Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 PM #1
1eyedBALLER

*needing advice* +story, *weighing options*

Don't let the name fool you... Really, I'm down to one eye y'all! Not new to paintball, but very new to 1) buying my own equipment, 2) the possibilities of doing this sport half blind. I've tried to google other folks who have done this and literally found nothing online. So, I'm bringing the topic here. Looking for anyone with either personal experience, or an experience possibly playing with someone with the same situation.

Little back ground. 32 years young, in shape, have a great physical job where I work outside year round. I drive more than 125 miles a day for my routes at work. (Wanna come for a ride on the highway with me =D) in march this year I had an ocular stroke, meaning it was contained in only my right eye. And it's only loss vision, if your Talking to me in person, you'd never know (unless you try n slap me from that side... Yes it's been done before)!! This wasn't a stroke brought on by blood pressure, or cholesterol... Hold onto your hats.... Energy drinks, and dehydration did it. The day it happened, no symptoms, it snuck up on me. I had 3 monster rehabs (span of a few hours), no water, I was also a smoker of 15 years (since the date of stroke I haven't had a cigg) the dehydration slowed my blood down, but the energy drinks caused such high pressure on my arteries that it collapsed the artery in my eye for vision (not movement/response) and fried the nerves within an hour. I didn't have a chance to save it if it happened in a hospital.

So, since this has happened, I haven't tried to even play paintball. I've worked out aiming with a BB gun using muscle memory when sighting on my right side, and still being able to sight using vision on my left. It's been in least to say, a labor of love. But I'm stubborn, and I can adapt to things. This hasn't hindered any aspect of my life. Hell, the way I see it is I only have to see half the ugly in the world now!

I've got my eye on some markers I'm interested in. I'd like to keep it mainly to woodsball, or fields with structures and bunkers. Not speedball.. Lol... I don't care about scopes, unless I can mount it on the left side gun rail to maybe aid with aim when I bring the rifle up to my right side. I know that eye don't work, but man my arms just want to bring it up to that side. I like tippmann markers, been looking at the project salvo, or the x7 phenom. For either I'd like to keep it at a 13-14in barrel. I hear both good and bad things about flatlines, specially bad when operating at full auto. Now I hear I can get a barrel I like and just add an apex tip? Who knows... Maybe a freak barrel or ceramic setup would be nice. Also would like the option to run compressed air.

Any suggestions, or feedback would be great. I know this thread is of a mixed variety, soo I figured this would be the place for it...

Ltr all...

Thanks In advance!!!!
1eyedBALLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 PM #2
aclark364

aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Sorry to hear about the stroke. That really sucks. I think the more you get use to only having one eye you will fell more comfortable with everything. There isn’t really anything to stop you from playing. You have a blind spot, but you could just stick to the side of the field to limit people from that side. The more you play them more you will feel at ease playing.

Pump OT
aclark364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:46 PM #3
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
So to start, not having vision in one eye won't stop you from playing. My friend is blind in his right eye and he still plays at least once a month and has never let it stop him. He just adapted to using his left eye to see the entire field.

For markers, scopes are pretty much useless. If you like the tippmanns, the crossover is a solid marker that has tippmanns industry durability and is still compact like any other marker. If you want more of the milsim look, check out the x7 phenom. It has an electric trigger with a mechanical option just in case the battery dies, so you are always in the game.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:57 PM #4
Jestero

Jestero owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Man where to start! Stay with me I tend to drift off.

Disabilities I noticed in paintball do not really affect ones self unless you are playing a game that requires fast action or reaction, but that shouldn't be a problem. I've played with people who are deaf, one eye'd and missing a leg/foot/arm/hands and they still maintain a good reaction or better! It really only affects you if you want it too the games the same limbs or no limbs and eyes or no eyes just be in a positive mindset.

As for woods ball that's a good choice since the scenarios are a lot slower meaning almost everyone can keep up so your eye shouldn't really affect you as much as you think it should. I asked one of the guys who is missing his right hand (main hand for him, he literally plays with a hook.) how does he do it he gave me the answer practice, practice practice. Just keep practicing your reflexes, reactions aiming everything you usually practice. And heck it comes down to " If you love the sport, the sport will love you." Just stay positive! Hopefully I helped a bit.

As for gear that's probably better for someone else to answer...
Jestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:07 PM #5
1eyedBALLER

Everything is greatly appreciated! I came to these boards looking for answers and I got them. I mean, my mind was made up regardless, but I really wanted to hear other experiences! Kinda like knowing you're not alone! Lol. I think after it happened I sat around for a week, after that I was back to driving, work, and life. Married with 12 and 7 year old boys! So, work, and work! Lol. I'm positive, like I said I adapt! It could have been worst, and I'm lucky it wasn't!

