PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM #1765
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
Good glass on a cheap body is preferable to a good body behind bad glass. That said, a 40D will be fine for a while, but there are only two lenses that will be around for $100: the 18-55mm kit and 50mm f/1.8 that aren't very good. If you want to do paintball or safari or anything that's far away, you'll need a telephoto that will cost more for better quality and faster autofocus. The cheapest is the 75-300 when used, and the 55-250 which is somewhat better.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM #1766
Ironside

Annual Supporting Member
Ironside is playing at Living Legends VII
Ironside posts videos on PbNation
Ironside supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
Good glass on a cheap body is preferable to a good body behind bad glass. That said, a 40D will be fine for a while, but there are only two lenses that will be around for $100: the 18-55mm kit and 50mm f/1.8 that aren't very good. If you want to do paintball or safari or anything that's far away, you'll need a telephoto that will cost more for better quality and faster autofocus. The cheapest is the 75-300 when used, and the 55-250 which is somewhat better.
I just did a basic search on amazon for those, "retail" on the 55-250 new was $209. That's not too bad. used prices were about $50~75 off, so 120-150ish. I'll be fine doing a 40d + 55-250mm in my budget. As far as protecting the equipment, I guess I would need some sort of carrying bag and I've been reading about filters, is it just buy them and use them, no particular brand to buy; or are there very specific kinds that are good for certain camera/lens?
Ironside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 AM #1767
Nic#27
hvhrt

Nic#27 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Nic#27 supports DLX Technology
Getting into DSLR's, got a T3i with a 70/200 F2.8 inbound, plan on a 7D around june. This going to be decent for shooting paintball?

cool luxe
cool gear
Nic#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 AM #1768
prpntblr95
Haters gonna Hate

prpntblr95 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
prpntblr95 supports Team VICIOUS
prpntblr95 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
prpntblr95 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic#27 View Post
Getting into DSLR's, got a T3i with a 70/200 F2.8 inbound, plan on a 7D around june. This going to be decent for shooting paintball?
70-200 is in my opinion the go to lens for paintball. The 2.8 will give you a advantage over f/4 and the 7d is a great body. I have shot along side several people with 7d's and they loved them with paintball.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 PM #1769
Nic#27
hvhrt

Nic#27 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Nic#27 supports DLX Technology
Sounds great, i'll be back.

cool luxe
cool gear
Nic#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM #1770
lancerplayer

I have the crazy idea of starting a part time photography business.

The basic idea is to photograph kids tournaments in soccer and ice hockey. Both are popular in my area.

I would go on site, photograph, upload to my website, pass out fliers to parents with information to my website, they can view preview photos, and order which ones they like. I would print their chosen photos and mail them to their home.

This is where I need the experts to help me out.

I have no experience with photography besides taking pictures with a point and shoot digital camera. My photo editing experience consists of minor work within Picasa.

In terms of an initial investment to get me started, what is a ballpark number it would take me to get this going?

What equipment and software is needed?

My noob mind is telling me the basics of:

- Camera
- Lenses
- Editing software
- Data storage/backup
- Editing computer
- Printer
- Printer paper

Am I way over my head because of my lack of experience?

Please share your thoughts and opinions.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM #1771
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Equipment and software:

Canon camera for sports: $1100-2500
Lense(s): $1k-2.2K or somewhere around there.

Extra camera: same as above
Website/marketing material: $500-1,000 a year.
Software: Lightroom - $200

So basically you looking at a startup cost of 5k-7k depending on what you get as gear that will actually work in those conditions. With 0 experience with DSLR's you are in over your head. It'll take 1-2 years to actually know how to work the camera, processing, and distribution unless you just do it like you would a 40hr a week job for a few months.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 PM #1772
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

StosPhotography is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerplayer View Post
The basic idea is to photograph kids tournaments in soccer and ice hockey. Both are popular in my area.

Ice hockey is going to be a lot tougher, and will cost a lot more money to invest in glass and possibly strobes if you go that route

I would go on site, photograph, upload to my website, pass out fliers to parents with information to my website, they can view preview photos, and order which ones they like. I would print their chosen photos and mail them to their home.

one of the better ways to do this is use a site like smugmug (I think it is $150 now but if I remember correctly the price is going up soon if not already. This site allows you to host photos (including private galleries with password protection), and customers can buy prints thru your site and have them delivered to them. No work from you necessary

I have no experience with photography besides taking pictures with a point and shoot digital camera. My photo editing experience consists of minor work within Picasa.

Get lightroom, and learn to adjust the sliders such as exposure, contrast, highlights, fill light, etc. They have free 30-day trials I believe for lightroom to try out and get used to it before investing

In terms of an initial investment to get me started, what is a ballpark number it would take me to get this going?

Like the post before me, the prices are about right
Canon 1D Mark III: $1,200 and incredible for sports (this would be my choice)
Canon 1D Mark II: $500-700 I think?
Canon 7D: $1,000 about I think and great for sports too

equipment you don't really need much.. you don't need a monopod unless you are shooting anything bigger than a 300 2.8, which you probably won't be since that costs thousands of dollars... software, really just lightroom

- Camera see above
- Lenses 70-200 f/2.8 is a must and can be used well for most sports... for ice hockey, this was the only lens I used... 300 f/2.8 non-is is about $2,100-2,400 and is an incredible lens... other than that for sports not too many... Maybe a 300 f/4 which I think is $900-1,000?
- Editing software lightroom
- Data storage/backup I dont have either.. but you can get 1TB external HD for like $80-100?
- Editing computer I just use my macbook pro....
- Printer dont need
- Printer paper dont need

definitely a little too ambitious. I started using a Canon xTi and the kit lens 75-300mm I think. I used that for about a year or two before making a HUGE jump to the 1D Mark III (was a little bit in over my head.. so it isnt recommended)... I would advise starting with something a little less advanced like a Canon T3i/T4i or maybe even a 7D if you are feeling ambitious
see my notes in bold ^^^

StosPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 AM #1773
prpntblr95
Haters gonna Hate

prpntblr95 supports Team VICIOUS
prpntblr95 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
prpntblr95 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by StosPhotography View Post
see my notes in bold ^^^
Very useful
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 AM #1774
wafflecakee
No Dogs, No Masters

wafflecakee supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerplayer View Post
I have the crazy idea of starting a part time photography business.

