PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM #1303
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweaKie View Post
What is a good cheaper flash for my 1d mark ii? ive never really used flashes seeing thats ive always shot paintball and never did studio work or anything that i really needed them for. i recently switched from nikon and had a built in flash for what ive shot that was all i need and i never really used it any. so whats a good cheaper flash i could pick up and how would i set it up to my 1d?

Note that it will be rarely used at the moment until i start doing other work. so i dont need something really amazing just something good.
What's your price range, and were you looking for something manual or TTL?

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one.
5px
http://reddogvisuals.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM #1304
ThursdayLsr
Snipe People In The Woodz

has been a member for 10 years
Flickr is about to expire, looking for something better and more professional looking, but I still want the ability to make galleries for friends/athletes to view at my school. Thinking SmugMug, any other suggestions?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM #1305
Austeller18

Austeller18 is a Paintball photographer
Austeller18 plays in the MiLP
Austeller18 posts videos on PbNation
Austeller18 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThursdayLsr
Flickr is about to expire, looking for something better and more professional looking, but I still want the ability to make galleries for friends/athletes to view at my school. Thinking SmugMug, any other suggestions?
Smugmug is what I would reccomend
Austeller18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM #1306
I need a name

Point and shoot suggestions

I'm in the market for a nice point and shoot camera. I know that nice and point and shoot don't normally go together, but I need something portable that can fit into my pocket.

What I'm looking for:
Clear pictures
Fast processing
Fast focusing
Decent zoom
Ease of use
Portability

So far, the only thing that seems to have what I'm looking for is the Nikon s8200. However, I dont think I would be able to get over where the flash is located and how it can't be pressed down without powering off.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:55 PM #1307
xander2188

xander2188 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
xander2188 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
canon g series

canon s90

dont know **** about nikon
xander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM #1308
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
I personally prefer the Canon's for quality and clarity. I also like the fact they take standard AA batteries. Having rechargeables are nice but when you are limited to only their particular ones it can get expensive. Rechargeable AA's are fairly inexpensive. I have an older 720 IS and it's never failed me.
Dan
Auctionjunkie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM #1309
Grommzz
Ellis Imagery

Annual Supporting Member
Canon Ixus range >>
Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 AM #1310
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

New Nikon 1 series?

Actually pretty decent.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 AM #1311
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
I'm in the market for a nice point and shoot camera. I know that nice and point and shoot don't normally go together, but I need something portable that can fit into my pocket.

What I'm looking for:
Clear pictures
Fast processing
Fast focusing
Decent zoom
Ease of use
Portability

So far, the only thing that seems to have what I'm looking for is the Nikon s8200. However, I dont think I would be able to get over where the flash is located and how it can't be pressed down without powering off.
Moved to the FAQ, but the Canon G Series like xander suggested should be around what you're looking for Best bet would be to go to a camera shop or to a place with a bunch of point and shoots, like Target or Best Buy and to try some out. You'll get better help at a dedicated camera store, though. If you go Target/Best Buy route, do your own research first
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM #1312
I need a name

Quote:
Originally Posted by IplayforRelentless View Post
Moved to the FAQ, but the Canon G Series like xander suggested should be around what you're looking for Best bet would be to go to a camera shop or to a place with a bunch of point and shoots, like Target or Best Buy and to try some out. You'll get better help at a dedicated camera store, though. If you go Target/Best Buy route, do your own research first
I actually already did this. I went to a local camera shop and a best buy. I overlooked the canons as I saw that they only had around 10mp, whereas the Nikon had 16.1. Do MP's really make that big of a difference?

Also, the camera shop pointed me to the portable nikons with the removable lenses. Though these were nice, they were way out of my price range. The second suggestion that they gave was the Nikon s8200, which is why it's my top choice right now.

They seem to be favoring Nikon a little though... Are they decent cameras or is the shop just getting a deal on them and is trying to move some inventory?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 AM #1313
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
As far as image quality goes, MP doesn't mean anything. That's just going to determine how large the photo is. My old camera that I used excessively was 8 MP before I had to sell it.

I've only briefly used a Nikon, but they aren't bad cameras. With some people, it's just preference. Really comes down to what you like more and what you're comfortable with.
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM #1314
I need a name

There's what seems like a great deal on amazon. Canon PowerShot s95 for $229.

