Community Focus

Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM #64
black wolf

Annual Supporting Member
black wolf is playing at Living Legends V
black wolf is playing at Living Legends VI
black wolf posts videos on PbNation
Exclamation

MY ONLY COMPLAINT Was The Event was too AWESOME!!!!

A few to many tape colors, and RPG issues bearly slowed down the game, but the Refs and staff were polite, and absolute Pros!!!

Paul your the man, CPX did thier thing! It went smooth as silk, and my men not paying for parking made them alot more Happy, and the close placement of the Vendors and NPPL gave me good time to do a decent Meet and Greet, even the Beef cart girls were nice and friendly to Everyone as compared to the painted girls with attitide... It was a pleasure running your field for 2 days as THE DUKE!!!
A heads up on Bikini contest Judges would have been nice hehehe

VIPER what can i say, Bravo! The prep work with ammo boxes, and rumble press buttons was Outstanding, Snake did a GREAT job, and you kept me on my toes at all times... But i apologize if i didn't play as much as expected, my HQ tent never slowed , i didn't even eat either days i was kept so busy making sure my rumbeles and attacks went smooth, not to mention the little surprises on Sunday LOL, maybe little black and white maps printed for Pre Regs next year, i printed out several for my staff, but i was limited.
HOOYAA my brother, thank you for asking me to do that, I hope i did OK as a General!

PBNATION i didn't see you guys out like last year i was dissapointed, was hoping to meet more of you

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the hard work, i'm going to sleep now for a week
add me as a friend on FACEBOOK guys, would enjoy meeting you all again

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1022831751

-WOLF
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM #65
slayer0704
(\ /)

slayer0704 donated to help Peyton Trent
slayer0704 helped look for balloons
slayer0704 is playing at Living Legends III
slayer0704 is playing at Living Legends V
I only have a few suggestions....because the event was nearly perfect imo.

#1. Bring back player "packets". I was quite surprised when I went to go pick up my "packet" just to be handed my player badge, a tiny zip tie for my tank, and loose paint tickets. The simple envelope we were given with our badge, paint tickets, air pass, map, rules, and lanyards worked much better, and made it way easier to keep track of everything.

#2. Trash cans at the insertion points.
They were there at ll3, but nowhere to be seen at ll4. Being able to bring a bottle of water to drink while waiting to re-insert helps greatly to keep players on the field longer.

#3 Have the refs read Viper's Rules. At the chrono station saturday you had 2 refs yelling "PLEASE CHANGE YOUR GUN TO SEMI AUTO, THIS IS A SEMI AUTO EVENT ONLY!". If I remember correctly, didn't Viper say that any mode was allowed, as long as it was capped at 13bps? I know you were at least allowing modes that yield no more than 3 shots from the first 3 trigger pulls.

I will also be beyond happy if you guys include a lanyard with the players packet like you did at ll3....It would have saved me $50 this year...

I had a blast this year, and will most defiantly be attending next year
slayer0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 AM #66
Deadmeat99
Ramping is for fat people

Annual Supporting Member
Deadmeat99 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Not sure how many Legends made it this year, I realize time was a premium before the game, but there was no here are your Legends so i could at least track them down by looks as in years before.

"Originally posted by aresfiend: "The extra ounce and a half is making me a terrible player" said no one ever."
Deadmeat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 AM #67
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by black wolf View Post
MY ONLY COMPLAINT Was The Event was too AWESOME!!!!

A few to many tape colors, and RPG issues bearly slowed down the game, but the Refs and staff were polite, and absolute Pros!!!

