neon orange paintball gun that anyone can see from 200 yards away?

Hunters wear blaze orange for a reason. Making everyone carry something that's a bright color really does change the game.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM #10
OG Mooninite

OG Mooninite owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OG Mooninite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OG Mooninite supports Team VICIOUS
did you guys take notice of who is for and against the bill? Its some insignificant mothers group for it, versus the NRA, the California based NRA and a large amount of other large organizations against the bill. I dont think anything is going to happen, especially when the incident in question occoured with a airsoft gun that had no way of being distinguished from a real firearm.

In reality you have to be a retard to not know paintball guns are not real, even when they are mocked up to look like it.

A good point to indicate as well is that this is not going to stop any gun related crimes or mix ups. The kid pulled out a fake gun on an officer and refused to put it down. That kid was incredibly stupid even though his mistake took his life, and if he just listened he wouldnt be dead and this bill wouldnt be around.

Criminals are just going to take advantage of the fact they can now spray any kind of gun with a neon cfolor paint and get away with running around with guns. Essentially this bill says now that they will be bright orange or other colors we can tote them openly and play in the street with them. Criminals would definitely use this to their advantage

Sponsored by:

Revolution Paintball
OG Mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM #11
SebasK44

where do i sign?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 PM #12
wM_Pity
Washed Up & No Skills ^^^

wM_Pity plays in the PSP
wM_Pity plays in the APPA D4 division
this is dumb bt they do it bc of dumb people shooting signs and stuff like that...i hope they dont go through with it. and paintball guns look nothing like real guns unless they are woodsball guns or w.e but if anyone looks at em they dont look real i mean come one put a orange tip on the end or something dont just get rid of me...thats stupid...
wM_Pity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM #13
Slow Z Rally
Gorilla Warfare

Annual Supporting Member
Slow Z Rally has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Slow Z Rally has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Only on the nation will you find a plethora of people that don't understand the significance of this bill. Its obvious that this will affect paintball if all the big boys are getting in the game to fight this bill. Regardless of whether or not it will "only affect black markers" (which by the way I only collect brightly colored markers as it is so this wouldn't affect me..........yet), the California legislature has an awful track record of trying to see how far they can stretch things. I wouldn't be surprised if anti-business California ever passed a bill banning all imitation firearms. I think you are a reh-tard if you don't see the similarities between real guns and paintball markers.

Last edited by Slow Z Rally : 06-12-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Slow Z Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM #14
pballtech1

pballtech1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballtech1 supports Team VICIOUS
pballtech1 is for the Gunfight
how many people have declined this bill
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 PM #15
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Do you play in the woods?

How fun would a scenario game be if everyone was using a neon orange paintball gun that anyone can see from 200 yards away?

Hunters wear blaze orange for a reason. Making everyone carry something that's a bright color really does change the game.

- Chris
It is possible to make a "cover" for guns. I did this for my old light blue shocker and it worked like a charm.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM #16
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
I'm glad that several companies created a coalition to create a face for the industry.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 AM #17
stickyGreen
Paintballer from Latvia

stickyGreen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
stickyGreen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
stickyGreen has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Huh, this is seriously sick...
I`m not from states, but always wanted to live there, especially in California. But this law, is the sickest thing that I probabily have read in some time...
more and more people are getting stupid these days...

We play paintball too!
stickyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM #18
OZZY-YD

I am seriously outraged by this bill trying to be passed in CA. I can foresee if this bill is passed, other states will follow suite. Researching this bill, and finding out the core of it, it turned out that a teenager pulled out a life like airsoft gun out on a Police Officer-The officer responded and shot the kid. http://vaughanmd.com/drairsoft/sb798
Note: YOU DON’T PULL A GUN OR ANY KIND OF WEAPON OUT ON A COP!
With that said, one bad apple is trying to spoil it for everyone. Law makers take one bad example like this, and in the eyes of the law, everyone has to pay for it. Several years ago, they tried to do the same thing with Paintball, with the drive by shootings. Instead of the suspects using real guns, they used paintball markers. The media blew the whole thing out of proportion and the general public wanted to put a ban on all paintball markers. As we know now, this didn’t happen-however there was tremendous amount of red tape, and Paintball was frowned upon for a while.
Both Airsoft and Paintball (woodsball or speedball) has been growing sport. Players from all over the world enjoy this sport very much. As a PB player, I personally would hate to see this be taken away from us. All of us have spent money, time, experience, and effort on this kind of recreation. I would be damned, if it were to be taken away by the stupidity of others.
OZZY-YD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 PM #19
IcyKoolAid
sugar water+purple=grape

tomorrow is the day! but theres no way that this is going to happen.. no way
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM #20
millerkiller
R.I.P Jason Leffler

millerkiller supports Team VICIOUS
millerkiller supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyKoolAid View Post
tomorrow is the day! but theres no way that this is going to happen.. no way
i though it was postponed
millerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 PM #21
MagikF

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerkiller View Post
i though it was postponed
Yes, the meeting has been postponed to a later date. Keep up the pressure in a constructive manner. Make the politicians understand this is bad for the economy and does not increase safety in any meaningful manner. Painting something doesn't mean the officer is going to let their guard down as criminals will just paint real guns in neon colors.
MagikF is offline   Reply With Quote