I've looked into the x7 phenom a bit, but see a lot of feeder problem reviews with the flex valve/cyclone system, little scary, like I could get that LEMON! The salvo, I could push a response trigger on with a good feeder and be alright for a while. Just something about the milsim look and the x7 features that makes me want to make the leap....

Decisions... Decisions!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM #6
aarospoon13
Isaiah 41:10

Annual Supporting Member
aarospoon13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedBALLER View Post
Everything is greatly appreciated! I came to these boards looking for answers and I got them. I mean, my mind was made up regardless, but I really wanted to hear other experiences! Kinda like knowing you're not alone! Lol. I think after it happened I sat around for a week, after that I was back to driving, work, and life. Married with 12 and 7 year old boys! So, work, and work! Lol. I'm positive, like I said I adapt! It could have been worst, and I'm lucky it wasn't! I've looked into the x7 phenom a bit, but see a lot of feeder problem reviews with the flex valve/cyclone system, little scary, like I could get that LEMON! The salvo, I could push a response trigger on with a good feeder and be alright for a while. Just something about the milsim look and the x7 features that makes me want to make the leap.... Decisions... Decisions!!!
While you may see bad stuff online about the cyclone system, the ratio you're looking at of lemons to good is pretty much stacked in your favor. There's always lemon risk. Plus the benefit of getting anything Tippman is the insane reliability of them so no loss there.
Aiming with one eye would be different but I've been practicing aiming by firing off one round then compensating based on where that went rather than attempting to sight down the barrel. While not the "best" or most efficient way, I'm pretty close to target regularly with that. Not sure if that would work for you but it may be worth a shot. A half inch adjustment at range x to the right leads to a target point of y (I'm not a math guy so I can't easily run that through in my head).
On another note, a ceramic barrel might be nice since they usually self clean, so any breaks or weirdness can be dealt with without having to drop the aim you built up and cleaning then switching back. I think you'll do fine out there! What's the worst that could happen? Get shot in your blind spot? I do know that some masks like the Grill have such limited range of vision relative to others that some of the two eye vision guys out there may even have a smaller FOV than you!

Props to you for getting back on your feet and go have fun out there. For that milsim feel at a good budget price you're not losing getting an x7 at all or salvo.

LOADOUT: Titan White Etek 4 LT * Ninja 50/4500 * Machine Gear * Black/White Exalt accessories
aarospoon13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM #7
1eyedBALLER

Thank you again everybody for all the positive feedback!

So I've don't a bit more research and come to find, the x7 complaints come mostly from "cold weather", or folks who have upgraded the cyclone feed system. Most I saw said problem was fixed once converted back to stock parts. And as for the COLD WEATHER... i live in Texas. It may drop below 30degrees at night and early morning, but by 11am - noon.... It's warm again! Lol. We hardly ever stay below the mid 40's or low 30's for any more than a couple days. So I don't think there's much to worry about on that issue.

As for my sight, trying it out at softball this weekend! Something I've only practiced so far, so we'll see how I react in a real game situation! Of corse it's only softball, but I'm getting old!!!! Hahaha
Old Today, 01:49 AM #8
midniteryu

I own a salvo, its a great gun, though my wife who also plays says it's heavy ( I never notice). I play left handed so I always end up with the hopper of the tank blocking my FOV from the right side, though not the same as being blind it does give me a blind spot. The way I've dealt with is to try to play from the my teams field right side so as all my targets are on my left and therefore visible. The salvo is a great gun and tippmanns reliability is second to none IMO. I'm actually looking into a magfed marker with a box mag so I can clear get rid of the hopper. Hope this helps.
midniteryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:27 AM #9
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Here's my thought, with the loss of peripheral vision on one side you'll have to do periodic checking up on that side. Those gaps in looking around may allow another player to close in. So I would recommend a smaller gun with a nice high rate of fire. That way you can whip it around faster and cover yourself. If you still want to stay milsim I would look at the Etha EMC or the GOG G1.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:09 AM #10
1eyedBALLER

I've found that in my everyday life, adventures. . I seem to keep my head turned a little too my right to kind of off set the blind spot. Keeping my head a little to the right allows my left eye to see more without always having to keep moving my head. Now, if o turn all the way to the right, everything on the left disappears. But, at longer ranges the one eye can see just as much as 2 eyes. It's close quarters where I lose the most vision. That is why I think woodsball would be my best option. Also, the weight of the gun doesnt bother me. I constantly carry about 30-45 lbs worth of equipment all day long. So the gun, being no where near that, I think I should be ok.

Now for mask/gogs, id like a setup that allows me to also wear my shades under it. I have very protective lenses for my eye that help me with sun glares and brightness!