Paul your the man, CPX did thier thing! It went smooth as silk, and my men not paying for parking made them alot more Happy, and the close placement of the Vendors and NPPL gave me good time to do a decent Meet and Greet, even the Beef cart girls were nice and friendly to Everyone as compared to the painted girls with attitide... It was a pleasure running your field for 2 days as THE DUKE!!!
A heads up on Bikini contest Judges would have been nice hehehe

VIPER what can i say, Bravo! The prep work with ammo boxes, and rumble press buttons was Outstanding, Snake did a GREAT job, and you kept me on my toes at all times... But i apologize if i didn't play as much as expected, my HQ tent never slowed , i didn't even eat either days i was kept so busy making sure my rumbeles and attacks went smooth, not to mention the little surprises on Sunday LOL, maybe little black and white maps printed for Pre Regs next year, i printed out several for my staff, but i was limited.
HOOYAA my brother, thank you for asking me to do that, I hope i did OK as a General!

PBNATION i didn't see you guys out like last year i was dissapointed, was hoping to meet more of you

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the hard work, i'm going to sleep now for a week
add me as a friend on FACEBOOK guys, would enjoy meeting you all again

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1022831751

-WOLF
Looks like you did okay!!

Dan
Auctionjunkie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM #68
oldpbnewb

As far as maps go, they were readily available online. My brother and I printed copies out and did the poor mans lamination on them. Goes along with the "being prepared" comments about bringing water with you. I used my empty tank pouch to carry a bottle of gatorade with me. It would have been nice to have some available at or near the respawns though.

I thought it was a good event. One thing that I think would be awesome, but is more field oriented vs game oriented, is some sort of covered area at or near the respawn. It wasn't as bad on Saturday because it was overcast, but on Sunday, it would have been great to have a little shade and maybe even a bench or something to sit on. Doesn't seem like it would be that much of a deal to have some sort of netted tents near the respawns to hang out in until the next respawn opens.

Opening up the area between Bedlam and the Hyperball field really helped keep it from log jamming at the usual choke point along the road.

There definitely were fewer Legends there this year, or at least less time was spent introducing them. While I enjoyed actually seeing some of them last year, I didn't necessarily miss standing in the glaring sun for an hour or so listening to all of the intro's.

Overall great event.

Last edited by oldpbnewb : 05-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.
oldpbnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM #69
Crookeye

Crookeye supports Empire
Crookeye is All In
Crookeye is All In
oh 2 thins i forgot...

not enough trash cans. sometimes it seemed i had to walk around for 5 minutes just to throw something away. it's not a huge deal, but it having more would help keep the place clean and help out the staff when it comes time to clean up.

i never got to be in one of my gangs rumbles... i never knew when they were goin on. we had radios but we apparently missed a lot of our commanders orders. maybe at vipers tent an hour before a rumble it could be listed? or at our generals tent. i know it's partly our fault but it just sucks i never got to take part.

Boss Paintball Products
Crookeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM #70
T9Ranger4Life
College PaInTbAlLeR

T9Ranger4Life owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
T9Ranger4Life owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
T9Ranger4Life is an NCPA player
T9Ranger4Life plays in the APPA D4 division
T9Ranger4Life is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer123.jake View Post
It was my first time to living legends, and definitely won't be my last. On the first and second day my team and i came late so my suggestion might already implemented.

Do you guys give out a mini-map to the players? I saw a couple guys near the HQ carrying small (index card sized) maps and i thought it would be great for those to be handed out to anyone that wants one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynman View Post
Friday night pump was the best part of my weekend. Make sure to do that again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkiller97 View Post
My only complaint is the rocket launcher rules. I wouldn't have minded the whole dying thing when you are hit or your bunker is, but each ref it seemed like had a different rule. One part of the field the rocket could hit next to me and I was dead and in another I wasn't. Next year have all of the refs use the same rule. I loved everything else and I will be back next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
The water girls were not on the play field. Something great would be "water tickets" similar to paint tickets. Each gets you a bottle of water at a resertion point.

Other than that, fantastic event yet again. Thank you Paul and Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat99 View Post
Not sure how many Legends made it this year, I realize time was a premium before the game, but there was no here are your Legends so i could at least track them down by looks as in years before.

Just thought I'd point out all these things again. Loved the event, my 2nd time going, just a few minor things of my own that need to be changed/improoved upon...

