PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-19-2015, 12:03 PM #1
Imperiah

Do Adult Women Play?

Hi all,

I really want to get into paintball but I have a problem; I donít know anyone who plays. My boyfriend isnít really interested unless we can get a big group of friends to go and at our age, itís getting harder and harder to get people to do anything. The few times I went were with private work groups or a big group of friends.

Seems like a lot of people suggest just going to the field and meeting new people, but as a 26 year old woman, I feel awkward showing up alone(especially because Iím new and not very good). Iím worried that itíll be a boys club and Iíll be shunned and/or Iíll get stuck playing with a bunch of 10 year olds.

I just want to have fun and get exercise and Iím dying to try out my mask.

TL;DR
How do I find other likeminded ladies to play with? Are there many?
Imperiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 PM #2
pvn

Annual Supporting Member
pvn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
While you might be concerned about feeling awkward being there on your own, the "ole boys club" will definitely be as they are trying to figure out how to go talk to you/include you.

Just go and have fun. Nicest part of PB is everyone is there to have a good time. If there are a bunch of youngster at the field there will also be some moms sitting off to the side, most wishing someone would invite them to join in. My wife does it every time we go, we accumulate the free passes from a couple of the fields, inevitably she strikes up a conversation with some of the moms, tosses them a free pass and I break out some extra gear.

Haven't had any of the mom corps not have a blast. To the point some even call to find out when the next time she will be at the field.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM #3
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Even though there are women who play (my wife included) it is a bit of a boys club. Don't be afraid though, women are very welcome. There are nowhere near enough women in the sport, we all know that, and we'll do everything we can to get more women involved and keep the ones we have. I actually went to a scenario game where the girls were given pink paint, much to the distress of some pink covered teenage boys.

start here http://www.pbnation.com/fields/ to find fields near you. Ask the guys who run the field or ask common players if they would know. Most fields have facebook pages, those are good places to start.

And of course the best option is to drag some of your lady friends out with you.

good luck to you.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 PM #4
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

They're out there, but they're not common.
In 19 years of playing I can count the number of adult women who didn't come to the field with their boyfriend or husband on one hand. Come to think of it, I think all of them were pros. I've seen plenty of female teenagers and college students play, though.

Of course, these days it's getting rarer and rarer to see male players who are beyond college age.

Every field is different, but at least around here I haven't found the paintball community to be overtly anti-female. Don't be surprised if people are hesitant to talk to you though- You'll probably be the first solo female player a lot of them have seen and they may be intimidated.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:18 PM #5
ReynoldsZ33
Bazinga

ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 supports Empire
Not to sound like a douche or anything....But honestly being a woman that wants to play, gives you the advantage over any male. Sure its a "boys club"...but most male players will jump at the chance to even talk to a woman who actually likes to play paintball.

This is coming from watching it happen.... Good looking girl showed up with a gearbag.... a bunch of guys talked to her....got all super flirty. She played the ditzy blonde bimbo, asked for some help. ALLLL of them ran through some drills with her..... her first game....she destroyed everyone (including me). I never got to ask her, but I'm pretty sure she was a pro player. She deff Rick Rolled everyone... I laughed at everyone, as I was one of the only guys there who didn't have their dick out for her.

Soo that being said, Just go play. I bet someone will talk to you, and befriend you rather fast.

Most of all, just have fun. If no one talks to you, just do your thing. Its all about having fun. If no one wants to help you get better, or talk trash on you, then they aren't worth talking to anyways.

Happy balling.
ReynoldsZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 PM #6
bigjohn141

bigjohn141 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigjohn141 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
bigjohn141 plays in the APPA beginner division
My girlfriend plays (25) and there are a couple of other women in their 20s that play at my local field. It's not common put it does happen.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
bigjohn141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:45 PM #7
msteve22

msteve22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
msteve22 is an NCPA player
msteve22 plays in the APPA D5 division
See if any of the fields near you have a Mother's Day Special. I know its a ways away but, the field I play at regularly has a Mothers Day and Fathers Day special. Even if you don't have kids you can still play and probably find people closer to your age at the field.

