Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM #43
thisistodd

thisistodd is an NCPA player
I dont really understand why I was forced to take off my undershirt in between points. Was wearing a raza jersey with factory padding.
thisistodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM #44
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistodd View Post
I dont really understand why I was forced to take off my undershirt in between points. Was wearing a raza jersey with factory padding.
You were the one with 2 jerseys on correct?
Only allowed 1 jersey. Your "undershirt" was a goonsquad jersey?
venice empire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 PM #45
thisistodd

nope. Just a cut off tshirt. Raza jersey with factory padding. It was on the webcast field on saturday.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM #46
YouGotOwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaintballplpaye View Post
Also, you pulled a player from TCU with intentions or testing a marker for a shooting hot penalty yet it took forever for you guys to find a PACT timer to do it. I don't even think you tested the gun until another team had played their point waiting for it.
They pulled our guns (after the game, of course) like 8 times on Saturday. We concluded that the refs only wanted to test them before they actually buy one.

However, we did have a player on our second line get a 5 minute penalty for shooting 14bps. His gun had reset when he changed his battery. Lucky him!
BUT... very inconsistent with the rulings. Our player received 5 minutes suspension for a gross penalty while I personally saw two more players with guns over 14 not receive ANY penalty.... They were told by the same head ref to use a different gun or readjust it. Not saying that our player shouldn't have received the penalty, but it would be fair if players received the same penalties.

Also had a ref really mess up a call with the TCU/Baylor game. The field's only working fill station got stuck to our player's tank and kept filling...Blew out the reg. Ref stopped the countdown because of it and said that the game would start on the second buzzer to both teams. Buzzer #1 goes off and people start playing with 4 of our TCU guys standing there like WTF. And then the ref says that its our fault for not going off the first buzzer and that he's counting the game as Baylor point. It was some BS, but I thank Baylor for being VERY sportsmanlike and agreeing to replay the point.

But whatever, refs are human too.

Last edited by YouGotOwned : 04-19-2011 at 09:46 PM.
YouGotOwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM #47
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
nope. Just a cut off tshirt. Raza jersey with factory padding. It was on the webcast field on saturday.
Ah, my bad. Had you switched up with someone else.
venice empire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM #48
gbk2
ubpaintball.com

gbk2 plays in the PSP
gbk2 is an NCPA National Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by fAllout_oMen View Post
saturday morning the ref came over and told us raehl was going to have them do a new rule; if your shot in an obvious place and don't call yourself out, they will pull a penalty, even if you call for a paintcheck.
This is not a new rule. You KNOW when you've got an obvious hit, and it's time to leave the game. Asking for phony paintchecks is CHEATING!

I thought the reffing was really inconsistent though. There were some good refs though, and the ultimate for the AA games was good, but overall some real inconsistencies. Also the refs floundered when it was time to make a tough call, usually it just ended up the spinner was given the benefit of the doubt and both players were pulled. Didn't happen to my team but I saw it a lot.
WELLSVILLE FSU CREW#5

Last edited by gbk2 : 04-19-2011 at 10:30 PM.
gbk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM #49
P8BallDan
who?

P8BallDan is an NCPA player
P8BallDan plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
We had the same issue as well. Our jerseys are up to ncpa specs and everything but they made us cut the sleeves off anyways.
P8BallDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 PM #50
XxcrazymanxX

XxcrazymanxX is a Supporting Member
XxcrazymanxX plays in the PSP
XxcrazymanxX is an NCPA player
reffs suck in general (meaning not this tournament but every one known to man). I just shoot anything that moves on the field, even when they come up to check me (who knows, that reff might have been paid to break a paintball on me so I let him know whose boss before they get a chance)

Otherwise, I thought reffing was great! Love to see local guys participate in reffing and the offical NCPA refs on field 1
Central Florida Paintball
XxcrazymanxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 PM #51
PhoenixLancer
School,Work,Pball..Repeat

PhoenixLancer plays in the PSP
PhoenixLancer supports Team VICIOUS
PhoenixLancer is for the Gunfight
PhoenixLancer plays in the APPA D1 division
Reffing in general sucks! Long hours for less than minimum wage and we get yelled/cussed at and hated when we do our job and blamed when things don't go right. I really had a blast reffing the webcast field. I sound like a broken record, but I got to ref some great paintball games. The college scene has really become greatly competitive.
EKK ELITE
PhoenixLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 AM #52
HoktFonix
TTU & VT PB Ex-President

Annual Supporting Member
HoktFonix plays in the PSP
HoktFonix donated to help Peyton Trent
HoktFonix supports our troops
HoktFonix is an NCPA player
HoktFonix is reppin' sidebar 4 life
HoktFonix is a top reviewer
HoktFonix is Boss
Quote:
saturday morning the ref came over and told us raehl was going to have them do a new rule; if your shot in an obvious place and don't call yourself out, they will pull a penalty, even if you call for a paintcheck.

We had the first game of the day on saturday, and received a lot of penalties. A LOT. I don't think it's fair to introduce a new rule halfway through the tournament.
The rule is that if its obvious enough that you can check it yourself and instead don't look and just call for a paintcheck then its a penalty, so not really a new thing

I agree with you on consistency being the main thing though, regardless of what is called

VIRGINIA TECH X-BALL ALUMNI
TEXAS TECH PAINTBALL ALUMNI
HoktFonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM #53
DoughBoy239
anti obama

DoughBoy239 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:

We had the first game of the day on saturday, and received a lot of penalties. A LOT. I don't think it's fair to introduce a new rule halfway through the tournament. We did receive penalties on players who called for paint checks and were hit, even if they stopped shooting completely. We also received penalties for players playing on with a pack hit, which is normally considered unobvious.

We played 3 matches on friday, and got 1 penalty the whole day. Saturday we received something like 7-it was night and day. I saw the refs neglecting to give penalties to teams later in the day for the exact reasons we got them. Such as the getting hit and calling for a paintcheck on an "obvious" spot. My only complaint is that they weren't consistent w/ their penalties for the new rule they were supposed to enforce.

edit; not trying to be a dick, because reffing all-around was great. in all my matches i never had a problem where i had shot someone and they werent pulled out. that normally happens at least a few times an event when im playing. field to field there were probably some differences, but overall on the xball fields i thought they did a good job.
it was not a "new rule". if u look at a ref with an obvious hit and dont get out right away or ask for a paint check with an obvious hit, they have every right to throw the flag. their were some dirty players out there and they paid the price. but overall great event. fun to watch.
Boogie Fan #13
LOOKING FOR ALL FLEX PARTS
DoughBoy239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM #54
Ktmouse

Ktmouse owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ktmouse is an NCPA player
Ktmouse plays in the APPA D4 division
I liked the job the refs did for the most part with "obvious" hits-

Anyone who has ever used a rotor or similar loaders knows that you can get hit on the opposite side and have no clue, to say its your responsibility to know you've been hit in such a location is incredibly naive.
I specifically recall such an instance where the ref made a judgment call and decided I played on unknowingly and pulled me rather than issuing a major penalty. I saw this happen throughout the day and thought it displayed good judgment on the reffing side.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM #55
bobbythe1
*GEORGIA SOUTHERN EAGLES*

bobbythe1 plays in the PSP
bobbythe1 is an NCPA player
bobbythe1 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktmouse View Post
I liked the job the refs did for the most part with "obvious" hits-

Anyone who has ever used a rotor or similar loaders knows that you can get hit on the opposite side and have no clue, to say its your responsibility to know you've been hit in such a location is incredibly naive.
I specifically recall such an instance where the ref made a judgment call and decided I played on unknowingly and pulled me rather than issuing a major penalty. I saw this happen throughout the day and thought it displayed good judgment on the reffing side.
That same thing happened to me.... got hit i'm my rotor and the red flags started flying. We should start a club thread
bobbythe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 AM #56
playinpaintball
Public Enemy

playinpaintball is an NCPA player
playinpaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
Raehl made a new rule that if your jersies are padded you can't have an undershirt. Atleast thats what the liberty guys told me. They had to play without undershirts on saturday
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM #57
Enderle

Enderle is Boss
^ i heard the same thing
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM #58
thisistodd

Why the new rule?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM #59
HoktFonix
TTU & VT PB Ex-President

Annual Supporting Member
HoktFonix plays in the PSP
HoktFonix donated to help Peyton Trent
HoktFonix supports our troops
HoktFonix is an NCPA player
HoktFonix is reppin' sidebar 4 life
HoktFonix is a top reviewer
HoktFonix is Boss
I don't think their padding was measured so I don't think they should have made them take off undershirts

9. Equipment
9.1. Clothing
9.1.1. ...Players may wear only one layer of underclothing consisting of... one short or long sleeve t-shirt, provided that it contains no padding....
9.1.4. Padding in jerseys is not limited to specific areas; provided that the thickness does not exceed 5mm (0.197”) Padding material is limited to an open cell foam and must not be modified from the manufacture’s original form.

VIRGINIA TECH X-BALL ALUMNI
TEXAS TECH PAINTBALL ALUMNI
HoktFonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 AM #60
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by P8BallDan View Post
We had the same issue as well. Our jerseys are up to ncpa specs and everything but they made us cut the sleeves off anyways.
They made you cut your jersey sleeves off? Those things are expensive, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinpaintball View Post
Raehl made a new rule that if your jersies are padded you can't have an undershirt. Atleast thats what the liberty guys told me. They had to play without undershirts on saturday
That's crazy talk.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM #61
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
I think their undershirt sleeves.

I saw a few teams having to do it.
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM #62
dman453
Majestic D2X

dman453 plays in the PSP
dman453 is an NCPA player
dman453 plays in the APPA D4 division
That jersey rule is stupid. Thank God we wore longsleeves. lol
ONTARGETPAINTBALL
dman453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM #63
straptrams91
PRESIDENT

Annual Supporting Member
straptrams91 plays in the PSP
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends V
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends VI
straptrams91 supports Team VICIOUS
straptrams91 is an NCPA player
straptrams91 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireAssassin View Post
On Friday, I was watching a prelim game on field 3. It was Towson vs. another team (I think Penn State). At one point Towson called a timeout because I think they didn't have all their players on the field or something along the lines of that. I was standing about where the referees were at midfield and I heard multiple different players from the pit yelling for the timeout, yet the ref just stood there, didn't acknowledge them at all, and ran the point. After witnessing this, I told some of the guys on my team "if we call a timeout on this field, make sure the ref hears it" and seconds later he walked up to the net and said loudly, in my direction, "I didn't hear anything about a timeout." I'm not quite sure if it altered the overall outcome of the game, but it was a clear showing that the reffing at Nationals still needs a good deal of work.
it was against Pitt, and yeah thats pretty much what happened. i personally attempted to call the time out at roughly 25, 20 and 14 seconds left on the clock.. the kid running the scoreboard just sat there and stared at me, as well as the two officials by the air station.. They won by one point in overtime, so yes it technically altered the overall outcome of the game, as we went into OT at the end. It didn't matter in the end, as we still moved on, but the overall disorganization of that point was unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice empire77 View Post
They tried to call a timeout with under 10seconds.
sorry but thats not what happened. Granted, we kept requesting a time out after the 10 second mark hit but like i said before, a timeout was requested multiple times prior to the point.

other than this little ordeal, i thought the refs was fairly good on friday..

Last edited by straptrams91 : 04-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.
straptrams91 is offline   Reply With Quote