1) If a team has the other team pushed ALL the way back towards the other side of the field, there should be closer reinsertion points. It was pointless for us (Duke) to do extra walking for the work we put in to move up that far

2) Refs need to know the rules for rockets. I personally saw our team shooting rockets, them hitting the building, people running away after the hit, and the refs not call them out. I also saw refs not elimitating everyone in the 20ft radius. they all should be breeifed on the rules especially the game changing ones like this.

3) Have the squad names, if any next year, on the name tags...

But overall a great event, thanks.

Blue Lightning Luxe 2.0d - Spire - Ninja 68/45
$$$$ CLEAR OUT SALE $$$$

Proud Supporter of:
Iowa State Paintball ----- Guerrilla Air ----- RAZA ----- ANSgear.com
T9Ranger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 PM #71
gspn

gspn works for a Paintball manufacturer
From a Vendors point of view and taking in all of the comments players had while in our compound..

Excellent event, great food, amazing staff, good paint, well-organized and glad to see the vendors were closer to both LL4 and NPPL sites.

Good times were had by all and thanks for being gracious and hospitable hosts!

Greg
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM #72
Sean@smartpartswest
Living Legends May 18-20!

has been a member for 10 years
Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends III
Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends V
Sounds like everyone had a blast.. It makes me feel all warm, fuzzy, and proud... that is for sure. I will be there next year and I will be a lot more involved. There were legends there, there just was not the part where they got introduced during the opening ceremony due to a little rain. There will be more next year as I will be on it way ahead of time!

Myself and Paul started this game as an idea and pulled off the first game with only 3 months of preparation... and every year it just keeps getting better. I personally thank all of the players for helping this event get better every year. And it sounds like this was the best by far out of previous events!!

A special thanks to Paul, Mike and Ray Dagnino. I thank you for shutting down your field for a few days and allowing everyone to take over your field to play, not to mention for always being more organized and on the ball every year. I want to thank Viper for being proactive in always testing and pushing things to make this event better and better.

See you all next year.

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.cpxsports.com
www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
Sean@smartpartswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM #73
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Lots of ways have been tried, some work better than others.

Not too many tank owners or RPG players would like limited ammo. MXS started that and the whining was considerable... Whether you spend $1000 on a marker, bazooka or tank, you want to be able to PLAY with your toys at a game... Would anyone tolerate limiting players to 500 rounds of paintballs? To make it "fair" to slow down the 15 bps semi auto tournament markers? The tankers and RPG players feel pretty much the same way...

Cannons are Gas Hogs to start with. A 68x 4500 gives you maybe 10 rounds so it is self limiting as a RPG player. You would naturally conserve your AIR rather than Nerfs for high value targets only as a RPG player.... For RPG players limiting ammo is a non issue. It is already limited....

Depending on the field brush and layout you lose a LOT of Nerfs. My RPG runs about 50% for the weekend. Maybe 10 Nerfs out of 20 I started with. As a grunt, I can carry only so many Nerfs that I can use quickly. About that 10 nerfs is about all my pockets and pod carriers can hold.. I would keep the rest at the insertion station unless I was worried about people swiping them.

My autoloading cannon in the tank runs about 75% loss because you can't jump out of your tank and go searching for Nerfs in the brush.... Plus you are watching your target, reloading, etc. and not where those Nerfs went that MISSED.... Like finding a golf ball in the rough. You lose more than you find. At $3-5 a Nerf it is like burning though a case or two of paint. You just don't go crazy blasting a 5 dollar bill out you cannon each time you shoot. Well, maybe I do with the autoloader but I'm getting over it....

I have been in tank on tank engagements that exchanged 10 plus rounds each. Fortunately, never ran out of Nerf Ammo before the firefight was decided. Tankers LIVE for tank on tank engagements and running out of Nerf ammo because of a rule would leave a bad taste in the tankers mouth. So limiting ammo for a tank is a problem from a tank on tank point of view.

