Community Focus

Old 04-22-2015, 03:38 AM #1
StandUpxBoston
eXalted

StandUpxBoston is playing at Living Legends VIII
StandUpxBoston owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
StandUpxBoston posts videos on PbNation
StandUpxBoston has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Exclamation New to paintball? Here are some Do's and Don'ts.

Just some helpful tips to a new baller, or just someone seeking some advice.
Please, if you have anything to add, comment and I will give you the credit! Any questions please feel free to comment.

DO's

- ALWAYS pay attention to your fields safety rules.

- Show respect to the field and its employees, they are the reason you get to play this game safely.

- Wear weather appropriate clothing.

- Bring friends! More friends, more fun!

- On the speedball field, or in the woods, be aware of your surroundings so you decrease the chance of getting hurt.

- Take a break after a couple of games, hydrate, get some food in you to keep you going for the rest of the day.

- See a fellow baller in need of assistance? Help him/her! Show them some tips to practice. The more people learn about the game, the more people come back!

- Most importantly, make sure you have fun. This is what we thrive to do every time we step on the field.

Don'ts

- Do not feel discouraged if you are shot out of the game early, this is a learning experience, embrace it.

- Do not be that trigger happy guy over shooting the little kid walking off the field, you're going to make people mad, and at that point you are considered unsafe.

- Do not BY ANY MEANS take your mask off on the field. I know, this is cliche. But you have no idea how many people still do this to this day. Paintballs are shot fast enough to liquify your eyeball. Try explaining that story to your lawyer after you sign the fields waiver.

- For the love of the creator of paintball, do not cheat. Yeah its easy to just simply wipe your hand across your chest to remove the paint that hit you 10 seconds ago, but you are there to have fun and not cheat to be the best.

- This is walk on play, not the Olympics. Unless you're actually in a tournament, try not to run down the Miller family on their family fun day.

HK Army
Hustle Paintball
Paintball Wizard
Custom products

"Originally posted by spracks21: And besides, everyone knows Jesus only reveals himself on toasted bread.."
StandUpxBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2015, 04:59 PM #2
s10blanton

nice list
s10blanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM #3
C0lin

C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
C0lin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah I agree good post. Might I add a few:

Do's

Move as much as you can when your playing.

Don't feel like your wasting paint if you don't hit anyone. Its ok to shoot some cover fire for your teammates here there, as well to help yourself move

Learn to snapshoot, run and gun, shadow walk, slide, etc

Learn to play all different types of bunkers, that way on the field you won't have to worry about how to position yourself in a bunker

Practice drills and skills w/o paint, its cheap (free) and will help improve your game

Ask questions, don't be afraid to, it can only help improve your game

Learn to tech your gun

Take risks. Don't run straight down the field each game, but if you are debating making a move, take it. Bigger moves will impact the game more

Don'ts

Take your mask off during a game/on the field

Put your back to the bunker, you won't be able to see down the field

Stay in the back of the field

Try not to post up over the top of bunkers, come out the side instead

Lean your barrel on the bunker, if you keep it off it, you will be able to return into your bunker quicker (does not apply to speedball)

Shoot paint that you find on the ground. It will jam/damage your marker

Hope this helps!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 PM #4
StandUpxBoston
eXalted

Thanks guys! please keep posting, lets get it stickied so newer players can see this thread all the time!

HK Army
Hustle Paintball
Paintball Wizard
Custom products

"Originally posted by spracks21: And besides, everyone knows Jesus only reveals himself on toasted bread.."
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM #5
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

seahiker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandUpxBoston View Post
Thanks guys! please keep posting, lets get it stickied so newer players can see this thread all the time!
Long way to go to get it stickied, IMO.
seahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM #6
azcomp

Good information. thx.
azcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 PM #7
Inno

Annual Supporting Member
DON'T be an a**hole....
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 AM #8
HappySAHD

Question Psychology of paintball

Question for anybody. My son and I just went paintballing for the first time yesterday with some friends and family. I had an awesome time and can't wait to do it again, but my son seemed "off". He came out of the woods each time with almost a full hopper. He didn't seem to want to talk about it until finally this morning I was able to get it out of him what was wrong. We enjoy regular shooting and my son has shot a .22, shotgun, .410, even my brother in law's mini-14, and loves it. We are very safety conscious and I have engrained in him muzzle discipline and never pointing a gun, loaded or unloaded, at another person. The problem is, I have taught him too well. He said he felt sick to his stomach whenever he brought his marker up to shoot somebody, because it just "felt wrong". How do I explain to him the difference between the sport of paintball and utilizing a firearm? I have thought it over a little bit and maybe using the term "paintball marker" instead of "paintball gun" might help. I also told him to talk to some of the other kids in his class to see what type of "marker's" they use and where they play. Any helpful input on this would be appreciated!
HappySAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM #9
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