So it comes down to the s95 or the s8200....
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM #1315
ion_phantom
#mynameisbubbaa

ion_phantom plays in the PSP
ion_phantom plays in the APPA D4 division
whats the best camera/video camera thats under $800?
ive been looking at the Canon T3i or the Nikon D3100?
also needs auto focus for making videos.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 AM #1316
xander2188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion_phantom View Post
whats the best camera/video camera thats under $800?
ive been looking at the Canon T3i or the Nikon D3100?
also needs auto focus for making videos.
i dont know about the newest ones, but on every video dslr I have used, what little autofocus capabilities there are were ****. If autofocus is so important to you, then you are better off just getting a normal video camera.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 AM #1317
ion_phantom
#mynameisbubbaa

ion_phantom plays in the PSP
ion_phantom plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2188 View Post
i dont know about the newest ones, but on every video dslr I have used, what little autofocus capabilities there are were ****. If autofocus is so important to you, then you are better off just getting a normal video camera.
ya austeller gave me all the info i need. thx tho
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 AM #1318
Austeller18

Austeller18 is a Paintball photographer
Austeller18 plays in the MiLP
Austeller18 posts videos on PbNation
Austeller18 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion_phantom

ya austeller gave me all the info i need. thx tho
Austeller18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM #1319
pbizlife

pbizlife plays in the PSP
pbizlife posts videos on PbNation
Hi I'm a bit new into filming and was just wondering what your input was,I'm looking to pick up a decent camera in the 200-300 dollar range used or new.I would be filming local practices and some local events just wondering what you guys think.
Thank you
pbizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM #1320
xander2188

with that price range you are going to be limited to possibly an entry level camcorder or the video function on a point and shoot camera. If it were me I would try and save up a couple hundred more because that would give you alot more options. Keep in mind ontop of the cost of the camera you will also need a tripod and protection stuff for the camera. The other option is POV cams like a gopro, but that will limit what you are able to get.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM #1321
pbizlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2188
with that price range you are going to be limited to possibly an entry level camcorder or the video function on a point and shoot camera. If it were me I would try and save up a couple hundred more because that would give you alot more options. Keep in mind ontop of the cost of the camera you will also need a tripod and protection stuff for the camera. The other option is POV cams like a gopro, but that will limit what you are able to get.
How about the Sony handycams are they decent i was interested in one of them.or the Nikon coolpix l120 it had me a bit interested,and I would like to start at a entry level camera in my range.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 PM #1322
xander2188

I honestly have no idea. What you should do is shop around on bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, or amazon and find cameras in your price range then look for reviews about those specific models. engadget is a good resource for this. You should learn what the various features are and which of those features are most important to you. You could also try searching for specific models on youtube and vimeo to find sample videos shot with that camera.

Without a tripod or something else supporting the camera, your footage will look shakey and like garbage. Also, using a point and shoot to video paintball is going to be very difficult and the resulting image will not be the best.

Keep in mind I spent about 30 sec looking, but this is along the lines of what I would get if it were me. Also factor in spending atleast 50$ on a tripod or you are going to get a weak and shaky one. You could also try making a homemade steadicam instead of a tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749244-REG/Samsung_HMX_H300BN_XAA_HMX_H300_Full_HD_Camcorder. html

Also be aware that editing HD footage takes a decently fast computer and it will quickly fill your hard drives.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:29 AM #1323
pbizlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2188
I honestly have no idea. What you should do is shop around on bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, or amazon and find cameras in your price range then look for reviews about those specific models. engadget is a good resource for this. You should learn what the various features are and which of those features are most important to you. You could also try searching for specific models on youtube and vimeo to find sample videos shot with that camera.

Without a tripod or something else supporting the camera, your footage will look shakey and like garbage. Also, using a point and shoot to video paintball is going to be very difficult and the resulting image will not be the best.

Keep in mind I spent about 30 sec looking, but this is along the lines of what I would get if it were me. Also factor in spending atleast 50$ on a tripod or you are going to get a weak and shaky one. You could also try making a homemade steadicam instead of a tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749244-REG/Samsung_HMX_H300BN_XAA_HMX_H300_Full_HD_Camcorder. html

Also be aware that editing HD footage takes a decently fast computer and it will quickly fill your hard drives.
Thank you for all the help