Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2016, 03:11 PM #1
dottom

Neck Protectors

Does anyone wear neck protectors? Does it scream newbie?

What about for youths? Don't want to put too much protection on the young ones to not limit mobility.
dottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2016, 03:51 PM #2
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
I did for a very long time. The first game I played where I'd forgotten to bring my neck guard, took one in the throat. And then another in exactly the same spot the next game. I survived, although I certainly don't enjoy it.

If I were planning to play an event where there's a significant "final battle" type segment (ie, Living Legends) and planned to put myself in the stream of fire from a thousand guns, I'd wear a neck guard, chin strap (which I do anyway), full body protection, etc, etc, etc. For special events where I'm the target in a target shoot, for fundraisers and such, I'll wear all the protection and padding I can. In normal game play, I'm far less worried about it... and I'm a guy who likes having as much protection as I can get. Hand in hand with not being as worried about neck hits is not choosing a goggle that's so tiny it barely covers my full face. The trend for tournament goggles has been getting smaller - I'm not a fan of that.

For kids, yep, pad them up. It would be a bummer for a young player to hit the field for their first game and become disheartened with paintball because they took a shot in the neck.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM #3
NOBLE818

NOBLE818 is playing at Living Legends VIII
NOBLE818 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Neck shots hurt so I would get them for the young ones.

I have one, which I purchased after getting shot in the neck a few times, but I never wear it. I always put it on when i'm getting dressed at the field and after a few minutes of being uncomfortable with it, I take it off before the first game. Lol
NOBLE818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 PM #4
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Never bought a neck guard for one reason. I don't feel I get shot in the neck enough to make me want to wear something there. Not gonna lie, neck shots can be some of the most painful shots, so if I were getting shot in the neck more often no doubt I'd invest in a neck guard.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:21 PM #5
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
That's a good point to bring up, too. I've been playing since 1991. The only two times I've been shot in the neck were those two hits on the same day. Head, all the time. Hands, sure. But neck hits seem to be pretty uncommon.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 PM #6
PaintballChick26
Cortana 2.0

PaintballChick26 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
PaintballChick26 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
PaintballChick26 supports DLX Technology
PaintballChick26 supports Shocker RSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0lin View Post
Never bought a neck guard for one reason. I don't feel I get shot in the neck enough to make me want to wear something there. Not gonna lie, neck shots can be some of the most painful shots, so if I were getting shot in the neck more often no doubt I'd invest in a neck guard.
This

Links to my sales...
Gear
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5072337

Valken pack
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5106209
PaintballChick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:21 PM #7
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
That's a good point to bring up, too. I've been playing since 1991. The only two times I've been shot in the neck were those two hits on the same day. Head, all the time. Hands, sure. But neck hits seem to be pretty uncommon.
Yeah I think typically your neck is actually pretty protected just by the way most people hold there guns. And dottom, wearing a neck guard definitely does not make you a 'noob'. I have seen many experienced players that wear them.

Man, I remember that first shot I took to the neck completely numbed the left side of my face.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 PM #8
TyHughes34

Annual Supporting Member
If you just grow a beard, you don't have to worry about it... That's how I avoid neck shots.
TyHughes34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 PM #9
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
its a bit of discomfort or a small chance of lots of pain. hail of paint? probably a good idea. typical game, eh. I play mostly woodsball and my jacket has a faily stiff collar. of all the years I've played i've been hit in the neck, once? twice? Hurt like heck but I'm alive. Definitely put them on kids.
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 PM #10
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I got stitched up in the neck by a ramping DM4 at close range a couple years ago and my airway closed up for several seconds. Since then, I don't play with my neck uncovered. I don't usually wear a neck protector though- typically just a large bandanna or a shemagh.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:47 PM #11
YeloSno
Resident Dip****

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
Neck protectors sure are kinda useful/valid, but they're called sissy scarves for a reason.

I think they help until a certain point unless you're an especially fragile individual/have some kind of damage that needs to not be re-damaged.

Though I've def been hit in the adam's apple, among other places, and it wasn't fantastic. It was also suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper rare and shouldn't happen if you're sticking your head/gun out of the bunker properly (lowest profile possible).
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 PM #12
MiniAlex
HB ARMY

MiniAlex owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MiniAlex posts videos on PbNation
MiniAlex has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniAlex has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniAlex has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I know plenty of people who use neck protectors. Grown-ups and kids, experienced and non-experienced. I personally don't mind neck shots, not saying they don't hurt, but most hits now don't effect me. I've never worn one, but its your choice if you want to or not.

MiniAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM #13
NYpaintballer80

NYpaintballer80 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I play speedball (NXL) and wear a neck guard since my job involves daily face to face meetings with clients in a business environment. It would look very unprofessional to meet with clients with welts all over your neck that look like hickeys.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:40 PM #14
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpaintballer80 View Post
I play speedball (NXL) and wear a neck guard since my job involves daily face to face meetings with clients in a business environment. It would look very unprofessional to meet with clients with welts all over your neck that look like hickeys.
Good point. Never thought of that.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM #15
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Speaking of neck protectors, just saw this pop up in my Facebook feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalt
Our new neck protectors are flying off the shelf!

Flexible, breathable, and contoured to bend and move with you and still protect you in all the right places.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM #16
swiftreprisal

To build off of what NYPaintballer said, I keep one with me for a very similar reason. What I've found is that my old neck guard from hockey has a soft kevlar outside (so no tears or frays), and thick fleece on the inside layer, so it's perfect for the paintball enviornment (impact of paint, shell shrapnel, thorns/brambles, surviving in your gear bag, etc).

Very similar to this:
http://www.ruffneckhockey.com/wp-con...4k-210x210.jpg
swiftreprisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:21 PM #17
ekkthree
Hurry up and relax

ekkthree owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ekkthree has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
well, i've not gotten popped in the crotch yet, but i sure am glad my pants have padding there. certain spots are just disproportionately more painful. newb? kid? pad em up.
does it scream newb? maybe. but who cares.
i dunno about mobility, but it would probably get hot.

WANT:
5+ podpack
Grillz
ekkthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM #18
NYpaintballer80

NYpaintballer80 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I wear the planet eclipse one. Doesn't look too doofy and of course the first day I wear it I get popped in the neck sliding into a bunker. Worked perfectly.

I tried to find my old hockey one, it was a bauer bib neckguard but cant seem to locate it.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:11 PM #19
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
After reading some comments I may pick one up for ION
Old 02-05-2016, 01:13 AM #20
dbush

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Neck protectors sure are kinda useful/valid, but they're called sissy scarves for a reason.

I think they help until a certain point unless you're an especially fragile individual/have some kind of damage that needs to not be re-damaged.

Though I've def been hit in the adam's apple, among other places, and it wasn't fantastic. It was also suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper rare and shouldn't happen if you're sticking your head/gun out of the bunker properly (lowest profile possible).
I think this is my ultimate fear in paintball, a close range (10 feet or less, or any distance really) adam's apple hit. But like you stated, so long as your keeping a tight and low profile position with marker up/lined/sighted "IT" shouldnt be an issue.
dbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM #21
Zombieninja

Well a way to get around from looking like a noob but also protecting your neck is to where a shemagh and make it into a hood with neck protection. or just use it as neck protection. really useful if you play woods ball and if you play speed ball you might look a little off but defiantly wouldn't think anything about it.
Zombieninja is offline   Reply With Quote