PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-08-2011, 03:13 PM #1
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

How to improve accuracy.

There's always a lot of talk about how to play better. Obviously being able to move up the field is critical. But one of the topics get into true accuracy. Most people, me included, have a tendency during tourney play to start throwing a rope of paint and try to move the rope to hit the target.

Although there are many things to consider, let's keep it simple.

Critical aspects of shooting accurately:

-correctly bored paint.
-using the correct regulator for the gun.
-correctly setting the velocity.
-finally hitting what you aim at.

How do you do it? How do you shoot straight and hit what your aiming at with 1,2 or 3 balls?
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM #2
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
Practice, Like everything else, you gotta practice to get better. Or you could play pump. Choose which one
sup'mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 PM #3
Pure Liquid Hell
RODGER READER

has been a member for 10 years
mostly its instinctive. the more you play the more second nature it becomes. another point is keeping loose and trusting yourself. then you'll start hitting your shots constantly.

Support Uprising nation
Pure Liquid Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM #4
empire1122v2 (Banned)

empire1122v2 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
empire1122v2 posts videos on PbNation
I find that not being a gun whore helps. Get used to a gun and keep using it.
empire1122v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM #5
Taxarod

Taxarod has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Knowing what your dealing with is part of it... If you don't get used to your gun you can't really predict how its going to shoot, How much the ball is going to drop, how much you need to arch your barrel for the ball to reach there... Practice.

-R.I.P Borg
Taxarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:33 PM #6
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Drills, drills, more drills...then continue doing drills. Even if you make the switch to pump it'll take a fair amount of time to get used to putting those first couple balls on target.

A gun that is consistent velocity-wise is a huge advantage, since paired with good paint you'll get the most predictable possible ball-flight.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM #7
Alvecchio

Alvecchio plays in the PSP
Alvecchio owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Alvecchio owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
All great advice. As a professional instructor I find that most often the worst teacher is oneself unless you're able to rope in your excitement and truly practice correct technique.

The key to learning accuracy, like anything else, is starting slow. Paintball is just another sport in which you use muscles one way or another to accomplish a goal. In this case, its shoot someone in the face!

You've heard the term "muscle memory" before, I'm sure. Just like driving a car, you don't think about what you're physically doing so much as you think about what you have to make the car do. Your leg knows the muscles that need to move, and how to move them to produce braking with the car. Driving stick is another great example. Having a fast and accurate paintball shot is no different.

In order to build muscle memory you must first develop good technique. NEVER attempt to be fast when learning technique. Speed comes naturally. You cannot gain speed (properly) without first having skill. Think about reloading. At one point you had to concentrate on reaching into your pack, releasing the strap, pulling the pod out, realizing you should probably open your lid on the hopper first, opening the pod, and pouring paint into the loader. You probably go through that motion much more smoothly and faster now.

So anyway...first get a comfortable grip on the gun that allows you to keep it stable and sight down the barrel precisely. Practice slowly coming out of a bunker, aiming at a target, and shooting until you hit it. Do this repeatedly, AS SLOW AS YOU NEED TO so that you're hitting the target before you come back into your bunker. There's no point in practicing ****ty technique quickly. Do it slow first. Increase the speed gradually and naturally. If at any point you catch yourself making an effort to go faster, you're going to fast! The speed WILL come. It's more important that you hit your target with precise technique than simply shooting at your target quickly.

Practice properly over and over again and you'll see results. Best of luck
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM #8
buzzdragon
honeybadgers

good idea to watch this gun set up by oliver lang to have your tank length properly BEFORE drill to aim and to improve accuracy into muscle memory as second nature.

1). get the right length of tank
2). use the right part of fingers for pulling the trigger properly like how to pull the trigger on a real handgun
3). decide to chose two different style how to aim
---a). for lane to shoot in long distance, i use rope of paints to dial into finding the target quickly
---b). for snap shooting in short distance, aim to see both sides of barrel as my sighting on target to dial quickly - fyi, i shoot up to three paints quickly (12.5 bps) to dial before locking my arm, hands, shoulder and eye on sighting before i duck safely - for example: i pop my head to shoot first paint to see if it is off the center of my sighting on the target then dial to bring second paint into center of my sighting and lock the marker, arm, hands and shoulder together with my muscle memory like glue then it is ready for me to snap shot target better.

if i need to rest my arm then i've to start over with 3). b). to re-dial my paints into center of my sighting again. sometime first attempt to shoot is ace right on target due to muscle memory as second nature as it becomes better due to drills.

Last edited by buzzdragon : 06-09-2011 at 12:26 PM.
buzzdragon is offline   Reply With Quote