PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 PM #1
Phonecheck1

Phonecheck1 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Phonecheck1 supports Empire
axe owners question

Hey i was seeing comments on what axe owners think. Is a high pressure or low pressure tank better for the axe?
Phonecheck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 PM #2
paintball_fanatic123

The manual recommends a mid to low pressure tank to be easier on the reg. there is no difference in performance and I run both on my axe. No issues with either, all comes down to personal preference. With lp you can run the tank dry, with hp you can drop your pressures lower easier. This is what I have found. Hope this helps!

Immaculate Barrel Sale!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4351985

Spire sale! Rares, 260s, Low Prices, preorder available!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post83703505
paintball_fanatic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM #3
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_fanatic123 View Post
With lp you can run the tank dry, with hp you can drop your pressures lower easier.
No and no. Your HP reg doesn't get to 850 PSI and go "Well, that's it for today guys". You'll be able to shoot just as far into an HP tank as you will with an LP tank. If there is ANY difference it'll come after you're getting bounces on rocks from 3 feet away. Likewise, your reg in your gun doesn't decide that being put under more stress will let you drop your pressures lower.

With the Axe the pressure variations between regs doesn't matter one bit. However, the manufacturer of the reg does, but that's only in consistency and is mostly up to the user.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 AM #4
imped4now
BTFU

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
No and no. Your HP reg doesn't get to 850 PSI and go "Well, that's it for today guys". You'll be able to shoot just as far into an HP tank as you will with an LP tank. If there is ANY difference it'll come after you're getting bounces on rocks from 3 feet away. Likewise, your reg in your gun doesn't decide that being put under more stress will let you drop your pressures lower.

With the Axe the pressure variations between regs doesn't matter one bit. However, the manufacturer of the reg does, but that's only in consistency and is mostly up to the user.
Correct.

People need to actually learn how regulators actually work prior to responding to questions such as this.

I prefer a ~500 psi tank output but that's personal preference.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM #5
BatmanLiera

i run 450 psi ninja pro reg

you can run hi but low is less stresss on the reg
Old 09-03-2014, 12:03 PM #6
pbcheese
chop em DOWN

pbcheese has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pbcheese has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
^^ditto... And the 850 hp Vs the 450lp is the maximum amount of pressure the Bellville spring inside the regulator allows as an output. So theoretically, the lp or slp regs on the tank work harder to only allow up to "___" psi which will in turn allow marker reg to relax(or possibly be less responsive). As where the hp or shp regs don't work as hard since they are letting off a higher pressure(backed by whatever is in the tank). Once the pressure inside the tank drops below 850... The reg is dubbed useless and and now just turned into a 1 way valve. .... So stick to around 500 and everyone will be happy... Slp is for g6r anyway lol

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4374961
Ask ask
pbcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 PM #7
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcheese View Post
^^ditto... And the 850 hp Vs the 450lp is the maximum amount of pressure the Bellville spring inside the regulator allows as an output. So theoretically, the lp or slp regs on the tank work harder to only allow up to "___" psi which will in turn allow marker reg to relax(or possibly be less responsive). As where the hp or shp regs don't work as hard since they are letting off a higher pressure(backed by whatever is in the tank). Once the pressure inside the tank drops below 850... The reg is dubbed useless and and now just turned into a 1 way valve. .... So stick to around 500 and everyone will be happy... Slp is for g6r anyway lol
It doesn't noticeably affect performance one bit under 850 psi any different than if it's output was limited at 450 psi.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:34 PM #8
pbcheese
chop em DOWN

pbcheese has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pbcheese has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
"possibly". If your tank reg is dirty couldn't it possibly lag? Let's say you're operating at 190psi and running 450, respectively, firing 12.5 bps, in cold weather, couldn't it possibly cause a bit of drop of during rapid fire? I wouldn't know, I clean my stuff and its hot year round here lol

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4374961
Ask ask
pbcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:52 PM #9
Ninja Paintball
Factory Tech

