Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 AM #22
paintballeryan25
 
 
paintballeryan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Nobody else interested in this?
__________________
Team Trogdor The Burninator *****es
AFRICAN WATER HOLE FAN #1
Russian Legion Fan # 556
Konstantin Fedorov Fan #209
Evil Factory Fan # 107
X-Factor Fan #80
paintballeryan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM #23
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NAS Oceana, VA
zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
We are, but there's not much to do or talk about until the game comes out.
__________________
After dark OT:T GDT crew: More RAM than the Himalayas
OT:T:G: We sometimes like gaming, but not really -- but we really like zombies

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM #24
paintballeryan25
 
 
paintballeryan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
We are, but there's not much to do or talk about until the game comes out.
There's this.

__________________
Team Trogdor The Burninator *****es
AFRICAN WATER HOLE FAN #1
Russian Legion Fan # 556
Konstantin Fedorov Fan #209
Evil Factory Fan # 107
X-Factor Fan #80
paintballeryan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 PM #25
Jae.C
 
 
Jae.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Thugs Mansion
Jae.C has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballeryan25 View Post
Update for some more info:

Competitive Live Stream: www.thebrink.tv

Info on character creation: "Characters can seamlessly switch between factions at any time, so no need to make separate ones for each"
How do they plan on doing that? Do you have two "costumes", i.e. resistance clothing/gear and security clothing/gear?
__________________

Most of these *****s think they be mackin but they be actin
Who they attractin with that line, "What's your name, what's your sign"?
Jae.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM #26
paintballeryan25
 
 
paintballeryan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.C View Post
How do they plan on doing that? Do you have two "costumes", i.e. resistance clothing/gear and security clothing/gear?
Free play mode allows for custom lobbies. Also, your character can switch between factions from what I understand.
__________________
Team Trogdor The Burninator *****es
AFRICAN WATER HOLE FAN #1
Russian Legion Fan # 556
Konstantin Fedorov Fan #209
Evil Factory Fan # 107
X-Factor Fan #80
paintballeryan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM #27
Csy_Ericks0n
Cool Catch Phrase
 
Csy_Ericks0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mindrot, ND
Csy_Ericks0n supports Team VICIOUS
Csy_Ericks0n supports Bob Gurnsey
Csy_Ericks0n is an NCPA player
Csy_Ericks0n supports Pev's Paintball
Cant wait for this game, already got it pre-ordered!
__________________
Aimless Factory
Csy_Ericks0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM #28
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.
 
Death_Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Frederick MD.
 has been a member for 10 years
It looks like The Specialist mod for HL.
__________________
"Originally posted by Pelto123: if this how u act in real life u dont have to worry about smashing anyone anytime soon"
Death_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 PM #29
Terd Fergusen
HOTDOG AND SWEETHOG
 
Terd Fergusen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Queen City
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i traded in a few games for this and put like $35 down. based on the reviews i'm reading right now...i don't want to go pick this up. i'm not trying to be disappointed by a 5th FPS game in less than a year.
__________________
XBL- MAMM0TH GRINDER


Terd Fergusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM #30
Jae.C
 
 
Jae.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Thugs Mansion
Jae.C has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I caved in and bought it even though PSN is down. Its alot of fun for single player, I can't wait to play online.
__________________

Most of these *****s think they be mackin but they be actin
Who they attractin with that line, "What's your name, what's your sign"?
Jae.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM #31
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base
 
papaintballer15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: sticks of PA
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
preordered last night on steam, downloaded while I slept. Played when I got home today. I put 2 hours into it, I like it. Very smooth and fast paced gameplay. ALOT of customization, however those customizations require challenges to be completed, ranks to be had, level and rank points/coins to be gathered. You can customize both a resistance and a security player to your liking, that way you have your ideal setup for each side.

Im currently running a Heavy in soldier class with minigun (using the soldiers ammo skill you can get an extra 200 rounds) with one of the AR's as a secondary with green-eye sight, extended mag and underbarrel grenade launcher.

The campaign is short, and its similar to shadowrun and some of the smaller objective team based games out there like Team fortress, quake wars and such. However it has a Fast pace feel compared to most of the most played FPS's. I really like the movement and ability to scale anywhere on the maps, light classes can go up over larger objects to get to parts of the maps that otheres cant. My only real complaints with it is that in challenges you cant unlock the equipment unless you play solo which kind of sucks. and also that the game overall is just short but its very fun and addicting.
__________________
Part of my Evo collection for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4027625
papaintballer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM #32
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I watched some vids and i didnt like the fact that the game mode is based on the map. Like you cant just chose to play one game mode. Whatever map comes up is the game mode you have to play and it never changes, so im sure itll get boring quick
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 PM #33
Csy_Ericks0n
Cool Catch Phrase
 
Csy_Ericks0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mindrot, ND
Csy_Ericks0n supports Team VICIOUS
Csy_Ericks0n supports Bob Gurnsey
Csy_Ericks0n is an NCPA player
Csy_Ericks0n supports Pev's Paintball
Got this game today, everything i expected, this game is awesome!!!
__________________
Aimless Factory
Csy_Ericks0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 AM #34
Terd Fergusen
HOTDOG AND SWEETHOG
 
Terd Fergusen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Queen City
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
I watched some vids and i didnt like the fact that the game mode is based on the map. Like you cant just chose to play one game mode. Whatever map comes up is the game mode you have to play and it never changes, so im sure itll get boring quick
on that one map the 'game mode' is based on, there are dozens of objectives. each class has several to choose from, as well as a series of primary objectives. Engineers can repair blockades to restrict access to certain entrances for a short time, they can also build turrets, repair things like cranes which will open new pathways, escort VIPs, etc. Soldiers have to blow up objectives, defend points, and so on and so on. Literally no game plays out the same way. There were times I didn't realize I had been playing the same map because each game I did completely different things and went to different spots on the map.

i didn't like the game at first, but the more i play the more i like it. if you have two fully competent teams, there can be some pretty epic battles. i can certainly see it getting stale after a while without regular content updates though. one thing i wasn't expecting to be let down with though, is the customization. it's still really good, don't get me wrong. but it isn't really good. i was so excited to scroll through endless lists of customization options to perfect my character exactly how i wanted him. sadly, that isn't possible. several 'apparel' slots seem to be lacking in content and there isn't even a way to customize your own color scheme besides a few stock choices. fortunately essentially all of this can be fixed with DLC.

another positive thing i noticed about brink was that it's not a frustrating game to play like other FPS are. if you nerd rage at this game you need to stop playing video game.
__________________
XBL- MAMM0TH GRINDER


Terd Fergusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 AM #35
DiStUrBeD-SoP-
We want the airwaves back
 
DiStUrBeD-SoP-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lower Manhattan
so basically it's just a gimmick game (like i've been saying since the day it was announced) and will get old after a few weeks when everyone unlocks all the pretty shirts and repairs the crane for the 2000th time since there are only like 8 maps.
__________________
ST:T:G And god did say to Noah "Noah, you must construct additional pylons."
Love is the Movement
I accidentally all of the memes.
DiStUrBeD-SoP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM #36
Terd Fergusen
HOTDOG AND SWEETHOG
 
Terd Fergusen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Queen City
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Ugh...what games now a days aren't gimmick games? (crysis 2: stealth & armor, Halo: suit mods, CoD: killstreaks, etc.) i could call any game a gimmick game. You sound like you WANTED this to do poorly just so you can be right. if you really think the game is that bad, why don't you make your way out of the thread?
__________________
XBL- MAMM0TH GRINDER


Terd Fergusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 AM #37
paintballeryan25
 
 
paintballeryan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiStUrBeD-SoP- View Post
so basically it's just a gimmick game (like i've been saying since the day it was announced) and will get old after a few weeks when everyone unlocks all the pretty shirts and repairs the crane for the 2000th time since there are only like 8 maps.
It's basically like warzone in killzone, except instead of doing one mission at a time, you do several. Not gimicky to me, takes a lot of skill and coordination. I bought if for ps3, and it's awesome since the psn is down, because the single player is basically just multiplayer with bots and you still get xp.
__________________
Team Trogdor The Burninator *****es
AFRICAN WATER HOLE FAN #1
Russian Legion Fan # 556
Konstantin Fedorov Fan #209
Evil Factory Fan # 107
X-Factor Fan #80
paintballeryan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM #38
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.
 
The_Leech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terd Fergusen View Post
Ugh...what games now a days aren't gimmick games? (crysis 2: stealth & armor, Halo: suit mods, CoD: killstreaks, etc.) i could call any game a gimmick game. You sound like you WANTED this to do poorly just so you can be right. if you really think the game is that bad, why don't you make your way out of the thread?
This.

I am simply trying to understand what define what's gimmick from what's not in this industry and it's hard not to have a 'gimmick' anymore. With FPS's, and other genre's everything has stagnated. Something has to make the game stand out, in some way. Sometimes it's by accident, sometimes it's on purpose. But when people try to get creative just a little bit, apparently it's a gimmick?

So I has bullets? I can choose my way of shooting said bullets? I has gimmick?

I has shirt? I can wear a different shirt? I has gimmick?

I has wall? I can strafe said wall? I has gimmick?
__________________
THAT DAMN PENGUIN

JT IMPULSE AND HOSTILE ROGUE FT!
I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM #39
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terd Fergusen View Post
on that one map the 'game mode' is based on, there are dozens of objectives. each class has several to choose from, as well as a series of primary objectives. Engineers can repair blockades to restrict access to certain entrances for a short time, they can also build turrets, repair things like cranes which will open new pathways, escort VIPs, etc. Soldiers have to blow up objectives, defend points, and so on and so on. Literally no game plays out the same way. There were times I didn't realize I had been playing the same map because each game I did completely different things and went to different spots on the map.

i didn't like the game at first, but the more i play the more i like it. if you have two fully competent teams, there can be some pretty epic battles. i can certainly see it getting stale after a while without regular content updates though. one thing i wasn't expecting to be let down with though, is the customization. it's still really good, don't get me wrong. but it isn't really good. i was so excited to scroll through endless lists of customization options to perfect my character exactly how i wanted him. sadly, that isn't possible. several 'apparel' slots seem to be lacking in content and there isn't even a way to customize your own color scheme besides a few stock choices. fortunately essentially all of this can be fixed with DLC.

another positive thing i noticed about brink was that it's not a frustrating game to play like other FPS are. if you nerd rage at this game you need to stop playing video game.
Thats not really the point i was trying to make. What if i just wanted to play death match? i cant do that. If i want to win im forced to play the objective.

The way gamers are these days, it wont surprise me if it only takes a couple weeks for everyone to figure out the best way to play each map and the game turns into every single game playing out the exact same way because its "the best way". It happens in every FPS.
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE


Last edited by MutR. : 05-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 AM #40
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.
 
The_Leech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
Mutr, does make a great point. Objective based gameplay shouldn't be it can only happen this way or this way only, anymore. It should be one of those. "Well if this objective is finished in time..." or "this certain objective isnt taken when this one is...." type of things.
Objective gameplay should be played to keep you on your toes and keep you guessing.
__________________
THAT DAMN PENGUIN

JT IMPULSE AND HOSTILE ROGUE FT!
I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 PM #41
paintballeryan25
 
 
paintballeryan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
Thats not really the point i was trying to make. What if i just wanted to play death match? i cant do that. If i want to win im forced to play the objective.

The way gamers are these days, it wont surprise me if it only takes a couple weeks for everyone to figure out the best way to play each map and the game turns into every single game playing out the exact same way because its "the best way". It happens in every FPS.
Every other game has very static routes, choke points, and bottlenecks, and usually a building somewhere that overlooks them for people to camp in. Brink offers many routes to different objectives and you can do different objectives first. So people won't go the same way every time or even very often at all. If anything its far less repetitive than any other game, and yet it gets bashed.

It amazes me the "flaws" people come up with just because a game isn't cod. Nobody has even mentioned the only flaw the game really has, which is not having lobbies/match reports. Even that though, is designed to force people to play objectively as a team and not just camp so people think they are good when in reality they are not.
__________________
Team Trogdor The Burninator *****es
AFRICAN WATER HOLE FAN #1
Russian Legion Fan # 556
Konstantin Fedorov Fan #209
Evil Factory Fan # 107
X-Factor Fan #80
paintballeryan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM #42
Terd Fergusen
HOTDOG AND SWEETHOG
 
Terd Fergusen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Queen City
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
Thats not really the point i was trying to make. What if i just wanted to play death match? i cant do that. If i want to win im forced to play the objective.

The way gamers are these days, it wont surprise me if it only takes a couple weeks for everyone to figure out the best way to play each map and the game turns into every single game playing out the exact same way because its "the best way". It happens in every FPS.
Yeah haha at first that was directed towards you but I kind of rambled as I went on so I got a little off base. The point you are making is coming up all over the place in different reviews/forums though. I understand that sometimes you just want to play TDM and kill people. But there's CoD, Halo, Homefront, Crysis, and a zillion other FPS you can go play that game type on. Brink was and has always been developed and advertised as an objective based, team-play encouraging FPS. (Those are nearly impossible to find in a TDM playlist.) Besides, if there were deathmatch or TDM playlists eventually it would devolve into everyone using essentially the same gun, body type, abilities, etc.

To your point, I do think this game could benefit from an arena-style game type. As strange as it sounds, WoW comes to mind. I think it would be pretty dope to have a TDM-style battleground with small(er), very intricate maps and a round system (best out of 3 or something). Maybe throw some small objectives in to help turn the tide of battle. (Building MG nests, clearing debris to open new pathways, etc.) Perhaps even clan support and a ladder where clans could directly challenge each other? There would have to be some rules in place first, or else it would just be only battles of heavies running medic trains. This is all obviously wishful thinking but I think it would work a lot better than straight up deathmatch or TDM, not to mention it could open the door to very competitive clan play and a lot more content. (Additional arena game types like CTF, or something a la Alterac Valley where each team has to fight through several large checkpoints of AI [and enemy players] to get to the enemy leader [a boss] and take him out.)
__________________
XBL- MAMM0TH GRINDER



Last edited by Terd Fergusen : 05-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Terd Fergusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump