Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM #1
LordOderus

My launcher vids

I finished my new launcher for the season. All told it cost me around $60 to build. Around $30 of that cost was the pressure washer handle that I bought from Tractor Supply, but they can be bought in many hardware stores.

The input for the handle is plumbed down to a tippman ASA using brass gas line fittings. The fittings are rated for 1800 psi and up.

The output of the pressure handle is threaded into a steel nipple, then into a pvc clean out, into a larger pvc clean out, into a 2 inch pipe for the barrel.

There is NO air chamber. When the trigger of the pressure washer is squeezed, it fills the lines with liquid C02 which expands pushing the rocket out of the barrel. The washer handle itself is rated for 5100 psi, so there's no chance on blowing it out.

I am currently getting between 200 and 300 feet depending on winds and such. The launcher isn't very efficient, I am getting about 10-12 shots per 9oz tank. Another draw back is it MUST be a CO2 tank, no HPA. Also, it can't be an anti siphon tank. I plan on testing it with a remote line next. I believe I will have better efficiency, but less range that way.

Below are 2 videos I made today with it. I apologize for the sound, it was pretty windy out this morning, you aren't missing me say anything important though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZOcw9BaWCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgYo228Q_w

Let me know what you all think and if you have any questions!
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM #2
kingofbeer62

The pressure washer handle is a great idea. I am curious as to what speed it is shooting at. Changing the barrel length would probably be the only way to change the muzzle speed. Great job.
kingofbeer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM #3
JESTERTLS

I love it. "This is the greatest thing ever." They never say that after you shoot them only after they shoot you.

And I have always been curious on that design of launcher. Light weight, compact, appears to be pretty easy to build as well. I couldnt really tell in the first video (my eyes aint as good as they use to be), but what range are you getting? Looked to be pretty good.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM #4
Abnmp78

great stuff!!!!!
Abnmp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM #5
LordOderus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTERTLS View Post
I love it. "This is the greatest thing ever." They never say that after you shoot them only after they shoot you.

And I have always been curious on that design of launcher. Light weight, compact, appears to be pretty easy to build as well. I couldnt really tell in the first video (my eyes aint as good as they use to be), but what range are you getting? Looked to be pretty good.
Ya it's kinda hard to see. If you look really close you can see it land down by those mail boxes in the distance (the yellow thing) that is a little over 200 feet. Once in awhile I will hit the trigger just right and get a shot out to about 300 feet.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM #6
JESTERTLS

That aint too bad.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM #7
LordOderus

Yeah I am really pleased with how it came out. Especially considering the cost. I just need to get a sling for it now. Still have to test it on the remote line too, see how it works that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTERTLS View Post
That aint too bad.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 PM #8
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

One of our guy had made one a few years ago. What he found was the more liquid you get into it the better the range. He made an anti-anti siphon tube. Basically he added a weight to a tube to make it suck up liquid. It worked great but he did say sometime you don't know if you hit the target cause of the cloud of co2. Saying that not sure if a remote line will work very well since it gives the liquid some time to expand.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:12 AM #9
JESTERTLS

That's what I was thinking too. The remote might kill the range on it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM #10
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
ThorsHammer45 is BST Legit
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends V
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VI
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VII
ThorsHammer45 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThorsHammer45 supports Team VICIOUS
Launcher

This is AWESOME!! Best build I have seen to date. I was thinking about dropping the coin for a Havoc but this looks sweet. Think I might try building one this weekend. If I have any questions, I might hit you up! Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.
ThorsHammer45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM #11
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
One more thing..were you thinking about running a 12g CO2 charger on the bottom instead of a big tank? You would get one shot per fill but an even lighter, tighter package. Just a thought...
Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 AM #12
LordOderus

I have considered running a 12 gram changer off it. I don't have one, and my local shop doesn't carry any. One of these days I will get around to ordering one offline.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 PM #13
bwolf88

bwolf88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
bwolf88 supports Pev's Paintball
bwolf88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
purchase

This is an amazing idea. would you be willing to sell or make another and sell?
bwolf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 AM #14
LordOderus

I would consider it. Let me run up a parts list and figure out how long it would take and come up with a possible price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolf88 View Post
This is an amazing idea. would you be willing to sell or make another and sell?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM #15
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
Hpa

Hey..I was thinking more about this. You could run air on this..just use a 13ci Ninja tank....and before using, take the tank down to 200-300 psi low pressure (by removing the shims like on all Ninja tanks). This way, you could run air on it all day long instead of CO2 (which normally is at around 850psi in the tank. This would actually be safer and easier to use, especially in colder weather.

Also...wonder if you could run some kind of regulator to adjust air flow for dictating launch speeds. Many fields would want to chrono this before play. Did you ever have a chance to chrono it yourself? Just some additional thoughts. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:53 PM #16
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Based on the one we had a few years ago it worked a lot better with the CO2 liquid. I'm assuming LordOderus works the same way.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM #17
LordOderus

Yeah I tried it with HPA and got terrible range. It needs to be Co2 so that the liquid is pulled into the barrel and expands as the rocket leaves. I also found a terrible flaw in my design, but one with an easy fix. The valve in the pressure washer doesn't seal closed tight enough, so it slowly leaks down the barrel. It is very faint, so I didn't notice it till this weekend. Over the course of a long game, it could potentially drain the tank, or at very least, lower your shot count. The simple solution is to use an On/off Co2 tank or On/off ASA. Turn the tank on before you shoot, turn it off again right after. Going to swap out the ASA for an ON/OFF in the next few weeks. Hopefully will get my hands on a 12gram changer before then too, so that I may test that out as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 PM #18
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
Co2

Well...that is good to know. A lot cheaper to build and run for sure. Plus..the added benefit of that cool plume when you fire it!! Again...any velocity data by chance?? Don't mean to be nitpicking. That is good to know about the slow leak. Yeah, cheap on/off asa will do the trick. Turn it on right before firing...fire your volley..and then shut her off. Should work fine. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 AM #19
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

The one we had didn't have the slow leak. You may want to try a different power washer spray gun. The velocity of ours was around 125-135fps.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 AM #20
LordOderus

yeah I have no idea about the FPS on this one. I don't have access to a Chrono. Next time I get down to my local shop though, I will see if they can test it for me. !50ish sounds about right though. I can side step the rockets at pretty close range so they can't be going that fast.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM #21
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer62 View Post
The pressure washer handle is a great idea. I am curious as to what speed it is shooting at. Changing the barrel length would probably be the only way to change the muzzle speed. Great job.
Like stated by KingofBeer62 longer barrel gives you more speed up to a certain point. Ours was very short.