- Camera
- Lenses
- Editing software
- Data storage/backup
- Editing computer
- Printer
- Printer paper

Please share your thoughts and opinions.
Don't get into photography if you're thinking this is a money grab.
wafflecakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 PM #1775
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

StosPhotography is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflecakee View Post
Don't get into photography if you're thinking this is a money grab.
right... there are definitely "easy" ways to make money and your ideas are exactly right... youth sports... I photographed my old high school's ice hockey team for maybe 5 games and had parents DYING to get prints, and made a killing through my smugmug, it was cake.. Parents just love to have pictures of their kids, especially on varsity high school teams when it might be their last chance to see their kid play school sports

StosPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 AM #1776
Blazestorm2
I like me

I searched around, haven't seen anyone mentioning m43 cameras. Any particular reason why not? I picked up an O-MD EM-5 a few months back and like it quite a lot.
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM #1777
EOS Player
Underground Local Pro

EOS Player owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EOS Player is for the Gunfight
EOS Player supports Pev's Paintball
EOS Player plays in the APPA beginner division
EOS Player has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quick question for wedding photographers

I'm going to be doing my Aunt's wedding this weekend I am really a beginner photographer if anything but I would like to do the best job possible for her. After looking over the chruch's stipulation I found that I am unable to take pictures once the service has begun and if I would like to take pictures I have to do so from the balcony. I realize that this is a conservative church but jeez. I'm sure there's lots of memorable pictures during the service that my Aunt would like to have. Anyone else have trouble with churches like this or any specific tips? Anything would be great, thanks.

People that feel the need to post up all of the guns they've own(ed) in their signature should probably just kill themselves.

flickr
EOS Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM #1778
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
i've been wanting to get into photography for some time now, i just like taking pictures. with my tax refund on the way i was looking at getting a DSLR, been eyeing the nikon d3200. worth it or should i look at something else? preferably around the same price
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM #1779
Jethro
Angel Master Tech

Jethro is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Programmable Remote Shutter Release

Camera: Canon T3i

I love night photography and specifically getting star trails in my shots. I have come to realize that having the shutter open for a 1 hour exposure causes too much noise as the sensor heats up. What I am looking to do is set up my camera, program the shutter release to take 10-15, 5 minute exposures. I will layer the photos myself.

Looking around I see all different options and prices. Any help or suggestions would be great so I do not spend too much or waste money on too cheap of a device.

Thanks
-Walter (WDP Master Tech #4)
Viva La Cobra (6-1-94 to 6-30-06)

Keeping the Single Trigger legacy alive...for as long as I can.

Google+
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 PM #1780
fallen9210
RIP Xball

fallen9210 is a Paintball photographer
fallen9210 supports Team VICIOUS
fallen9210 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Camera: Canon T3i

I love night photography and specifically getting star trails in my shots. I have come to realize that having the shutter open for a 1 hour exposure causes too much noise as the sensor heats up. What I am looking to do is set up my camera, program the shutter release to take 10-15, 5 minute exposures. I will layer the photos myself.

Looking around I see all different options and prices. Any help or suggestions would be great so I do not spend too much or waste money on too cheap of a device.

Thanks
This thing works wonders...I've never had an issue with it, and its fairly cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Powers.../dp/B003Y35VJA
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM #1781
Spudeey
Oh Yeah

I have no idea what's going on with my 20d.
It won't shoot at all. I've put it on manual focus and auto focus and the shutter won't click. Also, when I turn the camera off, it stays on. The only way to get it to turn off is to take out the battery. The other issue is when it's on if it hit the menu, jump, info, or preview button nothing happens. Basically, my camera is being completely unresponsive.

The camera did fall off the shelf of my dorm closet and I'm afraid this is the issue. Are there any other possibilities? I'm afraid I've completely ****ed up my 20d.
Spudeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM #1782
iix FRITZ
Paintball is Stupid....

iix FRITZ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iix FRITZ supports DLX Technology
Best lens I can get for under 200 bucks? new or used.

I'm a civilized redneck.

Homefield - Wiseguy Paintball

PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG IF YOU SUPPORT THE 2ND AMENDMENT.
iix FRITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM #1783
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

For what system...?

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one.
5px
http://reddogvisuals.com
reddogphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM #1784
iix FRITZ
Paintball is Stupid....

iix FRITZ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iix FRITZ supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
For what system...?
Canon 30D

I'm a civilized redneck.

Homefield - Wiseguy Paintball

PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG IF YOU SUPPORT THE 2ND AMENDMENT.
iix FRITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM #1785
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

50mm 1.8 all day long for $100. If you want a zoom, the 28-135 IS is a great lens, though it may still be running a few bucks over your price range.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one.
5px
http://reddogvisuals.com
reddogphoto is online now   Reply With Quote