Ninja Paintball works for a Paintball manufacturer
Ninja Paintball supports our troops
Quote:
The Bellville springs Actually controls piston travel and timing ( dwell. )
stack configuration, disc size, fatigue rate and work load range determine specific output pressures and response curve, Piston drum diameter size is also a part of the timing equation especially at lower pressures.
Slp systems uses a slightly different piston for proper performance.
Mid and Low pressure output systems function with the least load (stress)
due to shorter piston travel and lighter spring load.
In most cases ( depending on the reg design ) when a HP 850psi preset regs pressure drops below set pressure the remaining pressures flow rate becomes restricted and erratic causing inconsistent performance,
The Axe manual clearly states , We strongly recommend 450psi input if using an adjustable output reg, if unavailable an Hp system is acceptable,
For any additional info regarding Reg pressures , PM anytime
Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM #10
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I don't see how the flow rate of a valve that's basically open constantly could be restricted. When you only have 500 psi in a tank that is set for 850.....as aresfiend said, the regulator essentially just stays open at this point. To me, that means you're getting maximum flow possible without restriction.

Granted if the air pathways in said regulator are just way too small to allow a sufficient amount of air to flow at lower pressure, there would be a problem. Of course there would also be a problem when shooting at higher ROF as well, because such a reg would be very low quality. I haven't seen this as an issue on any brand name regulators for a long long time though.

So basically, if you have the ability to run mid pressure without spending more money, by all means go for it. If it will cost you more money to buy a mid pressure or adjustable regulator, don't bother. If you have a piece of crap no name regulator to begin with, then you probably want to change it out anyway, so get something that's adjustable and save yourself a lot of trouble in the future.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM #11
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
"possibly". If your tank reg is dirty couldn't it possibly lag? Let's say you're operating at 190psi and running 450, respectively, firing 12.5 bps, in cold weather, couldn't it possibly cause a bit of drop of during rapid fire? I wouldn't know, I clean my stuff and its hot year round here lol
If your tank is dirty and it's causing that lag at low pressure it's going to cause some issues if you're filled up to 4500psi. I would know, by now I've had to "fix" 30 or so regs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
I don't see how the flow rate of a valve that's basically open constantly could be restricted. When you only have 500 psi in a tank that is set for 850.....as aresfiend said, the regulator essentially just stays open at this point. To me, that means you're getting maximum flow possible without restriction.
That's what I was thinking, because the piston no longer moves once you get below the set pressure unless you accidentally built your regulator in reverse and had it let unregulated air flow until it got down to 850psi, at which point it would close.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM #12
MstrKey

Well from my limited knowledge of "flow" I learned online there are many ways to increase flow through a system. One of those is to increase the pressure in the system. Another is to increase the size of the conduit. So I think what The ninja tech is trying to say is that some regulators may have enough flow at optimal output(850psi) but below that they suffer because the design of the conduits is actually restrictive below that pressure point. I will agree with that since I've experienced it in cheap knock off regulators myself. If this problem does exist in most name brand regulators, it's never been enough for me to experience it. At least not at normal every day rates of fire that I play at.

I routinely shoot down low into my tank and it seems to work fine until I hit about 250ish....which is what the etek needs to maintain operation. I currently have one Ninja reg, one ANS Chinese knockoff reg, and one older pure energy reg. I of course maintain them all so I've never had a problem. Are they all equal in overall operation? I doubt it. Do they all function well enough to play with? Certainly.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM #13
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
I routinely shoot down low into my tank and it seems to work fine until I hit about 250ish....which is what the etek needs to maintain operation. I currently have one Ninja reg, one ANS Chinese knockoff reg, and one older pure energy reg. I of course maintain them all so I've never had a problem. Are they all equal in overall operation? I doubt it. Do they all function well enough to play with? Certainly.
I guess I should agree that once you reach a certain quality it may not matter anymore. I use Pure Energy regs due to having monster hands where the length is nice, but I have had issues with Myth/Myth2 regs when they get low on pressure, but they were terrible in every other aspect anyway so I just passed it off on terrible regs.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM #14
MstrKey

I like the longer length of the PE reg as well. I find the ninjas wayyyyyy too short. The tanks are short and the regs are short. :/

I've never used any of the myths but I have seen people have problems with them. I had an older GA regulator from their early days and it worked great. The ambush I think it was called? Never had a problem with that one. It was of a different quality though.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:02 PM #15
imped4now
BTFU

Just use a Ninja with a reg extender. Perfect.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM #16
MstrKey

I thought about getting one. I'm still using my etek which has an adjustable asa on it. Good old macroline saves the day.