Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-15-2017, 06:27 PM #1
lagarde0924

keeping old paintballs good

i went paintballing today and i left without using all my paint but i opened one of the bags and put it into my hauler. will these paintballs stay good for a month or so or should i just shoot them in my back yard???
lagarde0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 PM #2
martix_agent
Mandated fun

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
martix_agent supports Ninja Paintball
they'll be fine for a month or two, so long as you keep them climate-controlled and away from humidity.
martix_agent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:03 PM #3
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
aclark364 supports Ninja Paintball
depending on the field you might not be able to use them. most fields will only let you use their paint bought that day.

Ion/Gear for sale!/spyders
aclark364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 PM #4
martix_agent
Mandated fun

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
martix_agent supports Ninja Paintball
I've yet to come across that. If you show them that it's paint that you bought at that location, they'[ll usualyl let you use it. I've yet to come across a field that won't.
martix_agent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM #5
Menace_pbn

Menace_pbn is playing at Living Legends VII
I've been doing some long-term testing with different brands of paint.

Currently have some Marbs that is five months old, some Graffiti that is over a year old, and some Formula 13 that is nearly three years old, all of which are in great shape and shoot just fine.

Matter of fact, out of curiosity, just went outside and did a drop test, and all three broke from nose height.

Don't know what was in the water when that particular batch of 13 was made, but it is the roundest paint I've ever measured, and while it doesn't break as well as some of the higher end stuff, it is nonetheless impressive that it keeps hanging in there. I shoot less and less of it less and less, of course, because now there isn't much left, and I can't believe it continues to function.

Some paint does better than others, clearly.

Had a half case of Marbs and a full case of Evil from LL7. Both were horrible at the event.

If you looked at them wrong they broke.

The marbs would empty out of the shell if left overnight on a paper towel.

After less than six months they turned into soup in the bag.

On the other hand, a year later the Evil actually shot better than it did at Legends.

Had some Redemption that was horrible to start and got worse each week.

Sometimes you get bad batches, sometimes you get batches that have been improperly stored, and there isn't always a clear reason.

The only way to know if your paint will last is to keep it, and store it properly. Keep it closed up, keep it as cool and as dry as you can, and roll your boxes. I turn my boxes on end every couple of weeks in order to keep it from dimpling. So after a couple of months or so, the boxes end up right side up again.

If you have sweaty paint you might try a paper towel in the bag. Desiccant bags, as come with lots of decent paint, are good to keep for such occasions.

Ziplocs are also your friend here.

But definitely don't believe the panicked shrieks of people who talk about paint being only good for a very limited time. In my experience almost all paint that starts life as a good batch will last much, much longer than most people would believe.

My guess is that people are either exaggerating or else simply don't store it properly.

Good luck.
Menace_pbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 PM #6
drew212

drew212 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
drew212 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
drew212 supports Ninja Paintball
+1 on the ziplock bags.

Also, I've heard that if you're storing it for quite a while, be sure to rotate the paint so it doesn't get flat on one side.
drew212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:54 PM #7
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

I'll make a contribution to the thread with this nugget:

In 2013 my favorite brand of paintballs changed from .686" diameter to .681" because the manufacturer changed facilities or equipment or whatever.

So I got bummed out and put the batch of .681" paintballs into long term storage, in a cool dark area that my landlord allowed me to store in. The new size was too small for my particular gun

Fast forward 8 months. I got the itch to play paintball again, so I took out those same paintballs and discovered to my delight they had swelled to .686" size! Swelled an extra .005" in diameter. And were totally still-usable, round, etc.

So,
I don't know if you find this helpful or not.
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM #8
Skankhunt2134

If it's properly stored a long time
Skankhunt2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 PM #9
Apple 3.14
Did you say bacon?

Apple 3.14 supports Ninja Paintball
Apple 3.14 supports Empire
Keep them sealed and make sure climate doesn't fluctuate too much. Humidity will decrease the life of them.
Empire Axe
Apple 3.14 is offline   Reply With Quote