Community Focus

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Thread of the Week: What would you give for the opportunity...

OK, this is really geared more towards newer/younger players.

And just to throw this out there, Dan, I'll delete any response you give without even reading it. This thread is not for you.

There are at least 3 local teams talking about playing pro next season.

Let's say one of those teams creates a 'practice squad' - a group of players expected to be at practices, but not expected to play (national) tournaments. Practice players would be obligated to ref (if the team refs) and to buy gear (if the team has required gear) and to live up to all the obligations of 'regular' players, would get less field time at practices and, instead of getting the opportunity to compete, would be there to learn.

Certainly not a role for everyone (and, again, Dan, I'll just delete it anyway, so don't bother posting it), but for some people, the opportunity to learn may outweigh everything else.

So the crux of the conversation: Would you be interested in this (quiet, Dan)? If so, why & where are you today in your paintball career? How would you feel about paying while other people played?

If not, but close, what would need to be put in place for you to be interested? Maybe if the practice squad played local events together?

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie

Last edited by J. Stein : 05-25-2011 at 03:38 PM.
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM #2
GreenStreetElite01
Dude, these are isotopes

GreenStreetElite01 plays in the PSP
GreenStreetElite01 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GreenStreetElite01 plays in the APPA D4 division
I for one would be interested in something like this in theory as long as there was the possibility of competing locally with the rest of the practice team. Learning and getting better is great but I'd still want to actively compete too.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM #3
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
who is the 3rd team?

I know I am old and shouldnt be posting but this is how i would look at it:

If you are practicing with the Pro squad you are helping them win or at least be better...therfore when they win, you win..kind of like the movie RUDY. you are an important reason why they won, without your being there for those practices they wouldnt be in the same spot.

Also, look at the paintball season....lets say out of 30 weekends 4 are at events. Your practice days to event days ratio is WAY out of whack. you are getting TONS of play time (granted not at an event) but practice time. If you can overlook not playing in the events and the value of constant play and with a pro team noentheless, then there should be no reason not to jump on it.

If a slot opens up you are in a prime spot to slide into it. I mean seriously would you rather be part of an organization that is Pro, or winning local 5man events.

Il tell you if I was told today that I would be playing single A baseball for the yankees instead of me tearing up the RI amatuer league...I would quit my job in a heartbeat (well realistically just takje a leave of absence haha)

those are my thoughts...

so to the young guys please read....being associated and practiing with great payers although not very rewarding in trophies and playing events...will make you what you should be striving to be...that is the best and on a REAL team...and ultimatly is rewarding in the long run.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM #4
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
3 teams?
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:12 PM #5
trogdor444

please do not lump dan in section 8, he does not play for us

Section 8
trogdor444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM #6
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
Pro teams get a better brake on stuff than lower divisional teams, even with a pro team making money off me I bet they could offer better than wholesale cost for ordering say, one gun. We get a little bit of help from sponsors in return for something we give back to them, if a pro team is giving you a deal close to what they get and the money they earn goes towards making your team better why wouldn't you do it? The only better deal would be having everything paid for but not even all pro teams get that deal. You get the top level play and a great deal plus the obvios headroom of moving up to pro in trade for knowing they make enough off you to keep the team around.

I guess depending on how the team fees are but if you have team required guns and gear and you can buy 20 full set ups from one or two companies over all the deal would be really good. Plus the value of labor from the lower squad, 8-10 extra hands when it comes time to fufill your end of a sponsorship bargain means you get to have more play time.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM #7
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
why isnt dan allowed to express his opinion. is it cause hes white
NeCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM #8
cngpballer
Not failure, Epic Failure

cngpballer supports Team VICIOUS
cngpballer supports Sherwood Forest
cngpballer posts videos on PbNation
cngpballer supports Pev's Paintball
I would. I love to play better players as much as possible. Currently, I am ranked D5 and this is my first year of 5man. My last tournament I played up in D3 xball. I love playing the best competition possible. Playing with Pro caliber players would be a great experience.
Need EKK gear? I got it! Pm me for details
F/S/T Grills. Bring me flex's or profits.
cngpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM #9
bshort524
All Grey! Sweatsuit!

bshort524 supports Cereal Killerz 2
bshort524 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bshort524 supports Team VICIOUS
bshort524 plays in the APPA D3 division
didnt you have a practice squad like this in earlier years Jeff? I personally would be interested in something like this if the practice squad wasn't just that, a practice squad. I like what LIFT is doing, building a D3 team for them to practice, teach, all the while allowing them to shoot/wear similar gear as LIFT and are still competing at national events.
Team No Name Kids #3
PPTF
Matt's Outback
Kee/Empire
Raza Paintball
bshort524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 PM #10
young1

young1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
young1 is for the Gunfight
practice squad=foot in the door and a possible spot on that roster in the future.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM #11
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
I would probably jump on that in a heart beat. Right now in my paintball career is playing locally and soon nationally. The reason I joined the team I am on now is because when I left my old team I believed that this was the best spot open at the time, 187 and the canes had a full roster. If I had a chance to be on a professional teams "B" squad, with a possible chance to be on the pro team, I would jump on it in a heart beat. I play the sport for one thing, to climb the divisional ladder as high as my mind and body will allow me to. And practicing a pro team and being around the overall structure of a pro team would help me reach that goal faster. A side note, what is the third team that plans on going pro??
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM #12
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
3 teams?
NEX, Canes, 187 is my guess
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM #13
Eaglesnation36