As for guys beyond college, that's cause those of us in college are poor and after college, well I don't know yet. I assume they don't find a women that looks at paintball the same way you do.

Oh and if you just go without your boyfriend, I guarantee he goes with you eventually cause we all know how the 'boys club' at the paintball field will act when a lady shows up. Imagine him at home on the couch watching TV while his girlfriend is playing paintball. 1 of 2 things will happen, he goes with you, or you're looking for a new boyfriend at the field.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying again.
msteve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM #8
Imperiah

Thanks for weighing in guys. Contacting the local fields seems like the obvious solution... didn't even think of that so thanks!

Sounds like I may just have to grow a pair (hah) and go alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynoldsZ33 View Post
Good looking girl showed up with a gearbag.... a bunch of guys talked to her....got all super flirty. She played the ditzy blonde bimbo, asked for some help. ALLLL of them ran through some drills with her..... her first game....she destroyed everyone (including me). I never got to ask her, but I'm pretty sure she was a pro player. She deff Rick Rolled everyone... I laughed at everyone, as I was one of the only guys there who didn't have their dick out for her.
Blah, I don't want to be *that* girl (minus the destroying everyone part). Whenever I see chicks doing that I roll my eyes, and sounds like you do too. Happens all the time in online gaming. I don't want people going easy on me because I'm female, go easy on me because I'm a noob or not at all

Also, just to clarify, no offense was intended by the boy's club comment. I'm definitely not suggesting its a sport full of woman haters. Just worried about not fitting in.
Imperiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 AM #9
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VIII
martix_agent is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by msteve22 View Post
1 of 2 things will happen, he goes with you, or you're looking for a new boyfriend at the field.
What? This doesn't make sense whatsoever.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 AM #10
Calvin
Clickety screeeee

Calvin is a Mega Moderator
Calvin is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Calvin is playing at Living Legends VIII
I'd preview the field either through reviews or checking them out in person. The field that's near me caters to the walk on/rental crowd and I see women playing there much more frequently than at other fields I've been to. It might help that I live in a college town and the frats and sororities will put on events. I have seen family groups come and more often than not, moms and sisters will play.

I think it helps that my particular field caters to groups rather than teams. I suppose it depends on what kind of paintball you're interested in playing. For the most part, if you're playing with other rec players, I would expect you shouldn't have any problems regardless of your gender. Most of them are just out to have a fun day of paintball and not interested in conflict.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
Calvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 AM #11
Skipdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperiah View Post

How do I find other likeminded ladies to play with? Are there many?
You don't, their arn't many.

So, you just need to show up by yourself and play open games. It'll be ok I promise. You will not be shunned.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:06 AM #12
aarospoon13
Isaiah 41:10

Annual Supporting Member
aarospoon13 is BST Trusted
aarospoon13 is playing at Living Legends VII
aarospoon13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
You don't, their arn't many. So, you just need to show up by yourself and play open games. It'll be ok I promise. You will not be shunned.
Couldn't be said better. You may even find that you going out there may encourage others to come out. I see a few every now and then at my home field but it isn't a constant stream at all. But usually when one or two go out, a few others will go inside and get rental gear and go out too.

Going out and playing (especially when you're actually enjoying it and having fun) usually encourages others of any demographic to play as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:37 PM #13
trianglesandtweed
The limit does not exist.

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
Problem solved.

Sweet Clone GT
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 PM #14
Morpheus78

My wife would always come to the field with me and she got pretty good at the sport. Its true, like others have said, that she would get a lot of attention. Ive had guys try to flirt with her right in front of me, try to take her aside to give her pointers, try to get pictures with her and them, you name it. She holds her own though, always says um...see this guy next to me...he's my husband. Only one time I had to get involved when she got in into an argument with some guy for overshooting and he literally got in her face. Married guy too, I can only imagine what she goes though.

Shes preggers now, so shes on a break.

Macdev Drone 2 Goes Here!
Custom Extcy
2015 Axe Pro

A man who fears losing has already lost! - Arya Stark
Morpheus78 is offline   Reply With Quote