I have been assigned tank missions to destroy very large structure that took up to 20 rounds not counting misses. I was swapping air tanks from my marker to my cannon and trying to get one of MY infantry to give me THEIR air tank unsuccessfully. The last shot was a blooper that went 15 feet and destroyed the last wall and myself.... I had two Nerfs left when the mission was completed.

With so many RPGs on the field these days, tanks survivablilty just to spend a decent amount of time on the field is an issue. I see no reason to limit Nerf ammo in a tank. The RPGs invariably get the FIRST SHOT. The tanks NEED to be able to defend themselves from RPG players that missed. Not being able to blow up a bunker holding a RPG player reloading or a TREE that he is hiding behind while reloading is KEY to the tanks survivability.

If a tank can roll down the field blowing up every bunker with 1 or two players in each, then that falls more into the category of TACTICAL ERROR by the other team by not having RPG players, satchel charges, grenades, dyanamite, etc to prevent that scenario. If you want realism as part of the game, that would be a correct outcome resulting from a Tactical Error....

Tanking and Anti Tanking is and should be Darwin-istic by nature. You learn by dying over and over..... It is called raising your SKILL level. Experience.

I played as a demo player at a Viper game in Texas where the General was issuing Nerf ammo with the demo role player missions. I was fine with that. There were a limited number of demo role players that I'm pretty sure equaled the number of RPGs that showed up. (About 10 years ago)

But there were no tanks in the game...

An occasional helicopter. Actually scared the begibbers out of a bunch of kids in a transport helo by charging the helicopter and barrel tagging it per the rules. They were 'flying' right by my bunker and I didn't want to shoot them point blank with a Nerf. Glad Viper had that rule. He does a LOT of things the right way...... Always a good game - win or losing side.

Anyway, I did not feel the need to use Nerfs to blow up bunkers to reach the mission target. Sunday we had a surplus of ammo and we got more liberal with their use as I recal.

So a specific Nerf color (Orange) for demo missions ONLY and use ANY color for bunkers, helos, tanks, could be workable.

If the rumors are true that Nerfs are no longer in production, we have to come up with a NEW cannon round anyway.

Back to the Future! Styrofoam cups and 20 paintballs......

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 05-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:45 PM #74
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by T9Ranger4Life View Post
1) If a team has the other team pushed ALL the way back towards the other side of the field, there should be closer reinsertion points. It was pointless for us (Duke) to do extra walking for the work we put in to move up that far
The thing you have to be careful of is only seeing things from the players' perspective, just as I must avoid only seeing things as a producer. The problem with what you propose is this; if your opponent was having a hard time holding you back with your regular spawn point, they will surely not get out if we spawn you closer to their base. What you have issues with is actually factored into play to help keep things moving and allow everyone to battle in all parts of the field. I wouldn't think it would be much fun if you pinned them in, followed by us giving you a further advantage by spawning you right on top of them, and that ended up being the game for hours...that being you shouting fish in a barrel per se. Now, reverse the situation; imagine you are pushed back into your corner of the field, and then we begin inserting them right on top of you.

Everyone wants to battle in the fort, and in Armageddon, and in Bedlam. We are working hard to make sure everyone gets to and that the games stays fluid...not static.

Quote:
2) Refs need to know the rules for rockets. I personally saw our team shooting rockets, them hitting the building, people running away after the hit, and the refs not call them out. I also saw refs not elimitating everyone in the 20ft radius. they all should be breeifed on the rules especially the game changing ones like this.
This is about the forth time this has been brought up. If you read back a ways you will see the answer to this.