Eaglesnation36 supports Team VICIOUS
Eaglesnation36 posts videos on PbNation
Eaglesnation36 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Eaglesnation36 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would still go for it because it is a great opportunity to learn from the best players out there
Eaglesnation36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM #14
Skunkable
cRew

Skunkable plays in the PSP
Skunkable owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Skunkable plays in the APPA D3 division
Skunkable has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think being on a "B" squad would be something huge. No you don't get the glory per se by being on the "A" squad but first of all you play a role in helping that upper level team stay competitive by helping out at practices, at events and anything else to help keep them in top performance. But by being on the "B" squad you are constantly exposed to that upper echelon of local players which in turn should help you to become a much better player and possibly in the run of things better your chances of one day playing at that level. I'd call it basically a farm team for lack of a better term, plus it gives the A team a pool of some choice players to pick from if the need arised that they could basically mold and form as they see fit.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 PM #15
tSinc

When I joined NEX back in 2007 I was offered, and accepted, a spot as a practice player - the eighth player on the team.

Back in 2005, when I began playing paintball, I understood that it was something I wanted to pursue seriously; this was my edge. It wasn't just an idea to me, or a fantasy; I genuinely felt that I knew what it took, as far as effort goes. I loved the fact that I was 14/15 years old playing in such a profound environment, making a name for myself as quickly as I was (well, the 'name' wouldn't actually follow suit until I began competing, but Boston Paintball employees took notice of me during my rec' days).

My tournament paintball experience is as follows: I played the entire 2006 season with Boston Armada up until the last event, BONE, where I parted ways with my roots to join D&D Factory. The following season, in 2007, I played the first two events in the Intermediate division of the NEPL with the same guys I played with on D&D (5-man), plus some guys from Affliction, but yet I had never had the opportunity to play at the national level until I tried out for "Unknown Kidz," a brew of local players competing in NPPL Boston (D3). My tryout was at Fox 4, back when Dave had 7-man, mix and matched bunkers, and the most ballin' rotations in New England at the time. I think I made the team after the first, maybe second game, but had no idea that NEX was also watching me. Towards the end of the day Benny, and I think Hurd, approached me to ask if I'd like to join NEX after NPPL Boston.

So, back to this: when I joined NEX I was a practice player; I was going to work for a starting spot. Personally, this, versus being given a starting spot, was far more comfortable to me. The idea of earning my role on NEX had its own securities: I wasn't going to get cut for failing, because failing was learning; all I had to do was show that I could improve on my own. It was great - all I had to do was listen, watch, and learn. I was surrounded by a majority of the best divisional 7-man players New England had to offer and all that was required for me to learn was my presence, a good effort, and a good attitude.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT... being a practice player can eat at your soul; it can lower your esteem. There are times when you feel you've achieved what's been asked of you, in a general sense - that you're ready to be a starting player, but the team doesn't agree. You need to respect that. No matter what. If you're doing it right, just keep doing it. What is meant to be will fall into place. I just wish I could have applied the patience I have now to the past, because I (somewhat) became an example of this foil.

Overall, being a 'practice player' is a great opportunity. You have the ability to turn heads, and generate a solid reputation for yourself without facing the consequences of failure that a starting player has. And when the time comes for you to be promoted it seriously serves as a revelatory event in your life, not just in the realm of paintball, but in developing your character, understanding yourself, and feeling accomplished.

We're bringing NEX back to where it was, and for anyone interested in being a practice player CONTACT ME! We will certainly entertain the idea for many New England prospects.

Last edited by tSinc : 05-25-2011 at 10:50 PM.
tSinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM #16
tSinc

If you're passionate for paintball, and you're not fooling yourself when you say you have the drive, then you will never regret signing onto a pro, or pro-caliber team, as a practice player.
tSinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM #17
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tSinc View Post

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT... being a practice player can eat at your soul; it can lower your esteem. There are times when you feel you've achieved what's been asked of you, in a general sense - that you're ready to be a starting player, but the team doesn't agree. You need to respect that. No matter what. If you're doing it right, just keep doing it. What is meant to be will fall into place.
what he just said.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie

Last edited by J. Stein : 05-26-2011 at 11:03 AM.
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote