PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 PM #1
iamaparanoidperson

has been a member for 10 years
I'm a bit...rusty...I could use some advice

I'm a former Marine photographer. I've not touched a camera in about 3 years. I am ready to buy a new camera and pursue photography as a hobby, yet I am incredibly ignorant of current camera technology.

So, I am looking for a few good ideas to guide my research.

Criteria -
- I have 1000 to spend on everything
- I need a camera body capable of both photos and video
- I will occasionally shoot in low light and would appreciate a good ISO range without excessive noise at the top end
- I plan on starting with a single workhorse lens so the price should include a decent 35-70ish or 70-200ish lens

The USMC issued me Cannon Mark II bodies with a range of lenses. I doubt I can afford the same setup, but I loved using the Mark II. So, if you can think of something comparable - please share!
iamaparanoidperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 PM #2
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
I'm assuming you mean 5D Mark II? The 'mark' designation is used with a bunch of different bodies these days.

If you want photo and video, Canon is the way to go. They offer more support for video than any other DSLR maker. You could get an older Rebel that shoots video and then pick up a 24-105 F4 IS lens. Not the greatest max aperture but it is tack sharp and makes up for the slowness with image stabilization. There's an infinite combination of bodies and lenses that are about to be thrown at you but for under a grand you'll be very versatile out of the gate with my suggestion.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote