Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-23-2011, 06:35 PM #1
Paladen

Is it worth trying?

I am a big fan of paintball and want to go into tournaments and such but I am afraid of the risk involved. In order to even attempt to go "semi-pro" I will have to move, because of the location I live in right now has no decent field close by.

Is it worth trying to start a career in paintball? I hear many stories of people making livings off of it, but how long does it take? Any information is helpful
Paladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 06:39 PM #2
rjones1213

rjones1213 is an NCPA player
rjones1213 plays in the APPA D5 division
rjones1213 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Making a living off paintball is not easy or something you should plan on. People play paintball because they love the sport.

SVSU Paintball #14
rjones1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM #3
bunker276
Think Outside the Box.

bunker276 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bunker276 is an NCPA player
bunker276 supports Pev's Paintball
bunker276 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones1213 View Post
Making a living off paintball is not easy or something you should plan on. People play paintball because they love the sport.
Quoted for truth

High Point University Panthers Paintball
bunker276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 PM #4
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

Gangstalicious is for the Gunfight
Gangstalicious supports Sherwood Forest
Gangstalicious posts videos on PbNation
Gangstalicious has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
this.
Gangstalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 PM #5
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Quote:

And almost impossible. Back in it's prime (2004-08ish) teams like XSV and Dynasty we're only making around 20k a year, which is why Angel Fragoza left, and Neil Eberle worked at an Applebees.

LA Ironmen managed to bring in large nice salaries. No idea what it's like today, but with paintball in the condition it's in, I can't imagine it being muc better.

Like the quoted post above me says, "People play paintball because they love the sport".

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // PM6 // Angel Speed 05 FST
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM #6
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladen View Post
I am a big fan of paintball and want to go into tournaments and such but I am afraid of the risk involved. In order to even attempt to go "semi-pro" I will have to move, because of the location I live in right now has no decent field close by.

Is it worth trying to start a career in paintball? I hear many stories of people making livings off of it, but how long does it take? Any information is helpful
There are two things you need to consider:

1. Going pro is not an automatic progression. You could be better than every player on a pro team and not go pro - it's more about who you know than who you can beat. It's possible for you to play for a decade and never go pro.

2. Pro players do not get paid like other professional athletes. The highest contract I've heard of is for $100,000 spread over 3 years, which averages to a little over $15/hour before tax - barely enough to support yourself, much less a family or a mortgage. If you want to make money in paintball, get an engineering degree.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM #7
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
What these guys said ^ the pros only make money these days with private label stuff being branded after them (Like vicious series egos) or by working for manufactures off the field. Other then that they only get paid enough to play for basically free (sponsorships mostly) so don't plan on making big money off PB.

Also consider it takes an astronomical amount of cash to even get to the pro level because of the cost of playing national tourneys like PSP. You've got a **** ton of paint per season, travel, event registration, food at events, gear costs, etc just to play the events themselves.

Then you factor in the cost of all the practicing you've gotta do in order to get your skills up.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote