PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-26-2014, 04:37 AM #1
Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Building a Custom Ego

So would it be a waste of time to buy lets say...body, frame, board, noid, trigger, bolt, etc etc? I love building my own stuff but didn't know if this is cost effective?

I just got back into the sport and have been reading up on what I have missed out on (2006 and on). I wanted a 05 XSV Ego for YEARS and never got one.

Out of the military now and ready to get this ball rolling!
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 AM #2
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Empire
First of all thank you for your service!

I think you are going to have a hard time trying to find a XSV body by itself, but you could probably find a whole XSV and upgrade it. That's pretty much what I did, I got a stock 06 Dark Ego and upgraded with all newer Eclipse parts, SL3, Cure4, Shaft4, and POPS.

As for it being a waste of time, I don't think it would be and if you enjoy it that's all that matters. Granted you might spend a decent amount of money on it that you could buy a newer Ego with, but you will have your own custom Ego.

Last edited by smokefools66 : 04-26-2014 at 06:13 AM.
smokefools66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM #3
Sinister Angel

It doesn't have to be a XSV ego, just wanted to know if it was worth my time.

I am 90% certain that I want a 2009 Ego due to no QEVs but should I just go for a 10 or 11? SL94 even? I feel a bit overwhelmed when it comes to picking.

I like the look of Egos and I used to have a original etek that felt good in my hand. Geos look like smooth shooters but don't appeal to me.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM #4
Jhult50

I also wanted to build my own ego. Right now I'm currently putting together a Ego 7. I'm doing the "no QEV mod", so there's another option if you don't want QEV's.
I would say build your own. I've been having fun with mine. Sure, it costs a little more, but you can make it how you want it.
Jhult50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 PM #5
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Buying one and putting better parts on it if it is an older EGO like an 05 or 06 could be cool. That's all I could ever see myself doing if I still played. Most of the time when people put the latest inline reg/cure bolt/barrel onto past EGO's it just makes them look bad, and doesn't really make huge changes to the performance IMO, just slight improvements.

From the Ego7 and onward, I don't really think they need a whole lot. There's rare examples like Smokefools66's Dark Ego6 that are really cool, but I think most of the time when people put the latest inline reg/cure bolt/barrel onto past EGO's it just makes them look bad, and doesn't really make huge changes to the performance IMO, just slight improvements. All I'd do to an Ego7 or Ego8 is get a newer Zick ram, and LP valve...maybe new grips if it needed them. Pretty much the same goes for an Ego9 or Ego10.

I'd stay away from getting the latest Cure bolt and putting it on a gun unless you were going to dremel it or something to match the gun's body lines (which is a bit sketchy) because the effects won't be huge, and as said, the bolt will no longer contour to the gun's shape. As for updating the reg/barrel/ASA, only if you were to anno match it all IMO.
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:10 PM #6
Sinister Angel

I found a Black 09 body and a Black 09 frame....I can get a bolt, noid, board, and all other stuff of my own choosing? or is this gonna be a *****?

I found a 10 board for cheap as well and its virtue
Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 AM #7
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
If you're buying a solenoid brand new it's gonna be pricey, and used, you never know, right?

And some stuff you can't really pick and choose from different generations, like Intimidators/Autocockers/some Shocker stuff. I don't think you could put any other solenoid other than the one that was designed for that body. Maybe an Ego10 solenoid? But definitely not an Ego11 or LV1 noid or anything that would make it better.

As for a board, I wouldn't ever put anything other than a Planet board unless maybe for the 05/06's. What Flash makes is better than Tadao, Virtue, etc.

Last edited by C0ck3r_W0RR1OR : 04-27-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 AM #8
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
oops double post.