Thank yall again for the feedback!!!
Old Today, 02:12 PM #11
sirdouglasb12

sirdouglasb12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sirdouglasb12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sirdouglasb12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Any marker can be used on any field. With that said, are you sure you won't at some point want to get into the faster paced games? While the milsim and mechanical markers work fine in the woods, they are often outgunned on faster paced games like Xball or speedball. On the flip side, a good electro marker can be used just fine in any type of field. I try to keep all my gear in drab colors - camo, black, or greens and browns. That goes for my markers and hoppers too. I feel very comfortable taking my gear into any kind of field knowing that I'm not going to stick out like a neon sign.
Old Today, 02:36 PM #12
aclark364

aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Now for mask/gogs, id like a setup that allows me to also wear my shades under it. I have very protective lenses for my eye that help me with sun glares and brightness!

Thank yall again for the feedback!!!
i always use mirror or tinted lenses.i have had no problems in the woods w/ them. a visor might be something you want too. most mask come w/them. vio does not, but is a great mask. try on as many mask as you can before you buy. see what fits best for you. i dont wear glasses so i cant say what ones work best w/ glasses.

Pump OT
aclark364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:23 PM #13
1eyedBALLER

I've seen some mask review vids that showcase ones that have spaces in the foam where glasses can fit. Mine are not prescription by any means, but highly cut out all glare on surfaces and even water.... Well, water is a surface also, but you know what I ment!!! This helps with my vision greatly, without them the glare is overwhelming and can render me pretty damn blind. Like when someone gets you with the super bright camera flash and all you see is that huge dot.. Well I still see that dot, and it's huge, with one eye.... It's really huge!!

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Today, 05:33 PM #14
1eyedBALLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdouglasb12 View Post
Any marker can be used on any field. With that said, are you sure you won't at some point want to get into the faster paced games? While the milsim and mechanical markers work fine in the woods, they are often outgunned on faster paced games like Xball or speedball. On the flip side, a good electro marker can be used just fine in any type of field. I try to keep all my gear in drab colors - camo, black, or greens and browns. That goes for my markers and hoppers too. I feel very comfortable taking my gear into any kind of field knowing that I'm not going to stick out like a neon sign.

For now, I know my vision will keep me moving at a slower pace. FOR NOW. A week after I lost vision, I was back to driving my pick-up truck over 100 miles a day. At first, I kept in the slow lane unless I HAD to make a left! I was cautious... Now I'm back to 5 O CLOCK ROAD RAGE status! So, things get better after time. I'm not going to kid myself and think I can go out there and just sprint across a paintball field.. I WILL crush my skull on a low passage or just run into **** left and right. I want to get my bearings back a bit first before I go diving into a faster pace. And even when I was playing paintball before all this vision lost I always favored the wooded courses or fields with a lot of space and bunkers.
Old Today, 05:35 PM #15
pvn

I've been down to one eye for years. Makes things tough for opposite handed. Example I'm blind in my left eye, shooting left handed and left side of a bunker can be tough.

One way to compensate, I shoot with my right hand always...just move the tank from one shoulder to the other. Works for me, might not for you.

Biggest tip I can give you, protective glasses on at all times. All it takes is one screw up and your down to none.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:47 PM #16
1eyedBALLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
I've been down to one eye for years. Makes things tough for opposite handed. Example I'm blind in my left eye, shooting left handed and left side of a bunker can be tough.

One way to compensate, I shoot with my right hand always...just move the tank from one shoulder to the other. Works for me, might not for you.

Biggest tip I can give you, protective glasses on at all times. All it takes is one screw up and your down to none.

THANK YOU! Mine is right eye. I figured if I have to look out the right side of a bunker I have to expose 3/4 of my head basically. That seems sketchy to me, but that's my opinion. My right side is where my mind instantly takes whatever it is I'm aiming. So I have to train my left side, which I've been doing, but def not in an action situation. I'm sure I'll get used to it and find my way just like you have! Thank you for the feedback!!!!
Old Today, 05:54 PM #17
aarospoon13
Isaiah 41:10

Annual Supporting Member
aarospoon13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
THANK YOU! Mine is right eye. I figured if I have to look out the right side of a bunker I have to expose 3/4 of my head basically. That seems sketchy to me, but that's my opinion. My right side is where my mind instantly takes whatever it is I'm aiming. So I have to train my left side, which I've been doing, but def not in an action situation. I'm sure I'll get used to it and find my way just like you have! Thank you for the feedback!!!!
Where in Texas are you? I know if you're looking for a high field of view mask the profilers aren't bad at all. I wore my glasses under them (prescription) until I didn't have to anymore.

LOADOUT: Titan White Etek 4 LT * Ninja 50/4500 * Machine Gear * Black/White Exalt accessories
aarospoon13 is online now   Reply With Quote