Quote:
3) Have the squad names, if any next year, on the name tags...
Printing, numbering, cutting, laminating, and sorting the badges begins well before the event. They aren't done on the spot. The system was set up as it was to allow the commanders to balance the numbers and teams on the gangs. After the walkons were added. I think they did a great job at this. As mentioned when this was answered earlier a couple of times in this thread, we have plans to address this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpbnewb View Post
There definitely were fewer Legends there this year, or at least less time was spent introducing them. While I enjoyed actually seeing some of them last year, I didn't necessarily miss standing in the glaring sun for an hour or so listening to all of the intro's.
The rain hit and many players, as well as most of the Legends, dove for cover. In the interest of playability we tried to cover as much of the rules as we could before we lost everyone. Next year we will surely do the opening ceremonies as planned with all the Legends on stage.
ViperScenarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:55 PM #75
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookeye View Post
i never got to be in one of my gangs rumbles... i never knew when they were goin on. we had radios but we apparently missed a lot of our commanders orders. maybe at vipers tent an hour before a rumble it could be listed? or at our generals tent. i know it's partly our fault but it just sucks i never got to take part.
Good idea.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM #76
freestyle141
Because Racecar

freestyle141 is playing at Living Legends VI
-More chronos(seems to be taken care of next time)
-Could you announce insertion window times at the staging area, I mean I guess I could wear a watch though? I missed the insertion window many times by under 1 minute. If I knew it would be close I could have easily ran to where I needed to be so I didn't have to wait another 10 minutes.

Paint shot AWESOME compared to last year. Straight and it broke on people.

Opening the netted pavilions next year would be a good idea, instead of 50 people standing behind them. Hopefully you will also toss up more bunkers in that area so it can be played better.

Great event though. Cant wait for next year.

CCM gloss red s6.5 #40
Dangerous Power Fusion FX
freestyle141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:48 AM #77
hawk5755
London Lewis

Annual Supporting Member
hawk5755 plays in the PSP
hawk5755 donated to help Peyton Trent
hawk5755 is playing at Living Legends VII
hawk5755 is an NCPA player
hawk5755 is an NCPA National Champion
hawk5755 plays in the APPA D2 division
More idiots for sure...
Great event I'll definitely be back next year!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 AM #78
r.j.t.

I must say that I was impressed by CPX's operation and Viper's production.
Sportmanship was very good on both sides.
As to Legends that were present there were many oldtimers who noone knew were there. I ran across an Unknown Rebel, the Rebels were the first NSG champs in 1983, who I have not played against since 1986 at the NSG nationals.

Chrono's were an issue and that has been addressed from what needs to be done by the field. Put more chrono's with 1 ref per 2 chronos for a 2 hour window before the game, same man hours for the refs over a smaller window.

From the player's, a little chrono manners should be used, do not hog the chrono tweaking your marker when you get up to the chrono step aside and let the next man up. Also if your first 10 shots are hot more than likely the next 20 you shot will be hot too. And remember to shoot at least 3 round down range to settle your marker in after making and adjustment.

Had a great time and was very impressed by the overall operation.

R.J.
Nashville RidgeRunner
r.j.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 AM #79
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yeah, a watch syncronized with the insertion clock is very useful.

We can get real Aggressive making a push at 10 after the hour because we will be right back in the game. Setting off a satchel charge in the HQ area right after an insertion can take out their whole insertion and cripple a team for 15 minutes.

Like making love, timing is important....

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM #80
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

If you play Viper events get an atomic watch. That is the time we are all operating on.

The clocks at the insertions...atomic clocks
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM #81
pballer8793

pballer8793 is playing at Living Legends III
pballer8793 is playing at Living Legends V
pballer8793 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pballer8793 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Chrono line needs to be shortened up. I know chronographs aren't cheap but if you rented some for other local fields or bought a 5 to 10 hand held ones it would make the event much smoother.
pballer8793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM #82
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Already brought up and addressed a number of times in this thread.

We really, really promise we will take care of it.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 PM #83
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer8793 View Post
Chrono line needs to be shortened up. I know chronographs aren't cheap but if you rented some for other local fields or bought a 5 to 10 hand held ones it would make the event much smoother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
We really, really promise we will take care of it.
I have an idea or two on how to handle that as well. The poles and netting will already be there, so it wouldn't be too difficult to build a 2nd chrono area for the event.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM #84
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

We'll talk about it when we start making plans for LL5. BTW...your temporary netline was AWESOME this year! Thanks for doing such a great job setting it up!