seahiker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySAHD View Post
Question for anybody. My son and I just went paintballing for the first time yesterday with some friends and family. I had an awesome time and can't wait to do it again, but my son seemed "off". He came out of the woods each time with almost a full hopper. He didn't seem to want to talk about it until finally this morning I was able to get it out of him what was wrong. We enjoy regular shooting and my son has shot a .22, shotgun, .410, even my brother in law's mini-14, and loves it. We are very safety conscious and I have engrained in him muzzle discipline and never pointing a gun, loaded or unloaded, at another person. The problem is, I have taught him too well. He said he felt sick to his stomach whenever he brought his marker up to shoot somebody, because it just "felt wrong". How do I explain to him the difference between the sport of paintball and utilizing a firearm? I have thought it over a little bit and maybe using the term "paintball marker" instead of "paintball gun" might help. I also told him to talk to some of the other kids in his class to see what type of "marker's" they use and where they play. Any helpful input on this would be appreciated!
Two things just from the top of my head that he has to understand:
1. Having a firearm and not being able to point it at someone who does not have such problem is a sure way to get shot.
2. Paintball guns are not weapons.

How old is he?
seahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 PM #10
msteve22

msteve22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
msteve22 is an NCPA player
msteve22 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
He needs to know it is safe. Assuming one is wearing a mask, the chances of a paintball killing someone is, way less than a person winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning in the same month. Heck probably the same day. As long as people follow the rules about wearing masks (yeah I know, its the most cliche thing on this site) then paintball is one of the safest sports someone can play. Injuries in the sport come from people running, falling and twisting an ankle or something, not being shot by a paintball.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying again.

Last edited by msteve22 : 04-27-2015 at 08:27 PM.
msteve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 PM #11
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
That's a good problem to have.
You ought to be proud of this situation.

If you're absolutely determined to have him play paintball, I dunno, start out with some NERF guns?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:47 PM #12
Jonaroo
I'm coming for you Ernie

Jonaroo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jonaroo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
First off I think that you have raised your son very well because he is so empathetic and safety conscious. You should tray to explain the difference between a paintball marker and a gun also refer to it as tagging a person not hitting or discharging a marker not firing. It's great that you like the sport but if it is not your son's cup of tea don't force it on him.
Jonaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 AM #13
StandUpxBoston
eXalted

Quote:
As a gun owner and supporter myself, I'd like to say 1. Emmaculate job on the muzzle safety. 2. You're child has a very good head on his shoulders.

I think the best thing to do is try to explain to him the velocity difference between the two. Also explain that the only reason he would have a real gun in his hands is A. Self Defense (as the last option) B. Target Practice or C. Hunting. And definitely mention the dangers that go along with those.

Then show him how paintball is a sport, and is no where near as dangerous as shooting real guns. Maybe it's the aspect of being in the woods on the hunt that makes him shaked up. Try getting him on the Speedball field to show him its just a sport. Unfortunately, not everyones going to like our sport, but him understanding the differences between the two could definitely inch him closer to liking the sport.

Hope this helps, if not, sorry for the waste of time! hahah Good Luck.

HK Army
Hustle Paintball
Paintball Wizard
Custom products

Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 AM #14
nabbiker3
stupidly stupid

Annual Supporting Member
nabbiker3 helped look for balloons
nabbiker3 is playing at Living Legends III
nabbiker3 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
nabbiker3 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nabbiker3 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
As people have said be very proud of your son having these thoughts. I think it's important to explain to him that this is a paintball marker, not a gun as you have said. Explain to him that essentially you are just playing a game of tag but instead of using your hand you are using a paintball marker to mark the other players out. Tell him that within the netting it's okay to fire at other people as long as they have a mask on.
Freestyle 8 and Promaster for Sale!

"Originally posted by ride4life: woooo 1000 e-points to nabbiker3!!!!!!!!!!!"
nabbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM #15
Jt Fanboy

Jt Fanboy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Jt Fanboy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
"Question for anybody. My son and I just went paintballing for the first time yesterday with some friends and family. I had an awesome time and can't wait to do it again, but my son seemed "off". He came out of the woods each time with almost a full hopper. He didn't seem to want to talk about it until finally this morning I was able to get it out of him what was wrong. We enjoy regular shooting and my son has shot a .22, shotgun, .410, even my brother in law's mini-14, and loves it. We are very safety conscious and I have engrained in him muzzle discipline and never pointing a gun, loaded or unloaded, at another person. The problem is, I have taught him too well. He said he felt sick to his stomach whenever he brought his marker up to shoot somebody, because it just "felt wrong". How do I explain to him the difference between the sport of paintball and utilizing a firearm? I have thought it over a little bit and maybe using the term "paintball marker" instead of "paintball gun" might help. I also told him to talk to some of the other kids in his class to see what type of "marker's" they use and where they play. Any helpful input on this would be appreciated!"

I started playing paintball when I was 11 and I have shot guns my whole life.I think you need to get the rental gun but you need to get a orange barrel and get the feild to wrap in bright colored tape.Then get all the guys to we're bright orange.Make it feel like the paintball markers are nothing like real guns it .I am a little older than 11 and I have a cousin that step-dad is the same way an I told my cousin to get the bright guns possible.Make it Look like nerf guns.Play slpat master or 50 cal with bright green or blue gog enemy's 50(50 cal enmey).
That is all of what I have I hoped this helped.
Jt Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote