Community Focus

Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 AM #1
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

has been a member for 10 years
akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
Am I crazy?

My female airedale died last year, July 17th. Now, some of you are thinking its not a big deal. Well, to me it is.

So I have searched every shelter I can pull up online looking for an airedale, no luck. I then made the decision to look into breeders.

I found a well known breeder (I am doing more research as we speak) who has 1 boy and 1 girl left. They are AKC registered blah blah blah, I don't care about that. What I do care about is the guaranteed health for 2 years and the reputation this breeder has.

Now here is the crazy part. Their location is roughly 10hrs away, maybe more and the dog is $950.

Is spending that much on a dog normal? I've always had rescues

Here's the puppy:

Here is a more recent picture:

Here was my sweet Gracie:
Her little fox terrier sister Gabbie laying on top:
OSTT GURU

Last edited by akward silence : 04-13-2011 at 01:01 AM.
akward silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2011, 01:05 AM #2
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
I'll tell you the same thing that I tell people who are dropping thousands of dollars on vet bills for a dog or cat. There are millions of dogs and cats in shelters right now, for $20, rather than spending some retarded amount on a dog, and fueling breeding like this, why not help an animal that actually needs help? It's just dumb and selfish, not crazy.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 AM #3
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Well, I rescued my other dog and have done so my entire life. The vet bills are no problem and I'm normally not a fan of breeders.

However, this is quite a rare breed unfortunately. I'm pretty set on an airedale, and this seems to be my only option for the time being.
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 AM #4
allenmay8
AKA: Turd Ferguson

Call me selfish but in my opinion when it comes to buying rare breeds like that, it is not that crazy. Yeah, that is a LOT of money for a dog, however they are very uncommon. You will probably not find it in any shelter. Not everyone wants a beagle mix or a lab. You like what you like.

GO STEELERS
allenmay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 AM #5
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Exactly. I love supporting shelters, but I don't want just any dog. I have my mutt and I love her to death, but an airedale is what I am looking for.

Gracie (pictured above) was a rescue, but I haven't seen one since That's good and bad. Good for the dogs, bad for me

Also, the shelters here charge anywhere from $100 to $400 for adoptions.
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 AM #6
IRPancake
ppanackcakakak

I paid $400 for my husky, and drove 7 hours to get her. I wouldn't have done it any other way...except maybe spreading the trip over 2 days Its not like you're trying to find a companion that any shelter will have, you are looking to (don't take this the wrong way) replace a specific type of animal you loved in the past. Even though I myself bought from a breeder, I still think most people should look into shelters before they buy, but what you're looking to do is just fine as well IMO.

On the topic of cost, it all depends on how much its worth to you. Spending a couple hundred extra for exactly what you want isn't that big of a deal when you consider that it will live for 10-Idontknowhowlongthatbreedlivesfor years. Unless you're bargain pet shopping, I'd spend the money
""its a maxima...my car is a special edition v6 twin cam 3.5 liter...we clocked the thing in stock 1/4mile in 12 seconds without anything. the place we dragged it was on a road my friend KNEW to be a quarter mile. the specs were 235 horsepower dont ****ing tell me to get off drugs

edit: timed it with a stop watch 12.35 seconds""

Originally Posted by Spock: "Which part of your life learning, reason and experience dictate that your status in the afterlife depends on your acceptance of a 2000 year old carpenter as your savior?"
IRPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 AM #7
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

I've searched shelters for the past 8 months, no luck

However, my research shows this breeder is very responsible. 1 litter per year, but they will not breed again until all puppies are sold. They offer to buy dogs back if you can't take care of them (cant see why though).

I've wanted an Oorang Airedale for quite some time. The Oorangs are the large variety of Airedale. This seems to be my only option.
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 04:17 AM #8
Oc_rage (Banned)

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
i had a friend who paid i think it was 1k for his pit bull, it has some great genetics though and looks like a champ. unfortunetly, he's a little ***** dog thats scared of everything. looks like he'll eat your face off from a distance, but if you get close you can see he thinks he's as small as a yorkshire terrier
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 AM #9
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Hahaha that's funny.

The only reason I can justify buying this dog is the fact that it is so rarely bred. You are highly unlikely to find one of these in the shelter. Like I said, 8 months and no hits for me / I'm not sure why its so rarely bred, its a fantastic dog! Hypo-allergenic, very low shedding, few health concerns, easy to maintain, low grooming requirements, VERY hearty, easy to train, loyal, calm etc.
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM #10
allenmay8
AKA: Turd Ferguson

Are you kidding me? No way in hell would I pay $1000 for a pit bull. You can find one in any shelter and it is probably going to be 1000x nicer.

GO STEELERS
allenmay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM #11
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

the_silly_taco is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmay8 View Post
Are you kidding me? No way in hell would I pay $1000 for a pit bull. You can find one in any shelter and it is probably going to be 1000x nicer.
people want a specific look, google some razor edge pits.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM #12
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
honestly, if that is the breed of dog you want and have the means to get it...do so. i have an english bulldog and honestly i probably not own any other type of dog again. i guess i am partial to the bullies! but, when it is time for hugo to go on to greater endeavours...i will be rescuing my bulldogs from then on.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM #13
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

English bulldogs are awesome! I wanted one of those as a companion to an airedale.

You know how it is with those though. Prices can be VERY high
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 05:08 PM #14
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
oh, i know first hand! luckilly for me, the only time i have to go to the vet is for his routine shots. my dad'd bulldog on the other hand is a veterinarians dream.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM #15
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Fortunately, Airedales are mainly bred as working dogs. It seems I can buy a tool cheaper than I can buy a pet
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 PM #16
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
you might do a search for airdale rescues. petfinder sometimes has mixes or you might get lucky. otherwise pay up if it is what you want! the dog i wanted was $1500 but when i contacted the lady she was moving so i got a deal. it came down to that was what i wanted so i got it. sometimes in life you can be happy settling sometimes its not worth it.

a lot of people preech about shelter dogs and say they have better genetics (less imbreeding) but it's two sided. with a pure bred you know the problems they are prone to and you have an idea what you are getting into. a shelter dog might have some aggression bred in or something and when it reaches maturity it might try to kill any other dog in sight. you never know.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM #17
comom

Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
I've searched shelters for the past 8 months, no luck

However, my research shows this breeder is very responsible. 1 litter per year, but they will not breed again until all puppies are sold. They offer to buy dogs back if you can't take care of them (cant see why though).

I've wanted an Oorang Airedale for quite some time. The Oorangs are the large variety of Airedale. This seems to be my only option.
From what you've said, I like that they will take the dog back, but ask if that is for the lifetime of the dog. Only breeding once a year isn't as great a thing as the average pet owner things- my mother bred her JRT less than that, and I wouldn't have recommended her dogs to my worse enemy. More important than how often they breed are the breed specific health clearances that do on their adult dogs. Also, what do they do with their dogs that make them worth breeding (breed shows, obedience, tracking, work, etc?) Would you mind sharing the breeder's name? I'd be glad to look at the website. Maybe I can give you a better feel for if the price is too much for this line of dogs.

ETA- this link will better explain what I was trying to say.http://www.airedale.org/choosing.php

Last edited by comom : 04-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 PM #18
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdisc View Post
you might do a search for airdale rescues. petfinder sometimes has mixes or you might get lucky. otherwise pay up if it is what you want! the dog i wanted was $1500 but when i contacted the lady she was moving so i got a deal. it came down to that was what i wanted so i got it. sometimes in life you can be happy settling sometimes its not worth it.

a lot of people preech about shelter dogs and say they have better genetics (less imbreeding) but it's two sided. with a pure bred you know the problems they are prone to and you have an idea what you are getting into. a shelter dog might have some aggression bred in or something and when it reaches maturity it might try to kill any other dog in sight. you never know.
Rescues are asking about $400 to $600 "recommended donation". The nearest rescue also requires yearly home visits. **** that You must also be 25 to adopt a dog from them. None of them even have airedales under 10 years. I wouldn't mind that, but I get too attached to my dogs. Airedales usually live around 12ish years, that would be too hard to deal with

Quote:
Originally Posted by comom View Post
From what you've said, I like that they will take the dog back, but ask if that is for the lifetime of the dog. Only breeding once a year isn't as great a thing as the average pet owner things- my mother bred her JRT less than that, and I wouldn't have recommended her dogs to my worse enemy. More important than how often they breed are the breed specific health clearances that do on their adult dogs. Also, what do they do with their dogs that make them worth breeding (breed shows, obedience, tracking, work, etc?) Would you mind sharing the breeder's name? I'd be glad to look at the website. Maybe I can give you a better feel for if the price is too much for this line of dogs.

ETA- this link will better explain what I was trying to say.http://www.airedale.org/choosing.php
They currently have 12 sires and 12 dams, so over breeding one dog isn't an issue. Each dog has 2 litters with at least 1 year spacing.

I'll PM you the link when I get on the plane.
OSTT GURU
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM #19
comom

Quote:
...They currently have 12 sires and 12 dams, so over breeding one dog isn't an issue. Each dog has 2 litters with at least 1 year spacing.

I'll PM you the link when I get on the plane.
The 12 sires and dams sounds more like someone who is in it for the money than a reputable breeder. However, I know things aren't always how they appear on paper (could be some of the dogs live with co-owners). I'll keep an eye out for your PM.

Safe flight!
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM #20
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

I guess they keep them as family pets after the dogs retire. from what I understand she has some of the sires shown in competitions.
OSTT GURU
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM #21
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Rescues are asking about $400 to $600 "recommended donation". The nearest rescue also requires yearly home visits. **** that You must also be 25 to adopt a dog from them.
the 25 year old thing is exactly why i decided to buy a dog. i tried to adopt a shelter dog and they were pretty hard to work with. i was also renting a place at the time (hard to be a homeowner when you are younger) and so they wouldn't accept that. I decided if i was going to buy a dog i was getting what i wanted.
funny thing is the shelter thought i would make a bad pet owner being a younger college aged guy. my dog has it pretty damn awesome considering im engaged to a vetrinarian!

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote